PDA

View Full Version : Wk. 2- The good, the bad, & the ugly

tony hipchest
09-19-2011, 12:46 AM
the good-
ben roethlisburger- despite the announcers constantly harping on his high throws (as if he was having a horrible game) he finished 22-30 for a tang hair under 300 yds.

mike wallace
hines ward- crushing linebackers on run plays and that sideline catch show why he isnt yet relegated to the bench. one of our most heady and reliable players.
emmanuel sanders and antonio brown- these guys would probably easilly be starters on the colts, replacing the likes of pierre garcon or anthony gonzalez, where they wouldnt be asked to do nothing more than run fast and catch the ball. unfortunately we arent the colts and we have a run game. their time will come. int the meantime their return skills are starting to look exceptional.

(and heath and rashard who had a few combined receptions as well)

all in all the ball catchers hands were glue.

19 rushes by mendenhall and a more ballanced attack called by arians (although there is a sack or 2 and 5 rushing attempts not counted as pass plays).

shutout and 5 sacks ;by the defense goes w/o saying, but im saying it cause it was good.

the bad-

ben getting beat up.

heath miller with only 1 rec and i think just targeted twice.

suisham missing an easy 41 yarder with absolutely no wind. theres gonna come a time where a 41 yard fg is the difference of a win or loss, or we need a critical kick to win a game. lets hope he got it out of his system in a game where points werent a premium.

the announcers apologizing for his miss talking how hard it is to kick into the open endzone as if there were wind that might have missed his kick. he flat out missed.

the ugly-

red zone and especially goaline offense. ben can sneak the ball. have we EVER let rashard try a dive play? :tap: the slow developing shit with a foot to go, has got to be tossed out the window.

ben actually being called a drama queen because he had the audacity to show physical evidence of pain, on a play that knocked the qb queen, tom brady, out for the season.

refs will not throw a flag in bens favor unless their jobs are on the line for blatant neglect of the rules. roger goodell (who is currently at the concussed mike vicks bedside) probably cursed when he saw ben re-enter the game.

:helmet:

OX1947
09-19-2011, 02:49 AM
I wish the steelers had gotten David Akers in the off season. Suisham worries me.

Rick5895
09-19-2011, 06:52 AM
I wish the steelers had gotten David Akers in the off season. Suisham worries me.

Suisham worries me too, his M.O. has always been he kicks well for the new team then in year two (this season for us) he falters and then he is gone by year three. Lets hope that was just a "mis hit" and not a sign of things to come.

Steelerfreak58
09-19-2011, 11:08 AM
A win is a win but that was against a god awful Seahawks team. What happened to scoring points in the second half of games?

MACH1
09-19-2011, 01:04 PM
Arians didn't abandon the run completely in this game.

TRH
09-19-2011, 02:29 PM
as for Ben getting "beat up". I've been saying for weeks now, he's GOING to get killed this year. I'll be shocked if he makes it through the year with our OL getting run over.

Fire Arians
09-19-2011, 03:04 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/09/breaking-down-the-steelers-20-yard-touchdown-run-by-isaac-redman/

check out this breakdown of redman's 20 yard play. ward and foster totally beasted on their blocks.

tony hipchest
09-19-2011, 03:24 PM
nice find. excellent work by steelersdepot.

we have a member here who couldnt recall hines ward doing anything note worthy or worth mention in the blocking game. i'll have to give him this link.

hopefully foster can earn back his spot.

pancake
09-19-2011, 03:28 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/09/breaking-down-the-steelers-20-yard-touchdown-run-by-isaac-redman/

check out this breakdown of redman's 20 yard play. ward and foster totally beasted on their blocks.

Is Legursky really better than Foster?

tony hipchest
09-19-2011, 03:37 PM
Is Legursky really better than Foster?i believe the coaches just fell in love with his above par play in the superbowl.

but that was him playing center with 330 lbs of beef on either side of him. him and the light pouncey together make a penetrable gap.

Danny136200
09-19-2011, 03:39 PM
A win is a win but that was against a god awful Seahawks team. What happened to scoring points in the second half of games?

We did not need to, this is not college football, no need to blow out an opponent. Plus we scored a TD in the second half.

solardave
09-19-2011, 04:40 PM
the good-
ben roethlisburger- despite the announcers constantly harping on his high throws (as if he was having a horrible game) he finished 22-30 for a tang hair under 300 yds.

mike wallace
hines ward- crushing linebackers on run plays and that sideline catch show why he isnt yet relegated to the bench. one of our most heady and reliable players.
emmanuel sanders and antonio brown- these guys would probably easilly be starters on the colts, replacing the likes of pierre garcon or anthony gonzalez, where they wouldnt be asked to do nothing more than run fast and catch the ball. unfortunately we arent the colts and we have a run game. their time will come. int the meantime their return skills are starting to look exceptional.

(and heath and rashard who had a few combined receptions as well)

all in all the ball catchers hands were glue.

19 rushes by mendenhall and a more ballanced attack called by arians (although there is a sack or 2 and 5 rushing attempts not counted as pass plays).

shutout and 5 sacks ;by the defense goes w/o saying, but im saying it cause it was good.

the bad-

ben getting beat up.

heath miller with only 1 rec and i think just targeted twice.

suisham missing an easy 41 yarder with absolutely no wind. theres gonna come a time where a 41 yard fg is the difference of a win or loss, or we need a critical kick to win a game. lets hope he got it out of his system in a game where points werent a premium.

the announcers apologizing for his miss talking how hard it is to kick into the open endzone as if there were wind that might have missed his kick. he flat out missed.

the ugly-

red zone and especially goaline offense. ben can sneak the ball. have we EVER let rashard try a dive play? :tap: the slow developing shit with a foot to go, has got to be tossed out the window.

ben actually being called a drama queen because he had the audacity to show physical evidence of pain, on a play that knocked the qb queen, tom brady, out for the season.

refs will not throw a flag in bens favor unless their jobs are on the line for blatant neglect of the rules. roger goodell (who is currently at the concussed mike vicks bedside) probably cursed when he saw ben re-enter the game.

:helmet:

I agree with everything you said Tony. I was watching NFL network showing the replay of the hit on Ben and Jamie Dukes said and I quote "I wouldn't have thrown the flag". Honest to God I mean I know he is a dumbass to the 10th degree but that comment sets a new record for stupidity!!!

SunshineMan21
09-19-2011, 05:30 PM

Man, Ward destroys Thomas.

ricardisimo
09-19-2011, 05:44 PM

Nice. Thanks. :tt03:

Steelerfreak58
09-20-2011, 10:08 AM
We did not need to, this is not college football, no need to blow out an opponent. Plus we scored a TD in the second half.

Need to nope but couldn't seemed more like it.

SoCalFan
09-20-2011, 11:04 AM
Nice writeup Tony.The game went well and I cant wait til we see the rats again.My biggest concern is also keeping Ben off his back! How the hell do the Patsys do it every year with the patchwork O-lines protecting baby Brady so well?He constantly sits back there with all the time in the world picking people apart.Our own patchwork O-line needs some of that mojo...Obviously Ben can throw,and with our recievers we would really be unstoppable!!! COME ON O-LINE!!!

Riddle_Of_Steel
09-21-2011, 01:22 AM
THE GOOD

1) Pitching a shutout, no matter who it is against, is sweeeeeeettt. Especially for a defensive unit that took a BEATING in the press after the week 1 debacle in Baltimore.

2) Seeing a healthy rotation of Redman and Mendy. Really nice one-two punch.

3) Marcus Gilbert played well and gives us some hope for the future of our Oline.

THE BAD

1) The knee hits on Ben. I thought that first one was our season swirling down the drain. But after finding out Ben was fine, that was some FUNNY AZZ rag doll physics when he went down-- arms outstretched in a "Y", and crumpled to the ground in slow motion. I wish Madden NFL had rag doll physics that hilarious-- instead all I get is my guys walking off the field holding his arm when it says he hurt his chest LOL!

2) Our red zone woes are back (not sure if they ever left).

THE BEST

1) Seattle has not scored a single point against us since 3rd quarter of SB XL.

2) The Ravens forgot they had to prepare for the other 30 teams in the NFL and got brought back down to earth by a mediocre Titans team. Flacco was back to just plain old Joe Sack-o and Ray Lewis's age showed in that loss. The score of that week 1 game means nothing now, 1-1 is 1-1.