PDA

View Full Version : Week 3 Post Game Thread

SteelCityMom
09-25-2011, 10:48 PM
Post game thoughts here please!

ZoneBlitzer
09-25-2011, 10:49 PM
About as ugly as a win gets. The number priority going forward needs to be establishing the run game. The Steelers could not run the ball at all for most of the night until inexplicably on the final drive of the game. I thought Pouncey really struggled tonight as well.

Buddha Bus
09-25-2011, 10:50 PM
http://r28.imgfast.net/users/2815/14/51/45/smiles/1227708691.gif

PhantomJB93
09-25-2011, 10:51 PM
Did Tomlin bench Sanders for most of the game after he dropped that one pass early on? I know I saw him late but for a while I couldn't tell whether Ben just stopped targeting him or if Brown completely replaced him for a couple quarters.

Atlanta Dan
09-25-2011, 10:52 PM
Beats being 1-2

OL is awful, but we knew that already

I am encouraged Troy was flying around, but the play of Farrior and Smith is discouraging

Rick5895
09-25-2011, 10:53 PM
A win is a win, We gave em 13 points with the turnovers, and anyone who thinks that the Colts would have rolled over and played dead On a Nationally televised game is out of their mind. I figured this would be a tough one and we luckily won.
A lot of people will be hard on Scott and rightfully so (he was awful), but he was matched up against a future HOFer in Freeney, and Freeney has made a lot better OT's than Scott look as bad or worse.
I beleived this to be somewhat of a trap game with us going to Houston next week, but for craps sake we have to attempt to establish the run early. If Mendy wants to try out for Dancing With the Stars then put Redman in there.

I am sure , though, in the next week we will have the usual suspects whining about how we are awful and the sky falling.
My guess is we will be 12-4 or 11-5 by the end of the year and getting our groove on for a playoff run. I refuse to be pessimistic at this point of the season especially with a winning record.

GMU Steeler
09-25-2011, 10:54 PM
Ugly and we need to improve but I'll take a win any day over a loss. Our D has its first big challenge in Schuab and hte Texans next week.

SteelCityMom
09-25-2011, 10:54 PM
My postgame thought?

Thank God I'm drunk. :chuckle:

That's the only way I got through that game.

ricardisimo
09-25-2011, 10:56 PM
http://r28.imgfast.net/users/2815/14/51/45/smiles/1227708691.gif
:stupid:

Also, James Harrison appears to be back, and there is no way to underestimate that! Very, very cool. It bodes well for us.

tony hipchest
09-25-2011, 10:56 PM
Did Tomlin bench Sanders for most of the game after he dropped that one pass early on? I know I saw him late but for a while I couldn't tell whether Ben just stopped targeting him or if Brown completely replaced him for a couple quarters.

no... arians offense just tries to mimick exactly what the patriots do. if brady throws to 8 different receivers, ben has to as well. if welker is targeted 10 times, wallace will be as well. johnson only had 2 catches so thats all sanders got. deion branch was a decoy, so we saw hines used in the same regard. the patriots were down ;their 2nd tight end, so we didnt see shit from d. johnson.

:hunch: thats just how it is. arians is a genius!

Kanata-Steeler
09-25-2011, 10:59 PM
Put it this way,
I feel sorry for the team that has to play the Colts next week, 'cause the Colts are finally clicking with Kerry, and we ALL saw that tonite. The Colts are not a basement team, they just needed a few games to adjust.
Bills desperately killed the Pats today, and the Colts tried to do it to us.

"EDIT": -> Ok, I'm not actually happy with this win, and ya Ariens, ... still suks, but we'll play hard against the Texans next week -we're in the early groove now.
Keep up 'da Faith.

Fire Arians
09-25-2011, 11:01 PM
we will lose to the texans next week

Kanata-Steeler
09-25-2011, 11:03 PM

only if you bookmark this.
;)

Steel_Bus_24
09-25-2011, 11:03 PM
We got a long way to go before we can even think we have a legitimate shot this year.....We have to be able to run the ball if we're going to Pass Protect like that....

On D, we have to stuff the run way better.....Man I love A.Smith but he got his ass kicked out there tonight....Multiple times he got taken out of the play by just one dude....He used to drive back two regularly

Pass D is still Mediocre as usual.....but not being able to stuff the run is really playing with their heads

tony hipchest
09-25-2011, 11:04 PM
i thought it was a good and entertaining game. sure, i woulda prefered a 45-0 blowout but we simply arent built to put a ton of points on the board (by that i mean the OC doesnt know how to call a game that scores a ton of points).

i dont think ive ever seen troy, clark, or ike (sans 1 play where he bit on the fake and left garcon wide open) play a better game. :applaudit:

i am getting to the point where i really want to savor every minute troy is healthy and playing in a game. one of the best and most instinctive atheletes i have ever seen.

Danny136200
09-25-2011, 11:04 PM
This is what happens when you turn the ball over three times in a row. Pathetic showing by the run game let frenney and mathis tee off on two liable LTs. I know people hate Arians for not running the ball more, but the Colts linebackers were in our back field all night when we ran the ball. The defense was awesome for most the game, except for the last drive, they pretty much shut down the colt's offense. Polamalu could have made some plays, but was a 1/4 step behind (OMG he is getting old!!!!!!). And where the hell has been Woodley? I know he plays alot better in the second half of the season, but we need to develop a pass rush here.

Next up, the Texans, which they will be favored. I am actually felling pretty confident about next weeks game. I think that there defense is a little overrated (they were first before the game against the saints), and we can pass on them; but the key is to stay balanced and establish a constant running game. Their offense is somthing to be reckoned with. Wiht the way Ike is playing, he can shut down Johnson. We must rush the passer with consistency.

ETL
09-25-2011, 11:11 PM

So should we not play the game and just tell the NFL to count it as a loss?

StainlessStill
09-25-2011, 11:13 PM
This Steelers o-line makes me want to hurl. Wonder how many MORE years we'll go and neglect this pathetic, depressing unit. 3,4 more years until we wake up? Pouncey was our only progress worth a damn. Meanwhile, we'll just have bums coming into camp weighing 400 pounds.

PhantomJB93
09-25-2011, 11:14 PM
Positive things:

1. For the first time since, well, probably the game against the Bengals last season when he had that pick six, Troy looked like Troy again. All last playoffs and the first two games this year he was so quiet, but today he was finally all over the field again. I was getting worried he was never going to have that kind of impact again, but today showed he still had it.

2. Aside from the int, and the fumbles (which I attribute mostly to the Oline today), Ben, in my opinion, looked "great" again for the first time in a while as well. Today he seemed like he had "it" again; he had control over the offense and even when the run game was failing and the passing game was getting in a good "groove" for the first time this season.

3. Jonathan Scott looked hurt bad. As bad as it is for someone to be injured, this is probably the best thing that could have happened to our Oline.

4. Antonio Brown is becoming awesome in the return game.

DanRooney
09-25-2011, 11:15 PM

No that's what happens when your a fourth string WR when you should be a #3 at least.

therocksteeler
09-25-2011, 11:19 PM
We survived a hungry defense plain and simple. O line needs work on the left end. Our Defense did ok with containment. I noticed Tomlin could have thrown red flag on a 3rd and short play where Colt's back was clearly short of first down. Wonder why he did not contest ball placement? I noticed even the commentators took note to this oversight. The result of the next Colt's play was a 36 yard passing completion which led to a score.

:coffee:

ETL
09-25-2011, 11:22 PM
Post Game Thoughts?

Positives:

1. I think Troy played a good game. I know he missed several spectacular plays on that Painter TD drive however, he was flying all over the place and covering well.
2. Our WRs & Heath- obviously Wallace was huge but so was Brown; Sanders and Ward both had catches to move the chains. Heath had some big gains as well. I think this will be a feared group in the league.
3. 3rd Down Conversions - we did well against a fast defense. I think we converted more than 50% of the 3rd downs.
4. Ben's accuracy - he did not underthrow Wallace on the bomb; was accurate on several throws on the run. Obviously overthrew on the interception

Negatives:

1. Mendenhall dances around too much. He's got speed but he wastes it too much dancing. I saw one outlet pass where he caught the ball and then stood still wondering where to run. If he can correct this - he will be a much better back
2. Aaron Smith, my hats off to him; but he was getting easily shoved around and the Colts seemed to directly target him when they ran the ball.
3. Emmanual Sanders not touching the guy when he made the INT - WTF?
4. Wesley Saunders does not look like a former top TE prospect.
5. Ben needs to protect the ball better.
6. OL - no words needed.

StainlessStill
09-25-2011, 11:23 PM
And who is the f*cking wise guy putting Wesley Saunders as one of our hot-routes? (Arians.) It looks like Casey Hamtpon would beat him in the 40 yard dash. Completely stuck in the mud and looked like he was playing volley-ball out there.

Where Cotch? DAMMIT!:

And could we please take out the bubble screen/ WR stand up play? Worthless. :banging:

NoFieldFive
09-25-2011, 11:29 PM
when they watch films and see the bubble screen used 5 times a game for losses or 2 yard gains...what are they saying? gee let's try that one again next week a 1/2 dozen times.

what is Johnson doing in the backfield? does that guy know who to block? he seems lost out there.

FanSince72
09-25-2011, 11:34 PM
Post game thoughts:

Mendenhall is too tentative.
Redman and Moore seem to know where "North" is while Mendy seems to need a GPS.

The O-line is turning into "Revolving Door V2.0" and that will cause problems later if not addressed soon.

Ben holds the ball too long. He makes great plays, but also makes great mistakes sometimes.

Other than that, I'm not really worried.

We lost the opener to a bitter rival whom we've ALWAYS had problems with but that's the nature of rivalries and we'll get 'em next time.

As for Indy, they're playing at home, their leader and identity is sitting in the coaches booth and they're such heavy underdogs that they can play without a care in the world -- and they did. The Indy game had "trap" written all over it and I figured it would end up something like the way it did. I'm just glad we outlasted them.

Are there things that need fixing?

Yes.

But I don't think it's as bad as many seem to think and frankly, I'd be more concerned about Mendy as a starter than I would even be about our "player-of-the-minute" O-line.
Mendenhall has talent and ability but if he keeps waiting for an engraved invitation to start running downhill, if I were Tomlin, I bench him in favor of Redman or Moore.

He's supposed to be a "running" back, not a "waiting" back.

I suggest that instead of having him watch film of the upcoming opponent, he instead should watch film of Jerome Bettis. If Mendy could run HALF as good as Jerome, the opponent wouldn't matter.

ZoneBlitzer
09-25-2011, 11:34 PM
Positive things:

1. For the first time since, well, probably the game against the Bengals last season when he had that pick six, Troy looked like Troy again. All last playoffs and the first two games this year he was so quiet, but today he was finally all over the field again. I was getting worried he was never going to have that kind of impact again, but today showed he still had it.

2. Aside from the int, and the fumbles (which I attribute mostly to the Oline today), Ben, in my opinion, looked "great" again for the first time in a while as well. Today he seemed like he had "it" again; he had control over the offense and even when the run game was failing and the passing game was getting in a good "groove" for the first time this season.

3. Jonathan Scott looked hurt bad. As bad as it is for someone to be injured, this is probably the best thing that could have happened to our Oline.

4. Antonio Brown is becoming awesome in the return game.

Antonio Brown is my pick for the MVP of this team right now. The guy makes big plays and gives the pathetic offense the shot in the arm when it is needed.

ETL
09-25-2011, 11:36 PM
Pat myself on the Back Alert!

I predicted a score of 21 - 20 on a previous thread and I was only off by 2 pts: 23 -20.

ricardisimo
09-25-2011, 11:41 PM
I can't believe I'm the only one who saw that Harrison is back, and what that means for this team. This is a deal-breaker.

tony hipchest
09-25-2011, 11:44 PM
4. Wesley Saunders does not look like a former top TE prospect.
.good post, but did saunders even play college ball last year? im not sure, wasnt he suspended?

anyways, he is a rookie who had no off season workouts with the team or any qb on it.

plus, if you rewatch his drop, he was lucky enough to have time to just get his hands up and prevent the ball from hitting him in the face.

ben thought he was throwing to randle el coming out of that break. saunders made a hell of a play just sticking with the ball and finally making the reception (or better yet, preventing an interception).

good job by ben coming back to him later in the game.

tony hipchest
09-25-2011, 11:49 PM
I can't believe I'm the only one who saw that Harrison is back, and what that means for this team. This is a deal-breaker.

dont let the haters hear you say that. they will just remind you that it was against a shitty team with a shitty offensive line, and he didnt have 5 sacks, we didnt shut them out, so he obviously sucks, is old, and will be cut after this year in a cap saving measure.

atleast thats what ive heard.

DanRooney
09-25-2011, 11:57 PM
Things that haven't been mentioned:
-Keenan Lewis still looks confused out there. We shouldn't of cut Butler.
-William Gay meter at +2 now?
-Good things happen when Heath gets involved in the passing game
-Ben has been playing average to mediocre since game 1. Maybe getting married is his worst offseason distraction.
-Was it MeMo who ran tough at the end of the game or was it Foster's blocking and the absence of Scott.
-Farrior is watching from the sidelines an awful lot lately...I wonder what's going on behind the scenes.

steelers33
09-26-2011, 12:04 AM
My thoughts:

J Scott is bad but more importantly Freeney is that good.

O line in general is just really not that good. I don't know how we can pull it together for the rest of the season. Even Pouncey our so called great Pro Bowl center got pushed around by a rookie 3rd round draft pick.

Mendenhall just run forward please. Not to the side just forward.

As for the defense only positives were Troy and Harrison maybe Timmons. I still dont think big game James is a hundred percent either I think he's like 85-90% healthy. Smith really is a big liability, he was getting pushed backed consistently in the run game. Not good at all. Also, where the hell is Woodley? The 61M man who has not done jack squat. Complete non factor he was, and this is not a new thing. Step it up.

ricardisimo
09-26-2011, 12:04 AM
-William Gay meter at +2 now?
-Good things happen when Heath gets involved in the passing game
-Ben has been playing average to mediocre since game 1. Maybe getting married is his worst offseason distraction.
-Was it MeMo who ran tough at the end of the game or was it Foster's blocking and the absence of Scott.
-Farrior is watching from the sidelines an awful lot lately...I wonder what's going on behind the scenes.
I found it very odd that Moore got the call when Mendenhall was sputtering. What sort of BS is keeping Redman from getting the occasional carry? I mean, sure, he gets a few, but Moore has done little to justify the trust the coaches have in him, IMO.

ricardisimo
09-26-2011, 12:06 AM
My thoughts:

J Scott is bad but more importantly Freeney is that good.

O line in general is just really not that good. I don't know how we can pull it together for the rest of the season. Even Pouncey our so called great Pro Bowl center got pushed around by a rookie 3rd round draft pick.

Mendenhall just run forward please. Not to the side just forward.

As for the defense only positives were Troy and Harrison maybe Timmons. I still dont think big game James is a hundred percent either I think he's like 85-90% healthy. Smith really is a big liability, he was getting pushed backed consistently in the run game. Not good at all. Also, where the hell is Woodley? The 61M man who has not done jack squat. Complete non factor he was, and this is not a new thing. Step it up.
Actually, I saw Woodley make three or four tackles on Harrison's side of the field, which means he's playing hard and to the whistle.

ETL
09-26-2011, 12:09 AM
good post, but did saunders even play college ball last year? im not sure, wasnt he suspended?

anyways, he is a rookie who had no off season workouts with the team or any qb on it.

plus, if you rewatch his drop, he was lucky enough to have time to just get his hands up and prevent the ball from hitting him in the face.

ben thought he was throwing to randle el coming out of that break. saunders made a hell of a play just sticking with the ball and finally making the reception (or better yet, preventing an interception).

good job by ben coming back to him later in the game.

Like your optimism. I am willing to give Saunders more time to develop.

ETL
09-26-2011, 12:14 AM

Man, Rooney - you have such a love affair with ex-Steelers. First Gibson and now Butler.

Actually, i find your arguments weak and somewhat cowardly. Its sort of like how they say sarcasm is the weakest form of humor.

You whine constantly about how we should have kept these ex-players. No one can ever prove you wrong because they are not on the team anymore and can't commit mistakes. Even though you may not do it on purpose, I think you subconsciously pick positions that make it difficult for others to argue with you. Somewhat weak ...

stb_steeler
09-26-2011, 12:15 AM
Turn overs are still haunting Ben. I see thats not gettin any better. :doh:

DanRooney
09-26-2011, 12:19 AM
Man, Rooney - you have such a love affair with ex-Steelers. First Gibson and now Butler.

Actually, i find your arguments weak and somewhat cowardly. Its sort of like how they say sarcasm is the weakest form of humor.

You whine constantly about how we should have kept these ex-players. No one can ever prove you wrong because they are not on the team anymore and can't commit mistakes. Even though you may not do it on purpose, I think you subconsciously pick positions that make it difficult for others to argue with you. Somewhat weak ...

Thinking we should of kept two people means I love ex-Steelers?

What argument am I making? I'm not arguing anything. I'm stating an opinion about what I saw on the field today. It looks like you're mad because you want to argue but you can't. I'm not exactly sure why I want to argue with someone who thinks Gay is okay anyway :chuckle:

ricardisimo
09-26-2011, 02:24 AM
Thinking we should of kept two people means I love ex-Steelers?

What argument am I making? I'm not arguing anything. I'm stating an opinion about what I saw on the field today. It looks like you're mad because you want to argue but you can't. I'm not exactly sure why I want to argue with someone who thinks Gay is okay anyway :chuckle:
Gay is more than OK. Don't ask... Do tell!

ebsteelers
09-26-2011, 08:17 AM
i like how hard moore ran at the end of the game, either that or did the colts d tire?

Kanata-Steeler
10-02-2011, 03:06 PM

well, you were definitely right about us (Ben, O, and AIRiens) losing this game.
Our "D" of course was simply great again, but unfortunately our entire "O" is yet again -a ______________________ .
ya cool.

Sixburgher
10-02-2011, 03:27 PM
well, you were definitely right about us (Ben, O, and AIRiens) losing this game.
Our "D" of course was simply great again, but unfortunately our entire "O" is yet again -a ______________________ .
ya cool.

The defense was great again? Are you high? Arian Foster and the Texans offensive line ate their lunch. They'll be lucky if CJ doesn't go for 200 or more against them next week.

SteelCityMom
10-02-2011, 03:35 PM
ya cool.

Yeah...I honestly don't know how you claim the defense was "great". Over 150 yards rushing? Really?

And this in no way means I'm giving the offense a pass. They sucked too. But the defense was far from "great".

SteelCityMom
10-02-2011, 03:37 PM
Crap...I just realized I was posting in the week 3 post game thread.

The hell?