PDA

View Full Version : Timmons & Woodley - Big Money/Few Big Plays

Atlanta Dan
09-28-2011, 08:59 AM
Good column in the Trib-Review

It's time for the Steelers to face their shortcomings head-on, from the rancid running game to the backward blocking game to allowing some clipboard-holder named Curtis Painter to march the Colts 80 yards for a late tying touchdown.

Start with the defense, if only because it's the most realistic to repair quickly.

From there, start by fixing whatever ails LaMarr Woodley and Lawrence Timmons, two young men who were rising-star linebackers in the NFL, oh, just a few months ago.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/columnists/s_759056.html

Woodley always starts slow - to me Timmoins has been a bigger disappointment since i thought this was the year he made the leap to All-Pro status

adamsteve14
09-28-2011, 09:26 AM
My impression of their situation is this: Woodley has been negatively affected by the drop off in A. Smith's play. Smith isn't eating blocks like he used to and Woodley is catching more double teams than in previous years. Timmons has been staying at home a lot more due to Polamalu's freelancing now that he is healthy again. I also feel like Timmons has to cover up a lot for Farrior in coverage as well.

steelfury02
09-28-2011, 09:27 AM
I fully expect 1 of them will get to Schaub - he doesn't have a lot of experience against this defense.

That said - like the article stated, we haven't really had that many blitzes called so we'll see.

StainlessStill
09-28-2011, 01:00 PM
3 f*ckin games. Relax. Wait until we gel, put on the snow tires and knock some bitches around here in Nov/December. I have faith in this linebacking core, ESP Timmons. We need him to blow up the middle of the line with his blazing speed with dialed up blitzes. IMHO, Timmons needs to get after the QB more.

tanda10506
09-28-2011, 01:09 PM
I agree with Woodley being affected by Smith's poor performance. Woodley uses his power more than his moves as opposed to Harrison who has much better moves. Its harder for a power guy to get through a double team, regardless though, he needs to find a way to do more. We need to blitz him and Harrison more. Timmons is really dissapointing, seems like he has burnt a lot already. Neither of these guys are remotely old and they are now the face and future of the defense, hope these guys step up.

cloppbeast
09-28-2011, 01:24 PM
They got what they wanted.

cloppbeast
09-28-2011, 01:25 PM
Woodley uses his power more than his moves as opposed to Harrison who has much better moves.

What does picking up chicks have to do with playing olb? I could care less about Woodley's "moves". :chuckle:

BKAnthem
09-28-2011, 01:27 PM
iN 3-4 Defenses...if the DL don't hold the line the lb.'s suffer for it...I remember when the ravens DL when through the same thing and R.Lewis turned into waldo doing an invisible man impersonation....so unless things stabilize up front which means Tomlin and mitchell have to stop being Stubborn and line up Heyward and Hood Next to Snack.....Heyward isn't going to get better watching from the sidelines, you can't imagine what it feels like to get chop blocked you have to experience it...... Play the kids..this is why they were drafted #1 right?

adamsteve14
09-28-2011, 01:30 PM
iN 3-4 Defenses...if the DL don't hold the line the lb.'s suffer for it...I remember when the ravens DL when through the same thing and R.Lewis turned into waldo doing an invisible man impersonation....so unless things stabilize up front which means Tomlin and mitchell have to stop being Stubborn and line up Heyward and Hood Next to Snack.....Heyward isn't going to get better watching from the sidelines, you can't imagine what it feels like to get chop blocked you have to experience it...... Play the kids..this is why they were drafted #1 right?

I agree to an extent. I think a rotation of Hood/Heyward/Keisel would be best. Keisel still has a place in this defense. Smith, not so much.

Steelersfan87
09-28-2011, 01:51 PM
It's too early to pass a final verdict on Aaron Smith. It's only 3 games, and before that he hadn't played since October.

steelfury02
09-28-2011, 02:05 PM
It is a little dated, but I figured with what many see happening to Smith after a few games this season - I thought this might provide some insight as to why they might have kept the guy around

I've certainly dished out some criticism against the guy's recent injuries and play - but he seems to be a quality, everyman's man:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqj8AZvexfI

DanRooney
09-28-2011, 02:56 PM
I don't think Woodley's play has anything to do with Smith getting bullied on the field. Just rewatch any of the games. He's usually 1-on-1 with a RT or a TE and he can't beat his man. He just sits there titty-jousting after a failed attempt at bullrushing (as Still Mill calls it).

steeltheone
09-28-2011, 04:00 PM
It's too early to pass a final verdict on Aaron Smith. It's only 3 games, and before that he hadn't played since October.

The guy is 36 yrs old with 10 plus years of bodily beatings and injuries....It's a crime we didnt cut him because of his salary alone...Add to it we have two number one picks on the roster ready to take his place.

This team has way to many holes to pay a 36 year old has been that type of money.

steeltheone
09-28-2011, 04:03 PM
It is a little dated, but I figured with what many see happening to Smith after a few games this season - I thought this might provide some insight as to why they might have kept the guy around

I've certainly dished out some criticism against the guy's recent injuries and play - but he seems to be a quality, everyman's man:

We cannot live in the past....Hell i miss many old steelers...Dont want them on the roster now!

Atlanta Dan
09-28-2011, 04:05 PM

Since Smith's season has ended in October the last several years we may not have a final verdict yet but the jury probably will be returning one within the next month

Atlanta Dan
09-28-2011, 04:07 PM

Of course that is not why he is being paid - $5 million seems a steep price to pay for a life achievement award

davidtrout
09-28-2011, 04:15 PM
The one thing about this game that not even Roger Goodell can change is the fact that the team goes as the line goes. Be it offense or defense the trenches are what determine success. They don't have to be world beaters, but they do have to be capable and consistent. There is nothing wrong with Woodley or Timmons that better play up front wouldn't fix. Just like there's nothing wrong with Ben or Mendy or Hines or Heath or _______ that better play up front wouldn't fix. We've shown that weakness along either line can be overcome with skill play, but what we're seeing now is not weakness, it's incompetence.

Fire Arians
09-28-2011, 04:25 PM
The guy is 36 yrs old with 10 plus years of bodily beatings and injuries....It's a crime we didnt cut him because of his salary alone...Add to it we have two number one picks on the roster ready to take his place.

This team has way to many holes to pay a 36 year old has been that type of money.

2 of tomlin's biggest ****-ups for 2 years in a row now involve aaron smith

DanRooney
09-28-2011, 04:28 PM
2 of tomlin's biggest ****-ups for 2 years in a row now involve aaron smith

What do you know? You're just a fan on a board :chuckle:

But yeah, they should have encouraged him to retire in the offseason. Maybe give him a gratitude check in the mail if they like him so much. We would of probably been able to sign a quality LT with the money he makes.

solardave
09-28-2011, 04:48 PM
They got what they wanted.

WOW. I had to quote this . I'ts ahhh just wow. I couldn't have put it better myself.

As for the drop off in game one Woodley stayed back almost all game in coverage and I agree that Aaron's drop off has drawn more attention to Woodley. As far as Timmons I don't know what his problem is, I also thought this would be the year of the beast but to quote a wise man:rofl: "they got what they wanted". I guess.

Steel4ever95
09-28-2011, 07:07 PM
Its a veteran d, they've all been around for a while I think they will still turn the ship around and be the d we all know. A few people have mentioned this already but Smith hasent played in some time, not to mention the lockout may have hurt him a bit more by not getting in a full camp. I would love to see Hood out there, he really grew up last year stepping in for Smith, and I do agree that there needs to be some sort of a rotation along the line, it seemed that they were subbing more often in the Colts game.

Fire Arians
09-28-2011, 08:48 PM
for the amount of money they were paid, i don't think it's unreasonable to expect at least 1 big play out of them within a 3 game span

Atlanta Dan
09-28-2011, 10:06 PM
Its a veteran d, they've all been around for a while I think they will still turn the ship around and be the d we all know. A few people have mentioned this already but Smith hasent played in some time, not to mention the lockout may have hurt him a bit more by not getting in a full camp. I would love to see Hood out there, he really grew up last year stepping in for Smith, and I do agree that there needs to be some sort of a rotation along the line, it seemed that they were subbing more often in the Colts game.

Some observations from Farrior

Steelers LB James Farrior: "We’re disappointed we’re not stopping the run game as we usually do but it’s still a work in progress.”

More from Farrior: “Guys have to be responsible and trust each other and play the technique that goes with the defense."

Farrior: “Sometimes you get a guy trying to do too much or a guy not quite fitting right. It’s been hurting us a little bit.”

http://twitter.com/#!/scottbrown_trib

Reads like Farrior is laying the problem on the younger guys on the DL since the only other substitution of note for the front 7 has been Foote

SH-Rock
09-28-2011, 10:08 PM
Timmons is doing good, Woodley on the other hand is a non-factor.

BKAnthem
09-28-2011, 11:36 PM
for the amount of money they were paid, i don't think it's unreasonable to expect at least 1 big play out of them within a 3 game span

This

Curtain_of_Steel
09-29-2011, 09:09 AM
Woodley is affected due to playing only 2 D-lineman a good chunk of sundays game. These guys are not 4-3 set ends. Some may call it the nickle, but when there is only 4 on the line, its 4-3 in my book and less pressure.
Harison got his game changing play when we had 3-4 in there.

Timmons is playing fine, I think a lot of this is over compensation becuase our secondary blows. We are sending less pressure or one side, not both and so on.

As far as Smith goes, Verdict was in long ago. The jury is just deliberating longer to let the judge know. Its a shame we blew 5mill in cap space when we couldve brough in an actually o-lineman who can play. Not recycled junk.

tanda10506
09-29-2011, 12:10 PM
Some observations from Farrior

Steelers LB James Farrior: "We’re disappointed we’re not stopping the run game as we usually do but it’s still a work in progress.”

More from Farrior: “Guys have to be responsible and trust each other and play the technique that goes with the defense."

Farrior: “Sometimes you get a guy trying to do too much or a guy not quite fitting right. It’s been hurting us a little bit.”

http://twitter.com/#!/scottbrown_trib

Reads like Farrior is laying the problem on the younger guys on the DL since the only other substitution of note for the front 7 has been Foote

Who would be not fitting in, Smith? All the other starting defensive players are the same as last year. Foote isn't in there enough to be the problem. I don't see how he can say it's a work in progress, it's the same team, they did it succesfully last year.

Steel4ever95
09-29-2011, 03:05 PM
Who would be not fitting in, Smith? All the other starting defensive players are the same as last year. Foote isn't in there enough to be the problem. I don't see how he can say it's a work in progress, it's the same team, they did it succesfully last year.

Exactly, the guys running the d should know where to be by know when the plays are called, it seems like the defense just cant get to that second gear during the game to make the big plays we are used to.

DanRooney
10-01-2011, 07:06 PM
Time for one of our DBs not named Troy to try and make a play. When is the last time one of our corners had an interception?

steelerchad
10-01-2011, 07:14 PM
Since Smith's season has ended in October the last several years we may not have a final verdict yet but the jury probably will be returning one within the next month

He was irreplaceable in 07 and 09. We did fine without him last year. Not only does he have age against him, but I think the new HGH testing could have something to do with his performance drop off this season. 3 arm muscle tears in 4 years makes you wonder at the least.

DanRooney
10-01-2011, 07:16 PM
He was irreplaceable in 07 and 09. We did fine without him last year. Not only does he have age against him, but I think the new HGH testing could have something to do with his performance drop off this season. 3 arm muscle tears in 4 years makes you wonder at the least.

lol...

tony hipchest
10-01-2011, 09:17 PM
He was irreplaceable in 07 and 09. We did fine without him last year. Not only does he have age against him, but I think the new HGH testing could have something to do with his performance drop off this season. 3 arm muscle tears in 4 years makes you wonder at the least.yeah, because it couldnt have anything to do with him not seeing any live action in about 11 months, and missing an entire off season w/o his trainers, rehab, or use of team facilities because of the lock out. :rolleyes:

several things here-

the steelers rush defense was lights out over the 1st 4 games of the year last season. little over 50 ypg, and 2 ypc. those fantastic and record pace numbers did drop off after aaron went down.

he only has a single muscle tear in his career- a bicep. the other arm injury youre thinking of (which would make 2, not 3 in the past 4 years) is a rotator cuff which is not a muscle.

nevermind the fact that the league hasnt even begun hgh testing yet, because the players association and league cant agree upon a proper and effective test to administer.

-=myth debunked.

finesward
10-01-2011, 09:49 PM
Time for one of our DBs not named Troy to try and make a play. When is the last time one of our corners had an interception?

Preseason lol