PDA

View Full Version : Mendy?

Rotorhead
09-26-2011, 11:11 PM
Ok, i know there r alot of mendy fans here, but i am losing my faith in him. Yeah our OL bites, but when MeMo out rushes you you have issues. I honestly believe Mendy could be a good back if we had a decent FB, but we dont and wont. I feel we should save the cap space next season and trade Mendy. Redman has proven himself to me so far, he always goes forward, even with our OL. MeMo showed why we keep him arou d last night. While it would be nice to have that HR fast back, having a Redman getting 3-5 per carry still works for us and will keep defenses honest. I am confused why we didnt use redman more last night after Mendy avg'd 1yd/carry in the first half.

19ward86
09-26-2011, 11:18 PM
cut him...Duce Staley needs a job

Rotorhead
09-26-2011, 11:24 PM
I didnt say cut him, but unless we get a FB, which we wont with BA he doesnt fit, he is a different type of runner than will work for us right now, IMHO

Rotorhead
09-26-2011, 11:24 PM
Hell trade him for a half decent LT

ggoldman
09-26-2011, 11:54 PM
Mendy is just too jumpy with all the different o-line configurations not opening holes quickly for him.

PhantomJB93
09-27-2011, 12:02 AM
I think he has some sort of mental issue with his game bugging him, because he's shown in the past that he can be great and he has all the physical tools to be a top ten, even top 5 back in this league. Just somewhere around like halfway through last season he became too "jumpy," he used to run hard all the time and now it's like he dances around too much.

If he can learn to stop it, he'd be way better than Redman or Moore and worth resigning, but currently he is not.

tony hipchest
09-27-2011, 12:39 AM
I think he has some sort of mental issue with his game bugging him, because he's shown in the past that he can be great and he has all the physical tools to be a top ten, even top 5 back in this league. Just somewhere around like halfway through last season he became too "jumpy," he used to run hard all the time and now it's like he dances around too much.

If he can learn to stop it, he'd be way better than Redman or Moore and worth resigning, but currently he is not.

he was having a great game in the superbowl until clay matthews made one of the greatest individual effort, impact plays in SB history (and was kinda under-utilized up until that point) and the steelers abandoned the run with him altogether.

teh steelers will likely struggle just to keep mike wallace, let alone be able to pay mendenhall as a top 10 workhorse back (which easilly costs $5 mil/year for a player of his calibur in fair market value).

if anyone is planning on buying a mendenhall jersey, i would say "dont".

DanRooney
09-27-2011, 01:17 AM
The Steelers will keep Wallace. Mendenhall is doing his best to get out of Pittsburgh.

Steelersfan87
09-27-2011, 01:43 AM
The offensive line just has to block better and he'll be fine. Do you also think that Chris Johnson all of a sudden sucks too now?

Rick5895
09-27-2011, 05:10 AM
The offensive line just has to block better and he'll be fine. Do you also think that Chris Johnson all of a sudden sucks too now?

True the OL needs to block better, however, Mendy is dancing and juking way too much. He is NOT reading the blocks and he is missing opportunities for small gains and getting dropped in the backfield. The holes arent huge but sometimes a RB has to ower his shoulder and make a little something out of nothing and Mendy right now appears unable to do that. Let Redman play vs Houston, and see if if brings anything different to the table. My guess is those no gain and 2 and 3 yard losses by mendy end as Redman runs hard and gets at least a couple of yards when no hole is there.

As for Johnson, he has missed all of camp with a holdout, typically RB's start slow when that happens, hopefully he will still struggle when we play them in a couple of weeks.

TRH
09-27-2011, 05:31 AM
The fact of the matter is, though Mendenhall has been pushed as "one of the league's premier backs".....he's not. He's not the quality of some of the leagues top backs. He's an average-to-good back, but not in the upper excellent class.
Also, i don't think i've ever seen one runner get STUFFED as much as he does either.

3rdandlong
09-27-2011, 06:27 AM
Yeah, I can't stand Mendenhall. He doesn't have much power. He dances at the line all the time. I also put blame on Arians and Tomlin because they should have coached that out of him. Redman is the better back. He should get the start vs Houston

finesward
09-27-2011, 07:09 AM
The fact of the matter is, though Mendenhall has been pushed as "one of the league's premier backs".....he's not. He's not the quality of some of the leagues top backs. He's an average-to-good back, but not in the upper excellent class.
Also, i don't think i've ever seen one runner get STUFFED as much as he does either.

Willie parker comes to mind. Heard he's in great shape though.....:sofunny:

cloppbeast
09-27-2011, 07:47 AM
I don't know Mendy wouldn't have already been cut if Tomlin didn't take him in the first round.

ebsteelers
09-27-2011, 07:50 AM
Hell trade him for a half decent LT

was gonna suggestion this too...

moore seemed to run good on the last drive...
if we traded mendy i wouldnt be against it...

redman, moore, batch (next year)
dwyer?

pick up a guy in the draft

ebsteelers
09-27-2011, 07:51 AM
basically what could we trade mendy for?

or does he have no value

cloppbeast
09-27-2011, 07:54 AM
basically what could we trade mendy for?

or does he have no value

maybe a quarterback :chuckle:

FanSince72
09-27-2011, 09:38 AM
I think Mendenhall is actually a pretty smart guy.
His off-season comments demonstrate an analytical mind which may serve him well in a debate, but it's an absolute killer for a running back.

The short answer is: He thinks too much.

A running back has maybe three or four tenths of a second to decide where he's going to hit the line but Mendy seems to need far more than that and by the time he's thought the whole thing through, there are five guys chasing him across the backfield and at that point he's lucky if he can just get back to the line of scrimmage.

Back in high school, they always told us that on a multiple choice test, your first answer is usually the right one.
Running with a football is a multiple choice test and he needs to go with his first answer instead of analyzing the question.

A "beautiful mind" may be an asset on an intellectual level, but for a running back it just spells trouble.

My advice to him would be: "Stop thinking and just run".

wera176
09-27-2011, 11:47 AM
Comparing Moore's couple runs at the end of the game to what Mendy wasn't able to do is not apples to oranges: When Arians was pounding Mendy into the wall of Colts it was in situations where the Colts were keying on the run more times than not. When Moore had a couple ok runs, the Colts were in a different alignment and were expecting more passing. Blaming Mendy for his performance is only half the story: when he did have and hit a hole there ALWAYS (with the exception of 1 run) someone there to meet him (Angerer a couple times). Often he got swarmed under...

I think the reason he dances so much is that not only the hole aren't there, he has no confidence in the O-Line that they will be there. In the schemes the Steelers use, they do a lot of "timing" plays where the block occur right before the back is supposed to be there: they have to have time to develop. With our patchwork OL, that isn't happening. Mendy just has no confidence they will happen and he feels he has to "wait" to see if something develops... Like FanFrom 72 stated, he's thinking about it now instead of trusting it will be there...

IMO, not many backs not named Bettis or Campbell could consistently do crap with the schemes Arians runs behind that OL. And now I hear that we didn't use the run schemes they prepared for, perhaps due to injuries...

kirklandrules
09-27-2011, 11:52 AM
he was having a great game in the superbowl until clay matthews made one of the greatest individual effort, impact plays in SB history (and was kinda under-utilized up until that point) and the steelers abandoned the run with him altogether.

An individual effort far overshadowed by James Harrison's 100 yard interception return in a prior SB. Sorry, had to go homer on ya. :wink02:

SoCalFan
09-27-2011, 11:55 AM
I didnt even read the entire post.SILLY! Mendy would be leading the league IF WE HAD A DECENT O-LINE!!!

cloppbeast
09-27-2011, 12:03 PM
I didnt even read the entire post.SILLY! Mendy would be leading the league IF WE HAD A DECENT O-LINE!!!
Barry Sanders would have led the NFL IF HE HAD A DECENT O-LINE!!!

Oh wait......he did have a terrible o-line......and he did lead the league several times.......

If a RB needs a great o-line to average more than 4.0 YPC, that RB isn't very good. 4.0 YPC isn't asking much.

Mendenhall sucks. I don't care how bad his o-line is, a first round RB should never average what Mendenhall averages. It's pathetic, actually.

Fire Haley
09-27-2011, 12:23 PM
I wish we would have traded for Tim Hightower, but we didn't ...so

Bench Mendy and start Redman.

M. Moore didn't have any trouble running behind that shit line in the 4th qtr.

Fire Arians
09-27-2011, 12:51 PM
I wish we would have traded for Tim Hightower, but we didn't ...so

Bench Mendy and start Redman.

M. Moore didn't have any trouble running behind that shit line in the 4th qtr.

could also be because legursky was sidelined and foster was back in the game. foster is a much better run blocker than legursky

Fire Haley
09-27-2011, 01:15 PM
Kemo Pouncey Foster might be the best group we've had in the middle

but Mendy is not a 'run it up the gut' kind of back - - he gets his yards bouncing everything to the outside

tanda10506
09-27-2011, 01:36 PM
I dont see how anybody can say Mendy sucks, he hasnt been impressive these first 3 games, but he played well last year and has had some great games and great runs. He has shown he can be a great back. The line is horrible and they get pushed back on a lot of run plays, thats why he is dancing in the backfield. I agree that given the condition of the line Mendy has to lower the shoulder and just get what he can, and I agree Redman is a better back at that, but Mendenhall is a playmaker and we cant just abandon that. I think we need to mix it up, Redman has proven himself IMO, but I dont think we should just overlook the big run capability and previous great games that Mendy has/had already.

cloppbeast
09-27-2011, 01:38 PM
I dont see how anybody can say Mendy sucks, he hasnt been impressive these first 3 games, but he played well last year and has had some great games and great runs. He has shown he can be a great back. The line is horrible and they get pushed back on a lot of run plays, thats why he is dancing in the backfield. I agree that given the condition of the line Mendy has to lower the shoulder and just get what he can, and I agree Redman is a better back at that, but Mendenhall is a playmaker and we cant just abandon that. I think we need to mix it up, Redman has proven himself IMO, but I dont think we should just overlook the big run capability and previous great games that Mendy has/had already.

So it's the offensive line's fault......big surprise there.......

What about the national debt, should we blame that on offensive line' as well? lol

Last year Mendenhall wasn't as good as it seemed, either. He averaged less than 4 yards per carry. He racked up the yards, but when's the last time a RB got 300+ carries and didn't get a G?

cubanstogie
09-27-2011, 01:39 PM
I think Mendenhall is actually a pretty smart guy.
His off-season comments demonstrate an analytical mind which may serve him well in a debate, but it's an absolute killer for a running back.

The short answer is: He thinks too much.

A running back has maybe three or four tenths of a second to decide where he's going to hit the line but Mendy seems to need far more than that and by the time he's thought the whole thing through, there are five guys chasing him across the backfield and at that point he's lucky if he can just get back to the line of scrimmage.

Back in high school, they always told us that on a multiple choice test, your first answer is usually the right one.
Running with a football is a multiple choice test and he needs to go with his first answer instead of analyzing the question.

A "beautiful mind" may be an asset on an intellectual level, but for a running back it just spells trouble.

My advice to him would be: "Stop thinking and just run".

wow, Mendy smart after his comments. I think his comments came without any thinking what so ever and were obtuse. So if he ran that way (on instinct instead of thinking) he should be fine. Anyone giving Bin Laden compassion is a effing retard.

ricardisimo
09-27-2011, 01:43 PM
The Steelers will keep Wallace. Mendenhall is doing his best to get out of Pittsburgh.
Wallace is not coming back. People need to disabuse themselves from that illusion. That doesn't mean Mendenhall is a lock to come back either, though. The recent spending spree could spell trouble for us in lots of ways.

That said, I like Rashard. I think he has all the talent in the world, I also think he would thrive in a more "traditional" offense (i.e., one not operated by Bruce Arians). Despite that - and our god-awful line - he is just a few months removed from a 1300 yd/13 TD season, which is not bad. Physically, he's a near perfect blend of speed and power. Nothing should be holding him back.

He needs to stop the dancing. Pure and simple. I refuse to believe that Dick Hoak would have tolerated this for one second, let alone three games. The coaches need to straighten him out. Another well-timed benching from Tomlin could do wonders for him in the long run.

cubanstogie
09-27-2011, 01:44 PM
So it's the offensive line's fault......big surprise there.......

What about the national debt, should we blame that on offensive line' as well? lol

Did you watch the game. Worst O line performance in the last decade, except maybe a game or two against the Ravens. The game is won and lost in trenches, you choose to blame Ben and Mendy which is crazy. No holes, no protection and we still won thanks to the elite Ben.

ricardisimo
09-27-2011, 01:46 PM
wow, Mendy smart after his comments. I think his comments came without any thinking what so ever and were obtuse. So if he ran that way (on instinct instead of thinking) he should be fine. Anyone giving Bin Laden compassion is a effing retard.
You disagree with his stance on American muscle-flexing (a reflection of the "Cuban" part of you, perhaps) and so he's not smart? For the record, compassion is never "retarded"? Being able to control one's rage and feelings in general so as to be able to ask questions of the powers that be is indeed a mark of intelligence.

cloppbeast
09-27-2011, 01:46 PM
He needs to stop the dancing. Pure and simple. I refuse to believe that Dick Hoak would have tolerated this for one second, let alone three games. The coaches need to straighten him out. Another well-timed benching from Tomlin could do wonders for him in the long run.

I buy this.

I still hold he doesn't have very good vision, though.

FanSince72
09-27-2011, 01:52 PM
You disagree with his stance on American muscle-flexing (a reflection of the "Cuban" part of you, perhaps) and so he's not smart? For the record, compassion is never "retarded"? Being able to control one's rage and feelings in general so as to be able to ask questions of the powers that be is indeed a mark of intelligence.

Thank you.

And well said!

MasterOfPuppets
09-27-2011, 02:08 PM
in todays pass happy NFL RB's are all but obsolete , and its fullish to use a high draft pick on one or pay them a huge salary.
the picks and money are better spent on the oline which makes or breaks a RB.
i questioned the mendenhall pick on draft day , not because of his college resume , but because of the steelers commitment to putting good blockers in front of him. so far its been to little too late by the steelers.

SteelKid212
09-27-2011, 02:53 PM

Oh wait......he did have a terrible o-line......and he did lead the league several times.......

If a RB needs a great o-line to average more than 4.0 YPC, that RB isn't very good. 4.0 YPC isn't asking much.

Mendenhall sucks. I don't care how bad his o-line is, a first round RB should never average what Mendenhall averages. It's pathetic, actually.

dude barry sanders did not need an oline!. HELL, he could have had NO OLINE at all and still led the league in rushing! the dude had mooves on top of moves. he was a true freak of nature.

RASHARD MENDENHALL IS NOT BARRY SANDERS!

so to agree with you..

YES!!! RASHARD NEEDS A GOOD OLINE!
and
YES!!! RASHARD SUCKS!

cubanstogie
09-27-2011, 04:43 PM

compassion for a guy who has killed thousands of innocent people seems a little misguided to me. IMO its a little crazy, same as having compassion for a guy on death row who has killed people. Anyway if the guy wants to label Mendy an analytical thinker for that so be it, I still stand by my original opinion that its obtuse. Thats the beauty of this country we can each have an opinion. The only part of me that has anything to do with Cuba is the fact that I enjoy their cigars, my opinion is based on the fact that I believe in accountability and Osama was finally held accountable, therefore I celebrated his death.

ricardisimo
09-27-2011, 04:55 PM
compassion for a guy who has killed thousands of innocent people seems a little misguided to me. IMO its a little crazy, same as having compassion for a guy on death row who has killed people. Anyway if the guy wants to label Mendy an analytical thinker for that so be it, I still stand by my original opinion that its obtuse. Thats the beauty of this country we can each have an opinion. The only part of me that has anything to do with Cuba is the fact that I enjoy their cigars, my opinion is based on the fact that I believe in accountability and Osama was finally held accountable, therefore I celebrated his death.
Firstly, thanks to a group of SEALs we'll never know what crimes bin Laden did or did not commit, since now he cannot be put on trial.

Secondly, Barak Obama has killed many more people than bin Laden ever could have. As did Bush before him. As did Clinton, as did Bush Sr., and Reagan before him. Maybe Carter killed less, kinda doubt it, though. Yet I suspect most people in this country feel like it's possible to have some sort of compassion for the violent sociopaths we regularly elect to our top office.

Thirdly, equating extra-judicial assassinations with accountability is a dangerous and irresponsible line of reasoning. Surely you understand that. Also, simply taking the government's word on matters of consequence is not a terribly bright policy. I suspect that many, if not all of the main accusations against bin Laden were true, but why not prove it to the world? That, in part at least, was Mendy's point, and a sound point it was.

cubanstogie
09-27-2011, 05:32 PM
Firstly, thanks to a group of SEALs we'll never know what crimes bin Laden did or did not commit, since now he cannot be put on trial.

Secondly, Barak Obama has killed many more people than bin Laden ever could have. As did Bush before him. As did Clinton, as did Bush Sr., and Reagan before him. Maybe Carter killed less, kinda doubt it, though. Yet I suspect most people in this country feel like it's possible to have some sort of compassion for the violent sociopaths we regularly elect to our top office.

Thirdly, equating extra-judicial assassinations with accountability is a dangerous and irresponsible line of reasoning. Surely you understand that. Also, simply taking the government's word on matters of consequence is not a terribly bright policy. I suspect that many, if not all of the main accusations against bin Laden were true, but why not prove it to the world? That, in part at least, was Mendy's point, and a sound point it was.

Politicians tell us what we want to hear and how much we hear so taking their word is not my policy. I am skeptical and cynical when it comes to politicians especially a certain side but I will keep that to myself. I believe its apples to oranges comparing OBL to past presidents though. Terrorism and war are different to me. I am pretty sure we will not agree on much when it comes to government and the way we feel about the country, but I still don't get how Mendy not understanding how people celebrate OBL's death just because we didn't know the man. We all saw him on tape admitting to killings, hating America and planning additional bombings so celebrating is death shouldn't be hard to understand. Nor should it be hard to understand how a 747 could bring down a skyscraper when we saw it with our own eyes. I just don't see how it was analytical thinking on his part. With that said, he is paid to run the football and I think he is above average with huge potential. Along with thousands dead from OBL 343 were brother firefighters so I don't analyze it, to me its loyalty and whats in my heart.

ricardisimo
09-27-2011, 06:56 PM
Politicians tell us what we want to hear and how much we hear so taking their word is not my policy. I am skeptical and cynical when it comes to politicians especially a certain side but I will keep that to myself. I believe its apples to oranges comparing OBL to past presidents though. Terrorism and war are different to me. I am pretty sure we will not agree on much when it comes to government and the way we feel about the country, but I still don't get how Mendy not understanding how people celebrate OBL's death just because we didn't know the man. We all saw him on tape admitting to killings, hating America and planning additional bombings so celebrating is death shouldn't be hard to understand. Nor should it be hard to understand how a 747 could bring down a skyscraper when we saw it with our own eyes. I just don't see how it was analytical thinking on his part. With that said, he is paid to run the football and I think he is above average with huge potential. Along with thousands dead from OBL 343 were brother firefighters so I don't analyze it, to me its loyalty and whats in my heart.
He doesn't get paid to speak his mind. Neither do I, nor you, but so what? 9/11 was a profound tragedy and a crime against humanity no matter how you look at it. Nothing that Mendenhall said negated or diminished that, so I'm not sure how people could have misconstrued that aspect of it.

Regarding the conspiracy theories, yeah, well... you don't need to talk to me about that. But the flip side to it is that instinctively doubting the government's story is a positive, not a negative. Everyone should immediately ask themselves "How do I know this is true?" whenever the president says anything at all, including "The sky is up."

And yes, he's talented. We should be discussing why he's not setting the world on fire. I have my theories.

pete74
09-27-2011, 06:58 PM
i have been ripped on many many times on this board for saying i thought Mendy was just an average back

Rotorhead
09-27-2011, 07:30 PM
Well you should have read the entire post SoCalFan, I said he is a good back, but with our scheme he doesnt work as well as Redman. If we are to keep BA, my thoughts are trade him while he is worth something since, while he is good, he wont work in BA's no FB scheme. Or, as i would prefer, get a real OC in here so he can have a blocking FB in there. As much as everyone loved Bettis, he had a top blocking back in front of him! BA wont get a real FB so maybe if we spend his salary on a decent olineman at least Redman will have bigger holes to grind it out.

Steeldude
09-27-2011, 07:34 PM
trade mendenhall to move up in the draft to grab a blue chip T or G :coffee:

#1LambertFan
09-27-2011, 08:07 PM
How about we do what we did the latter part of last year and line Redman up as a fullback and give him 25- 40% of the carries. I know its wishful thinking because Bruce Arians has a cream dream for the passing game and thinks an average receiver is ALWAYS a better playmaker than a good runningback. One of these days he it will dawn on him that the "game is won in trenches" cliches are founded on some sort of truth... But until then we will only run the ball when necessary. :banging:

Im going to admit something now that not many people know. I became a Steelers fan because the offense was brutal and effective. Not only could they beat you up on defense, they could knock you on your ass in the offense. Dan Kreider was the driving force in this attack. Now that Whisenhunt has proven himself an average head coach can we take him back at OC? Im sure he misses being in contention for one of those shiny rings! :tt02:

Steelersfan87
09-28-2011, 12:32 AM
Although I love Redman, I have very serious doubts about his ability to be a full-time, every down back, especially with his endurance issues.

steelfury02
09-28-2011, 07:21 AM
I'll give Mendy a pass on the tweet. Regardless of intentions, before a player tweets something - he needs to ask the question: "Is what I'm sending out there open to misinterpretation? Is this going to open me open to criticism by anyone?" If the answer is yes - just don't do it. You aren't getting paid to preach morality.

I can't sit here and say and believe Mendy feels like Bin Laden wasn't responsible at all or that it didn't affect people's lives or the country - people haven't paid the ultimate sacrifice because of the event, etc. etc., The guy doesn't deserve to die bla,bla,bla. My interpretation is that maybe he thought - "Let's be the better people and not celebrate death like some other groups do - no matter who it is." Dumb comment? Yes - because it was open to misinterpretation.

That said, my feelings are that Mendy will go the way of Parker (although I would argue Parker didn't have AS bad a line and some plays were designed for him to get him around the side or in open space - much what Mendy needs IMHO.

I agree with those that said it seems that he is thinking way too much instead of just hitting it and at least falling forward - he is at least 1/3 to blame for getting stuffed 2 to 3 yards behind the line. The other 33% is protection, the other 33% is play calling. I think the line and Mendy will bounce back and progress as the season goes on. If we win against Houston and the protection, running game struggles again - just imagine where we can go if they improve . . .

Glass is half full for this season :thumbsup: (Although - I don't see us being able to keep Mendy and Wallace. Phew - if Wallace keeps pace we are gonna have to pay the man at least top 5 ((maybe top 3 or top top money - especially if he makes a mark in winning another SB))

fer522
09-28-2011, 05:58 PM
i think i have the solution to this problem
hear me out guys .........

FIRE Arians and hire a real OC

wera176
09-28-2011, 06:06 PM

General question not aimed necessarily at you: Who do you believe was the best back in Steeler's recent history? If you say Bettis, which I would not argue with, you better check his career ypc. Hint: it was less than 4. (although it was close to 4 ;) ) He had a waaaay better OL then Mendy or Parker. I will grant you that if you needed 2 or 3 he'd always get it (which is why I loved him), but he very rarely was good for more than 5-7 and almost never had a big run (he had a few, no question).

FanSince72
09-28-2011, 07:07 PM
General question not aimed necessarily at you: Who do you believe was the best back in Steeler's recent history? If you say Bettis, which I would not argue with, you better check his career ypc. Hint: it was less than 4. (although it was close to 4 ;) ) He had a waaaay better OL then Mendy or Parker. I will grant you that if you needed 2 or 3 he'd always get it (which is why I loved him), but he very rarely was good for more than 5-7 and almost never had a big run (he had a few, no question).

Well your last line says it all.

Those 2 or 3 yards were what Bettis was known for and he could get you 5 if you needed 5.

I never get worked up over "career" numbers because there are countless players with great stats who were not "Playa's" when they needed to be.
On the other hand, there were many great players who never had much in the way of stats, but they got it done when it needed to be done... Bradshaw comes to mind as an example.

Bettis was his own blocker sometimes and he often made his own gaps and holes even if it meant running over (or through) his own players (something neither Mendy nor Parker could ever do on any regular basis).
All in all, if Bettis was in his prime right now, I'd rather have him than any other back we've ever had regardless of the O-line.

Fire Arians
09-28-2011, 07:09 PM

The best idea so far

don't even wait for his contract to expire, just tell him to gtfo and do our organization a favor lol

FanSince72
09-28-2011, 07:16 PM

Hmmm...

I think I've heard this mentioned before...

I can't quite remember where though.

I'll have to think about that.

ricardisimo
09-28-2011, 07:35 PM

Those 2 or 3 yards were what Bettis was known for and he could get you 5 if you needed 5.

I never get worked up over "career" numbers because there are countless players with great stats who were not "Playa's" when they needed to be.
On the other hand, there were many great players who never had much in the way of stats, but they got it done when it needed to be done... Bradshaw comes to mind as an example.

Bettis was his own blocker sometimes and he often made his own gaps and holes even if it meant running over (or through) his own players (something neither Mendy nor Parker could ever do on any regular basis).
All in all, if Bettis was in his prime right now, I'd rather have him than any other back we've ever had regardless of the O-line.

Bettis was not his own blocker, unless Bettis was Tim Lester. In fact, the Bus blew a few tires, as I recall, the year Lester was not resigned.

Fire Arians
09-28-2011, 07:38 PM
Bettis was not his own blocker, unless Bettis was Tim Lester. In fact, the Bus blew a few tires, as I recall, the year Lester was not resigned.

This is true. most good running backs owe a lot of credit to their fullbacks.

Riddle_Of_Steel
09-28-2011, 10:55 PM

Willie Parker.

Sixburgher
09-28-2011, 11:13 PM

Great idea. Think the offense is a clusterf#ck now? Try installing a brand new system in less than a week's time.

DanRooney
09-29-2011, 12:44 AM
Willie Parker.

Absolutely.

BGSU A Dub
09-29-2011, 01:25 AM
I'm not giving up on Mendy yet. Sometimes backs get better as the season goes on. I'd rather have a back that has a slow start and strong finish than a strong start and falls apart half way through the season.

Less Twitter, more football :chuckle:

fer522
09-29-2011, 02:22 PM
Great idea. Think the offense is a clusterf#ck now? Try installing a brand new system in less than a week's time.

i really don't thnk we would do much worst:noidea:

BGSU A Dub
09-29-2011, 02:32 PM
It's only week 3 and we have a winning record. I'm not too worried about it yet.

I'll start calling for changes when we are a couple of games below .500 or 3 games behind the division leader.

wera176
09-29-2011, 06:20 PM

I agree, and that was my point. People want to toss Mendy for his 3.9 ypc average (this year) but love Bettis who actually had a worse career ypc than Mendy does at this point (in his short career). The Rams got rid of Bettis, the rest is history! :tt02:

The other thing Bettis' number don't show it many (most?) of his carries were in the second half were when the Steelers were ahead and everyone in the stadium knew Bettis was getting the ball, and he still got 2-3 yards... BUT Bettis always had a better OL than Mendy and had some very good FBs during his career...

#1LambertFan
09-29-2011, 07:26 PM

Arians seems to draw up plays that are incredibly effective, although he calls them at all the wrong times.