PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Gilbert

Fire Arians
09-18-2011, 05:56 PM
I thought the kid did a great job today. He gave Ben time to throw the ball, and the running game was getting a nice push on the right side of the ball. He wasn't perfect but it was definitely a strong performance by the rookie :thumbsup:

I know some people are gonna say 'but it was the seahawks' blah blah, but you know it's a regular season game and he did well. Not to mention although seattle's offense is rather craptacular, their defense isn't that bad.

harrison'samonster
09-18-2011, 06:00 PM
and no false starts either, gotta be happy about his play

davidtrout
09-18-2011, 06:18 PM
Very good day for Gilbert. Who we were playing is of no significance. You put a rookie into a starting position week 2 of an NFL season and he makes no major mistakes, that's fantastic. Good job, rook.

rd31669
09-18-2011, 06:30 PM
Very pleased with the rook... couldn't ask for a better situation than for him to play against a young Seattle team to get experience. Going to be an interesting story line all year.

blackandgoldsc
09-18-2011, 06:38 PM
Agreed. I was a bit nervous but he has had a great start. keep up the good work.

kirklandrules
09-18-2011, 06:45 PM
He did a good job pass blocking and I noticed he fired off real well on run blocking. Not sure why the blocking scheme would have him pull out to block a blitzing safety ... that makes no sense to me.

DevinX43
09-18-2011, 06:47 PM
Didn't see the game, but it sounds like he did fine. Next week will be a real test for him against mathis of the Colts

btaylor179
09-18-2011, 06:49 PM
he missed a block that caused ben to be sacked and almost fumbled

Fire Arians
09-18-2011, 06:49 PM
Didn't see the game, but it sounds like he did fine. Next week will be a real test for him against mathis of the Colts

that will definitely be a matchup to look forward to next week.

drizze99
09-18-2011, 09:22 PM
GIlbert did great today for his first game in the NFL. For a rookie in the 2nd week of the season, he was real solid. Was he perfect? NO, but I didn't expect him to be....

austinfrench76
09-18-2011, 09:59 PM
The guy did an amazing job for a rookie starting his 1st game! FInally, it looks like a 2nd rounder may actually be a player!!

pancake
09-19-2011, 04:28 AM
If this kid does well, then we can just draft guards next year, with Colon and Gilbert as our bookends.

Rick5895
09-19-2011, 05:55 AM

Thats all you took from his game? I thought he played a very good game considering he missed half of camp and is makinghis first start. Very solid job done by Gilbert.
Even pro bowl O-Linemen miss blocks and QB's get sacked.

kirklandrules
09-19-2011, 03:50 PM
Thats all you took from his game? I thought he played a very good game considering he missed half of camp and is makinghis first start. Very solid job done by Gilbert.
Even pro bowl O-Linemen miss blocks and QB's get sacked.

Yeah, not to mention that block was a pull around the TE to get a blitzing defensive back. I'm not 333 lbs and doubt I could have caught that guy. The scheme sucked ... or the line call. Heath should have gone for the DB and Gilbert should have stretched for the DE (at least they could have slowed that charge and given Ben a few secs for a throw).

Steelervinny
09-19-2011, 04:06 PM
Naw, he did miss that block, and that was most definitely his responsibility. But you can't expect perfection from a rookie O-lineman playing in the 2nd game of the season. It normally takes a couple of years to form those guys before they even start. Pouncy was a diamond in the rough playing the way he did, and it looks like Gilbert will be to. He can only get better, and that's a pretty darn good starting point. I'm excited.

solardave
09-19-2011, 04:11 PM

He's a rookie in his first start and that's what you saw? So he missed one block. The fumble wouldn't have been his now would it? I mean really. I thought he held his own.
I also thought Foster played a pretty good game.

DanRooney
09-19-2011, 04:14 PM
I wouldn't take too much out of this game on how the o-line looks. It's a good warmup for Gilbert but the Seahawks aren't known for their dominant front 7 or pass rush.

SunshineMan21
09-19-2011, 04:26 PM
I wouldn't take too much out of this game on how the o-line looks. It's a good warmup for Gilbert but the Seahawks aren't known for their dominant front 7 or pass rush.

It isn't confirmation of greatness or anything, but it was still a competent regular-season result when we've been used to seeing varying degrees of ineptitude from our linemen.

Fire Arians
09-19-2011, 04:39 PM

it's a start. next weekend will be a test when he's lined up against robert mathis

Steel4ever95
09-20-2011, 09:41 PM
I could not watch the game, nice to hear Gilbert had a strong showing, hopefully he can continue this for the rest of the year.

BKAnthem
09-20-2011, 11:04 PM
Well, if Gilbert turns out to be the real deal they just have to draft 3 more

tony hipchest
09-20-2011, 11:25 PM
Well, if Gilbert turns out to be the real deal they just have to draft 3 moreso if he doesnt turn out to be the real deal, does that mean they have to draft 4 more?

-brilliant!

Riddle_Of_Steel
09-20-2011, 11:48 PM
He looked like he has considerable physical tools and talent, now he just needs time to develope. He did look like he was struggling with the playbook a little bit. The sack in question, it looked to me like a blown assignment-- he zigged when he should have zagged and did not know who he was supposed to pick up until it was too late.

Other than that, he did a great job picking the speed rushers Seattle tried stacking up on that side, and he did give a nice push to the running game.

BKAnthem
09-21-2011, 08:04 PM
so if he doesnt turn out to be the real deal, does that mean they have to draft 4 more?

-brilliant!

Yup...but if they had done this a few years back the line wouldn't be the shit that you love today, and Ben wouldn't be running for his life weekly, and Mendy wouldn't be getting Stood up at the one foot line...homer

tony hipchest
09-21-2011, 08:18 PM
Yup...but if they had done this a few years back the line wouldn't be the shit that you love today, and Ben wouldn't be running for his life weekly, and Mendy wouldn't be getting Stood up at the one foot line...homerhey hater, howd that top 5 pick the seahawks spent on OT work out sunday?

he got lmaowned just like you.

Steelersfan87
09-21-2011, 09:54 PM
If the Steelers had drafted 4 more linemen in early rounds than they have in recent years, then there would be a lot more players that they wouldn't have now, like Hood, Mendenhall, Timmons, Woodley, Sanders, or Wallace. Of course, it would have been nice if they had clairvoyance and realized that Limas Sweed was never going to put it all together, but taking Sweed where they did at the time was the right move. Shit happens.

Wallace108
09-21-2011, 11:21 PM
If the Steelers had drafted 4 more linemen in early rounds than they have in recent years, then there would be a lot more players that they wouldn't have now, like Hood, Mendenhall, Timmons, Woodley, Sanders, or Wallace. Of course, it would have been nice if they had clairvoyance and realized that Limas Sweed was never going to put it all together, but taking Sweed where they did at the time was the right move. Shit happens.

Good post.
Where we draft almost every year, we're not going to get a shot at too many stud linemen. You're not always going to have a player like Pouncey fall to you.

Some people act like Pouncey is the only lineman they've drafted in the past 10 years, like they're not even making an effort. As I jokingly said in another thread ... maybe we should tank a few seasons so we can draft some top linemen. :dang:

tony hipchest
09-21-2011, 11:56 PM
other than punters and placekickers, there are several positions that aretraditionally NEVER overdrafted in the 1st round. These are interior linemen (guards and centers), safeties, and tight ends. the thinking being is that you can always find good ones in the latter rounds.

yet look how they fare when they 'reach" or take one early (assuming they are the top 1 or 2 at their respective position.

faneca, miller, pouncey, polamalu... all HOF/pro-bowl/all pro calibur players.

yet the ubergenius internet fans would prefer us to reach for the 7th ranked LT or 5th ranked CB in the 1st round and pass on one of the highest ranked DT/DE's?LB.

i guess they dont realize that the steelers typically take the BPA as opposed to reaching for immediate need (which rookies cant fill).

theres something to be said for knowing the steelers way. it wins championships...

which ive seen clowns on this board try to minimize. :party:

ricardisimo
09-22-2011, 02:07 AM
hey hater, howd that top 5 pick the seahawks spent on OT work out sunday?

he got lmaowned just like you.
Tackle and a guard in the first two rounds... the right side of their line, in fact. Not working out too well so far, I'd say.

P.S. - Oh yeah, and Derek Sherrod, who was available when the Steelers picked, and for whom many on these boards were clamoring, has been a dud thus far, and inactive for both Green Bay games. Cam Heyward has played, and played well in substitution.

DanRooney
09-22-2011, 04:08 AM
Steelers have been to 50 percent of the championships in the last 6 years hehehe

DanRooney
09-22-2011, 04:09 AM
Tackle and a guard in the first two rounds... the right side of their line, in fact. Not working out too well so far, I'd say.

P.S. - Oh yeah, and Derek Sherrod, who was available when the Steelers picked, and for whom many on these boards were clamoring, has been a dud thus far, and inactive for both Green Bay games. Cam Heyward has played, and played well in substitution.

That's because Cameron Heyward is a beast. Absolutely 100% a steal at 31. He was a top 15 talent.

Picks like Jason Worilds were pretty much a waste imho. It wasn't a value/good pick in the 2nd round and it wasn't in a position of need.

BKAnthem
09-24-2011, 02:37 PM
other than punters and placekickers, there are several positions that aretraditionally NEVER overdrafted in the 1st round. These are interior linemen (guards and centers), safeties, and tight ends. the thinking being is that you can always find good ones in the latter rounds.

yet look how they fare when they 'reach" or take one early (assuming they are the top 1 or 2 at their respective position.

faneca, miller, pouncey, polamalu... all HOF/pro-bowl/all pro calibur players.

yet the ubergenius internet fans would prefer us to reach for the 7th ranked LT or 5th ranked CB in the 1st round and pass on one of the highest ranked DT/DE's?LB.

i guess they dont realize that the steelers typically take the BPA as opposed to reaching for immediate need (which rookies cant fill).

theres something to be said for knowing the steelers way. it wins championships...

which ive seen clowns on this board try to minimize. :party:

And yet the FO hasn't found one yet in the later rounds outside of Legursky who's at best average even though he's smart as hell .....If they did a better Job of scouting OLine talent then maybe we could have better picks in the later rounds that you so love.....I mean if your gonna draft a chris scott or tony hills , you may as well take a chance on a Sebastian Vollmer in the second round of '09, but they traded out of the second round that year and grabbed future all-pro kraig urbick in the 3rd, or Jared Veldheer who they could have snagged in the second round in 2010 instead of Worilds....

ricardisimo
09-24-2011, 04:11 PM
And yet the FO hasn't found one yet in the later rounds outside of Legursky who's at best average even though he's smart as hell .....If they did a better Job of scouting OLine talent then maybe we could have better picks in the later rounds that you so love.....I mean if your gonna draft a chris scott or tony hills , you may as well take a chance on a Sebastian Vollmer in the second round of '09, but they traded out of the second round that year and grabbed future all-pro kraig urbick in the 3rd, or Jared Veldheer who they could have snagged in the second round in 2010 instead of Worilds....
There were folks demanding that we take Derek Sherrod this year, who was really the only lineman close to the Steelers' first-round pick this year. It's way too early to tell, of course, but so far he's looking like a career back-up. Meanwhile, Heyward is a possible Pro Bowler as early as next year.

Maybe Colbert really knows how to spot first-round talent. His weakest pick so far is probably Mendenhall; an under-utilized 1300 yd/15 TD running back. If that's his worst, I'll trust him to keep it up.

Maybe Colbert knows his own deficiencies at judging O-line, and is gambling on finding late-round gems in the meantime. If so, it's a decent gamble, considering how well he does at the other positions.

Or maybe, just maybe, the Steelers do so well year-in and year-out that they are perpetually out of reach of the first round stud left tackles. There's not much to be done about that, seems to me.

BKAnthem
09-25-2011, 09:28 AM
There were folks demanding that we take Derek Sherrod this year, who was really the only lineman close to the Steelers' first-round pick this year. It's way too early to tell, of course, but so far he's looking like a career back-up. Meanwhile, Heyward is a possible Pro Bowler as early as next year.

Maybe Colbert really knows how to spot first-round talent. His weakest pick so far is probably Mendenhall; an under-utilized 1300 yd/15 TD running back. If that's his worst, I'll trust him to keep it up.

Maybe Colbert knows his own deficiencies at judging O-line, and is gambling on finding late-round gems in the meantime. If so, it's a decent gamble, considering how well he does at the other positions.

Or maybe, just maybe, the Steelers do so well year-in and year-out that they are perpetually out of reach of the first round stud left tackles. There's not much to be done about that, seems to me.

Well if you can trade up for a Troy, or a Santonio, why not a stud left tackle in a round 1? and this is something they could have done over time to slowly build a line as well as address other needs...i have never said have draft where you ONLY take O-lineman but with group that may not be a bad idea...I mean, If the "Standard is the Standard" isn't having a solid O-Line always been a Steeler Standard? Shit, stop gambling on an investment that can possibly save your $100 mil All-pro QB's career, and if you can't evaluate it well enough go out and hire people who can.

tony hipchest
09-25-2011, 11:39 AM

wow! i am amazed, flabbergasted and stunned by your amazing forsight and prescience.

not only should you be working in the steelers FO, you should be telling fortunes, predicting lottery numbers and shit.

(see what i did there? i made fun of the fact that you showed absolutely no foresight whatsoever. you did nothing more than monday morning qb. thats the great thing about hindsight.... even a chimp can use it to try to appear smarter than they actually are.)

try this on for size. in 07 the steelers also coulda passed on timmons and woodley and taken james marten and ryan harris and finally had the OT bookends that ignorant fans clamour for. the last thing wee nedded at the time was linebackers, right?

now im not being critical of your unoriginal monday morning take because you are just a fan or because i think the front office is always right (you are and they arent).

my critisizm stems from me knowing a hell of alot more about how a front office actually works than you do. :drink:

:wave:

BKAnthem
09-25-2011, 11:49 AM
wow! i am amazed, flabbergasted and stunned by your amazing forsight and prescience.

not only should you be working in the steelers FO, you should be telling fortunes, predicting lottery numbers and shit.

(see what i did there? i made fun of the fact that you showed absolutely no foresight whatsoever. you did nothing more than monday morning qb. thats the great thing about hindsight.... even a chimp can use it to try to appear smarter than they actually are.)

try this on for size. in 07 the steelers also coulda passed on timmons and woodley and taken james marten and ryan harris and finally had the OT bookends that ignorant fans clamour for. the last thing wee nedded at the time was linebackers, right?

now im not being critical of your unoriginal monday morning take because you are just a fan or because i think the front office is always right (you are and they arent).

my critisizm stems from me knowing a hell of alot more about how a front office actually works than you do. :drink:

:wave:

I would have taken those 2, you would not have, Ryan Harris was to light in the ass for us..he was perfect for Denvers zone blocking system though...i also liked Antoine Caldwell and though he could have helped our RG woes but we passed on him too....Both those guys Volmer or Veldheer wouldn't have afected our draft much if at all both years so this isn't Monday morning QB'ing it's pointing out the obvious...there were flaws not addressed, we didn't need Worilds at 2, especially when Timmons can slide outside in a pinch and we still have foote...and i didn't think Urbick was anything special so why not take a chance on Vollmer? Who cares what you know? that fact is this line is poor and they passed up on or failed until recently (hopefully) on ways to improve it

Steelersfan87
09-25-2011, 04:57 PM
Why are you even talking about tackles? The Steelers already have their tackles in Colon and Gilbert.