PDA

View Full Version : play clock

Whodis
09-14-2011, 07:31 PM
Haven't see anything since 09. But what the hell is our deal with bringing the clock down to 1 or 2 seconds on each snap? Rat fans made mention to it at work.

I was watching the New England game and it looked on average they would come to the line at 15 seconds and snap between 8 or below. The only time it seems to go off in time is during "no huddle".

The obvious answer is Arians isn't involved.
\
Does anyone have a different opinion?

skinart82
09-14-2011, 07:59 PM
I think it is stupid, it gives the defense an edge by knowing when the ball will be snapped. You come to the line around 15-20 and snap around 5-10 and they won't know the exact damn second the ball will be snapped!

tony hipchest
09-14-2011, 09:19 PM
arians knows that if you wait til the last second, you will catch the defense off guard every time.

its his "do the exact opposite of what is logical or conventional, to fool 'em" offens. thats why he is the mad scientist.

either that, or it just takes ben that long to read a defense.

in the old days, when we had a power run offense, we did it to control the clock and keep the ball out of the opponents hands. this is what happens when philosophies collide. tomlin is still a proponent of "smashmouth" football, isnt he?

NoFieldFive
09-14-2011, 10:45 PM
even when the Steelers when in the no huddle they were using almost entire 30 seconds.

solardave
09-18-2011, 08:39 AM
Yeah it does make us predictable as far as knowing when we'll snap the ball. Why don't we go no huddle snapping the ball at random times. At least opposing D's wouldn't be able to tee off on us. Hell, we have enough trouble holding them off.

truesteelerfan
09-18-2011, 11:58 AM
I think this coming up on the board a couple of years ago....I thought the answer was found out to be we do it....because we can...gives Ben as long as possible to look over the D...and hopefully find a weakness for each play.

grward
09-18-2011, 04:03 PM
I'm not entirely sure I agree the the defense knows when we'll snap the ball. To know this would mean that they are looking at the play clock ... what defensive player do you know that is looking at the clock as opposed to the ball or the player they are covering? Makes no sense what you guys are saying.

sharkweek
09-18-2011, 04:49 PM
I'm not entirely sure I agree the the defense knows when we'll snap the ball. To know this would mean that they are looking at the play clock ... what defensive player do you know that is looking at the clock as opposed to the ball or the player they are covering? Makes no sense what you guys are saying.

pay them no heed, they are just arm chair generals :blah: :flap: