PDA

View Full Version : Steelers fully committed to Gilbert

Fire Haley
09-14-2011, 03:32 PM
Marcus Gilbert will start at right tackle Sunday, and the rookie was the Steelers’ first choice to replace Willie Colon after the latter sustained a torn triceps.

The Steelers discussed re-signing Flozell Adams or Max Starks Monday after they learned that Colon had been lost for the season. But they decided to go with Gilbert, the second-round pick out of Florida, and sign a free agent tackle for depth.

Money apparently had nothing to do with them saying thanks but no thanks later when an inquiry was made on Adams’ behalf.

The Steelers are fully committed to Gilbert, and he will get more than one game to prove himself at right tackle.

The Steelers are confident that money or the salary cap won’t be an issue if Gilbert is not ready to start and they have to eventually sign a veteran such as Adams or Starks.

– Scott Brown

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2011/09/14/steelers-fully-committed-to-gilbert/--------------------------

So Flo might be an option afterall?

Fire Arians
09-14-2011, 03:52 PM
can't wait to see what the kid can bring to the table.

stiller39
09-14-2011, 03:56 PM
give the young blood a shot...

DanRooney
09-14-2011, 05:18 PM
I wish they would be fully committed to Ziggy Hood. Or maybe Cameron Heyward.

Steeldude
09-14-2011, 05:19 PM
if not for the injury gilbert would be on the bench for the next 3+ seasons. it's never good to see a player injured, but this may be good for the steelers. IMO, colon is more of a G than T. if gilbert shows promise then they can move colon to RG next season. now the steelers only need to worry about the one of the tackle spots in 2012.

Steeldude
09-14-2011, 05:21 PM

when everyone is injured they will. i doubt hood and heyward will see much playing time. heyward won't see any for 2 or 3 years. you must keep the young players on the bench so the washed up players can start :thumbsup:

DanRooney
09-14-2011, 05:24 PM
when everyone is injured they will. i doubt hood and heyward will see much playing time. heyward won't see any for 2 or 3 years. you must keep the young players on the bench so the washed up players can start :thumbsup:

That's exactly how I feel about it. Heyward was so ****ing good at OSU that it'll frustrate me to see him ride the bench for the season. His transition will be much easier than Ziggy's though so maybe LeBeau will force him in sooner.

truesteelerfan
09-14-2011, 05:41 PM
OK- as long as its only 1 game they give him a shot...can't let that position be yet another weak point in our OL if we want to keep Ben healthy....Poor game and I sure hope we bring a veteran FA in.

Fire Arians
09-14-2011, 05:51 PM
That's exactly how I feel about it. Heyward was so ****ing good at OSU that it'll frustrate me to see him ride the bench for the season. His transition will be much easier than Ziggy's though so maybe LeBeau will force him in sooner.

they'll wait until keisel is 39 years old and getting bowled over on every other play. wait probably not, smith is doing the same thing right now and not getting benched.

by the time we start heyward, he will be halfway toward retiring and it'll be good to know we wasted his best years before we finally put him in

Steelersfan87
09-14-2011, 06:06 PM
if not for the injury gilbert would be on the bench for the next 3+ seasons. it's never good to see a player injured, but this may be good for the steelers. IMO, colon is more of a G than T. if gilbert shows promise then they can move colon to RG next season. now the steelers only need to worry about the one of the tackle spots in 2012.

I don't think this would have been the case at all. They drafted Gilbert because they liked him a lot and they wanted him to be the LT of the future. They cut both of their starting tackles. Had Colon not gone down, I'm pretty sure Gilbert would have been allowed to compete for the LT spot during the season, and would most likely have been the starting LT next season. Now it's even more likely that he'll be the starting LT next season since he'll be getting playing time already.

As far as the whole Colon to G crap goes, I don't see the point of moving a player that is quality at his position to a position that he's never played. Colon is a slightly above average RT. There's no need to move him. And Gilbert would have been at LT next year regardless, so moving Colon would mean that you still need a RT. With Gilbert and Colon at the tackle spots and Pouncey at guard, those positions should be set for at least a few years. What is needed is two guards. I don't think Kemoeatu will survive the salary cap next year. Frankly, I hope he doesn't. If the Steelers can draft a guard in the first 3 rounds that is quality and then sign a competent free agent to take the other guard position, I would be pretty content with the o-line.

Atlanta Dan
09-14-2011, 08:14 PM

IMO that wish will be granted - apparently Smith is already injured - usually Smith makes it out of September before breaking down but perhaps not this year - what a waste of $5 million in cap space

tburhans
09-14-2011, 08:24 PM
Its apparent that no d-linemen with the exception of hampton made any plays sunday. i believe its time for the youth movement to take place on both sides of the ball in the trenches. Gilbert will get his shot at RT this week and imo hood should start at d-end rest of the year with smith backing him up and us parting ways with him after this season, and if Colon is just going to get injured for the next 4 years that isnt doing us any good. I hope Gilbert is successful so we will have 1 pro bowl linemen in pouncey and 2 decent ones in Gilbert and Kemo. And Heyward saw some reps sunday but didnt see too much out of him in the game and preseason, lets hope hes getting better by the day and turns out to be another stud

Steeldude
09-15-2011, 04:12 AM
I don't think this would have been the case at all. They drafted Gilbert because they liked him a lot and they wanted him to be the LT of the future. They cut both of their starting tackles. Had Colon not gone down, I'm pretty sure Gilbert would have been allowed to compete for the LT spot during the season, and would most likely have been the starting LT next season. Now it's even more likely that he'll be the starting LT next season since he'll be getting playing time already.

As far as the whole Colon to G crap goes, I don't see the point of moving a player that is quality at his position to a position that he's never played. Colon is a slightly above average RT. There's no need to move him. And Gilbert would have been at LT next year regardless, so moving Colon would mean that you still need a RT. With Gilbert and Colon at the tackle spots and Pouncey at guard, those positions should be set for at least a few years. What is needed is two guards. I don't think Kemoeatu will survive the salary cap next year. Frankly, I hope he doesn't. If the Steelers can draft a guard in the first 3 rounds that is quality and then sign a competent free agent to take the other guard position, I would be pretty content with the o-line.

T to G is an easy transition they say. i agree, colon is slightly better than average. his short arms hinder him from the quick jab to a defender. he isn't that tall for a tackle either. most teams saw him as a G.

the way i look at is what's available when they pick in 2012. if a choice T is there then move colon. if a choice G is there then leave colon where he is and move gilbert to LT.

i hope kemo goes too. such a physical presence, but dumb as a stump. well, i hope he goes if they have someone to take his spot. i think 2012 is his last year of the contract.

IMO, the steelers let this snowball. they have been getting by with journeymen and low draft picks. i am guessing next year's draft will either be OL, NT or CB

effyou515
09-15-2011, 04:22 PM
IMO that wish will be granted - apparently Smith is already injured - usually Smith makes it out of September before breaking down but perhaps not this year - what a waste of $5 million in cap space

Well atleast this is the last year on Smith's contract but Keisel is signed though 2013 so Hayward has 2 more years to sit on the bench.

effyou515
09-15-2011, 05:26 PM
1st round

Kelechi Osemele OG 6'5" 335lbs Iowa St
or
David DeCastro OG 6'5" 307

2nd

Bobby Massie OT 6'6" 327lbs Mississippi
or
Nate Potter OT 6'6" 298lbs Boise St

a few o-line men the Steelers could land in the 2012 draft

add them with Pouncey and Gilbert and the o-line is fixed with young talent.

Steelersfan87
09-15-2011, 05:30 PM
Not necessarily. I think Heyward has a pretty good chance of starting along with Hood next year. Keisel does not warrant the same kind of loyalty that Smith does. He's only been a starter for the past few years, and he was never at the same talent level either, although he was obviously good enough last year to get a Pro Bowl nod despite missing a few games.

truesteelerfan
09-16-2011, 05:21 PM
1st round

Kelechi Osemele OG 6'5" 335lbs Iowa St
or
David DeCastro OG 6'5" 307

2nd

Bobby Massie OT 6'6" 327lbs Mississippi
or
Nate Potter OT 6'6" 298lbs Boise St

a few o-line men the Steelers could land in the 2012 draft

add them with Pouncey and Gilbert and the o-line is fixed with young talent.

I don't know much about DeCastro or Massie, but I agree....add a couple high picks for OL talent and we can go a long ways....Where else have been weak for so long?

pancake
09-16-2011, 06:08 PM
I think that Gilbert and Colon will be our starting OT next year, with our only new starter being at RG.

I think our first two picks next year are NT and OG.

pete74
09-16-2011, 07:45 PM
I think that Gilbert and Colon will be our starting OT next year, with our only new starter being at RG.

I think our first two picks next year are NT and OG.

agreed

Steel4ever95
09-16-2011, 07:57 PM
Hopefully Gilbert can show everybody something. At least he should get a good tune up game in against the Seahawks on Sunday. Pouncey played right along with him at Florida to and had some high remarks for him, I'm rooting for him to make a name for himself, god knows the Steelers line needs the help.

DanRooney
09-16-2011, 08:14 PM
I think Colon may be in danger of being cut next year. He's only going to have played 1 game in the past 2 season's once this year is over.Coming off two major injuries with the amount of cap room he's taking, I'd be certain we draft another OT in the first or second round and cut ties with him.

Steelersfan87
09-16-2011, 10:45 PM
Kemoeatu is far more at risk of being cut due to salary than Colon, in my opinion. Even speaking injury-wise, Colon has experienced two freak accident injuries, while Kemo seems to have a chronic knee issue. He's also clearly the inferior player.

Steel4ever95
09-17-2011, 04:28 PM
Kemoeatu is far more at risk of being cut due to salary than Colon, in my opinion. Even speaking injury-wise, Colon has experienced two freak accident injuries, while Kemo seems to have a chronic knee issue. He's also clearly the inferior player.
I agree about Kemo being gone after the season is done. I think his contract is up anyways after this year to. It would be very nice to see the Steelers grab an offensive lineman early though, maybe even move up to get a guy they want. I also dont think Colon will be going anywhere anytime soon since he was signed to a new contract.

Wallabeast17
09-17-2011, 08:07 PM
I think Colon may be in danger of being cut next year. He's only going to have played 1 game in the past 2 season's once this year is over.Coming off two major injuries with the amount of cap room he's taking, I'd be certain we draft another OT in the first or second round and cut ties with him.

Yeah I hope so..Clear up some money for Mendy and/or Wallace and whomever else is a FA next year. I believe if Gilbert plays well then he could start there next year or at left tackle and draft another Tackle early in the draft.

And for the people saying to cut Kemo as well...I would be all for it if we had a replacement....

Steelersfan87
09-17-2011, 08:25 PM
But you would be for cutting Colon without a replacement? Unless you're content with Jonathan Scott starting...

Wallabeast17
09-17-2011, 08:38 PM
But you would be for cutting Colon without a replacement? Unless you're content with Jonathan Scott starting...

Gilbert..I'd rather him play and fail.

There are two scenarios:

1. Gilbert plays, maybe not great but learns. Cut Colon and free up money for other FA's.

Or

2. We are stuck with an injury prone tackle and could come back to but us in the future maybe like the playoffs next year (since he is done this year) and then having to rely on Gilbert who we still be trying to lear the position...

Steelersfan87
09-17-2011, 10:24 PM
Gilbert..I'd rather him play and fail.

There are two scenarios:

1. Gilbert plays, maybe not great but learns. Cut Colon and free up money for other FA's.

Or

2. We are stuck with an injury prone tackle and could come back to but us in the future maybe like the playoffs next year (since he is done this year) and then having to rely on Gilbert who we still be trying to lear the position...

Would you rather get rid of Colon and start Gilbert at one tackle and either Scott or a high draft pick rookie at the other tackle, with Kemo still on the line, or have Gilbert and Colon play tackle and draft a guard to replace Kemo instead? You're more likely to get a top flight interior lineman later in the first round than you are a tackle, for one thing. I'd take the latter, personally.

ricardisimo
09-17-2011, 10:53 PM
They just signed him, and you think they'll cut him?

DanRooney
09-17-2011, 11:59 PM
They just signed him, and you think they'll cut him?

It depends on how good he looks at camp. A torn tricep is a very bad injury for a tackle to have. I think we're going o-line in the first round next year regardless if we keep him or not; which kind of sucks because we have so many needs in our secondary and a future NT.

Rick5895
09-18-2011, 10:40 AM
It depends on how good he looks at camp. A torn tricep is a very bad injury for a tackle to have. I think we're going o-line in the first round next year regardless if we keep him or not; which kind of sucks because we have so many needs in our secondary and a future NT.

I tend to agree. I think Colon may just be on his way out. But I think he will get one more year.
Depending on where we draft I am thinking best player available from NT, OT or guard.

MasterOfPuppets
09-18-2011, 12:47 PM
really ? colons contract included 7.5 million in guaranteed money. 1.5 million was paid this year leaving a 6 million balance due. do you think the steelers will be in a position to take a 6 mill in dead money cap hit for colon next year ?

tony hipchest
09-18-2011, 12:53 PM
really ? colons contract included 7.5 million in guaranteed money. 1.5 million was paid this year leaving a 6 million balance due. do you think the steelers will be in a position to take a 6 mill in dead money cap hit for colon next year ?

thats exactly what i was thinking. it would be cheaper to keep him and atleast try to get something out of him. we will be in no position to pay the amortized portion of those bonuses and have them accelerated towards next years cap.

the good thing is we were smart enough to give him 10-1 guaranteed, coming off injury.

MasterOfPuppets
09-18-2011, 01:05 PM
thats exactly what i was thinking. it would be cheaper to keep him and atleast try to get something out of him. we will be in no position to pay the amortized portion of those bonuses and have them accelerated towards next years cap.

the good thing is we were smart enough to give him 10-1 guaranteed, coming off injury.
not only that, he seems to think if they pick a tackle in the frirst 2 rounds he automaticly becomes starter... where was gilbert in the bmore game ? the bench you say ? oh you mean he couldn't beat out a buffalo scrub cast off ? :doh:
pouncey was the exception as far as the steelers go...not the rule.

dreegking
09-19-2011, 12:58 AM

"So many". Those words probably require defining. Obviously in your world things are different than the world most of us live in.

DanRooney
09-19-2011, 01:59 AM
"So many". Those words probably require defining. Obviously in your world things are different than the world most of us live in.

McFadden or Gay will be gone next year. Maybe both. Our coaching staff obviously doesn't have any faith whatsoever in Lewis because I think he'd see the field at #2 corner today with McFadden injured against a terrible Seahawks team who's missing their best receiver. I think Brown was an absolute steal in the 3rd round in this years draft but who knows when he'll get a chance to compete for the nickel spot. Clark and Troy are pretty old and I don't think Clark is very good to begin with. Our backups to them are late 6th round pick Ryan Mundy and Will Allen. Both can easily be upgraded.

So #2 CB/nickle corner are pretty pressing needs. Free safety is up there too. We haven't addressed that position anywhere in the draft in a while.

I think outside of offensive guard, CB and FS are our next priorities in the draft. Some of you guys say NT but we've addressed d-line in the first round of the 2 out of the last 3 drafts. I doubt they do it again.

Steelersfan87
09-19-2011, 03:50 AM
I tend to agree with you, although I would say that nickel is NOT a need at all. At LEAST one of Keenan Lewis, Curtis Brown, or Cortez Allen should be at least good enough to be the nickel CB next season, if the Steelers just so happen to be able to fall headfirst into a starting CB in the draft next year. Safety is definitely an issue as well with both starters being 30+.

SunshineMan21
09-19-2011, 10:02 PM
I'm not a huge fan of Colon in general.

Simply among the worst pass blocking tackles in the game--he's a great run blocker, but I think there's a strong possibility Gilbert will end up being an upgrade.

ricardisimo
09-19-2011, 11:52 PM
#2 corner is set; the job is Brown's starting as soon as next year, assuming he's as good as advertised. I suspect both Lewis and Gay will be back again next year for the nickel and dime spots, along with Allen. So long as Brown develops and Troy stays healthy, our defensive backfield could go from atrocious to pretty darned good in one year. If anything, I'd like to see a mid-rounder to develop behind Clark.

Steelersfan87
09-20-2011, 01:11 AM
I'm not a huge fan of Colon in general.

Simply among the worst pass blocking tackles in the game--he's a great run blocker, but I think there's a strong possibility Gilbert will end up being an upgrade.

This myth needs to be put to rest already.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/06/15/three-year-pass-blocking-efficiency-offensive-linemen/

"We set a minimum of 1000 pass-blocking snaps which left us with 57 tackles in the study. The findings make good reading for those looking for some pass protection help in free agency. Four of our Top 15 are scheduled to hit free agency if and when a new CBA is done – including the man who has the lowest Pass Blocking Efficiency rating over the past three years – even if he did miss all of 2010.

That man is Willie Colon. With Colon missing for the year, the Steelers were without a guy who, over the previous two years, had given up only 43 QB disruptions, and the team finished among the worst pass protection units in the league. By contrast, 2010 saw Flozell Adams give up 46 in 578 snaps in pass protection. So, for a team in need of a sound pass protector on the right side they’d do well to remember just how good Colon has been before injury wiped him from the memory of some.

And, yes, you do have to be good to finish ahead of Jake Long."

Pass Blocking Efficiency, Tackles, Top 15, 2008-2010

Rank Name Pass Blocking Snaps Total Pressures PBE
1 Willie Colon 1333 43 2.66

ricardisimo
09-20-2011, 01:16 AM

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/06/15/three-year-pass-blocking-efficiency-offensive-linemen/

"We set a minimum of 1000 pass-blocking snaps which left us with 57 tackles in the study. The findings make good reading for those looking for some pass protection help in free agency. Four of our Top 15 are scheduled to hit free agency if and when a new CBA is done – including the man who has the lowest Pass Blocking Efficiency rating over the past three years – even if he did miss all of 2010.

That man is Willie Colon. With Colon missing for the year, the Steelers were without a guy who, over the previous two years, had given up only 43 QB disruptions, and the team finished among the worst pass protection units in the league. By contrast, 2010 saw Flozell Adams give up 46 in 578 snaps in pass protection. So, for a team in need of a sound pass protector on the right side they’d do well to remember just how good Colon has been before injury wiped him from the memory of some.

Pass Blocking Efficiency, Tackles, Top 15, 2008-2010

Rank Name Pass Blocking Snaps Total Pressures PBE
1 Willie Colon 1333 43 2.66
Nice. Thank you. I myself assumed that he was just a run-blocker, but it's good to see actual data being analyzed.

tony hipchest
09-20-2011, 01:28 AM

That man is Willie Colon. With Colon missing for the year, the Steelers were without a guy who, over the previous two years, had given up only 43 QB disruptions, and the team finished among the worst pass protection units in the league.

1 Willie Colon 1333 43 2.66 why in the hell would you wanna go muddy the myths with facts and stats???

youre just gonna confuse everyone and have them doubt the company line they been singing.

now i gotta sit back and wait for the inevitable "stats can be twisted to say anything" retort. :dang:

ricardisimo
09-20-2011, 01:46 AM
Tony... please. Numbers don't tell the whole story. Aaron Williams and Curtis Brown might both be 6' 0", but there's tall, and then there's TALL. Know what I mean?

SPUTZSTER
09-20-2011, 12:23 PM

It's hard to be picky when you pitch a shut-out but has anyone noticed that a certain starting d-lineman has not made a tackle in two games -not even an assisted tackle! Hell, Big Ben and Heath Miller have more tackles (two) than Smith. Glad to see Hood is getting more playing time.

ricardisimo
09-20-2011, 12:32 PM
It's hard to be picky when you pitch a shut-out but has anyone noticed that a certain starting d-lineman has not made a tackle in two games -not even an assisted tackle! Hell, Big Ben and Heath Miller have more tackles (two) than Smith. Glad to see Hood is getting more playing time.
In fairness to Aaron Smith, tackling is not really his primary assignment.

effyou515
09-20-2011, 01:32 PM
isnt Colon's built more like a guard?

anyway Kemo is signed through 2013 and Colon through 2015 and the cap hit is the same for both players. they both might be around next season and both might play out their contracts.

steelfury02
09-20-2011, 02:45 PM
I think it is safe to say the division, home field, Super Bowl trip, and Super Bowl win hinges on not being so enamored with Ike taking away the deep threat, trying something different with the secondary where you cloud the short and intermediate routes and at ALL COSTS - hurry the QB, sack the QB, tip the ball, intercept the ball and make it absolutely miserable for the quick-strike QB and his little speedy WRs and tight ends. You figure this out, you figure Brady out, you figure Brady out and you get the AFC. You get to that point, and you have the formula to take out the NFC counterparts in Rodgers or Brees. We are capable of anything ladies and gentlemen but we have to start thinking outside the box . . .C'mon - if the Jets can go into Gillette and get to Brady, so can we.

I'm not buying no fool's gold with a win over a wimpy Seattle team but we have the experience, the energizing youth, and the heart to go after what is ours. ALL HANDS ON DECK . . . :tt03::tt04::tt02::tt:

Fire Arians
09-20-2011, 02:59 PM
Nice. Thank you. I myself assumed that he was just a run-blocker, but it's good to see actual data being analyzed.

chris kemo and justin hardwig both #1 worst pass blockers at their position. not really surprised to hear that. over the years it does seem like pressure up the middle has been much more of a problem than tackles getting beat outside

OX1947
09-20-2011, 04:29 PM
chris kemo and justin hardwig both #1 worst pass blockers at their position. not really surprised to hear that. over the years it does seem like pressure up the middle has been much more of a problem than tackles getting beat outside

I wish kemo had signed with the Jets a few years ago.