PDA

View Full Version : Ravens blitzed 27 times Sunday- statistical analysis

tony hipchest
09-14-2011, 08:16 PM
as per steelersdepot, BR was 13 of 23 for 172 yards & sacked 4 times with 1 INT. 27 blitzes is much higher than league average. the jets led the league last year blitzing about 66% of the time.

the ravens werent even guessing correctly. everytime they blitzed ben was passing.

by comparrison the steelers blitzed flacco 11 times for 3 completions and 55 yds (0 sacks, ints, or tds) http://twitter.com/#!/STATS_NFL/status/114105522361352192/photo/1

this poses an interresting dilemma that some of the o-line uber geniuses here can possibly answer-

ngata is widely regarded as the best d-lineman in the nfl. even suh defers to him. its safe to say he commands a double team on every play.

mount cody is freakishly huge. very few centers are gonna block him one on one. he can legitimately dictate a double team.

terrel suggs is one of the premier pass rushers in the league who is gonna win atleast several one on one battles with a lineman. at the very least he needs chipped with a rb or te (or both to block him).

theoretically, it could take six players just to hold these 3 at bay if theyre all having a good day. who blocks the other DL? a 7th person to block 4? what about the 5th and sometines 6th-7th rushers they are sending on blitzes about 40% of the time.

of course we could use a running back, but there were about 30 plays where a rb wasnt even on the field.

through effective gameplanning, the ravens rendered 2 of our most effective weapons (mendenhall and miller) useless and took them out of the game.

this isnt nothing new. they dusted off an old gameplan from 06 and dictated everything they knew arians would do.

they are familiar enough with us to know that when ben passes for more than 40 times we lose 9 times out of 10.

its really quite simple and logical to figure out but it takes some research, tape review and basic understanding of what goes on during a week (or in this case 6 months) of preparation, but i guess its far easier to complain that our o-line sux.

in teh above link, it is pretty interresting to see how some of the other qb's fared against the blitz. arron rodgers admittedly prefers a blitz with no backfield help and nothing more than the basic 5 man protection scheme. of course this means not waiting for seconds for a play to "develop".

Whodis
09-14-2011, 08:21 PM
I you remember from the super bowl, Arians never deviates from a game plan. Wether the secondary gets injuries or in this case all hell breaks loose on the backfield.

It makes no sense to spread the field out or even go to a "no huddle" to change things up.

BKAnthem
09-14-2011, 08:23 PM
Well our O Line is below average so we won't know what a good/Above average Steeler line would do...we don't have one...

MACH1
09-14-2011, 08:26 PM
I you remember from the super bowl, Arians never deviates from a game plan. Wether the secondary gets injuries or in this case all hell breaks loose on the backfield.

It makes no sense to spread the field out or even go to a "no huddle" to change things up.

Or a blizzarding ice storm.

tony hipchest
09-14-2011, 08:32 PM
Well our O Line is below average so we won't know what a good/Above average Steeler line would do...we don't have one...

so are you one of the new school steelerfans who would prefer they have a most excellent offensive line and a below average defense like the patriots? all them records tom brady sets sure are purdy.

i think fantasy football has ruined alot of fans appreciation for how great the defensive game once was. i guess its just further sissification of the league.
rodger goodell and the owners are proud. the ratings prove it.

too bad modern steelerfans are stuck with old school ownership.

OX1947
09-14-2011, 09:01 PM
With as much trouble as the Steelers have with the spread offense, that isnt a major issue. Only a few Qbs cant take advantage of that. If you watch Aaron Rodgers in the Super Bowl, he was putting the ball in places i couldnt imagine. He was so accurate he made brady look like Big Ben against the Ravens. HOWEVER, what killed the Steelers in that game, was the offense and especially Ben Roethlisberger. If Ben doesnt make mistakes, there wouldnt be issues with all this. Ben is killing this team with his turnovers. He needs to fix it or after this year, Steelers need to start thinking about how they want to go about this. And they really need to get a offensive coordinator that can actual coach, what the **** are these guys doing.

Fire Arians
09-14-2011, 09:05 PM
so are you one of the new school steelerfans who would prefer they have a most excellent offensive line and a below average defense like the patriots? all them records tom brady sets sure are purdy.

i think fantasy football has ruined alot of fans appreciation for how great the defensive game once was. i guess its just further sissification of the league.

wow man, he did not mention rather having a bad defense, fantasy football, or tom brady. where did all that come from?

I don't think it's unreasonable to want the quarterback we paid 100 million to not get hit every other play

tony hipchest
09-14-2011, 09:25 PM
wow man, he did not mention rather having a bad defense, fantasy football, or tom brady. where did all that come from?

I don't think it's unreasonable to want the quarterback we paid 100 million to not get hit every other play

why are you running to his defense? i didnt attack him, and im sure he's a big boy who can handle himself. he really didnt mention much of anything... just typical ramblings. :hunch:

all i did was ask a simple question. its a zero sum game.

with the salary cap, a team cant PLAN to have and keep both a great defense and great offense like the 80s 49ers or 90s cowboys.

through great drafting and signing several mid range free age.nts, a team can luck into it for a few years.

if the steelers want excellent protection for ben it will come at the expense of this centuries most dominant defense.

its pretty simple. thats just how it is. many of the current younger fans just expect us to always have both.

plus arians gameplan and offensive identity is to play to bens strengths, with is to ditch the FB, have him under constant durress, and scramble around for 5 seconds while the deep shot routes downfield "develop".

im pretty sure arians logic says that giving ben a solid pocket to stand around in is playing to bens weakness. he's a mad genius i tell you. doing the exact opposite of what is conventional or should be done will trick them every time. :dang:

BKAnthem
09-14-2011, 09:42 PM
why are you running to his defense? i didnt attack him, and im sure he's a big boy who can handle himself.

all i did was ask a simple question. its a zero sum game.

with the salary cap, a team cant PLAN to have and keep both a great defense and great offense like the 80s 49ers or 90s cowboys.

through great drafting and signing several mid range free age.nts, a team can luck into it for a few years.

if the steelers want excellent protection for ben it will come at the expense of this centuries most dominant defense.

its pretty simple. thats just how it is. many of the current younger fans just expect us to always have both.

plus arians gameplan and offensive identity is to play to bens strengths, with is to ditch the FB, have him under constant durress, and scramble around for 5 seconds while the deep shot routes downfield "develop".

im pretty sure arians logic says that giving ben a solid pocket to stand around in is playing to bens weakness. he's a mad genius i tell you. doing the exact opposite of what is conventional or should be done will trick them every time. :dang:

Check it out Homer....The Steelers have the best Defensive Line Coach (IMO) in football...that means i believe the Steelers can afford to take a raw Dlineman in say RD's 3-5 and be coached up Given that he wouldn't start anyway as you currently see since they have 2 first rounders coming off the bench.....now they don't have that Luxury on the O line, so they should be looking to get as close to NFL ready players as possible, and they should have been doing that ( Rd 1-2) since 2008.....Now currently they have a stout D-Line, Damn good backers and a sieve of a secondary...but they still manage to get the Job done....O-Line? nope...even though with a 100 mil QB you would want to invest a first or second rounder in that area and not just the last 2 years......the reason they haven't is why Ben is one hit away from getting beheaded or Mendy having to do a Barry Sanders impersonation (as far as getting yards on his own)......but your cool with that so...i'm wasting keystrokes

JustinM
09-14-2011, 09:50 PM
Or a blizzarding ice storm.

a BLITZzard!!!!

I'm claiming this term :)))

tony hipchest
09-14-2011, 09:58 PM
Check it out Homer....The Steelers have the best Defensive Line Coach (IMO) in football...that means i believe the Steelers can afford to take a raw Dlineman in say RD's 3-5 and be coached up Given that he wouldn't start anyway as you currently see since they have 2 first rounders coming off the bench.....now they don't have that Luxury on the O line, so they should be looking to get as close to NFL ready players as possible, and they should have been doing that ( Rd 1-2) since 2008.....Now currently they have a stout D-Line, Damn good backers and a sieve of a secondary...but they still manage to get the Job done....O-Line? nope...even though with a 100 mil QB you would want to invest a first or second rounder in that area and not just the last 2 years......the reason they haven't is why Ben is one hit away from getting beheaded or Mendy having to do a Barry Sanders impersonation (as far as getting yards on his own)......but your cool with that so...i'm wasting keystrokes

wasting boldfaced strokes indeed.... :jerkit:

listen homeslice, between 2004 and 2009 the steelers have wasted 1st round picks on-

a hunnerd million dollar qb
a sb mvp wr
and a top 5-10 running back and TE.

not to mention the most superbowl appearances since their OL neglect began.

what more do you want? oh... may bad... BK wants O-Line.

quit whining already, you ungrateful sob.

and while youre at it, quit contradicting yourself. the steelers have spent two 1-2 round picks on OL since 2008 (3 drafts) and 3 if you count urbick as their 2nd pick in 09.

but i get it. some people just arent happy unless they are constantly negative and crying.

JustinM
09-14-2011, 09:58 PM

young Steelers fan here and you'll be proud to know that I picked up the Steelers D semi early in my draft. Dumb move I know but I don't care!

ricardisimo
09-14-2011, 11:35 PM
I watched Aaron Rodgers during this last Saints game. I think I saw him go through a progression something like three or four times all game, rather than just throwing immediately to his hot read. He was spotting shit at the line all game long and just going with it. It helps, of course, that the Saints couldn't tackle my grandma (and she's been dead for thirty years.)

So, yeah, who needs blitz pick-up under those conditions? Roethlisberger is clearly not in the same mold. The only quick passes Ben ever throws are those fukking bubble screens for two yard losses (when was the last time one of those worked?)

The question is so obvious, and yet it still needs to be asked: don't you actually have to play a running back if you're going to make the claim of committing to the run (or "running more effectively", or whatever)? Isn't Arians just simply lying to his boss, his players and the fans every time he says shit like that?

MattsMe
09-14-2011, 11:59 PM

:stupid:

steelerjim58
09-15-2011, 02:19 AM
Qoute: i think fantasy football has ruined alot of fans appreciation for how great the defensive game once was. i guess its just further sissification of the league.

All of the rule changes over the years are what has diminished the appreciation of the defensive game. Todays NFL is turning into the old AFL, a bunch of 35-30 games. As I have said in other posts, unless you can get a great pass rush with just 4 men rushing, qbs like Brees, Rogers, and Brady will carve up any d. So I would definitely prefer a monster o-line and take my chances with a middle of the road defense.

Steelersfan87
09-15-2011, 02:42 AM
I watched Aaron Rodgers during this last Saints game. I think I saw him go through a progression something like three or four times all game, rather than just throwing immediately to his hot read. He was spotting shit at the line all game long and just going with it. It helps, of course, that the Saints couldn't tackle my grandma (and she's been dead for thirty years.)

So, yeah, who needs blitz pick-up under those conditions? Roethlisberger is clearly not in the same mold. The only quick passes Ben ever throws are those fukking bubble screens for two yard losses (when was the last time one of those worked?)

The question is so obvious, and yet it still needs to be asked: don't you actually have to play a running back if you're going to make the claim of committing to the run (or "running more effectively", or whatever)? Isn't Arians just simply lying to his boss, his players and the fans every time he says shit like that?

Can we please at least wait another week before we start the whole abandoning the run thing again? The Steelers were down every time they touched the ball on offense, and it got worse almost every time their offense wasn't on the field. If the game were closer, I'm sure they would have run more; and I'm sure they'll run more on Sunday.

Danny136200
09-15-2011, 03:05 AM

I wouldn't call it a Sissification, more like an evolution. I love the steelers defense, and I hope 20 years down the road, we still have a top 5 Defense in the NFL. But the fact of the matter is, the Steeler defense needs to evolve with the passing offenses of the league today.

JustinM
09-15-2011, 03:18 AM
I wouldn't call it a Sissification, more like an evolution. I love the steelers defense, and I hope 20 years down the road, we still have a top 5 Defense in the NFL. But the fact of the matter is, the Steeler defense needs to evolve with the passing offenses of the league today.

Is it just me or does it seem like it's easier to sling the ball around to WR's than it is to find a bunch of CB's (or w/e position covers em) who can cover these WR's at all times (or atleast most times). [basically what i'm saying is that it's easier for offenses; harder for defenses]

Rick5895
09-15-2011, 07:54 AM
We can blame the OL for a bad perfromance, we can blame Ben for throwing pics and turnovers (and he was awful on Sunday) I blame our offensive scheme more than anything else. Very few quick release passes (other than the idiotic bubble screen). Our pass plays take time to develop because of the speed we have at receiver we seem to try to clear the DB's and use deep crossing routes, or throw deep posts and go routes, that takes more than 3 seconds. When a D brings more people on the rush than we have blocking, guess what, sack , forced fumble etc. Even teams with the best OL in the game can't block 6 or 7 with 5
However those teams that do put the OL in that predicament, GB NE to name a couple, also have outstanding QB's and quick 3 yard slants that are turned into big plays with a missed tackle because of speed.
This is something we should be doing, especially with our speed at receiver. Catch the 3-5 yard pass and let the WR run with the ball.

Until we start to adjust our routes and throw quicker routes, this is going to be common place.

:tt04:

BKAnthem
09-15-2011, 11:03 AM
wasting boldfaced strokes indeed.... :jerkit:

listen homeslice, between 2004 and 2009 the steelers have wasted 1st round picks on-

a hunnerd million dollar qb
a sb mvp wr
and a top 5-10 running back and TE.

not to mention the most superbowl appearances since their OL neglect began.

what more do you want? oh... may bad... BK wants O-Line.

quit whining already, you ungrateful sob.

and while youre at it, quit contradicting yourself. the steelers have spent two 1-2 round picks on OL since 2008 (3 drafts) and 3 if you count urbick as their 2nd pick in 09.

but i get it. some people just arent happy unless they are constantly negative and crying.

Urbick was a 3rd rounder....they traded out of the second round Homer and it turns out he wasn't even worth that....2 O-lineman in the first 2 rounds of 4 years drafts when you know it's a weakness?:banging:... And i wrote from 2008- to current, not 2004-09, pay attention..... this O-Line sucks and i'm a whining sob because i have the nerve to not want my $100M QB killed....

Steelersfan87
09-15-2011, 02:08 PM
Urbik is a starting guard in the league...just not with the Steelers. I also doubt that anybody actually watched the Bills game to see how he did.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2011091104/2011/REG1/bills@chiefs/watch

Here is the highlights from that game. Urbik is RG, #60. Obviously there's really not much to analyze here, but I do notice that he pulls effectively on one play.

cloppbeast
09-15-2011, 03:00 PM
they are familiar enough with us to know that when ben passes for more than 40 times we lose 9 times out of 10.

Enough said. Ben sucks.

Fire Arians
09-15-2011, 03:07 PM
Enough said. Ben sucks.

i hear kordell stewart is not officially retired...............................

effyou515
09-15-2011, 04:02 PM
Think it has more to do with the offensive scheme.

3rd down and 4 yards for the first down

Steelers automatic go 4 or 5 wides. They ain't running in that formation.

If i remember right you can call a pass play out of a two back set and still show a threat to run the ball out of this formation.

Heath Miller is a recieving TE right?

RBs can still catch passes right?

JustinM
09-15-2011, 05:18 PM
i hear kordell stewart is not officially retired...............................

I was too young to really know how good/bad that guy was, but I did like the guy. SLASH!

Whodis
09-15-2011, 08:06 PM
I was too young to really know how good/bad that guy was, !

He was a good wide reciever

UF-Steeler
09-15-2011, 08:27 PM
Enough said. Ben sucks.

Possibly. Or the statistic could apply to the fact that if a quarterback drops back 40 plus times behind a porous line he is going to get hit, rushed, knocked down, and sacked. Which leads to an uncomfortable and nervous quarterback. Or maybe he just holds the ball too long.

As little as I post, I do read the forums a lot and know that you aren't a fan of BB. So maybe it's just bias. Personally, I like the guy even if he did recently have 5 turnovers.