PDA

View Full Version : NFL fines Polamalu $15,000

Terrible Towel Boy
09-15-2011, 08:05 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/s_757029.html

By Scott Brown and Mark Kaboly, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, September 15, 2011
Last updated: 6:22 pm

Steelers strong safety Troy Polamalu briefly scuffled with Ravens running back Ray Rice on Sunday. But that isn't what proved to be costly for the six-time Pro Bowler.

The NFL fined Polamalu $15,000 for making a horse-collar tackle in the Steelers' 35-7 loss to the Ravens, a league source said.

The tackle came late in the third quarter at the end of a 36-yard run by Ravens running back Ricky Williams.

"It definitely wasn't on purpose," Polamalu said. "I've never intentionally tried to horse collar anybody."

Fines for on-field conduct are handed out after the league reviews questionable plays. They can be appealed to a two-man panel appointed jointly by the NFL and the NFL Players Association.

Polamalu yesterday would not discuss the fine.

"I'm not a big fan of people being really vocal about the fines," he said.

How is it Troy get's a $15k fine when Charles Woodson threw a punch and only got a $10k fine? Does Polamalu have a "history" of horsecollaring players I'm unaware of?

DoctorCAD
09-15-2011, 08:08 PM
He should also have to give back a game check for staying in the parking lot during the game.

We all know he was a no-show DURING the game.

UF-Steeler
09-15-2011, 08:23 PM
He should also have to give back a game check for staying in the parking lot during the game.

How many times has he come through to win a game against the Ravens? Last weekend was a bad game overall.

The fine is really just ridiculous. I can see maybe a 5,000 dollar fine, but 15k when a player throws a blatant uppercut and only gets fined 10k. Seems like bullshit to me. :banging:

Steel_Bus_24
09-15-2011, 08:34 PM
How many times has he come through to win a game against the Ravens? Last weekend was a bad game overall.

The fine is really just ridiculous. I can see maybe a 5,000 dollar fine, but 15k when a player throws a blatant uppercut and only gets fined 10k. Seems like bullshit to me. :banging:

QFT

This is a crock of sh**

but we better get used to it......Goodell and his cronies are determined to drive the Steelers Brand of football out of the league

Atlanta Dan
09-15-2011, 08:53 PM
Any word on how much the Raven who horsecollared Brown on the 1st quarter kickoff return was fined?

Sixburgher
09-15-2011, 08:58 PM
Any word on how much the Raven who horsecollared Brown on the 1st quarter kickoff return was fined?

Yeah, right.

Mick0311
09-15-2011, 09:42 PM

An uppercut will not end your career. A horsecollar tackle has been known to break a femur bone, and is illegal due to it being very dangerous to be dragged down directly onto your legs. It's very dangerous. Either way, as far as fines go 15k was not much.

Mick0311
09-15-2011, 09:44 PM

I didn't see that one. I recorded the game, I'll have to take another look. Usually those are very blatant because of the way the ball carrier goes down.

Riddle_Of_Steel
09-15-2011, 09:44 PM
We knew the fines were coming, and so did Polamalu. I'd say they were all worth it to get to see the zebras get to eat the turf not once, but twice in that game (the second ref that got snuffed during the huge mid-game scuffle was the best).

Then again....I am not the one paying the fines. Interesting though that Poalamlu gets a fine for a horsecollar tackle, but the Raven's defender who did the same, gets no fine.

GODell and his double-standards.....what a fork-tongued crook he is.

tony hipchest
09-15-2011, 09:47 PM
An uppercut will not end your career. .

an uppercut from troy will. infact, hes been known to put a guy on the shelves for a week or 2 with just a nasty glance.

JustinM
09-15-2011, 09:48 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/s_757029.html

[I]By Scott Brown and Mark Kaboly, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, September 15, 2011
Last updated: 6:22 pm

Steelers strong safety Troy Polamalu briefly scuffled with Ravens running back Ray Rice on Sunday. But that isn't what proved to be costly for the six-time Pro Bowler.

The NFL fined Polamalu $15,000 for making a horse-collar tackle in the Steelers' 35-7 loss to the Ravens, a league source said.

I thought it would be worse. Def worth it. Especially since Troy ALSO body slammed that one dude too.

Mick0311
09-15-2011, 09:52 PM
an uppercut from troy will. infact, hes been known to put a guy on the shelves for a week or 2 with just a nasty glance.

LOL, very true.

"Are you making fun of me?"
"ARE YOU MAKING FUN OF ME??"

Atlanta Dan
09-15-2011, 09:59 PM
I didn't see that one. I recorded the game, I'll have to take another look. Usually those are very blatant because of the way the ball carrier goes down.

Pittsburgh Steelers at 13:28 1st quarter
B.Cundiff kicks 69 yards from BLT 35 to PIT -4. A.Brown to PIT 27 for 31 yards (B.Ayanbadejo). PENALTY on BLT-B.Ayanbadejo, Horse Collar Tackle, 15 yards, enforced at PIT 27.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=310911033

Fire Arians
09-15-2011, 10:16 PM
An uppercut will not end your career. A horsecollar tackle has been known to break a femur bone, and is illegal due to it being very dangerous to be dragged down directly onto your legs. It's very dangerous. Either way, as far as fines go 15k was not much.

an uppercut from ivan drago could end your life :chuckle:

UF-Steeler
09-15-2011, 11:21 PM
Valid point Mick. I just feel like an unintentional (I'd like to think that's the case) horse collar shouldn't be fined more than a blatant, intentional uppercut.

GMU Steeler
09-16-2011, 12:44 AM
Why not fine the Ravens player who did the same thing? Of course Goodell suspended Roethlisberger even though Ben wasn't charged with a crime. And yet he did nothing to Albert Haynesworth who actually plead guilty to one. Goodell needs to be consistent if he's going to be handing out these fines.

SH-Rock
09-16-2011, 12:48 AM
Charles Woodson Fine: $10,000
Troy Polamalu Fine: $15,000
Goodell's hatred for the Steelers: Priceless

Somethings life can't buy. For everything else there's mastercard.

All jokes aside. I'm glad Polamalu didn't complain. Stay classy Troy!

tanda10506
09-16-2011, 02:25 AM
First off, there should never be a fine for something unintentional. Second, I could MAYBE understand it if they fined the more obvious horse collar on Brown by a Ravens player. I hope the FO is giving the players some form of incentive to not worry about fines and keep playing real football. Did the ref that was on the ground during the "Polamalu fight" get knocked out?

Mick0311
09-16-2011, 02:51 AM
Valid point Mick. I just feel like an unintentional (I'd like to think that's the case) horse collar shouldn't be fined more than a blatant, intentional uppercut.

Fair point entirely. I don't think it warranted a penalty that high. It's not like he has a history of playing dirty.

Mick0311
09-16-2011, 02:52 AM
Pittsburgh Steelers at 13:28 1st quarter
B.Cundiff kicks 69 yards from BLT 35 to PIT -4. A.Brown to PIT 27 for 31 yards (B.Ayanbadejo). PENALTY on BLT-B.Ayanbadejo, Horse Collar Tackle, 15 yards, enforced at PIT 27.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=310911033

I think I remember that now. I may have been pissing or grabbing another beer though. It's a viscous cycle lol.

DanRooney
09-16-2011, 02:59 AM
La Fuhrer Adolf Goodell has openly stated he was a Ravens fan. This is no surprise.

solardave
09-16-2011, 05:53 AM

He had one bad game but let's cut him now.:noidea: I'm just curious after seeing numerous horse collar calls so far both in preseason and game one if any others have been fined.

solardave
09-16-2011, 05:59 AM

That's what I'm wondering. Are they going to start calling these the Steeler rule because we seem to get more fines than anyone else. Maybe the one that tackled Brown said he was sorry and the ref heard him so therefore no fine.

How damn obvious does this need to be before our FO starts the fire Goodell process. Somebody step up either Dan or Art II and call this BS because it is what it is. I would love for us to make it to and win the SB. Then watch Tomlin "bitch slap" Goodell in front of the whole world!!! That would be justice.

truesteelerfan
09-16-2011, 05:18 PM
Here we go again.....King Goodell's leadership to use the Steelers as examples for other teams....like his good boys like the colts and cheatriots?

SteelCityMom
09-16-2011, 05:22 PM
The Ravens player did in fact receive a fine (same amount) for a horse collar tackle.

Pittsburgh Steelers strong safety Troy Polamalu confirmed with Pittsburgh reporters that he had been fined for his horse-collar tackle of Ravens running back Ricky Williams in the Ravens' 35-7 thrashing on Sunday. The amount of the fine was $15,000.

The Ravens' Brendon Ayanbadejo is apparently getting similar treatment. The linebacker was sanctioned for his horse-collar tackle of Steelers kick returner Antonio Brown in the first quarter, according to an NFL spokesman via his Twitter account.

In response to a query about whether the player who had tackled Brown had also been fined for his horse-collar tackle, Greg Aiello wrote, "Yes, he did."

UPDATE: Jason LaCanfora of the NFL Network reported that Ayanbadejo was fined $15,000.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-ayanbadejo-apparently-gets-fined-for-horsecollar-tackle-20110916,0,4124522.story

tanda10506
09-16-2011, 05:29 PM
As mentioned, the FO needs to come to the defense of their players. There has always been questionable calls in football, but these are obvious. I will admit I dont completely understand the NFL "union" rules and what the rights of the owners, players, and commisioner are exactly, but I cant see how this kind of BS keeps happening without any checks or balances.

tanda10506
09-16-2011, 05:36 PM
The Ravens player did in fact receive a fine (same amount) for a horse collar tackle.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-ayanbadejo-apparently-gets-fined-for-horsecollar-tackle-20110916,0,4124522.story

Well as long as that article is correct then I cant complain much, but it's the first act of "equal" treatment by goodell in regards to our team.

GMU Steeler
09-16-2011, 06:13 PM

Well that answers my questioon, thanks. Still have a problem with how Goodell runs the NFL tho.

solardave
09-17-2011, 11:08 AM
Why not fine the Ravens player who did the same thing? Of course Goodell suspended Roethlisberger even though Ben wasn't charged with a crime. And yet he did nothing to Albert Haynesworth who actually plead guilty to one. Goodell needs to be consistent if he's going to be handing out these fines.

See that's the problem with Goodell. No one is holding him accountable. If the owners would make him responsible for his actions he'd be doing time for the coverup. He is a criminal and therefore does not need to be in charge. Even IF (and if is a big word) the Patriots did not cheat. He should not be allowed to destroy evidence,PERIOD!!! What he did was criminal. Having gotten away with that we can conclude that he feels he's above the law,that he can do and say anything he wants.