PDA

View Full Version : Sapp on Steelers: Old, Slow, and it's over.

Deserei90
09-15-2011, 01:09 AM
By Michael McCarthy, USA TODAY
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2011/09/warren-sapp-on-pittsburgh-steelers-old-slow-and-over-nfl-baltimore-ravens-showtime-inside-the-nfl/1

The Pittsburgh Steelers might want to cover their ears during Wednesday night's edition of Inside the NFL (9 p.m. ET), according to advance quotes provided by Showtime. After watching the rival Baltimore Ravens put a 35-7 beatdown on the AFC champs Sunday, Warren Sapp puts a fork in the Steelers' chances for 2011.

Declares Sapp:

The Pittsburgh Steelers. I have three things: old, slow and it's over. It's just that simple.:doh:

He's brutal toward the once-dominating Steelers defense:

James Harrison told us that he was 70-to-75%. It looked more like 40% to me if you are looking at the ballgame I was looking at. And Hines Ward, Mercedes Sapp can cover Hines Ward right now. You have to be kidding me…Mercedes is my 13-year-old daughter. She will cover Hines Ward in a heartbeat. And Troy Polamalu, Ed Dixon runs this crossing route. Troy Polamalu is trying to grab him to have a pass interference and he can't even get close enough to grab him. (It) looked like he was dragging a wagon behind him. Touchdown Baltimore. Pittsburgh Steelers done.

Phil Simms counters Sapp is over-reacting to a blowout loss in Week One.

DanRooney
09-15-2011, 01:13 AM
How could he say that about Hines Ward? He's the best receiver in the game with his intangeables.:rofl:

JustinM
09-15-2011, 01:46 AM
If Steelers prove Sapp wrong, I will never listen to that dude again.

OX1947
09-15-2011, 02:50 AM
Wait a minute. People actually listened to him long enough to understand what he says? I didnt know he was speaking english.

Aussie Steeler
09-15-2011, 03:14 AM
I actually thought that Hines Ward played pretty ok. He ran his routes well and got some seperation and did a good job blocking as well. James Harrison also played ok. He didn't play all the snaps though, given his injury. I think Worilds came on for him later on.

Am I the only one who thinks this? We just played so bad in that game. Mind you, that Baltimore team played so well. Their offensive line had their way with our DLine and Flacco had a superb game in the first half.
Next week is against Seattle who look so bad. We'll thrash them easily. That won't really give us a good indicator of how we are faring. But I am quite confident we'll bounce back from this loss.

Kingmagyar
09-15-2011, 07:05 AM
Sapp is always jumping on a bandwagon or jumping off just as quick.

Pentheon
09-15-2011, 07:26 AM
I always hated him, he was always an asshole and I feel like he never liked the steelers...I wouldnt listen to shit he has to say

theplatypus
09-15-2011, 07:39 AM
Phil Simms counters Sapp is over-reacting to a blowout loss in Week One

Wait a minute I thought SImms was supposed to be anti- Steeler and showing his bias. :chuckle:

Curtain_of_Steel
09-15-2011, 09:03 AM
Geez, Hines isn't going to blow through anyone. He is possesion guy, an a go to guy to find the seams.

Simms probably got a buinch of hate mail and scared his white ass, lol

1/28/01
09-15-2011, 09:34 AM
You guys were "experienced vets" before this game in the eyes of Sapp....hes just a moron. This game was just a bad game for Pitt, thats it! Again, Sapp is a moron!

Sixburgher
09-15-2011, 09:37 AM
Bear in mind that Sapp is the same guy who named Cutler as one of his top 5 QBs at one point.

Pentheon
09-15-2011, 10:16 AM
look how good we were last year....he acts like exactly one year is gonna automatically slow them down because their a year older...it will gradually happen not just all the sudden...

Atlanta Dan
09-15-2011, 11:12 AM
These guys are paid to stir the pot - by us talking about him Sapp has achieved his goal

Sapp cannot get a gig on a real network and has every reason to throw grenades, sometimes at his media coilleagues based on these comments by Peter King several years ago after Sapp took shots at HBO version of Inside The NFL

I would hope to God that it would be because [the show] on HBO it just got bland. It got bland, it got boring, and it just sat there that it was a foregone conclusion that somebody was supposed to tune in because it was what it was. [B]You have to entertain the people.''
--New Inside the NFL panelist Warren Sapp, in the Boston Globe, opining that the Showtime version of the long-running pro football show will be better than the HBO version.

Fairness in Journalism Department: I worked on HBO's Inside the NFL for the past six years. Not that I'm sensitive about the quality of the show or anything like that, but this boring, bland show must have really put a lot of people to sleep. Three times in the past six years, this show that just sat there won the Emmy for Best Sports Studio Show. Not best football show. But best studio show in all of sports television. Three times, more than any other sports show in the past six years. Better than all the ESPN shows, better than the FOX shows, better than the shows on Showtime parent CBS

Emmys are often awarded to shows that put voters to sleep, particularly shows the voters are comparing to the two-hour ESPN pregame spectacular and the bells-and-whistles, grab-the-headlines Fox show ... and, well, to all the other shows on the burgeoning sports TV landscape that outspent the HBO show and used more people in front of and behind the camera.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/09/01/mmqb/1.html

With regard to Sapp consider the source or, even better, do not watch the source - I tuned out most of the NFL pre- and post-game blather years ago and enjoy just watching the games

SoCalFan
09-15-2011, 11:13 AM
Hes one big ugly STUPID reason I dont watch that show any more!!!

Fire Haley
09-15-2011, 11:14 AM
When your head coach says your punter was the only player that had a good game .....you have issues.

but I wouldn't call the season over just yet

ebsteelers
09-15-2011, 11:21 AM
maybe he was talking about himself, he is old, slow, and his tv career should be over

steelfury02
09-15-2011, 11:25 AM
It is pretty obvious that these guys are made to make statements like that - it is part of their job - if they all just sat there and agreed about teams why would anyone watch

they all can come across as band wagoners - lets not forget that most of these guys only go by what they can see on film and have stated that many times - so a lot of what they report is only based on what the average viewer can see on the surface

They appealed to the unusual beat down of the Steelers because that is sexier than saying "The Steelers came in and yet again beat the Ravens on a spectacular play by Roethlisberger" They feed off the trend and right now, for once, Baltimore dominated us so that is the story and they are going to sell and exaggerate wherever they can to stir the pot as someone said

steelfury02
09-15-2011, 11:30 AM
and yes - being former players, as viewers, we just need to understand there are a LOT of biased statements coming as well as some extreme egos

No finer example is Sapp last night talking to Ray Lewis on NFL on Showtime - they are both Miami guys I believe and he just ate that up more than anything - just characters - I'm trying to do a better job of not worrying about the talking heads because it can really make your blood boil as a Steeler fan - a lot of people will say that football is changing to an offensive game, and combine that with social media and I for one don't like where we are heading with the game of football. It is very un-Steelers like.

Where have the days gone where you beat the snot out of someone and won 7 to 3, left it all out on the field, came back, shut up, and prepared for the next game? Now everything is about flash and dramatic comments and who tweeted what. Good lord.

Mick0311
09-15-2011, 11:33 AM
I wouldn't take too much away from his comments. Every single one of them were talking about how the Ravens were "long in the tooth" and getting old and slow. Yet, we come out last Sunday and it is the opposite. Now you guys are old and slow. He is just jumping on the current talking point, and that is the current theme right now because you all looked old and slow. Something tells me that your defense will be just fine though. The talking heads are in a echo-chamber. Copycat comments.

austinfrench76
09-15-2011, 12:12 PM
Can I bring up last season when the New England Patriots got their asses kicked by the Brows the week prior to playing us?!?!?

No one was saying they were dead and over and old, etc...It was 1 freakin game. I too have been critical of the Steelers over the past week but my goodness, it's just 1 game. If it happens again, fine. But on Inside the NFL a couple of weeks ago Simms picked Pittsburgh to play GB again un the SB! On Sunday, he sounded like a Baltinore homer!

Talkin heads - And Sapp barely speaks American! (That's a joke BTW) but seriously. I can hardly understnad him at times. Classic case of good player does not equal great insight.

Go Steelers!

steeltheone
09-15-2011, 12:47 PM
Anybody who watched the game could see that....we will win some games but noy against track meet teams..

Mick0311
09-15-2011, 01:01 PM
Can I bring up last season when the New England Patriots got their asses kicked by the Brows the week prior to playing us?!?!?

No one was saying they were dead and over and old, etc...It was 1 freakin game. I too have been critical of the Steelers over the past week but my goodness, it's just 1 game. If it happens again, fine. But on Inside the NFL a couple of weeks ago Simms picked Pittsburgh to play GB again un the SB! On Sunday, he sounded like a Baltinore homer!

Talkin heads - And Sapp barely speaks American! (That's a joke BTW) but seriously. I can hardly understnad him at times. Classic case of good player does not equal great insight.

Go Steelers!

While I agree with you, that your performance was not an indication of the whole upcoming season, their comments weren't entirely baseless. You guys do have the oldest, by average, defense in the league. So, it's not out of the realm of possibilities, just highly unlikely. It would be strange indeed if you go from last year's form to old and decrepit in one year. I wouldn't take much from old Sapp.

steelfury02
09-15-2011, 01:06 PM
Thanks - as a Ravens fan - what is your confidence about them coming into Heinz for the rematch and having a repeat performance? I think we'll end up winning a close one.

The two best examples of great players not equaling great front office guys are

1. Michael Jordan - Washington Wizards - need I say more?
2. John Elway - what a mess in Denver

OX1947
09-15-2011, 01:39 PM
Thanks - as a Ravens fan - what is your confidence about them coming into Heinz for the rematch and having a repeat performance? I think we'll end up winning a close one.

In fairness to John Elway, he just took over, the mess in Denver right now is a result from Shanahan bringing it to the gallows and the execution by McDaniels.

Fire Haley
09-15-2011, 03:10 PM
Steelers weren't biting on Warren Sapp comments; Hines laughed off comment about Sapp's 13-year-old daughter being able to cover him.

lamarr woodley on warren sapp calling the steelers slow and done: "we've heard the wind blow before"

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...orts/steelers/

Mick0311
09-15-2011, 08:05 PM

That is a good question. As a Raven's fan, I can say that I am never confident that we will get a W against you guys. It has never been that way, not even after last week. While I think our execution led to the win more so than your mistakes, I do not expect the result to be the same next go around. I agree with you on the close one, but I think the result will be a Raven's win. I'm bound by creed to think so lol.

As far as the Elway thing, I live out here in Denver now (yes I grew up outside Baltimore), and McDaniels demolished this team before he left. They bled talent for two years, and Elway is coming in now to try and clean up. How you let Brandon Marshall and Cutler go within a year is unbelievable. Not that I think Cutler is a superstar, but damn.

ricardisimo
09-15-2011, 08:17 PM
Warren Sapp is just now noticing that Hines Ward is slow as molasses? He's been that slow for ten years. And he still doesn't realize that it doesn't matter? And Sapp actually gets paid for what he does? :doh:

Atlanta Dan
09-22-2011, 07:25 AM
According to Ed. B. of the P-G Sapp is not going to back down

Ed: Sapp Says Steelers Still 'Over'

Here is the latest from Warren Sapp from Inside the NFL on Showtime last night:

SAPP: “By playing the Sisters of the Blind Seahawks, now that rights the ship in Pittsburgh? [Troy Polamalu] is still dragging the wagon. Who is there to cover on the Seattle Seahawks, Cris? You would start at receiver for them right now. Where were [the Steelers] last season? The pinnacle, the Super Bowl. They lost that. This group of players is coming down. It’s over.”

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers

Amazing how the season ended in week one - maybe Sapp should be (or is) posting in the "Not So Fast" thread here?

UF-Steeler
09-22-2011, 08:44 AM
According to Ed. B. of the P-G Sapp is not going to back down

Ed: Sapp Says Steelers Still 'Over'

Here is the latest from Warren Sapp from Inside the NFL on Showtime last night:

SAPP: “By playing the Sisters of the Blind Seahawks, now that rights the ship in Pittsburgh? [Troy Polamalu] is still dragging the wagon. Who is there to cover on the Seattle Seahawks, Cris? You would start at receiver for them right now. Where were [the Steelers] last season? The pinnacle, the Super Bowl. They lost that. This group of players is coming down. It’s over.”

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers

Amazing how the season ended in week one - maybe Sapp should be (or is) posting in the "Not So Fast" thread here?

I actually watched Inside the NFL last night; it was pretty hilarious. Simms and Collinsworth were ripping on Sapp all night. When they had a surprise showing of Romo during Sapp's rant, Sapp started kissing ass.

Sapp is a notorious douche and when I lived in Tampa Bay, those that came into contact with him told stories about how rude he was. We actually had movers that just came from his house that same day; instead of paying them in cash, he signed a jersey and told them it was worth more than the payment they were asking for...

Listening to him speak is also a comedy within itself. Guy is an all around idiot that 'back-pedals faster than Revis.' lol

djdowning017
09-22-2011, 10:04 AM
i am going to laugh if the steelers win the superbowl and then warren sapp will think twice of what he said about them

tunes4life
09-22-2011, 10:06 AM
Eh, he's just following the "New Sports Commentator Guidelines"

Section 4 PG 2 Para 3

"Try to find exceptionally volatile comments to say about whatever team currently has the most fans, whether good or bad. This will cause a serious backlash that will give the illusion of popularity and relevancy. Don't concern yourself with statistics or accuracy"

:blah:

Brett Cottrell
09-22-2011, 10:24 AM
"Declares Sapp:"

Really? What doesn't Sapp declare? His mouth defies physics - it's a perpetual motion machine. Sapp can no more shut his yapper than he can ice skate in hell.

ricardisimo
09-22-2011, 04:36 PM
Warren Sapp: Fat, stupid and it's over.

tony hipchest
09-22-2011, 04:47 PM

:chuckle: ... diabetic, high blood pressure, cholesterol gravy in veins,and its over.

Navy86
09-22-2011, 04:50 PM
The best part of all this, IMO, is that Sapp has been a target by several other sports writers all week IRT his opinion on the Steelers. Maybe he likes the attention, regardless of whether it shows his ignorance/stupidity...kind of like a little kid who doesn't get attention, so purposely does something wrong just to get any kind of attention. OK, Sapp, whatever you like, buddy...you have your attention..you're an idiot and everyone else knows it! Enjoy!

Fire Arians
09-22-2011, 05:17 PM

zing!

Atlanta Dan
09-22-2011, 05:57 PM

mkoPq5AOCOA

SH-Rock
09-22-2011, 07:23 PM
Steelers I don't believe will make it to the Super Bowl this year, but instead a deep playoff run.

Brett Cottrell
09-23-2011, 02:56 PM
:chuckle: ... diabetic, high blood pressure, cholesterol gravy in veins,and its over.

Gravy in his veins is just the beginning. If they tested his cholesterol they'd find bacon.

figg
09-23-2011, 04:08 PM
Steelers I don't believe will make it to the Super Bowl this year, but instead a deep playoff run.

He went way out on a limb with that one :banging:

What a tool!

Ricco Suavez
10-30-2011, 07:18 PM
Bump. Please report is lardazz is still spouting his nonsense as expert analysis. If anyone hears anything please let me know. I just want him to eat his words with a win over the Pats and hopefully a win over the Ratturds.

GMU Steeler
10-30-2011, 07:36 PM
Warren Sapp's cred as an analyst: Old, slow, and it's over. Sorry Warren, that's why you don't judge based off one game.

smashedguitar
10-30-2011, 08:31 PM
Warren Sapp was right.

Just that he was making a reference to himself.

Gutsy win against the Pats today.... Got the Monkey off the back...

Go Steelers all the way from San Diego....

ricardisimo
01-06-2012, 12:57 AM
I had forgotten about this thread! Here's to old and slow!
:drink:

steelfury02
01-06-2012, 07:15 AM
:old:

Fear the beard dang nabit'!

FanSince72
01-06-2012, 08:39 AM
Funny, that's exactly what was said about Jack Nicklaus back in '86 just before he won his 6th Masters (and18th Major Championship) at the age of 46.

ricardisimo
01-06-2012, 02:23 PM
Does anyone know if Sapp ever issued any sort of apology, or if he acknowledged using judgment-impairing drugs?

tony hipchest
01-06-2012, 03:08 PM
he admitted being wrong. infact, hines was on the showtime show about a month ago given him hell about his daughter comment. = sapp just jealous he didnt win the mirror ball.

nyuknyuk
01-06-2012, 03:09 PM
FINALLY Sapp says something intelligent!

Boomer
01-06-2012, 07:51 PM
FINALLY Sapp says something intelligent!

You still here? Don't you have some where else to sling your bronco sh**??

Goldsteel86
01-06-2012, 08:22 PM
Big Snacks is wrong again, #1 in the NFL, way to go Sapp, lack luster career, lack luster analysis. He got paid too much as a player and is getting paid way too much as an analyist. :blah::blah::blah::sofunny:

DanRooney
01-07-2012, 10:25 AM
Big Snacks is wrong again, #1 in the NFL, way to go Sapp, lack luster career, lack luster analysis. He got paid too much as a player and is getting paid way too much as an analyist. :blah::blah::blah::sofunny:

He's not a good analyst, but seven pro bowl trips, four time all-pro, a former DPOY, probably the most dominant player at his position=lack luster career? Okay.

sluggermatt15
01-07-2012, 10:48 AM

He was a great player on the Bucs and was an integral part of their defense about 10 years ago. Tampa would have not won the SB without him, IMO.

As an analyst, I agree, he's not so good. Not all former players are great analysts. Most of them stink, IMO.

LayingTheWoodley56
01-07-2012, 02:10 PM
Steelers (fans) on Sapp: Fat, slow, and washed up for about 6 years.