PDA

View Full Version : Momentum swing of the game!

Whodis
09-27-2011, 07:26 PM
I don't have exact times (so hang with me). Second Quarter, first down, screen pass, make it 2nd and 10. Second down, screen pass, loss of 1, make it 3rd and 11. Third and long, sack-fumble touchdown!

I thought we were moving pretty good in the middle of the field. What is the obsession with the screen / bubble pass. Makes me F^CK1N mental. If someone can give me an example where it works (other then vs our defense) I'll stop.

There's a reason why he has to retire. Because no other organization is dumb enough to give this idiot a contract.

finesward
09-28-2011, 12:19 AM
Usually you run. Screen to counter the pass rush. Problem is they are too fast on d and could sniff.them out with the quickness. Sorry typing on phone

steelfury02
09-28-2011, 07:27 AM
I dunno - but I'm hoping if we progress on o-line and then running game - we can sell the play action more often - way more effective IMHO. But - no one will respect our running game to buy it.

While we are on the subject of play calling - does anyone know why we don't bootleg it more? I would think Ben would be good at rolling out and throwing on the run. I guess it is the same realm as play action. Man - at the very least - get Brown/Wallace/Mendy/Moore on the bubble screen - anyone but Miller and Ward!

grward
09-28-2011, 10:27 AM
I hear ya on this very subject. I was SCREAMING at the TV when they ran those back-to-back screen plays.

However, I think the real issue here is the DESIGN/EXECUTION of the screens. When other teams run a screen I noticed one of two things ... the defender is playing 10 - 15 yards off the receiver. OR the screen is designed to have a blocker for the receiver. We don't do either of these ... instead we have a defender right on the line of scrimmage, no one to block him (nor any time to block him).

Ball is snapped, Ben throws, receiver catches and is immediately tackled. DUH! WTF do they think will happen in this scenario? Someone needs to explain it to me!

wera176
09-28-2011, 11:33 AM
I hear ya on this very subject. I was SCREAMING at the TV when they ran those back-to-back screen plays.

However, I think the real issue here is the DESIGN/EXECUTION of the screens. When other teams run a screen I noticed one of two things ... the defender is playing 10 - 15 yards off the receiver. OR the screen is designed to have a blocker for the receiver. We don't do either of these ... instead we have a defender right on the line of scrimmage, no one to block him (nor any time to block him).

Ball is snapped, Ben throws, receiver catches and is immediately tackled. DUH! WTF do they think will happen in this scenario? Someone needs to explain it to me!

Yep to the entire thing. Like someone else posted on here (can't recall who) we run these bubble screens to our slowest WR who also happens to be our BEST blocking WR, something wrong with that picture... I have no problem with getting Ward the ball, he has and will save our bacon, but on a SCREEN? Toss it to Brown, who is very dangerous with the ball in his hands, and have WARD block for him...

Steelerfreak58
09-28-2011, 11:46 AM
Bruce Arians...

Steelerfreak58
09-28-2011, 11:46 AM
Yep to the entire thing. Like someone else posted on here (can't recall who) we run these bubble screens to our slowest WR who also happens to be our BEST blocking WR, something wrong with that picture... I have no problem with getting Ward the ball, he has and will save our bacon, but on a SCREEN? Toss it to Brown, who is very dangerous with the ball in his hands, and have WARD block for him...

That would make sense and BA doesn't do that very often.

kirklandrules
09-28-2011, 03:30 PM
Maybe Bruce is setting up a pump-fake screen pass and a deep bomb to Wallace when the CB comes up on the pump fake... he's saving that one for the 2015 Super Bowl. Until then, have fun with these little screen passes.

O.k. being a little more serious now, BA is using that screen pass in lieu of a run (which they couldn't do anyways). It just doesn't work well against a defense with CBs that tackle well. Worked a little better against the Seahaws.

DanRooney
09-28-2011, 03:41 PM
You have to implement the screen pass because that's one of the few times Hines is able to get the ball lol

stb_steeler
09-28-2011, 09:05 PM

Steelers are getting to predictable....Teams are bound to figure it out.....