PDA

View Full Version : Actually Bruce Arians didnt call that bad of a game

tony hipchest
09-26-2011, 01:58 AM
...now he didnt call a great game by any stretch of the imagination, but by the same token, it wasnt completely horrible.

we already know he isnt gonna gameplan vs a specific teams strenghts or weaknesses (he has admitted as much).

and we also know he isnt gonna outscheme or outsmart the opponents coaching staff (he has proven as much).

but for the most part, he didnt completely suck and the offense executed just enough of the plays he called to eek out a win.

the deep ball to wallace that resulted in the teams only offensive touchdown was absolutely brilliant. i am more than pleased the players were capable of using their arm and blazing speed to pull it off.

they proved that when properly executed we can score on any and every possession.

then again, the sheer brilliance of BA's playbook is that every play is designed to score a touchdown, assuming the players arent too stupid to execute it.

this probably explains why we struggle so bad in the red zone and and 3rd down situation not longer than 15 yards.

maybe one day the league will explore lengthening the endzone by 40 yards to showcase BA's brilliance.

but again, it was a well rounded win, and BA did nothing to cost us the game.

his offense scored 6 points.

lebeaus defense scored 6 points

and the special teams tacked on their 3 field goals and 2 extra points.

all in all, i guess i can grade him with a "C".

it was a typical, average showing which turned out to be par for the course.

mass kudos for him actually chosing to give mendenhall the ball 18 rushing attempts. although he didnt do squat, that in itself probably eliminated 1-2 turnovers and a loss. :applaudit:

:hatsoff:

davidtrout
09-26-2011, 02:22 AM
it was a typical, average showing which turned out to be par for the course.

You realize that typical, average, and "par for the course" are three things that all mean the same thing, right?:flap:

tony hipchest
09-26-2011, 02:33 AM
You realize that typical, average, and "par for the course" are three things that all mean the same thing, right?:flap:

indeed. but it sounds so much better than-

it was a sucky, suck showing which turned out to suck.

:chuckle:

effyou515
09-26-2011, 03:01 AM
indeed. but it sounds so much better than-

it was a sucky, suck showing which turned out to suck.

:chuckle:

:rofl:

theplatypus
09-26-2011, 05:13 AM
You know damn well those turnovers were Arians' fault.

steelfury02
09-26-2011, 08:41 AM
"Dooon't Bring Me Dooooooooooooooooooooown, BRUUUUCE!"

cubanstogie
09-26-2011, 10:33 AM
The Steelers defied the saying "football is won in the trenches" last night. Colts dominated line of scrimmage on both sides and they still lost. Thankfully we have Ben. Sure he held the ball too long a play or 2 and the haters focus on that but he was running for his life last night without a running game and came through big time. There DE's created big play s and kept them in the game. IMO it was all about the line. BA had no hand to play. Only option was to throw and when Ben had time he delivered, unfortunately he had to buy his own time and was chased around all night with a swivel on his head. I will say BA did nothing to neutralize there speedy DE's but not sure we had anyone who could block those guys. I would give him a C or C minus.

LVSteelersfan
09-26-2011, 10:42 AM
Wrong, wrong wrong. He called a horrid game. My buddy and I were screaming at him to quit running the ball up the gut on first down EVERY TIME. It was absolutely pathetic. Mendy needs to get out on the edges. He is not a straight up the gut kind of player. Granted our Oline SUCKS, but where the heck are the short passing routes that every team in the league uses, the screens and mixing it up a little bit? 1 or 2 yards on first down, a missed pass on second down and third and long almost every single time. I can't believe how many times it was third and eight. Sorry, but that is absolutely stupid coaching.

tanda10506
09-26-2011, 10:45 AM
Well he's somewhat replaced the bubble screen with those quick passes out to Wallace, so that makes it better, the bubble screen is absolutely worthless and we usually throw it to our slowest receiver who also happens to be our best blocker. Still to many bubble screens last night, to much 5 wide, and nobody playing FB on any of the run plays. Every run I saw except one was out of a single back formation. Going 5 wide is no longer an option with our LT, it's not Arians fault Scott is so bad, but he has to realize it and not leave Ben back there by himself. In my opinion the play calling was normal for this team, nothing exceptionally bad, but most teams would be disgraced by it.

Rockonsteel
09-26-2011, 10:47 AM
Yeah, he didn't call that good a game either. Still a bunch of slip screens to an old, slow receiver and middle screens to a slow tight end. Still a bunch of long, slow developing running plays, predictably on 1st and 2nd down. I'm not blaming him solely, but he didn't help matters as usual. His imminent firing is still my fondest wish.

Rockon

Daysnways
09-26-2011, 11:08 AM
I'll give him a C- 3 other letters.

steelcity1974
09-26-2011, 11:31 AM
It was horrible play calling.

FanSince72
09-26-2011, 11:50 AM
In all fairness, if we had a running back who actually knew how to run the play calling would have looked a lot better.

Steelerfreak58
09-26-2011, 11:59 AM
Running to the right all game with very little adjusting at half time. Not good play calling in my book.

SunshineMan21
09-26-2011, 12:22 PM
No adjustment, poor play selection, too many slow-developing plays.

It's like Arians has never woken up to how terrible our O-line is. Oh, and Mike Wallace got seven targets--you think maybe throwing him the occasional slant might be more productive than running it up the gut for no gain the fiftieth time?

NoFieldFive
09-26-2011, 01:12 PM
at least he did not call an reverse end around when we had the ball at our own 15. that's some progress.

those short passes for zero or 2 yard gains are awful. I can see if the DBs are playing back then maybe throw them but when the guy is right on you and your receivers are bunched together it's worthless.

Rockonsteel
09-26-2011, 01:24 PM
No adjustment, poor play selection, too many slow-developing plays.

It's like Arians has never woken up to how terrible our O-line is. Oh, and Mike Wallace got seven targets--you think maybe throwing him the occasional slant might be more productive than running it up the gut for no gain the fiftieth time?

Slant? What the hell is that? Please elaborate...

Rockon

cloppbeast
09-26-2011, 01:35 PM
In all fairness, if we had a running back who actually knew how to run the play calling would have looked a lot better.

We do have one who can run; he just never sees the field.

Fire Arians
09-26-2011, 01:36 PM
redman didnt do much better than mendenhall. i don't know any RB other than the legendary barry sanders who could run without any help from the offensive line

steelerjim58
09-26-2011, 01:38 PM
I was particularly impressed with all of those 1 yard gains up the gut on first down. I thought it was hilarious when Dungy [ who I respect] said the Steelers still had to establish the run. The Steelers running game really hasnt been much to talk about for a few years. I know that so many critcise Mendenhall for dancing around to much, but bottom line there usually is not anywhere for him to go. Where has the old fashioned pitch out disappeared to? Are defenses considered to fast now days for it to be effective? Ben over the years has proven to be good rolling out, why dont we see some of that? I know that there is much about the intricasies of football I may not know, but even with this offensive line, I think a good o/c would find ways to make it work with all of the talent available.

Steeldude
09-26-2011, 01:47 PM
arians didn't seem to have a game plan for mathis and freeney. he probably didn't even give them a second thought. i don't think arians game plans against any team. i still remember when arians admitted he has never practiced to go against a 3-4 defense...lol. that bubble screen has got to go. why wait so long for redman to come in? why is it when the steelers are running well they pass and when they are running poorly they keep forcing it?

stb_steeler
09-26-2011, 03:22 PM
Wrong, wrong wrong. He called a horrid game. My buddy and I were screaming at him to quit running the ball up the gut on first down EVERY TIME. It was absolutely pathetic. Mendy needs to get out on the edges. He is not a straight up the gut kind of player. Granted our Oline SUCKS, but where the heck are the short passing routes that every team in the league uses, the screens and mixing it up a little bit? 1 or 2 yards on first down, a missed pass on second down and third and long almost every single time. I can't believe how many times it was third and eight. Sorry, but that is absolutely stupid coaching.

Other teams call the Steelers predictable, well Arians anyhow!

Fire Arians
09-26-2011, 03:27 PM
arians didn't seem to have a game plan for mathis and freeney. he probably didn't even give them a second thought. i don't think arians game plans against any team. i still remember when arians admitted he has never practiced to go against a 3-4 defense...lol. that bubble screen has got to go. why wait so long for redman to come in? why is it when the steelers are running well they pass and when they are running poorly they keep forcing it?

bubble screen could work, but the flaw with it is that they're not using their best blocking wr as a blocker, and they're using the slowest WR who's easiest to stop in the open field (ward).

now if they threw that same play with ward as the blocker and antonio brown with the ball, who is dangerous in the open field, we could see better results.

but hey, what can we expect? we have Bruce "let's see how we can minimize the use of our talent" Arians as the OC

BKAnthem
09-26-2011, 03:32 PM
let's not forget everyone dude was fired as OC of the Clevland Browns......the BROWNS

davidtrout
09-26-2011, 03:42 PM
let's not forget everyone dude was fired as OC of the Clevland Browns......the BROWNS

I can think of a 3 time SB winning HC that was also fired by the Cleveland Browns. Not about to defend Arians, but where he coached before means less than nothing.

BKAnthem
09-26-2011, 03:47 PM
I can think of a 3 time SB winning HC that was also fired by the Cleveland Browns. Not about to defend Arians, but where he coached before means less than nothing.

he stunk with that offense too.....now he has way more talent and they win in spite of him, so his track record means something

ricardisimo
09-26-2011, 03:50 PM
I'm returning to my original assessment, which is that he seems to do a decent enough job most weeks of getting his boys ready, but that he has zero business calling plays on gameday. I'd much rather see Tomlin, Ben, or maybe even Fichtner calling plays.

ricardisimo
09-26-2011, 03:52 PM
Belichick resigned after the team moved to Baltimore, one of his few classy moves in his entire life, I think. He wasn't fired.

stiller39
09-26-2011, 03:54 PM
He was banging his head against the wall and wouldn't stop. Almost like he enjoyed it. Running Mendy for small or no gains again and again. Redman ran one time up the middle for 3 which is more than Mendy averaged all nite. Why no Redman when Mendy was stonewalled all nite long except for one play.

davidtrout
09-26-2011, 04:01 PM
Belichick resigned after the team moved to Baltimore, one of his few classy moves in his entire life, I think. He wasn't fired.

Okay. My point being that coaches always come from somewhere else and where that happened to be has no effect on the job they are currently doing. Many coaches have passed through Cleveland, and Cincy, and Detriot, and ARZ, and pick one.

ricardisimo
09-26-2011, 06:18 PM
Okay. My point being that coaches always come from somewhere else and where that happened to be has no effect on the job they are currently doing. Many coaches have passed through Cleveland, and Cincy, and Detriot, and ARZ, and pick one.
Well, but the point you're not getting is that he was a good coach in Cleveland. No titles, but they were competitive, and that's why he wasn't fired.

Fire Arians
09-26-2011, 06:41 PM
yeah the browns were actually a good team in the 80's-90's. that ravens team that won the super bowl was basically the browns too

davidtrout
09-26-2011, 07:16 PM
Well, but the point you're not getting is that he was a good coach in Cleveland. No titles, but they were competitive, and that's why he wasn't fired.

Um, I'm pretty sure I did get your point. (Why are we using italics?) Thus the "okay". Nowhere did I dispute what you said. I was responding to another poster who seemed to imply that coaching in Cleveland or more specifically being fired from Cleveland makes someone a bad football coach. I don't believe that to be true so I offered my thought on the subject.

Didn't mean to offend you or Bill Belichick in the process.:noidea:

ricardisimo
09-26-2011, 07:21 PM
Um, I'm pretty sure I did get your point. (Why are we using italics?) Thus the "okay". Nowhere did I dispute what you said. I was responding to another poster who seemed to imply that coaching in Cleveland or more specifically being fired from Cleveland makes someone a bad football coach. I don't believe that to be true so I offered my thought on the subject.

Didn't mean to offend you or Bill Belichick in the process.:noidea:
Don't you dare ever speak ill of Bill Belichick in my presence again!!!! :mad:

Whatever, dude. You issued a clarification like I wasn't getting your point, which is that coaches come from everywhere, including Cleveland. I did get your point, but walking away from a good Browns team is different from getting fired from a bad Browns team, which is (I believe) the point the other poster was making.

BKAnthem
09-26-2011, 07:52 PM
Don't you dare ever speak ill of Bill Belichick in my presence again!!!! :mad:

Whatever, dude. You issued a clarification like I wasn't getting your point, which is that coaches come from everywhere, including Cleveland. I did get your point, but walking away from a good Browns team is different from getting fired from a bad Browns team, which is (I believe) the point the other poster was making.

exactly

davidtrout
09-26-2011, 08:27 PM
Fair enough. I think a lot of good coaches get fired from bad teams, not just in football, but in all sports. Jim Leyland once said, "I'm a genius when I have good players and a moron when I don't". That's all I was getting at. Again not defending Arians in any way.

Phillykeith
09-26-2011, 09:04 PM
Why did they stop throwing to Wallace after the 1st quarter? It was an obvious mismatch that should have been exploited all game. Should have had 15 balls thrown his way!

tanda10506
09-26-2011, 09:40 PM
Why did they stop throwing to Wallace after the 1st quarter? It was an obvious mismatch that should have been exploited all game. Should have had 15 balls thrown his way!

Because Ben was on the ground the last 3 quarters. :chuckle: We started having the problems when the Colts realized all we were going to/could do was pass. Between the rush on Ben and them knowing we were passing, Ben didn't get much of a chance to look around, let alone down field.

MACH1
09-27-2011, 12:18 AM
Should have tried moving the pocket(if there ever was one) or run Ben out on a bootleg maybe buy an extra 1/2 second. :noidea:

tony hipchest
09-27-2011, 12:25 AM
Should have tried moving the pocket(if there ever was one) or run Ben out on a bootleg maybe buy an extra 1/2 second. :noidea:a designed bootleg?

hell, teams have been expecting arians to do that for the past 5 years (being that it actually plays to bens strength).

it would never work.

he is actually faking them out by NOT running bootlegs.

and the repeated failed bubble screens? it keeps them guessing everytime he runs it. :huh:

one of these days, all 5 years of setting that play up, will pay big dividends and finally result in a touchdown.

then you all will be sorry you ever critisized it! :muhaha:

MACH1
09-27-2011, 12:32 AM
Yeah, stupid me questioning the brilliance that is bruce arians. :doh:

Atlanta Dan
09-27-2011, 07:29 AM
This excerpt from an article in the Post-Gazette today on the woes of the running game indicates someone was not thrilled with the play calling Sunday night:noidea:

One source on the team said the run calls against the Colts looked nothing like the ones they practiced the week leading up to the game.

If there is no improvemnt in Texas I look for more anonymous sniping to the media about the offensive woes

Bouchette's article also confirmed my recollection Redman was not used until late in the game

The Steelers did not use Isaac Redman to spot Mendenhall against the Colts as they did in their previous two games. He had his most significant playing time on the final drive, when the Steelers moved 60 yards for the winning 38-yard field goal.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11270/1177831-66-0.stm

My bet is we see significantly more time for Redman in Houston

vasteeler
09-27-2011, 10:49 AM
This excerpt from an article in the Post-Gazette today on the woes of the running game indicates someone was not thrilled with the play calling Sunday night:noidea:

One source on the team said the run calls against the Colts looked nothing like the ones they practiced the week leading up to the game.

If there is no improvemnt in Texas I look for more anonymous sniping to the media about the offensive woes

Bouchette's article also confirmed my recollection Redman was not used until late in the game

The Steelers did not use Isaac Redman to spot Mendenhall against the Colts as they did in their previous two games. He had his most significant playing time on the final drive, when the Steelers moved 60 yards for the winning 38-yard field goal.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11270/1177831-66-0.stm

My bet is we see significantly more time for Redman in Houston

knowing this team, i am so tempted to take that bet:chuckle:

Whodis
09-27-2011, 07:18 PM
Stockholm syndrome

Stockholm syndrome is a term used to describe a real paradoxical psychological phenomenon wherein hostages express empathy and have positive feelings towards their captors, sometimes to the point of defending them

tony hipchest
09-27-2011, 07:39 PM
Stockholm syndrome

Stockholm syndrome is a term used to describe a real paradoxical psychological phenomenon wherein hostages express empathy and have positive feelings towards their captors, sometimes to the point of defending them

:applaudit: absolutely brilliant post of the year award! :sofunny:

#1LambertFan
09-27-2011, 07:54 PM

You see thats where I disagree strongly with just about everyone. A great run is 10+ yards. 90% of Mendenhall's great runs come between the tackles. Most of his losses come when the play is designed for him to hit the 7 or 8.

Mendenhall would be spoken in the same breath with AP as long as he consistently got (ONE!) second level block. Mendy will do the rest as he has proven. Open space in the middle of the field is hands down where he does his best work.

And if I hear any more bullshit about trading him Im going to flip! He is the reason Ben is alive! He is the reason Redman consistently does a good job running, and believe it or not he makes the offensive line look much better than it is!