PDA

View Full Version : The Machinist

Suitanim
06-05-2006, 06:57 PM
First off, I want to make clear that I don't recommend this movie for everyone...but I really liked it. If you are into dark films that may plod along a little, then check it out.

First off, MAJOR kudo's to Christian Bale...although he's English, he's one of my favorite actors (most recently in Batman Begins for those not familiar, and played Patrick Bateman in Brett Easton Ellis' movie adaption of "American Psycho", a book that STILL disturbs me 5 years after I read it, but he's been around forever...he was in "Newsies" and was the little boy lead in "Empire of the Sun") Anyway, he lost over 60 pounds for the role, and the guy was ripped to begin with, so he literally looked like a concentration camp survivor in the movie....I mean, it was unsettling to see how skinny the guy was, and it couldn't have been good for his health, but I really respect the effort.

It has some Hitch****ian elements, as well as a little bit of a "Momento" type feel to it. If you are a fan of film noire, check it out...

Motley Nate
06-05-2006, 08:02 PM
+1

The Machinist is a great movie.

Christian Bale is perfect for these roles. He pulls off the angst role perfectly in dark films.

I've read American Psycho a number of times (it's amazing what the human mind can conjure up... somebody needs to search Brett Easton Ellis' basement for bodies) and although the movie was 9,000 times less gory than the book, it's still a great storyline. Sheer genius on how much detail he puts in, defines the psyche of a obsessive-compulsive delirium.

It's definitely a relative role, minus the shredding of human skin.

I have to agree on both Memento and Batman Begins. More enigmatic material for the common mind but brilliant for those who "get it".

tony hipchest
06-05-2006, 08:09 PM
reviews sound great. i will definitely check it out and am sure i wont be disappointed.

Suitanim
06-05-2006, 08:57 PM
Read the book "American Psycho", Tony...but keep an open mind. It's intended to be an allegorical commentary on the decadent 80's, but I'd say that about 90% of the people who read it missed the point, and just became fixated on the more prurient elements of the story.

If you read "Psycho", follow it up with "Lunar Park"...it's almost the apology and explanation for "Psycho"...

Motley Nate
06-05-2006, 11:47 PM
Read the book "American Psycho", Tony...but keep an open mind. It's intended to be an allegorical commentary on the decadent 80's, but I'd say that about 90% of the people who read it missed the point, and just became fixated on the more prurient elements of the story.

If you read "Psycho", follow it up with "Lunar Park"...it's almost the apology and explanation for "Psycho"...
Like anything else, you'll get more out of the books than the movie.

I thought my house was haunted too until I figured out I was drunk.

3 to be 4
06-05-2006, 11:49 PM
I cant believe you used that swear word Hitch****ian!!