PDA

View Full Version : 6th round pick, Kemoeatu signs

BlitzburghRockCity
05-19-2005, 12:24 AM
Steelers sign 6th-round pick

Thursday, May 19, 2005

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Guard Chris Kemoeatu, drafted by the Steelers later than he thought he should have been, made sure he was at the head of the line yesterday when he became the team's first draft choice to sign a contract.

Kemoeatu, the Steelers' sixth-round draft choice from Utah, signed a three-year deal worth $981,750.

It includes a $61,750 signing bonus and annual salaries of $230,000, $305,000 and $385,000.

He became only the third NFL draft choice to sign this year following Jerome Carter of St. Louis and Junius Coston of Green Bay.

"He was the 13th guard taken," agent Ken Vierra said of Kemmoeatu. "But 10 of them aren't better than him and I'm not sure any are better. He was the most physical offensive lineman in the draft, a scout told me that."

Kemoeatu was listed as 6-31/2, 344 pounds during the draft but weighs 338 today and the Steelers want him down to 330, Vierra said. He will practice on both the right and left sides and has been with the team this week for their voluntary workouts that began Monday.

The Steelers, who have signed a few of their picks early in each of the past several years, continue to negotiate with their other seven draft choices, including top pick Heath Miller.

BB2W
05-19-2005, 01:46 PM
"He was the 13th guard taken," agent Ken Vierra said of Kemmoeatu. "But 10 of them aren't better than him and I'm not sure any are better. He was the most physical offensive lineman in the draft, a scout told me that."

That statement may turn out to be true.....

STEEL-MAN
05-19-2005, 02:26 PM
I like this kid a lot! he brings respect, a tough nose approach, a guy that will make DLineman pay for rushing the QB. HE will play lighter than he is now which should improve his quickness, mean and nasty applies here!

clevestinks
05-19-2005, 03:20 PM
Hopefully then he was a bargain, only time will tell

BlitzburghRockCity
05-19-2005, 05:28 PM
we could soon be adding him to the list of the meanest players !! :cool: :boxing:

Prosdo
05-20-2005, 02:57 AM
we could soon be adding him to the list of the meanest players !! :cool: :boxing:
lol Very true Blitz.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-21-2005, 12:08 AM
http://www.steelers.com/MediaContent//2005/05/19/11/05_Kemoeatu_Chris_inter_53186.jpg

The Steelers signed the first member of their 2005 draft class when sixth-round pick Chris Kemoeatu inked a three-year contract.

Kemoeatu, an offensive guard who played at Utah, is relieved to have the contract behind him so now all he has to do is focus on football.

?I got the paperwork done and now it?s time to get the plays down and work with the guys,? said Kemoeatu. ?I am excited. Getting it done early just worked out that way. I just wanted to play football, just come out here and do what I can do for the team.

?It?s a big relief. You think about and now you don?t think about it any more you just go to work.

Kemoeatu is taking part in the team?s coaching sessions and while it is a slow process, he is benefiting from the on-field and classroom instruction.

?It?s pretty good,? said Kemoeatu. ?It takes a little bit of time to get the plays down, but eventually I will get it. The transition takes time. I am still trying to figure my way through it. The guys are helping me out. Coach (Russ) Grimm is helping me out.

?As far as practice I still get missed assignments here and there but I go back to the book and try to study it and work it out. Sometimes I get impatient, but when you are new coming in you have to be patient. You know it takes time.?

He is spending as much time as he can trying to learn the playbook and while it?s still the same game he played in college, it?s the terminology and different styles that he has to adjust to.

?The older guys explain the playbook like it?s pretty simple,? he said. ?They have it down. As far as the rookies it?s just the transition. It takes a little time to get it all. The plays are mostly the same but it?s the terminology. It?s getting the terminology down. Other than that it?s the same stuff we had coming from college. They do some things different.?

ironcitychef
05-21-2005, 11:08 AM
BRC was that just a bigger version of your avatar?

clevestinks
05-21-2005, 12:07 PM
He looks like a fat Junior Seau lol :busted: