PDA

View Full Version : Gay Meter at +1

ETL
09-20-2011, 07:05 PM
I just saw the whole game and kept my eye on the Gay guy the whole time.

He had a great game. He gave up a few passes - all for short gains and in front of him. He broke up a few passes as well and did not commit an interference penalty.

If anything, Tavaris Jackson was picking on Keenan Lewis and avoiding throwing to Gay. He did not get credit for a sack but was right there when Foote recorded his sack. And he drew the attention of the left tackle and actually some of the middle linemen as well when McClendon got his sack as they were all worried about the Gay guy getting to their QB.

I'm sorry but even if you are the weakest starter on a defense - if the defense gives up ZERO points, you've done something well.

Gay gets a +2 score for this game and overall his meter reading is at +1.

BengalDestroyer
09-20-2011, 07:16 PM
True. He didn't have his worst game but we played one of the worst offenses in the league...
I like Gay, and defended his re signing, however we can't blame XLV or the opener on one guy... and the defense as whole needs to step up the next time we play a legit offense...

harrison'samonster
09-20-2011, 07:26 PM
Hooray for Gay! I'd have to agree, from what I saw he looked pretty good last Sunday.

I seem to remember him getting picked on a bit, but that just shows how reliable my memory is.

GMU Steeler
09-20-2011, 09:39 PM
I thought he looked better than McFadden did. He wasn't amazing but he did his joib since as you said there were 0 points allowed but it's also worth mentioning that Seattle only got in Pittsburgh territory once all game. Yeah it was the Seahawks I agree but any given Sunday still and that's still the team that beat the Saints in the playoffs.

ebsteelers
09-21-2011, 08:49 AM
maybe he is turning the corner

truesteelerfan
09-21-2011, 02:27 PM
We can all hope he's turned the corner...but really T Jackson isn't anything I would want as my practice squad QB....

Steelerfreak58
09-22-2011, 12:03 AM
Its a start.

mikegrimey
09-22-2011, 07:18 PM
I like the idea of a weekly Gay meter. Wonder where it will be by the end...

Stinky Fred
09-22-2011, 07:22 PM
Gay is good.

DanRooney
09-22-2011, 07:38 PM
I like the idea of a weekly Gay meter. Wonder where it will be by the end...

Well if we factor in the Patriots game down the round I'd say he finishes the season around -45

ETL
09-22-2011, 09:34 PM
Well if we factor in the Patriots game down the round I'd say he finishes the season around -45

LOL! Dude, i love how consistent you are. Very negative, but consistent.

WickedSteel
09-22-2011, 09:50 PM

Yeah and the sad part is that he will be getting torched by a freaking TE!

Atlanta Dan
09-22-2011, 10:03 PM
Yeah and the sad part is that he will be getting torched by a freaking TE!

New England Patriots 2011 - 19-0 guaranteed?

WickedSteel
09-22-2011, 10:10 PM
Until it looks like anyone can stop their offense this year, it looks very possible. They look better this year than they did in 07 and that is scary.

tony hipchest
09-22-2011, 10:38 PM
Yeah and the sad part is that he will be getting torched by a freaking TE!whats so sad about it and why do you curse tight ends? how many cb's do you know who can cover a damn good tight end while giving up 50-70 lbs and 5-8 inches? this is a matchup a qb with the accuracy of brady is a master of exploiting.

Until it looks like anyone can stop their offense this year, it looks very possible. They look better this year than they did in 07 and that is scary.lemme guess....

you have watched every single patriots game for the past 15 years as well.

you are so sad and scared, i am really starting to feel for you.

its one thing for steelerfans to be pleased and optomistic about the steelers on a steelers board, but its completely taking it to another level with all the patriot ballwashing you and others constantly do.

Sixburgher
09-23-2011, 12:23 AM
WTF? Might as well start calling this place "Patriots Fever". Jesus H. Christ.

tony hipchest
09-23-2011, 12:33 AM
WTF? Might as well start calling this place "Patriots Fever". Jesus H. Christ.

the original patriots were commonly refered to as "turncoats".

Turncoat Fever has a nice ring to it.

WickedSteel
09-23-2011, 12:45 AM
Oops, I guess I need to start nut guzzling Arians and talk about how much of a genius he is, how tough Ben is, how skilled Mendy is, how fast Wallace is, how good Troy's hair looks in the wind, etc.

This is a discussion board about the Steelers and I was under the impression that discussions could take place. I knew there were some dyed in the wool homers here but come on! Why is it so wrong to point out flaws in our team's game while discussing what other teams are doing right?

Would you guys feel confident facing the Pats in the AFC Championship game as opposed to the Ravens or Jets again? Would you guys feel confident in a SB match up against the Saints or Packers again? I highly doubt it. How many on here were praying for the Jets to beat the Pats so we didn't have to play them in the POs and how many were praying for the Bears to beat the Packers so we didn't have to face them? Why? Because we all know what the weaknesses of this team are and they are exploited time and again when we play these types of teams. It happened last season when they played the Saints and Pats and it happened against the Pack in the SB. I know it is nothing new but THAT is the problem. How long is it going to take before the FO does something about it? Going deep into the playoffs every year but not quite having enough to win it all gets you nothing but a really low draft pick insuring that they draft middle of the pack, mediocre players each year. Add to the fact that they refuse to sign big name players in free agency and the vicious cycle continues.

tony hipchest
09-23-2011, 12:54 AM
Going deep into the playoffs every year but not quite having enough to win it all gets you nothing but a really low draft pick insuring that they draft middle of the pack, mediocre players each year. Add to the fact that they refuse to sign big name players in free agency and the vicious cycle continues.

WHAT

THE

are you talking about?

and where the **** were you in 05 and 08? your shit is wack!

Steelersfan87
09-23-2011, 01:01 AM
Every team's weakness is an elite quarterback with 5 quality pass catchers. Don't be so naive.

WickedSteel
09-23-2011, 01:03 AM
The O line was still one of the best in 05 and still better than the current version in 08. Add to the fact that the defense was 6 years younger in 05 and you can start to understand just what the hell I am talking about.

tony hipchest
09-23-2011, 01:23 AM
The O line was still one of the best in 05 and still better than the current version in 08. Add to the fact that the defense was 6 years younger in 05 and you can start to understand just what the hell I am talking about.

no i cant. our defense back then was comprised of-

von oelhoffen
porter
foote
haggans
townsend
hope

we have upgraded with -

keisel
harrison
timmons
woodley
gay/mcfadden
clark

townsend was hated back then just like gay and mcfadden are today. mcfadden was just a rookie playing nickel and was generally hated as much as well (until he finall got an int in the playoffs). ike was hated and even benched the following season. hope did pretty well for a season or 2 with the titans, but now i would take clark over him any day.

once hood and heyward take over in the next season or 2 we will be right back to where we once were with having one of the averaged aged defenses in the league.

plus age is just a number. also just numbers is james farrior having one of his statistically best seasons last year.

DanRooney
09-23-2011, 01:35 AM
I don't know what world you lived in, but Townsend was not nearly as hated as Gay is right now.

And LOL@James Farrior. He was one of the main culprits to that debacle in week 1. I don't think you know how to analyze anything that's going on during the game.

LVSteelersfan
09-23-2011, 02:52 AM
Sorry, but Gay had a soso game against an awful team. If he is the starter when we play anyone with a decent QB, the Steelers will get lit up big time. And it will all be aimed straight at him because he is the weak link.

ricardisimo
09-23-2011, 03:08 AM
Gay had a good game. Not so-so, but a good, solid game.

Collins is no Manning, but he's a savvy vet who's had some success against the Steelers, and should know where the weak links are. Although the Colts this week will not be quite the test we will get against the Pats and Ravens (and maybe the Texans), it should be a decent indicator of just how badly Gay sucks... or if, as some of us suspect, he's just OK. Not great, not awful.

Wallabeast17
09-23-2011, 11:07 AM
Gay had a good game. Not so-so, but a good, solid game.

Collins is no Manning, but he's a savvy vet who's had some success against the Steelers, and should know where the weak links are. Although the Colts this week will not be quite the test we will get against the Pats and Ravens (and maybe the Texans), it should be a decent indicator of just how badly Gay sucks... or if, as some of us suspect, he's just OK. Not great, not awful.

Don't we already know how badly he sucks..?

Steelersfan87
09-23-2011, 01:19 PM
Sorry, but Gay had a soso game against an awful team. If he is the starter when we play anyone with a decent QB, the Steelers will get lit up big time. And it will all be aimed straight at him because he is the weak link.

What you're forgetting is that in the nickel, Gay still plays inside, and opposing offenses tend to do their most damage in spread formations, against which Gay is not playing the 'starting' (outside) position.

ETL
09-23-2011, 01:33 PM

Well, i disagree with you and that is why the Gay Meter exists. We can monitor how much he suck or doesn't.

Fire Arians
09-23-2011, 01:56 PM

that's my beef with gay, he plays good in the garbage games, but ive yet to see him step up in a big game when we really need our younger players to step up. though being that he's a 5th round pick maybe i shouldn't expect too much other than just what he is, an average nickel/dime back

kirklandrules
09-23-2011, 02:37 PM

I remember a few games for that '08 team where I thought Ben's career would be ended. He got sacked 9 times against the Eagles that year and another 5 against the Giants (and if memory serves me he was under pressure that entire game). Boy, there were some threads just a few weeks back talking about how sh!tty Hartwig was, I think Stapleton made a better turnstile than right guard and Colon got 2-3 holding/false starts per game. The Ravens game, to me, was more about missed calls and bad schemes for the Steelers O-line and less about their talent ... which is good because those things can be fixed. You got your opinion, but I'll wait to see how this season plays out before I rank the 2011 O-line.

kirklandrules
09-23-2011, 02:56 PM
Back on topic ... Willie Gay does a lot of things, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't suck :wink02:

tony hipchest
09-23-2011, 08:00 PM
I don't know what world you lived in, but Townsend was not nearly as hated as Gay is right now.

And LOL@James Farrior. He was one of the main culprits to that debacle in week 1. I don't think you know how to analyze anything that's going on during the game.

have you sobered up yet?

ricardisimo
09-23-2011, 08:26 PM
What you're forgetting is that in the nickel, Gay still plays inside, and opposing offenses tend to do their most damage in spread formations, against which Gay is not playing the 'starting' (outside) position.
But Gay was the starting RCB last week, not the nickel.

Steelersfan87
09-23-2011, 09:19 PM
I know that. But they also played in the nickel package more than their base defense last week, meaning more often than not, he was playing the nickel.

mikegrimey
09-24-2011, 07:44 AM
Guess it's a good week to be a Gay supporter. The Gay meter might be trending upward this week too with the weak Colts playing, but be on the lookout for the likes of Houston and NE in the future -- might knock the Gay meter down a few notches.

finesward
09-24-2011, 01:25 PM
Looks like even with BMAC participating all week they are still starting gay. Might be a sign they are not interested in having the mac attack as a starter, which doesn't surprise me really. I don't think gay is the answer, as we found out a couple years ago, but if none of the other guys on the roster are showing the coaches anything what choice do they have?

davidtrout
09-24-2011, 01:37 PM
Looks like even with BMAC participating all week they are still starting gay. Might be a sign they are not interested in having the mac attack as a starter, which doesn't surprise me really. I don't think gay is the answer, as we found out a couple years ago, but if none of the other guys on the roster are showing the coaches anything what choice do they have?

That's exactly right. The don't have a choice. Whether they decide on BMac or Gay, those ARE the best options. Too many people talk about it like the coaches are unaware that these guys aren't ideal CBs. They can only work with the tools they have. If Allen or Brown or Lewis were better or even as good, they'd be in there.

ETL
09-24-2011, 06:39 PM
As a Gay supporter - this may surprise some but I would like to see either Lewis or better yet, the rookie Curtis Brown starting in BMAC's position and having William Gay continue his role as the nickel CB in the slot. I don't think Gay is good at covering just the speed guy on the outside. I think he is better in the middle - knowing when to come off his guy and tackle people catching balls in front of him.

ricardisimo
09-24-2011, 07:02 PM
I say we stick with what's working, even if it is against the likes of Seattle and Indy. Hopefully Brown and Lewis can get rotated in regularly.

Fire Arians
09-24-2011, 07:31 PM
That's exactly right. The don't have a choice. Whether they decide on BMac or Gay, those ARE the best options. Too many people talk about it like the coaches are unaware that these guys aren't ideal CBs. They can only work with the tools they have. If Allen or Brown or Lewis were better or even as good, they'd be in there.

B-mac isn't the best option, or he would be starting, and lewis wouldn't be the guy coming in when they go to nickel.

I said it before the season even started, mcfadden didn't play the entire preseason and didn't even participate in a full practice before starting in baltimore. coaches dropped the ball if they really thought he'd be ready when he didn't participate in the entire offseason