PDA

View Full Version : I would not mind a couple of bad seasons................

Ricco Suavez
09-14-2011, 06:41 PM
Ok now before you go Conan on me I didn't say this, but a friend who calls himself a Steeler fan said this after Sundays game. He said we could possibly get some good draft picks instead of always picking near the end of the round. Build up the O-Line and secondary. I said no way, even with high draft choices come high pick signings and we are already in Cap Trouble. High picks also mean if they don't pan out it sets a team back worse than other picks. I know we have needs but I can't see us improving by going backwards. What are your thoughts on this.

BKAnthem
09-14-2011, 06:49 PM
Nah...they can get good picks where they draft...they just need to stop neglecting certain positions when they draft In the first and second round(OL, DB).......... they are finally starting to get it on the OL( Pouncey,Gilbert) lets hope they keep it up, and see what they do about the DB's in future drafts

Atlanta Dan
09-14-2011, 07:11 PM
A couple of bad seasons and it will be time to be looking for a new QB

Ben is in his eighth season and I do not see him being able to play at a top level for any more than 12 seasons max with the beating he takes

Whodis
09-14-2011, 07:22 PM
I think the Browns have been taking your advice for quite a few years

JustinM
09-14-2011, 07:31 PM

not to mention our "old D" getting older...

steelersfanUT
09-14-2011, 07:32 PM
Either way I think we need to start focusing on our future. Yes Benji is getting to that point he can't take the beating he does. We need to possibly focus really hard on either if we work on a great o-line or trying to get lucky by getting some miracle qb. Best bet is to work on the line, sign a qb that can train under Bens watch. I guess kinda like what greenbay has done. Plus there's a positive about having a couple bad seasons and that is it'll weed out all the fake Steelers fans.

gloydfan
09-14-2011, 09:08 PM
first time to post, so I'll keep my opinions to myself for now. just wanted to let you guys know even though I live way down south, I've followed the steelers every since Lambert and company. I've seen them in Miami vs Marino, in Denver vs Elway, and Tn vs McNair, but never been to a home game. Always been a dream of mine, but just haven't been able to make it. As far as last weeks game, it made me sick. But hey, it's just one game and it's a long season.

JustinM
09-14-2011, 09:16 PM
But hey, it's just one game and it's a long season.

the question is...will it be a long season or a loooooooooooooong season.

Fire Arians
09-14-2011, 09:40 PM
hell no, you play to win the game. I don't care if you're 0-15, playing another 0-15 team and the loser gets the #1 pick. you win that shit if you can.

getting high draft picks is overrated anyway. organizations like the bengals get top picks year after year and they still suck. when your team gets used to losing it becomes a trend. being accepting of a losing season is NOT OK, otherwise you end up like cincy

ricardisimo
09-14-2011, 10:18 PM
Which picks, exactly, have been our bad picks?

SH-Rock
09-14-2011, 10:33 PM
Bad Season for high draft picks
or Good-Superb Season to low draft picks.

I guess going to 3 Super Bowls in 6 years doesn't mean squat.

GMU Steeler
09-14-2011, 10:37 PM
Bad Season for high draft picks
or Good-Superb Season to low draft picks.

I guess going to 3 Super Bowls in 6 years doesn't mean squat.

No kidding, since Ben has become our starting QB we've been to the AFC Championship more times than we haven't and have actually won the most SBs of any team in that time frame. And someone already I think said it but ask the Bengals and Browns how having top ten draft picks has worked for them over the years. Some people need to look at the big picture and realize that this has been a quality football team over recent years. Are we perfect, no but a lot of fans of other teams would have killed to have the past half decade we've had.

tony hipchest
09-14-2011, 10:51 PM
Which picks, exactly, have been our bad picks?

every single one that isnt OL or CB (even though our OL and CB picks have been bad as well).

with exception of pouncey, of course. he is the 1st and only hybrid clone of webster and dawson.

ricardisimo
09-14-2011, 11:03 PM
every single one that isnt OL or CB (even though our OL and CB picks have been bad as well).

with exception of pouncey, of course. he is the 1st and only hybrid clone of webster and dawson.
But if our first round picks have all worked out (and they have), what's the advantage to losing?

MACH1
09-14-2011, 11:14 PM
But if our first round picks have all worked out (and they have), what's the advantage to losing?

You get to pay higher picks more $. :noidea:

tony hipchest
09-14-2011, 11:46 PM
But if our first round picks have all worked out (and they have), what's the advantage to losing?just think of the great o-line we'd have.

sure we might have tavaris jackson throwing the ball to terell owens, and handing off to chester taylor, but our cb's would all have great opportunities at fantasy point interceptions while the opposition qb had all day to sit in the pocket. :tap:

CALSTEELER88
09-14-2011, 11:56 PM

Ben is in his eighth season and I do not see him being able to play at a top level for any more than 12 seasons max with the beating he takes

That is exactly what I was thinking. We've been extremely lucky to have this guy this healthy this long. Look at other QB's when they get injured. Carson Palmer has never been the same, Brady is better than ever but was out for a season with his knee injury, Manning, etc. Ben is a bit of a throwback to the old school. Nose broken, straighten it out and get back on the field. Unfortunately Ben has been pounded by defenses like a RB and that takes its toll.

CALSTEELER88
09-15-2011, 12:02 AM
Aaron Rodgers, 24th pick, 1st round. How bad does our record have to be to get the 24th pick?

ricardisimo
09-15-2011, 12:03 AM
We're in 5th-to-last place overall right now, positioning ourselves nicely for the Andrew Luck Olympics. Is this what you're hoping for? :noidea:

CALSTEELER88
09-15-2011, 12:21 AM
We're in 5th-to-last place overall right now, positioning ourselves nicely for the Andrew Luck Olympics. Is this what you're hoping for? :noidea:

Its the "Suck For Luck" campaign!

MACH1
09-15-2011, 12:24 AM
just think of the great o-line we'd have.

sure we might have tavaris jackson throwing the ball to terell owens, and handing off to chester taylor, but our cb's would all have great opportunities at fantasy point interceptions while the opposition qb had all day to sit in the pocket. :tap:

That just might work.

In Madden. :chuckle:

DanRooney
09-15-2011, 01:19 AM
Actually with the rookie salary cap in top 10 picks are a lot more valuable. Our salary cap trouble really won't be affected since they are worth a set X amount of dollars.

rgj
09-15-2011, 03:18 PM
This was the first game that I turned it off after the 2nd play (tipped interception by Ray "Murderer" Lewis.....I hope the Steelers decide to make a game of it this week....

Fire Arians
09-15-2011, 03:51 PM
Aaron Rodgers, 24th pick, 1st round. How bad does our record have to be to get the 24th pick?

Tom Brady, 6th round 199th overall

you don't need to be very high in the draft to get great players

SteelCityMom
09-15-2011, 03:51 PM
I don't like the idea of having a losing team to get draft picks...if you're already a losing team, then you're not going to know how to develop high draft picks properly. Double edged sword and all that.

I wish the Steelers would do a little bit more in the FA department (mainly in concerns to OL and CBs). Gay is alright in certain situations, but BMac hasn't been the same since he messed up his shoulder in '08 (I think it was his shoulder?), and after his little stint with the Cards. I remember he used to be a pretty good nickel back, and pretty much saved the Colts from stealing the AFC game in '05. I remember him doing well in '08 before he got hurt too.

Should have just left him in the desert though...he hasn't been worth jack since.

SteelCityMom
09-15-2011, 03:59 PM

Exactly...it's all about your talent scouts at that point.

Diverting a bit into hockey talk, but the Detroit Redwings have been drafting extremely talented players at lower levels in the draft for 2 1/2 decades now. Players like Pavel Datsyuk came in the 6th round, 171th overall. Zetterberg came in even later the following year. Powerhouse players who will make the HOF.

It's not about drafting high, it's about player development.

effyou515
09-15-2011, 04:35 PM

Cowher drafted Tee Martin in the 3rd round in that draft:banging: and passed on Brady what 6 times.:chuckle: but Brady wasn't much comming out of college.

Fire Haley
09-15-2011, 05:37 PM
I think the Browns have been taking your advice for quite a few years

Like when the Browns passed on Ngata and let B'more move up one spot to take him at #12, they got an extra 6th rd for that... then the Browns took Wimbley, who's now a starter on the Raiders.