PDA

View Full Version : Relax, we won

jtbsteeler
09-26-2011, 12:28 AM
And they start the season with 3 out of 4 on the road. This is a 12 win team this season. Stop the bellyaching.

I do think Aaron Smith and Farrior are starting to show their age... No way they're on this D next season.

Troy's back. He was all over the place. Stop your whining. Ravens fans come on here and get laughs because of the over reaction. I think they will beat the Texans next week. We'll be 3-1 with home games against a Britt-less Titans team and then a rookie qb in Gabbert.

12 win season

OX1947
09-26-2011, 12:35 AM
Once again. Defense isnt the problem, the QB giving away the ball 3 times a game is. I do not know if some of you have noticed but that piece of shit dickwad who calls himself the NFL commissioner has destroyed football into his own Fantasy Football bullshit league. There are no longer good defenses in the league. However, there are 2 right now that are ok, thats the Ravens and Steelers. But, Ben needs to stop turning the ball over. Every time they turn it over, worse, the other team gets points.

StainlessStill
09-26-2011, 12:36 AM
A win is a win is a win, I'll give you that. But those wonderful "W's" that we're so use to will turn into "L's" soon enough if we can't get it together offensively. I quite never seen an offensive line this bad and we've had recent years to where they were B-A-D.

I see ZERO spots on the field that give us any kind of edge against Houston whatsoever. None. I'll take the W but that was sincerely pathetic. No running game, very ill pass protection. How the HELL are we going to survive playing like that?

Ben's lucky he's in one piece and the dude STILL delivers (it's pretty sad when he has to look out the corner of his eye while looking downfield at the pass rush.)

I thank Troy Polamalu's grandparents for giving us Troy Polamalu's parents so Troy Polamalu's parents could have Troy Polamalu. Love that animal.

That is all.

StainlessStill
09-26-2011, 12:38 AM
Once again. Defense isnt the problem, the QB giving away the ball 3 times a game is. I do not know if some of you have noticed but that piece of shit dickwad who calls himself the NFL commissioner has destroyed football with his Fantasy Football bullshit league. There are no longer good defenses in the league. However, there are 2 right now that are ok, thats the Ravens and Steelers. But, Ben needs to stop turning the ball over. Every time they turn it over, worse, the other team gets points.

Look more into it. Ben's the whole reason we are competitive on offense at this point. Finally, the suckitude that is oozing out of this offensive line is getting into Roethlisberger's head. It's so bad he's anticipating getting drilled. 2 of those fumbles I don't blame him. That interception was a desperation pass that sailed.

I'm grateful we have Ben in the middle of that wreckage. Unfortunately, I don't think he feels the same.

stb_steeler
09-26-2011, 12:42 AM
Sooner or later Bens not goin to make that great play......Thats why the Steelers cut Slash....Look at Vick today, finally all that scrambling is beginning to catch up with him.. If anything i am less relaxed about this season than most in the recent past.

DanRooney
09-26-2011, 12:45 AM
I really don't remember Farrior having a bad game...I just saw him out of the game a lot lol

Third Rail
09-26-2011, 12:47 AM
Look more into it. Ben's the whole reason we are competitive on offense at this point. Finally, the suckitude that is oozing out of this offensive line is getting into Roethlisberger's head. It's so bad he's anticipating getting drilled. 2 of those fumbles I don't blame him. That interception was a desperation pass that sailed.

I'm grateful we have Ben in the middle of that wreckage. Unfortunately, I don't think he feels the same.

Yep. Glad to see I'm not the only one here who sees this. It's easy to blame the QB for an INT or a lost fumble, and I'll agree that he deserves SOME of the blame, but when a defense is EASILY able to run around the O-Line constantly, it's a miracle he gets any throws off at all.

More evidence that our O-Line is awful can be seen in the running game. I've been very hard on Mendenhall but it's difficult to get yardage when you have no holes to run through. The O-Line can't open ANYTHING up and the lack of the run game, coupled with a passing game that's always under pressure, is KILLING our offense.

jtbsteeler
09-26-2011, 12:52 AM
We lost these games in '09 and '06. I could give a damn how we do it next week, but if we beat the Texans on the road I'd be happy as hell with that.

Ben threw one bad pick, the other two TO's were Scott's fault. Anyone miss Max Starks and Flozell?

Also, be thankful that the Jets lost. They'll be hungry next week. So will the Texans for that matter. I just don't think they match up well with us.

jtbsteeler
09-26-2011, 12:55 AM
I really don't remember Farrior having a bad game...I just saw him out of the game a lot lol

He whiffed like hell early. All of a sudden we're getting eaten up for 4/5 yards a carry by these "zone blocking" offenses. Wearing farrrior's ass out.

Picks 1 and 2 next year will be Oline and ILB

SoCalFan
09-26-2011, 01:48 AM
He whiffed like hell early. All of a sudden we're getting eaten up for 4/5 yards a carry by these "zone blocking" offenses. Wearing farrrior's ass out.

Picks 1 and 2 next year will be Oline and ILB

Picks 1 & 2 next year will not go near the O-line,who are you kidding!We didnt adress this issue this year early,now look at this mess!:banging:

jtbsteeler
09-26-2011, 03:48 AM
Picks 1 & 2 next year will not go near the O-line,who are you kidding!We didnt adress this issue this year early,now look at this mess!:banging:

?? Colon is a liability now. We have "NO" LT. The 1st pick will be an Olineman. IMHO. It wont be CB. We have alot invested in the guys that we have.

I think Gilbert is the RT of the future even if Colon comes back. Move his ass to guard and be done with it. Two problems solved.

ILB or Olineman(LT) in round 1

solardave
09-26-2011, 04:30 AM
A win is a win is a win, I'll give you that. But those wonderful "W's" that we're so use to will turn into "L's" soon enough if we can't get it together offensively. I quite never seen an offensive line this bad and we've had recent years to where they were B-A-D.

Because we can't run block we need a back that doesn't do the stupid spin move and dance all over the place. That back is Redman..

I see ZERO spots on the field that give us any kind of edge against Houston whatsoever. None. I'll take the W but that was sincerely pathetic. No running game, very ill pass protection. How the HELL are we going to survive playing like that?

Because we can't run block we need a back that doesn't do the stupid spin move and dance all over the place. That back is Redman..

Ben's lucky he's in one piece and the dude STILL delivers (it's pretty sad when he has to look out the corner of his eye while looking downfield at the pass rush.)

Against one of the better pass rushing teams we showed we couldn't hold the door open. I'll quote Sapp but in the sense that he got it backwards. Our O-line looks old and slow.
(except Pouncey)

I thank Troy Polamalu's grandparents for giving us Troy Polamalu's parents so Troy Polamalu's parents could have Troy Polamalu. Love that animal.

Troy is playing like his old healthy self!!

That is all.

I'll take the wins however they come but I sure wish we'd dominate these teams that come limping in!

TRH
09-26-2011, 06:24 AM
[QUOTE=OX1947;947328]Once again. Defense isnt the problem, the QB giving away the ball 3 times a game is. I do not know if some of you have noticed but that piece of shit dickwad who calls himself the NFL commissioner has destroyed football into his own Fantasy Football bullshit league. There are no longer good defenses in the league. However, there are 2 right now that are ok, thats the Ravens and Steelers. But, Ben needs to stop turning the ball over. Every time they turn it over, worse, the other team gets points.[/QU

Can't put it all on Ben when the OL is getting mowed down like high school kids and he's getting stripped from behind. Why were the D-linemen free back there?
The INT was a bad throw.

TRH
09-26-2011, 06:27 AM
relax its a win? lol
How can you be happy when we've beaten the hapless Seahawks and barely beat the Colts who finished the 4th w/their 3rd stringer? I don't know about 'relaxin'
We'll see what happens next week when we play a decent team. I think we all know whats likely to happen....so its hard to relax at this point. The criticism going around seems justified.

theplatypus
09-26-2011, 07:32 AM

Are you daft?

SteeleReign
09-26-2011, 07:42 AM
relax its a win? lol
How can you be happy when we've beaten the hapless Seahawks and barely beat the Colts who finished the 4th w/their 3rd stringer? I don't know about 'relaxin'
We'll see what happens next week when we play a decent team. I think we all know whats likely to happen....so its hard to relax at this point. The criticism going around seems justified.

Right. Let's not forget that had Painter hit a W I D E open Garcon, we may have lost to a 3rd-string QB. You could see it again last night - the lack of pressure on the QB allowed open receivers all over the field for Indy. Thankfully, the QBs couldn't hit them.

Now, if we show the same performance against Houston? Schaub & Owen Daniels will eat us for lunch.

theplatypus
09-26-2011, 07:51 AM
Right. Let's not forget that had Painter hit a W I D E open Garcon, we may have lost to a 3rd-string QB. You could see it again last night - the lack of pressure on the QB allowed open receivers all over the field for Indy. Thankfully, the QBs couldn't hit them.

Now, if we show the same performance against Houston? Schaub & Owen Daniels will eat us for lunch.

Holy shit! Ike guessed on a(one) play and got his ass chewed out for it. The colts were something like 18-40 with 3.5 yd average. We gave them 13 points, our defense was not the issue.

SteeleReign
09-26-2011, 08:06 AM
Holy shit! Ike guessed on a(one) play and got his ass chewed out for it. The colts were something like 18-40 with 3.5 yd average. We gave them 13 points, our defense was not the issue.

It WOULD have been the issue if Manning had played. Or any QB that we may face in the playoffs. Barely beating the likes of Curtis Painter/Kerry Collins isn't going to win us many Super Bowls. That is what we're playing for - right?

theplatypus
09-26-2011, 08:16 AM
It WOULD have been the issue if Manning had played. Or any QB that we may face in the playoffs. Barely beating the likes of Curtis Painter/Kerry Collins isn't going to win us many Super Bowls. That is what we're playing for - right?

Could you please tell me where you got the crystal ball?

cloppbeast
09-26-2011, 08:18 AM
And they start the season with 3 out of 4 on the road. This is a 12 win team this season. Stop the bellyaching.

I do think Aaron Smith and Farrior are starting to show their age... No way they're on this D next season.

Troy's back. He was all over the place. Stop your whining. Ravens fans come on here and get laughs because of the over reaction. I think they will beat the Texans next week. We'll be 3-1 with home games against a Britt-less Titans team and then a rookie qb in Gabbert.

12 win season

A team quarterbacked by a combination of a 38 year old along with a guy with no career starts gave us a game.......I'm concerned. Sorry.

Our offense is absolutely abysmal, and the defense isn't too much better. This offense could only score 16 points against a team the Texans scored 34 against, and the Browns scored 27 against. We also gave up more points than both Cleveland and Houston.

Those are just numbers, but I watched the team too. We have an OC who keeps running either 1) deep passes for Mike Wallace, 2) bubble screen passes, or 3) run off to the right with Mendenhall. Idea #1 works occasionally, but not consistently. Ideas #2 and #3 never work.

Combine that offensive strategy with a quarterback who can't go through progressions, who has shown a complete inability to get rid of the ball quickly, along with an injury-stricken offensive line who can't pass block - I see one of the worst offenses in the NFL.

Thank god for Troy Polamalu, that's for sure. He may have been enough to put us on top of one of the bottom-feeders of the NFL, but he won't be enough against quality competition.

Right now, despite an extremely easy schedule, I see this Steelers team missing the play-offs, struggling to stay above the Ohio teams in the division.

SteeleReign
09-26-2011, 08:23 AM
Could you please tell me where you got the crystal ball?

Seriously? Can you tell me where you got your blinders?

cloppbeast
09-26-2011, 08:26 AM

I'm more concerned with the offense, I'll give you that, but this defense has issues too.

I witnissed a Curtis Painter lead offense drive to tie the game in the 4th quarter. That's dis-heartening....

They did score 7 points for the offense, so give the defense credit for that at least.....

Overall, the offense will kill this Steelers team this year, and the defense won't be good enough to make up for it. Just like Super Bowl 45.

cloppbeast
09-26-2011, 08:34 AM
Can't put it all on Ben when the OL is getting mowed down like high school kids and he's getting stripped from behind. Why were the D-linemen free back there?

He was back there because Gilbert dominated his ass, at least on that one play. Perhaps Ben just anticipated Marcus getting whooped like usual, IDK, but Ben receives the blame for that fumble.

That play should have never even gotten to that point. Ben had ample time to pass. On top of that, he never needed to exit the pocket, he only needed to step up.

Though, the second fumble was all Freeney; not Ben's fault.

SteeleReign
09-26-2011, 08:37 AM
I'm more concerned with the offense, I'll give you that, but this defense has issues too.

I witnissed a Curtis Painter lead offense drive to tie the game in the 4th quarter. That's dis-heartening....

They did score 7 points for the offense, so give the defense credit for that at least.....

Overall, the offense will kill this Steelers team this year, and the defense won't be good enough to make up for it. Just like Super Bowl 45.

I agree that the offense is an issue. But, this defense was the #1 defesne in the league last year. We spent butt-loads of money to keep them together. We got Smith back from injury. We signed a DL in the first round. Yet, we are still getting no pass rush. Making bone-headed coverage mistakes. And having issues against the run.

The offense boils down to the o-line. Fix that & we are fine. Not that it's that simple. I also think it wouldn't hurt to draft a speed RB. Mendy has been dancing too much (no holes?) and I love Redman, but we need a threat to get on the edge and run to daylight....a la Fast Willie.

theplatypus
09-26-2011, 08:37 AM
Seriously? Can you tell me where you got your blinders?

It's not blinders, I'm not living in some fantasy world where if's carry any weight. But, if you really want too I'll play along with your would of, could of, should of game. If Peyton had been playing he might not have seen Troy dropping back into coverage which allowed for an easy pick 6 to put the game out of reach.

SteeleReign
09-26-2011, 08:39 AM
He was back there because Gilbert dominated his ass, at least on that one play. Perhaps Ben just anticipated Marcus getting whooped like usual, IDK, but Ben receives the blame for that fumble.

That play should have never even gotten to that point. Ben had ample time to pass. On top of that, he never needed to exit the pocket, he only needed to step up.

Though, the second fumble was all Freeney; not Ben's fault.

Yeah, Ben should have taken off or thrown it away at that point. However, Gilbert needs to stick with his block until the whistle blows.

SteeleReign
09-26-2011, 08:43 AM
It's not blinders, I'm not living in some fantasy world where if's carry any weight. But, if you really want too I'll play along with your would of, could of, should of game. If Peyton had been playing he might not have seen Troy dropping back into coverage which allowed for an easy pick 6 to put the game out of reach.

Sure ok. If you want to pretend that Manning in the game wouldn't have made a difference that's cool. Just do me a favor...next time you order a round, order me what you're drinking.

theplatypus
09-26-2011, 08:48 AM
Sure ok. If you want to pretend that Manning in the game wouldn't have made a difference that's cool. Just do me a favor...next time you order a round, order me what you're drinking.

Hello? Is there anyone in there? I'm not saying it might not make a difference, I'm saying we don't know what difference it would make. Contrary to your misguided belief we have to play the gamesto determine the outcome.

cloppbeast
09-26-2011, 08:49 AM
I agree that the offense is an issue. But, this defense was the #1 defesne in the league last year. We spent butt-loads of money to keep them together. We got Smith back from injury. We signed a DL in the first round. Yet, we are still getting no pass rush. Making bone-headed coverage mistakes. And having issues against the run.

I couldn't disagree more.

Not only did the defense only give up 7 honest points, they also scored 7 points for the offense.

This offense hase given the ball away 10 times in 2 games, putting a lot of pressure on the defense in to defend. In the lone game the offense didn't turn the ball over, the defense shut out its opponent.

The offense boils down to the o-line. Fix that & we are fine.

Hardly.

I won't deny fixing the line will help, but we need a lot more to be "fine."

Further, I'm not so sure there is a "fix" for this offensive line anyway.

This offense is too one demensional.....

[quote}Not that it's that simple. I also think it wouldn't hurt to draft a speed RB. Mendy has been dancing too much (no holes?) and I love Redman, but we need a threat to get on the edge and run to daylight....a la Fast Willie.[/QUOTE]

Mendenhall sucks. If he weren't a first round pick, he would never see the field. If Redman hadn't gone undrafted, he would get 20 carries a game. Simple as that.

cloppbeast
09-26-2011, 08:55 AM
Yeah, Ben should have taken off or thrown it away at that point. However, Gilbert needs to stick with his block until the whistle blows.

Especially when your quarterback rarely takes less than 6 seconds the throw.......yeah, blame that one on the lineman. lol.

He probably should've stuck to his block, but God Damn!, he handled one of the best ****ing DEs in the league. He's a rookie, how much more do you want from him?

I blame the 8 year $100 million franchize quarterback. He made a stupid decision. He should have known better. Ben needs to turn down the clock in his head when he has a rooking LT going up against a super star defensive end. If Ben isn't smart enough to figure that out on his own, his coaches need to tell him.

SteeleReign
09-26-2011, 09:03 AM
Especially when your quarterback rarely takes less than 6 seconds the throw.......yeah, blame that one on the lineman. lol.

He probably should've stuck to his block, but God Damn!, he handled one of the best ****ing DEs in the league. He's a rookie, how much more do you want from him?

I blame the 8 year $100 million franchize quarterback. He made a stupid decision. He should have known better. Ben needs to turn down the clock in his head when he has a rooking LT going up against a super star defensive end. If Ben isn't smart enough to figure that out on his own, his coaches need to tell him.

I'm not blaming anything on Gilbert. He should have finished his block, ESPECIALLY because he was facing a super-star DE! I agree Ben does stupid shi! at times, but he's also won us a fair amount of games with his play.

SteeleReign
09-26-2011, 09:08 AM
Hello? Is there anyone in there? I'm not saying it might not make a difference, I'm saying we don't know what difference it would make. Contrary to your misguided belief we have to play the gamesto determine the outcome.

Right. I can tell you with no uncertainty that Manning would have completed many of the missed throws from Collins/Painter. Now, you do the math.

jtbsteeler
09-26-2011, 09:09 AM
relax its a win? lol

I hear you and I'm usually hard on them, but next week will make the 3rd out of the first 4 games on the road. Win that and I'll feel damn good.

The Oline is a wreck and Colon going out has f'd up the options. I think next season will be the one where they throw wholesale numbers at the oline. Farrior and Smith will be gone on the D and that will make way for younger players.

This is a 12 win season if we can win next week.

jtbsteeler
09-26-2011, 09:16 AM

The offense boils down to the o-line. Fix that & we are fine. Not that it's that simple. I also think it wouldn't hurt to draft a speed RB. Mendy has been dancing too much (no holes?) and I love Redman, but we need a threat to get on the edge and run to daylight....a la Fast Willie.

Hate to say it, but there's your problem. Ziggy Hood had this run D at record levels late last season. I don't recognize this Aaron Smith. And Tomlin is as stubborn as Cowher was with some of the veterans on this team.

Farrior and Smith must sit. Thanks for the 3 bowls in 6 seasons...

SteeleReign
09-26-2011, 09:20 AM
Hate to say it, but there's your problem. Ziggy Hood had this run D at record levels late last season. I don't recognize this Aaron Smith. And Tomlin is as stubborn as Cowher was with some of the veterans on this team.

Farrior and Smith must sit. Thanks for the 3 bowls in 6 seasons...

I absolutely agree. Ziggy should be playing. Not sure about sitting Farrior - who would replace him?

SteelMusic
09-26-2011, 09:25 AM
The problem IS the offense. Like someone pointed out earlier, Ike guessed on that play and whiffed. He got his ass chewed out for it, but overall, our defense kept them in check and played well overall. The thing is, our offense should have had this game out of reach and our defense should have been working with obvious passing situations most of the game. Our offense keep putting our D in bad situations and beyond that, we should have had the game out of reach. Our offense did not put up points, and even worse, they turned the ball over and gave up points. I don't think fans should be 'relaxed' about getting this win. Look who we beat (so far) and look who we lost to and how bad we lost. Think about it.

cloppbeast
09-26-2011, 09:26 AM
I'm not blaming anything on Gilbert. He should have finished his block, ESPECIALLY because he was facing a super-star DE! I agree Ben does stupid shi! at times, but he's also won us a fair amount of games with his play.

Ben's historical record at winning games is exactly that: history; and hightly debatable I might add. Nevertheless, that's a seperate discussion.

In recent history, Ben has costed us more games than he's won us. He got lucky he's on Troy Polamalu's team last night, otherwise he'd have costed us another one.

cloppbeast
09-26-2011, 09:29 AM
The problem IS the offense. Like someone pointed out earlier, Ike guessed on that play and whiffed.

Probably Ike thought: "Our offense is awful. They probably won't score again, so I'll take a chance here......" It's a damn shame when your defense has to score to beat the worst team in the league.

theplatypus
09-26-2011, 09:29 AM
Right. I can tell you with no uncertainty that Manning would have completed many of the missed throws from Collins/Painter. Now, you do the math.

Okay, we'll play your game some more. In your fantasy world Manning isn't injured,and completes those passes. How do you know that the receivers don't fumble after the catch? Or on the ensuing play that the RB doesn't fumble? Or there's a bad snap? Or that Ben doesn't turn the ball over 3 freaking times?

jtbsteeler
09-26-2011, 09:30 AM
I absolutely agree. Ziggy should be playing. Not sure about sitting Farrior - who would replace him?

Does it matter? You see Farrior on the bench more this season for a reason. He's getting worn out trying to stay with tight ends and backs out of the back field. And he's getting blown away on run plays at an alarming rate. When you can say larry Foote is playing better than farrior, that speaks volumes.

Steelerfreak58
09-26-2011, 09:33 AM
Horrible.

Arians = Horrendously Horrible play calling again. Run to the right (get stuffed), PASS , PASS Punt seemed to be his game plan for most of the evening with no adjusting at any point.

ZoneBlitzer
09-26-2011, 10:20 AM
Once again. Defense isnt the problem, the QB giving away the ball 3 times a game is. I do not know if some of you have noticed but that piece of shit dickwad who calls himself the NFL commissioner has destroyed football into his own Fantasy Football bullshit league. There are no longer good defenses in the league. However, there are 2 right now that are ok, thats the Ravens and Steelers. But, Ben needs to stop turning the ball over. Every time they turn it over, worse, the other team gets points.

Yup. Ben is a turnover machine. This goes back to late last year and was especially evident in the SB. He's good for at least one INT per game now. You can count on that. Regardless, anyway you slice it, the turnovers have to stop. I'm not too enamored with the defense either but they are hanging in there. It's a bend don't break defense we're looking at. And I think the rest of the league is going that way. But you're right in pointing out that the problems on this team start with the offense. The offense is not playing up to their potential and they are killing this team with turnovers.

effyou515
09-26-2011, 10:31 AM
yes the Steelers have weaknesses but if they can get a win l'm happy. Steelers seem to always start slow and by now l'm used to the ugly wins :coffee:

:toast: here to a lot of ugly wins this season.

steelfury02
09-26-2011, 10:49 AM
If we can get the offense to score 3 touchdowns and a few field goals every game W/OUT turning the ball over we can win every game against anyone.

Just don't turn the dang ball over. Just don't turn the dang ball over. Just don't do it. DON'T DO IT. Freakin Mendenhall almost lost the football again last night to. WTF?

LVSteelersfan
09-26-2011, 11:28 AM

Did you all really watch the game? ZIGGY WAS PLAYING. He was over in Keisel's spot who was on the sidelines in street clothes. Heyward should have been in there getting some reps. Looks like they ran at Smith most of the time so Ziggy should have been on his side with Heyward on the other side to see if he could hold up. Get him playing time NOW. I have been a die hard Smith supporter in the past, but it is time for him to be a backup player. Farrior is really the only option now but spelling him with Foote is just plain stupid. Get Sylvester in there. He might make some mistakes but his speed could make up for some of the slow footed crap that Larry Foote puts out there.

FanSince72
09-26-2011, 11:55 AM

I agree.

And let's not forget that when Ben throws picks it's not because he's unable to to understand a play or unable to to place a pass where it needs to be. His picks come from trying to make something out of nothing and I think that's a better problem to have than, say, a QB who just doesn't have the arm or the skills.

SteeleReign
09-26-2011, 12:36 PM
Okay, we'll play your game some more. In your fantasy world Manning isn't injured,and completes those passes. How do you know that the receivers don't fumble after the catch? Or on the ensuing play that the RB doesn't fumble? Or there's a bad snap? Or that Ben doesn't turn the ball over 3 freaking times?

What exactly are we arguing about? I think our offense sucks - yes. I believe that is your point. So we agree. I also think our defense has sucked & disappoints me more. I will say it again - I expected our offense to struggle. I expected our defense to dominate. They haven't come close.

SteeleReign
09-26-2011, 12:39 PM
Did you all really watch the game? ZIGGY WAS PLAYING. He was over in Keisel's spot who was on the sidelines in street clothes. Heyward should have been in there getting some reps. Looks like they ran at Smith most of the time so Ziggy should have been on his side with Heyward on the other side to see if he could hold up. Get him playing time NOW. I have been a die hard Smith supporter in the past, but it is time for him to be a backup player. Farrior is really the only option now but spelling him with Foote is just plain stupid. Get Sylvester in there. He might make some mistakes but his speed could make up for some of the slow footed crap that Larry Foote puts out there.

I know he was playing. The question is what happens when Keisel comes back? I agree with Foote/Sylvester. I'd like to see a little more from him. But the argument always is "LeBeau's defense is complicated & we need the veterans in there because they know the defense." Well, it's one thing to know it & quite another to do it. That's the age factor.

cloppbeast
09-26-2011, 12:49 PM
If we can get the offense to score 3 touchdowns and a few field goals every game W/OUT turning the ball over we can win every game against anyone.

If they could just win every game they could win against anybody. lol

What have you seen from this team to suggest they could score 3 TDs without turning the ball against anybody outside of the pacific northwest?

davidtrout
09-26-2011, 12:56 PM
I agree.

And let's not forget that when Ben throws picks it's not because he's unable to to understand a play or unable to to place a pass where it needs to be. His picks come from trying to make something out of nothing and I think that's a better problem to have than, say, a QB who just doesn't have the arm or the skills.

This is exactly right. At this point, we're as much of a one man offense as the Colts. I know the receivers are good but that would be useless without Ben. There is no quick fix but it sure is a waste of a great QB. The image of Scott standing still while Freeney ran right past him will stick in my brain for a very long time. :puke:

theplatypus
09-26-2011, 12:58 PM
If they could just win every game they could win against anybody. lol

What have you seen from this team to suggest they could score 3 TDs without turning the ball against anybody outside of the pacific northwest?

I want too play the ifs and buts game some more.

If we go no huddle and throw deep on every down we're all but guaranteed to score at least 3 touchdowns a game. Of course that leaves our defense on the field for right around 50 minutes of every game. But, that doesn't really matter either because our defense sucks and is going to get torched by every qb out there.

SteeleReign
09-26-2011, 01:03 PM
I want too play the ifs and buts game some more.

If we go no huddle and throw deep on every down we're all but guaranteed to score at least 3 touchdowns a game. Of course that leaves our defense on the field for right around 50 minutes of every game. But, that doesn't really matter either because our defense sucks and is going to get torched by every qb out there.

Nope. Not every QB - just the good one's...you know, the kind that made our defense look silly in the Super Bowl. Of course, I guess that was on the offense too?

theplatypus
09-26-2011, 01:12 PM
Nope. Not every QB - just the good one's...you know, the kind that made our defense look silly in the Super Bowl. Of course, I guess that was on the offense too?

21 points off 3 turnovers and a missed field goal

Why am I not surprised that you would overlook that? You've already made it abundantly clear that in your world turnovers by the offense have no bearing on the games outcome.

SteeleReign
09-26-2011, 01:42 PM
21 points off 3 turnovers and a missed field goal

Why am I not surprised that you would overlook that? You've already made it abundantly clear that in your world turnovers by the offense have no bearing on the games outcome.

Not what I'm saying. The Steelers on offense have been essentially the same for about 3 years. Big Ben running for his life, making some key plays & a handful of boneheaded mistakes. But, that's what we have. We've known it for 3 years & not much was done to change it in the offseason. Why would you expect any different?

On the other hand, we spents MILLIONS of dollars to keep our defense intact. That defense has played very poorly this year so far. They are not what we expected from them. Timmons? Absent. Woodley? Absent. Farrior? Absent. Foote? Absent. Aaron Smith? Absent. Keisel? Absent. Ziggy? Absent. Worilds? Who knows? Gay? Mostly absent. McFadden? Absent. Polamalu & Ike are the only players that have been consistent for the last two games. Harrison came on a bit against Seattle & played well yesterday.

The Steelers can't beat teams with good o-line's and QBs if we play like we did yesterday.

tanda10506
09-26-2011, 05:00 PM

Right, Rodgers and Brady beat us passing, almost every other QB doesn't.

As to Ben being the one still delivering in the end and winning the game even though he's running around, that can't keep happening. He has some great receivers and a great TE, this line is so bad though that Ben is going to go downhill unless they do something about it. As mentioned, he already has to look at the edges of the line instead of down field, that will turn into many interceptions throughout the season. Also always getting blindsided and fumbling will frustrate him and make him lose his confidence. He will always be good on the run, that's just him, but he will not keep playing as well as he did last season and as well as he did last night (with the exception of the interception) if he's in constant panic. More mistakes will be made and the season could potentially get out of hand. Not having a running game doesn't help either, although I think Mendenhall is stuttering too much in the backfield, he did well at the end of last year and has shown he can be a good RB, I think the majority of the poor running game is on the O line too. This might be the only team that no matter how many good players they have, the O line is so bad that they end up losing because of it. Ultimately throughout the course of a season, if Ben has to deal with this nonsense every game, it will not even be physically possible for him to continue to perform, it won't happen. Gilbert looked good, we need to keep Legursky out and sign Flozell.

Ricco Suavez
09-26-2011, 05:16 PM
Well some people have it figured out, just pull Ben from the game and our problem is solved. Just put Rogers or Brady or Brees back there and our offensive woes are over. Oh my bad, we dont have those QBs. We have who we have, if you think his history of carrying this team at times is over then just hide and watch, this season is just getting started. Some of you guys I believe secretly root for a bad start so you can bash a player or Coach.:banging:

BengalDestroyer
09-26-2011, 05:23 PM
I truly do have faith in this team... I am a little worried however. The O line is embarrassing. The defense acts like they forgot what football is, and Ben is scoring points for the other team (not entirely his fault - I understand) Suisham is not the answer at kicker. There are signs that point to panic, but it's football and we just can't do that... Let's go Tomlin get these guys mentally prepared...

SteeleReign
09-26-2011, 06:18 PM
Well some people have it figured out, just pull Ben from the game and our problem is solved. Just put Rogers or Brady or Brees back there and our offensive woes are over. Oh my bad, we dont have those QBs. We have who we have, if you think his history of carrying this team at times is over then just hide and watch, this season is just getting started. Some of you guys I believe secretly root for a bad start so you can bash a player or Coach.:banging:

I get a little weary of all the Big Ben-bashers too. Sure, he does some stupid shi!. But given state of our o-line during most of his tenure, most other QBs would be dead by now.

On the other hand, maybe that's why our FO has been so complacent about drafting O-line. They know Ben has the knack for avoiding the rush & making plays. I'd just love to see what he could do with the time that Brady has to throw.

steelfury02
09-27-2011, 08:44 AM
All I'm saying is that we don't need to put up "30 and 40 burgers" as the Mooch would say. The offense just needs to be good and the lack of emphasis on turnovers is hilarious to me. Yes - EVERYONE on the offense is responsible for that.

Take that however you want. I'm also not buying the entire defense has aged over night. We have enough pieces in place to hold the fort and it is speculative, but we MIGHT have won #7 if we didn't turn it over. BUT - I do realize it i splitting hairs because Ben's arm was hit on the pick 6 and Matthews just flat out exploded on Mendy.

We still had a shot at the end despite our poor showing - so that is why I'm just saying a few touchdowns and a great showing by our defense will keep us right in it.

I, like many, will feel pretty good if we go in to Houston and win, no matter how ugly. Just want the W and Ben to stay healthy. Trust me, I'm not believin' no fool's gold. Wins were against Seahawks and Manningless Indy. But - they are on our schedule and how can anyone downplay a desperate pair of edge rushers?

I'm an eternal optimist so you can't convince me the sky is falling - yet. Time will tell.

Here's to hoping the o-line has a chance to improve:drink: