PDA

View Full Version : Cut Scott tomorrow

jjpro11
09-25-2011, 10:54 PM
i don't even want to see him on the bench or in street clothes on the sideline.

Stu Pidasso
09-25-2011, 10:59 PM
Cut him, and put Arians in for him. See how he likes it...

PhantomJB93
09-25-2011, 11:04 PM
I thought Gilbert should have been starting over him day 1 even when we had Colon

Of course, unfortunately now we have no better option to be honest...

Fire Arians
09-25-2011, 11:04 PM
im all for signing flozell now, i can deal with a false start here and there.

arizonasteel
09-25-2011, 11:36 PM
Gilbert looked like 4x the LT that Scott did.

Fire Arians
09-25-2011, 11:38 PM
Gilbert looked like 4x the LT that Scott did.

even with a banged up shoulder he's probably better than scott

OX1947
09-25-2011, 11:40 PM
im all for signing flozell now, i can deal with a false start here and there.

Funny thing about that is I think he only had one false start all year last year.

Wallabeast17
09-25-2011, 11:41 PM
even with a banged up shoulder he's probably better than scott

Like I posted earlier...
An injured Gilbert playing for 3 or 4 plays was a lot better then a healthy Scott the whole game..

therocksteeler
09-25-2011, 11:50 PM
I honestly thought Scott would respond better to the rush than he did. Freeny several times simply went around Scott. Scott appeared to be doing some kind of studder step like he was unsure of his assignment. Looking forward we cannot afford any more blind side sacks that my lead to score or worse injury to Ben.

:tt05:

JCPsteelers
09-26-2011, 12:16 AM
Scott had a bad game but I'm not sure it warrants him to be cut on the spot. Its not like he's out there not trying or anything.

PhantomJB93
09-26-2011, 12:19 AM
Scott had a bad game but I'm not sure it warrants him to be cut on the spot. Its not like he's out there not trying or anything.

Yeah but it's not like he's been even remotely solid in the past, he played a full season last year and even if we went to the Super Bowl he was easily the weakest link on that line.

He's nothing more than an emergency backup but he's started like our last 20 games or something...

JCPsteelers
09-26-2011, 12:22 AM
Yeah but it's not like he's been even remotely solid in the past, he played a full season last year and even if we went to the Super Bowl he was easily the weakest link on that line.

He's nothing more than an emergency backup but he's started like our last 20 games or something...

He's gotten off to a rough spot this season no doubt. We'll see how injured he is.

madtowndrunkard
09-26-2011, 12:27 AM
That was embarrassing.... When our O-line watches that game film they might just quit out of embarrassment. That was one of the more pathetic performances from our O-line that I've ever seen. All I can say is thank the man up stairs that the Colts don't have a QB. I can't believe there are many teams in the league that would not have whooped us tonight.

ricardisimo
09-26-2011, 12:30 AM
Please remember: Dwight Freeney does this on a regular basis.

NoFieldFive
09-26-2011, 01:04 AM
not only did Scott get used all night he also had 3 penalties

SunshineMan21
09-26-2011, 02:42 AM
Please remember: Dwight Freeney does this on a regular basis.

Yeah, but that may have been the worst LT performance I've ever seen. Literally--the dude just had no clue.

Gilbert is a rookie and he looked worlds better--it's not as it Scott has been good against non-Freeney DEs.

Besides Suggs and Freeney, how many guys have to torch Scott?

tony hipchest
09-26-2011, 03:11 AM
Besides Suggs and Freeney, how many guys have to torch Scott?

julius peppers and demarcus ware?

good thing we face mario williams next week. i hear that guy sucks and every LT is able to manhandle him with their good arm tied behind their back.

bornaSteelersfan
09-26-2011, 03:44 AM
I saw that replay of the fumble. Scott and Gilbert both were in on that play and completely botched it. They both just stood there and watched as Ben got knocked down and the ball came out. At least Gilbert tried to make a tackle, but he was way off the play and too little-too late. So I don't see how Gilbert is really any better at this point.

DanRooney
09-26-2011, 03:57 AM
I saw that replay of the fumble. Scott and Gilbert both were in on that play and completely botched it. They both just stood there and watched as Ben got knocked down and the ball came out. At least Gilbert tried to make a tackle, but he was way off the play and too little-too late. So I don't see how Gilbert is really any better at this point.

Scott was hilarious on that play. I lmao'd for a while at him looking confused. His attempt to catch/tackle the guy who picked up the ball was priceless.

effyou515
09-26-2011, 04:14 AM
if the Steelers had a RG that could pull and block the Steelers could of took advantage Freeny wide pass rush. or if the Steelers has a FB that could block the Steelers could took advantage of the Colts DEs pass rush.

TRH
09-26-2011, 07:28 AM
THAT was the worst game i think i've ever seen an OL play. Don't laugh.....he could get cut and we could call one of many released players sitting around waiting for the phone to ring.

theplatypus
09-26-2011, 08:37 AM

You have the memory of a flea.

truesteelerfan
09-26-2011, 03:08 PM
No point in cutting him- his salary is guaranteed and right now we just need bodies....Sign Adams or Starks....and use Scott as a backup. I agree with everyone here- he looked lost out there!

Rick5895
09-26-2011, 04:26 PM

ON the forced fumble sack for a TD Freeney caused can you explain how exactly Gilbert botched anything?. He did his job blocking his assignment, his back was to the QB so he had no idea that Scott let freeney go and the fumble was caused. Personally I thought Gilbert was the lone bright spot last night on the OL. And the with sack / fumble caused by Mathis, Gilbert did his job there too, ben had 5 plus seconds to throw, THAT WAS NOT ON GILBERT.
Scott had one of the worst games I have seen and there was no continuity in the run blocking, but from what I watched of Gilbert he did a good job and when he cam back in and played LT after he was injured he did a decent job then as well.

tanda10506
09-26-2011, 04:56 PM
He's the worst starting LT in the game, period. I've never seen one lineman get beat so bad so much. Gilbert looked way better, I only recall Gilbert having one bad play, as opposed to Scott where almost every play was bad. I know he was against Freeney, but I have never seen a game where a offensive lineman was highlighted and replayed so many times, nearly every offensive play. One time Freeney acutally spun him around like a top and threw him away, like he was a hitting dummy or something. And he looked like a "dummy" a lot to, he played a lot of games last year, there is no reason for him to look so lost on the field, especially when the rookie didn't. I think Gilbert is going to be good, he looks good, he came in hurt and looked better then Scott. Pouncey is great, Gilbert I think will end up playing solid this year, Kemoeatu isn't good but he's not that bad and he's a good pulling gaurd, I think if we get a good, solid, left tackle we will be ok. We can get by with a poor RG I think, we've gotten along with worse, we just can't have the blindside tackle playing like a backup for UCLA.

DanRooney
09-26-2011, 05:00 PM
THAT was the worst game i think i've ever seen an OL play. Don't laugh.....he could get cut and we could call one of many released players sitting around waiting for the phone to ring.

2008 regular season against the Eagles was worse, but not by much. Ironically it happened around the same week of the season. Hopefully the rest of the season plays out similarly.

BKAnthem
09-26-2011, 05:03 PM
When Freeney Bullrushed Scott into the backfield i lost turned off my TV

pancake
09-26-2011, 05:17 PM
I don't think one O Lineman had a decent game and that includes Pouncey. It might have been his worst game too...

fer522
09-26-2011, 05:46 PM
can we also cut Arians :noidea:

ricardisimo
09-26-2011, 07:21 PM
2008 regular season against the Eagles was worse, but not by much. Ironically it happened around the same week of the season. Hopefully the rest of the season plays out similarly.
Painful memory. Yeah, right around week four, which I remember because Tomlin seems to be 3-1 every single year (which bodes well for us next week, at least :wink02: ).

SunshineMan21
09-26-2011, 11:48 PM
julius peppers and demarcus ware?

good thing we face mario williams next week. i hear that guy sucks and every LT is able to manhandle him with their good arm tied behind their back.

No, but not every lineman gets destroyed at the rate Scott does, either. The dude gave up three sacks to Suggs, and got thrown around like a rag doll by Freeney.

Some of our comments are hyperbole--obviously we're not going to cut Scott, because it's not like we have a ton of better options--but if you honestly thought his performance last night was anything short of terrible I don't even know what to tell you.

Rotorhead
09-26-2011, 11:59 PM
So if Scott is not too injured, maybe we move Gilbert to LT and Scott to RT and keep a TE on the right to help there.

Riddle_Of_Steel
09-27-2011, 12:01 AM
No, but not every lineman gets destroyed at the rate Scott does, either. The dude gave up three sacks to Suggs, and got thrown around like a rag doll by Freeney.

Some of our comments are hyperbole--obviously we're not going to cut Scott, because it's not like we have a ton of better options--but if you honestly thought his performance last night was anything short of terrible I don't even know what to tell you.

For reals.

I am surprised by the number of folks that sound like they just realized last night that Jonathan Scott should not be a starting LT (especially not on Ben's blind side).

Did you guys forget last year? Suggs must look forward to playing us each time, because we make him look like an all-pro. He stole Scott's jockstrap last year in that AFCC game as well. Actually, pretty much every team we played since about week 5 last year, purposely stacks up the right side of their defense with all their best rushers because they KNOW we have turnstile at LT. I think if you lok at the stats, Jonathan Scott was responsible for some outrageuos number of sacks last year and is on pace to break that record this year.

I knew our Oline was in troubel back in the preseason when I saw they re-signed him and that he was ACTUALLY OUR STARTING LT....AGAIN.

I won't sit here and bash the guy personally-- I am sure he is trying his heart out, and I am also quite sure he is a better Left Tackle than I (well.....maybe), but for our team-- he has to go.

Another one that needs to go: Aaron Smith (very unfortunately). Nobody on that team or in this fanbase should ever forget the way he still showed up for the team when his young son was diagnosed with Leukemia, or the fact that in a league full of arrogant, trouble-making athletes, Smith is a true all-American, but.....his time is past. Our run defense gets shredded, almost as soon as he steps into the starting lineup. It used to be the exact opposite, but watching the games so far, this year, he is having trouble locking down that side of the line of scrimmage and forcing the runners back inside like he is known for. He is geting blown off the line and not getting any push at all. A shame.

Rotorhead
09-27-2011, 12:01 AM
And i agree, the Mathis sack was on Ben, they obviously got into Bens head as you saw him looking over his shoulder way too much in the second half.

19ward86
09-27-2011, 12:20 AM
max starks needs money...just sayin. plus he is left handed unlike colon, scott, and adams

tony hipchest
09-27-2011, 12:21 AM
1. t. suggs is an all-pro regardless of what we do.

2. suggs has abused every LT we have had going back to m. smith.

3. ALL teams put there best pass rushers on the qb's blindside (typically the defenses right side). this isnt jon scott specific. its basic football 101.

4. i have yet to see anyone on this board suggest last nights performance was anything short of terrible.

So if Scott is not too injured, maybe we move Gilbert to LT and Scott to RT and keep a TE on the right to help there.

heres an interresting tidbit from pat kirwan that is relevant to your post and our match up next week-

» Mario Williams will have at least 15 sacks this season. The Texans' new scheme is perfect for Williams, who has been flipping which side he attacks from based on where the tight end is. When the Dolphins moved the tight end to his side, Williams simply would swap sides and play the open area.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8226208d/article/gailey-proving-to-be-big-reason-why-bills-are-part-of-20-club

back on topic of scott, i know he had a horrible game, im just not gonna hop on the knee jerk reaction bandwagon and suggest we cut off our nose to spite our face. slim pickins out there for LT. yesterday we were down to our 3rd RT on the season.

we cant cut the entire line even if they are the suckiest bunch in the league (heard the same in 08 and 10)

then theres this bit of grounded reality and perspective-

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/9/26/2451672/steelers-23-colts-20-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly

•Based on the knee-jerk reaction of many fans here and on Facebook and Twitter, you would think that the Steelers offensive line had just turned in a performance as inept as the eight-sack game against the Philadelphia Eagles early on in the 2008 season. Uh, not quite. Big Ben had tons of time to throw for much of the night, and by game's end had only been sacked three times. I don't have the official count on me either, but he was also not 'hit' or 'knocked down' by Dwight Freeney or Robert Mathis too many other times outside of those three sacks. Nevertheless, it's hard to not categorize the play of Jonathan Scott as ugly. The one play where he didn't even get a hand on Freeney which led to another strip-sack was certainly an ugly play. I'm inclined to think it was a miscommunication issue, but you can't allow that kind of mistake to happen. We'll see how serious his injury was, but if I had to guess, he's going to be out for an extended period of time.

Steelersfan87
09-27-2011, 02:49 AM
I think people are forgetting that, aside from the Ravens game in the postseason last year, Scott's play did gradually get better to the point where he might have even reached 'competent' status for brief spurts. Yes, Suggs is his cryptonite (and no, he did not have 3 sacks on Scott this year, though he did have 3 sacks - but at least one, from recollection, was definitely not on Scott). At this point, however, he may have started his last game if Trai Essex manages to deliver anything even competent at RT or the Steelers sign somebody.

pete74
09-27-2011, 06:02 AM
the bottom line is that Ben will not make it thru the season with Scott at LT. I gurentee this. Ben will be injured this season if Scott remains our LT. He would be nothing more then a backup for 31 other teams. Hell The Bills didnt even want him as that

Wallabeast17
09-27-2011, 11:41 AM
the bottom line is that Ben will not make it thru the season with Scott at LT. I gurentee this. Ben will be injured this season if Scott remains our LT. He would be nothing more then a backup for 31 other teams. Hell The Bills didnt even want him as that

Couldn't agree more!
I don't know why he is in the NFL.

WickedSteel
09-27-2011, 06:34 PM
Mario Williams will eat Ben for lunch this Sunday. The Texans will be in the backfield all day long and Ben stands a good chance of getting injured and getting the ball turned over again.

Something needs done and quick. Your $100 million investment is getting creamed each and every game. They need to protect him and he needs to protect himself as well. This O line issue must be shored up and someone needs to drill into Ben's head that he must get rid of the ball if nothing is there.

Even if they can just correct some of the O line issues, the weak secondary wouldn't be such an issue. If the O line could become even decent, the Steelers should be able to score with the best of them given their weapons. Hell, the Bills are having immense success because of a good O line. They are opening holes for Jackson and giving Fitzpatrick time to find his receivers.

I figured this would be an issue and I am sad to say that my fears have been confirmed so far.

Steelersfan87
09-28-2011, 01:29 AM
http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2011/09/27/after-further-review-6/

On Dwight Freeney’s strip sack and ensuing touchdown return by Jamaal Anderson wasn’t Jonathan Scott’s fault.

Nope, it was Big Ben and Mike Wallace ‘living by the sword and dying by the sword.’

Rewind back to the third offensive play of the game for the Steelers – a 29-yard catch-and-run by Wallace. Cornerback Jerraud Powers jumped the route, but was late getting to the quick throw from Roethlisberger to Wallace that resulted in a big gain.

Don’t think Roethlisberger and Wallace didn’t notice either that Powers jumped the route.

So when the same play was called late in the first half with the near identical formation other than a third receiver in the game rather than a second tight end, Roethlisberger and Wallace did their own little thing and decided not to let anybody else in on it – well, at least that’s what the films says.

The play was supposed to be another quick-hitter to Wallace, but they decided to fake that and go deep. More like it, it was probably something that was discussed between Roethlisberger, Arians and Wallace sometime during the first half.

In theory, it was a good idea.

In reality, it was a disaster.

First of all, Scott is setting for a two-step drop and a quick throw by Roethlisberger. Scott was in perfect position with his inside protected well for where he thought Roethlisberger was going to be vulnerable.

When Roethlisberger decided to take a couple more steps back, Scott was instantly out of position and Freeney had a free run at him.

What makes this play so intriguing is that even if Roethlisberger would’ve gotten the ball away to Wallace, it would’ve come back.

Guard Chris Kemoeatu was 10 yards down the field going over a linebacker – exactly where he was supposed to be because it was supposed to be such a quick throw. Also, Heath Miller and Hines Ward were already blocking down field.

It just goes to show you that even though the replay appears that Scott was absolutely whipped by Freeney on the play, all the blame really needs to go to the quarterback.

tony hipchest
09-28-2011, 01:58 AM
^^^^ great tidbit and inside nugget. unfortunately it will mostly fall on deaf ears.

a majority of people already got their minds made up. scott is rubbish and must go.

same thing happened to william gay when he was unable to tackle adrian peterson in the open field.

Steelersfan87
09-28-2011, 01:44 PM
And another:

Gerry: Don't blame Scott for Colts TD
WEDNESDAY, 28 SEPTEMBER 2011 13:12 WRITTEN BY GERRY DULAC

Left tackle Jonathan Scott has been taking all the blame for the sack by Colts DE Dwight Freeney that resulted in a 47-yard fumble return for touchdown.

But I found out today from some of the players that the sack was not Scott's fault. Rather, it was the fault of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

The play in question -- second-and-10 at the Colts 42 in the second quarter – was supposed to be a draw with a quick-pass option. Scott took a short drop-step on Freeney because that is what he is supposed to do on a draw play -- let Freeney get upfield to the outside so he runs himself out of the play.

Left guard Chris Kemoeatu was also blocking downfield on the play, another indication it was a running play.

Roethlisberger has the option to throw on that play, based on the defense, but it is supposed to use a quick, three-step drop to get rid of the ball before the pressure arrives. Instead, he took a five-step drop, allowing Freeney enough time to hit him from behind, forcing a fumble that Jamaal Anderson returned for a touchdown to tie the score at 10-10.

Don’t blame Scott for the turnover. He was only doing what he was supposed to do.

BKAnthem
09-28-2011, 01:46 PM
It was one play...doesn't account for scoots overall game that night...and yes,,,he had the daunting task of blocking Freeney, but he was turned inside out all night...at one point he was even BULLRUSHED by Freeney a guy maybe 30-40 pounds lighter into the backfield.and that wasn't Ben or Wallaces fault

Rick5895
09-28-2011, 02:26 PM
It was one play...doesn't account for scoots overall game that night...and yes,,,he had the daunting task of blocking Freeney, but he was turned inside out all night...at one point he was even BULLRUSHED by Freeney a guy maybe 30-40 pounds lighter into the backfield.and that wasn't Ben or Wallaces fault

Scott didn't have a good game, in fact he was awful, however, when an OT gets driven back by a smaller DE usually it sthe result of leverage.The smaller quicker player can get "underneath" the OT gasn leverage then drive. Most guys in the NFL are freakishly strong and leverage is the great equalizer. Extremely talented players like freeny usually win this battle, we have been watching Silverback do the same thing to OT's for years. (and some pretty damn good ones at that)

BKAnthem
09-28-2011, 02:32 PM
Scott didn't have a good game, in fact he was awful, however, when an OT gets driven back by a smaller DE usually it sthe result of leverage.The smaller quicker player can get "underneath" the OT gasn leverage then drive. Most guys in the NFL are freakishly strong and leverage is the great equalizer. Extremely talented players like freeny usually win this battle, we have been watching Silverback do the same thing to OT's for years. (and some pretty damn good ones at that)

True...but that was like the icing on Scotts "shit cake" for me...

ricardisimo
09-28-2011, 02:33 PM
Which brings up a question I've asked of all the Steelers beat writers, as well as several writers at ESPN, SI, etc., and I've yet to receive an answer: Why are offensive linemen getting taller, rather than shorter. Not only is there the leverage issue, but wouldn't you want you line blockers to be shorter than the QB, and significantly so? That one metric would improve his visibility and his longevity. :noidea:

BKAnthem
09-28-2011, 02:35 PM
Which brings up a question I've asked of all the Steelers beat writers, as well as several writers at ESPN, SI, etc., and I've yet to receive an answer: Why are offensive linemen getting taller, rather than shorter. Not only is there the leverage issue, but wouldn't you want you line blockers to be shorter than the QB, and significantly so? That one metric would improve his visibility and his longevity. :noidea:

i call it the "Boselli effect" everyone fell in love with Tall strong lineman it seemed after he came on the scene...just my theory

WickedSteel
09-28-2011, 04:38 PM
This is all part of the frustration. These problems are nothing new and yet NOBODY can seem to correct them. If you have a young and inexperienced line, why are you getting them confused and missing assignments by "doing your own thing" without them knowing it?

These problems have been around for years and yet they are never solved. Arians and Ben need to quit trying to outfox everyone and help the line out by running quick plays and building confidence in them.

Atlanta Dan
09-28-2011, 04:52 PM
It is clear someone wants to get the word out the sack/fumble/TD was Ben's fault

Gerry Dulac with the P-G also is reporting that Ben did not execute the play and Scott blocked it properly

I found out today that the play in question -- second-and-10 at the Colts 42 in the second quarter – was supposed to be a draw with a quick-pass option

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers

The difference is Dulac admits he was told about it while Kaboly from the Trib-Review leaves the impression he is the Ron Jaworski of western PA and figured it out by breaking down film:noidea:

IMO the coaching staff is getting frustrated with Ben's early season carelessness with the ball and is putting out this information to the Trib-Review and P-G

Atlanta Dan
09-28-2011, 04:56 PM
Which brings up a question I've asked of all the Steelers beat writers, as well as several writers at ESPN, SI, etc., and I've yet to receive an answer: Why are offensive linemen getting taller, rather than shorter. noidea:

Other than an outlier such as Brees your prototypical QB is Brady/Peyton/Ben/Josh Freeman size and getting taller too

Leverage works if proper blocking technique counts - greater height and the longer arms that go with it counts for more under the holding that is called pass blocking these days?:noidea:

tanda10506
09-28-2011, 05:41 PM
Either way Scott still had a horrible game, maybe the worst ever for a LT. I don't see how the QB could not understand a play, but it sounds like it happened. I usually don't blame Ben for fumbling, especially when he gets hit in the back, but it's getting out of hand. I know he has zero time and no run game, which is a valid reason for why are passing game is lacking, but he still has to protect the ball. The Colts game was looking like a blowout untill the turnovers. All that said, Scott isn't an option for a starting tackle. He might be the worst I have ever seen.

DanRooney
09-28-2011, 05:54 PM
^^^^ great tidbit and inside nugget. unfortunately it will mostly fall on deaf ears.

a majority of people already got their minds made up. scott is rubbish and must go.

same thing happened to william gay when he was unable to tackle adrian peterson in the open field.

Okay what's the excuse for all the penalties and other plays he got beat on? There is none. This man is a terrible LT.

btaylor179
09-28-2011, 05:55 PM
yea i never thought i would be wanting to see flozell but bring him on

steelers33
09-28-2011, 07:32 PM

So they can cover as much ground as possible against a faster defense. You see DEs that run 4.5's but you have never seen an offensive tackle run a 4.5. So to make up the speed advantage their bodies have to cover more ground. That means a longer reach so they can pop a defender right away and longer strides so they can have a longer kick step in pass pro. Thats why tackles are the tallest, but for the interior lineman who are still decently tall, it still applies because they could be trying to pick up a fast linebacker or a DT who is not necessarily in their gap so they need to cover that extra ground. Leverage is the most important thing for a linemen to have. When I used to be a lineman the most important thing was to always stay low. That is why the 6'7 OTs have to have good knee bend and flexible hips so they stay low while blocking but still cover ground. I do not believe Jonathan Scott has this, but Marcus Gilbert may.

Fire Arians
09-28-2011, 08:32 PM
It is clear someone wants to get the word out the sack/fumble/TD was Ben's fault

Gerry Dulac with the P-G also is reporting that Ben did not execute the play and Scott blocked it properly

I found out today that the play in question -- second-and-10 at the Colts 42 in the second quarter – was supposed to be a draw with a quick-pass option

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers

The difference is Dulac admits he was told about it while Kaboly from the Trib-Review leaves the impression he is the Ron Jaworski of western PA and figured it out by breaking down film:noidea:

IMO the coaching staff is getting frustrated with Ben's early season carelessness with the ball and is putting out this information to the Trib-Review and P-G

I don't think it was part of the play design to let freeney in without getting touched. Getting beat is one thing but Scott WHIFFED. how do you whiff on a 300 lb target? That play was 100% Scott's fault, you can't convince me otherwise if you watch the play again

At the very least, he could have stopped the progress of the colts defender, instead he stood there with his hands on his hips, watching ben get hit and doing NOTHING until the defender has a good 3 seconds to scoop the ball and start running with it.

what a worthless pile of shit.

the FO is just doing the politically correct thing by not throwing scott under the bus. however they're probably thinking what everyone else is, just we have nobody to replace him.

Fire Arians
09-28-2011, 08:39 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/jonathan-scott-butt-block.gif

watch this and tell me if this scrub belongs in a steeler uniform. this is just downright embarassing lol.

DanRooney
09-28-2011, 10:06 PM
I don't think it was part of the play design to let freeney in without getting touched. Getting beat is one thing but Scott WHIFFED. how do you whiff on a 300 lb target? That play was 100% Scott's fault, you can't convince me otherwise if you watch the play again

At the very least, he could have stopped the progress of the colts defender, instead he stood there with his hands on his hips, watching ben get hit and doing NOTHING until the defender has a good 3 seconds to scoop the ball and start running with it.

the FO is just doing the politically correct thing by not throwing scott under the bus. however they're probably thinking what everyone else is, just we have nobody to replace him.

+100000000000
:hatsoff:

Atlanta Dan
09-28-2011, 10:14 PM
I don't think it was part of the play design to let freeney in without getting touched. Getting beat is one thing but Scott WHIFFED. how do you whiff on a 300 lb target? That play was 100% Scott's fault, you can't convince me otherwise if you watch the play again.

It was a run - Kemo is 5 yards down the field past the line of scrimmage if you click on this link

http://www.nfl.com/videos/pittsburgh-steelers/09000d5d822924c8/Colts-defense-sack-11-yd-loss

Roethlisberger said he audibled to a pass to Wallace but nobody on the line knew it:banging:

WickedSteel
09-28-2011, 10:25 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/jonathan-scott-butt-block.gif

watch this and tell me if this scrub belongs in a steeler uniform. this is just downright embarassing lol.

Maybe he should block with his back more often.:noidea:

Once he got his back turned, hw took out TWO rushers! Secret new technique?:flap:

steelfury02
09-29-2011, 10:07 AM
"Roethlisberger said he audibled to a pass to Wallace but nobody on the line knew it"

THIS is not acceptable. This is the type of crap that makes me scratch my head. Cmon - do we need to email a list of things they have to know pat before game day?

smheart78
09-29-2011, 11:50 AM
That was not a run, Mendy knew the handoff was a fake play action. So. then, should have the line. That line seems too frantically worried about the opposition instead of the intangibles of the play call. Serious focus on the calls will go a long way to help the line. Missed gaps, missed assignments, etc. should go away over time and the line should start to gel. It just sucks that turn over at the line will make this take longer.:coffee:

Steelersfan87
09-29-2011, 04:14 PM

See, this is when things start to get out of hand.

First of all...what the **** is wrong with you? What kind of person are you? Jonathan Scott is a "worthless pile of shit" because he happens to play poorly for the team that you like the most? Get a god damn sense of perspective. This is the point at which things go too far. The quality of an individual has nothing to do with how well he performs athletically, something that a lot of people seem to forget. Whether you meant it or it was hyperbole or whatever, to even go in that direction is really sad. Did he beat his wife or baby? Did he kill a dog? Did he rob somebody? Come on, get real. This is why I joked a couple weeks ago that I wish Bruce Arians would get cancer. Fans get so worked up that they actually build up a dislike, or even hatred, of otherwise good people simply because they don't live up to the expectations of fans in performing their jobs in what is literally a game.

Also, this has nothing to do with the front office or being politically correct. What kind of absurd conspiracy theory is this? Besides, there's plenty of evidence to support the claim that Roethlisberger, unbeknownst to 9 other players running the play, was ad-libbing and not doing what he was supposed to do. Both Kemo and Miller take off downfield. Had he actually gone deep to Wallace, they would have had ineligible men downfield. Also, it's pretty obvious that Scott deliberately turns a short corner as he was expecting a short drop. He can't see Ben stepping back 5 of more steps...and the problem with that is that Freeney could, making it easy for him to just speed past Scott.

Nobody here is defending Scott as a quality left tackle or a long-term solution of any sort. But some of the piling on is seriously excessive, and angling toward personal insults and attacks is way too far.

ricardisimo
09-29-2011, 04:58 PM
It was a run - Kemo is 5 yards down the field past the line of scrimmage if you click on this link

http://www.nfl.com/videos/pittsburgh-steelers/09000d5d822924c8/Colts-defense-sack-11-yd-loss

Roethlisberger said he audibled to a pass to Wallace but nobody on the line knew it:banging:
Not only that, but take a peak at where Mendy is when Freeney gets past Scott. They can call it an "option" if they want, but that was as clear a running play as I've ever seen. Would've been at least 5-10 yard gain. Very stupid.

BKAnthem
09-29-2011, 07:56 PM
this is all fine and good but it became apparent early that Scott was nowhere near capable of handling freeney...not even A little bit

ricardisimo
09-29-2011, 08:13 PM
this is all fine and good but it became apparent early that Scott was nowhere near capable of handling freeney...not even A little bit
I don't think anyone is arguing for Scott. He's not good. Period. But Freeney makes lots of people look no good. And the only play that Freeney had that meant anything - the sack and fumble - was not Scott's fault. That's what we're saying.

tony hipchest
09-29-2011, 08:50 PM
it does kinda help to know that ben has been "going rogue". couple that with accusations of him being a diva and drama queen and i guess that makes him the sarah palin of the nfl.

the only difference is sarah palin was accused of raping an entire state. :sofunny:

(i kill me)

DanRooney
09-29-2011, 09:08 PM
See, this is when things start to get out of hand.

First of all...what the **** is wrong with you? What kind of person are you? Jonathan Scott is a "worthless pile of shit" because he happens to play poorly for the team that you like the most? Get a god damn sense of perspective. This is the point at which things go too far. The quality of an individual has nothing to do with how well he performs athletically, something that a lot of people seem to forget. Whether you meant it or it was hyperbole or whatever, to even go in that direction is really sad. Did he beat his wife or baby? Did he kill a dog? Did he rob somebody? Come on, get real. This is why I joked a couple weeks ago that I wish Bruce Arians would get cancer. Fans get so worked up that they actually build up a dislike, or even hatred, of otherwise good people simply because they don't live up to the expectations of fans in performing their jobs in what is literally a game.

Also, this has nothing to do with the front office or being politically correct. What kind of absurd conspiracy theory is this? Besides, there's plenty of evidence to support the claim that Roethlisberger, unbeknownst to 9 other players running the play, was ad-libbing and not doing what he was supposed to do. Both Kemo and Miller take off downfield. Had he actually gone deep to Wallace, they would have had ineligible men downfield. Also, it's pretty obvious that Scott deliberately turns a short corner as he was expecting a short drop. He can't see Ben stepping back 5 of more steps...and the problem with that is that Freeney could, making it easy for him to just speed past Scott.

Nobody here is defending Scott as a quality left tackle or a long-term solution of any sort. But some of the piling on is seriously excessive, and angling toward personal insults and attacks is way too far.

You apparently don't know when someone is being facetious. He obviously did not literally mean he's a "pile of shit." He meant to that he sucks as a LT and should not be starting at LT. And your backlash here was personal than his was imo.

tony hipchest
09-29-2011, 09:29 PM
i get it that people will use the internetz message boards to vent their anger and sadness after their favorite teams loss, but those who are calling scott the worst lineman ever, obviously have short term memory loss and have forgotten sean mahan.

Steelersfan87
09-29-2011, 10:13 PM
You apparently don't know when someone is being facetious. He obviously did not literally mean he's a "pile of shit." He meant to that he sucks as a LT and should not be starting at LT. And your backlash here was personal than his was imo.

That's quite obviously not the point. :doh:

DanRooney
09-29-2011, 11:24 PM
That's quite obviously not the point. :doh:

I have no idea why you sounded so upset at him dogging Scott then.

And as for Mahan...I think both he and Scott are on the same level. That was the worst I've seen the line play since the '08 Eagles game.

tony hipchest
09-29-2011, 11:56 PM
And as for Mahan...I think both he and Scott are on the same level. That was the worst I've seen the line play since the '08 Eagles game.it was bad but vs the eagles in '08 was much worse. i remember.

we lost.... in a game we shoulda easilly won.

a silent snap count for a visiting team in indy is as much as an equalizer as p. manning playing outside, on the road, in a snowstorm, in january.

thats why its called a "homefield advantage".

thats simple, basic, football 101, knowledge.