PDA

View Full Version : Ben leaves practice early for "conference call"

steelfury02
09-28-2011, 08:35 PM
Strange:
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11271/1178249-100.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml

It was probably a call from the commissioner suspending him for 4 games because Ben had a drink at his own wedding :chuckle:

stb_steeler
09-28-2011, 08:39 PM
I hate when these articles dont give ya the full details......:banging:

Atlanta Dan
09-28-2011, 08:51 PM
I hate when these articles dont give ya the full details......:banging:

Because nobody knows all the details?:noidea:

Ben R not in lockerroom after leaving practice early

http://twitter.com/#!/EdBouchette/status/119137943590928384

stb_steeler
09-28-2011, 08:56 PM
Then why write them?......Its like some one calling ya saying publishers clearing house is on their way.....Oh wait, no their not!

Atlanta Dan
09-28-2011, 08:59 PM
Then why write them?......Its like some one calling ya saying publishers clearing house is on their way.....Oh wait, no their not!

A starting QB leaving practice early for a "conference call" and then not being in the locker room after the "call" is over is noteworthy

If the team does not provide a further explanation that does not mean you do not report what is known

SPMarx
09-28-2011, 10:29 PM
http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Confident-in-whoever-plays/bce9a6d6-80e9-4de6-9c63-a7f06d7dabba

^ Mentions that ben was in a conference call with Houston Media. Maybe that's the conference call they're talking about? :noidea:

Fire Haley
09-28-2011, 11:12 PM
The wifey called, she wanted him to bring home some bread and milk

Moose
09-29-2011, 01:08 AM
Yea, I'm betting on the Houston interview. Where else would they contact him ? I'm thinking it's a 'no biggie' situation. Not to worry.

BGSU A Dub
09-29-2011, 01:20 AM
Yea, I'm betting on the Houston interview. Where else would they contact him ? I'm thinking it's a 'no biggie' situation. Not to worry.

As of now, I'm with you Moose. I hope that it is a non-issue (and hopefully not another lawsuit :doh:)

Atlanta Dan
09-29-2011, 07:12 AM

Bouchette of the P-G says it was not a media call

This was no conference call involving reporters, mind you; that would never happen, plus Ben did that at lunch time with the media in Houston.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers

Presumably there will be some explanation today:noidea:

BIGNASTY91
09-29-2011, 07:20 AM
Guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens?? :popcorn:

steelfury02
09-29-2011, 07:20 AM
hmmm - based one comments by Ben about line never staying healthy and having to plug plays in - check out my new thread with a new set of Rashard's dumb a** comments

I think this guy is starting to talk his way out of the Burgh.

tunes4life
09-29-2011, 07:52 AM
I'm gonna take a shot in the dark here. I have a feeling that this may be a conference call with the doctor, but not Ben's doctor. With the speed at which Ben is moving with his personal life now, I would be willing to bet the wifey is pregnant. Just a hunch.

:smoker:

cloppbeast
09-29-2011, 08:07 AM
I think this guy is starting to talk his way out of the Burgh.

Which guy? Ben or Rashard?

blackandgoldsc
09-29-2011, 08:23 AM
I don't see the big deal. It is likely having to do with his lawsuit. I don't see the big issue. Events happen in life that take you away from your job. I am sure everyone here has had to leave work early to go to a doctor, go to a funeral, pick up a kid from school, something. I think we can allow Ben an 'excused absense' so he can take care of his own personal life.

FanSince72
09-29-2011, 08:47 AM

They write them so that people like us will fill up ten pages on a discussion board talking about it. :blah: :blah: :blah:

In the biz it's called "A slow news day".

steelfury02
09-29-2011, 08:55 AM
Good enough for some to respond to this. I only put it in here because I've followed Ed for a while and yup - it is slow so kill me.

And by talking himself out of the Burgh (combined with cap issue) I mean Mendy.

Of course - at the current pace he'll have no leverage to get any huge raise in pay anyways so whatever

steelfury02
09-29-2011, 09:02 AM
You're right - I should consult with you his personal friend on these matters before I put something on a message board to just chew the fat on

I'm sensing a little jealousy heading in Ashley's direction.:toofunny:

cloppbeast
09-29-2011, 09:27 AM
And by talking himself out of the Burgh (combined with cap issue) I mean Mendy.

I think he will play himself out of the 'burgh.

Plus, any team who pays big money for a running back doesn't know what they're doing.

Look at the teams who have high paid running backs: Titans, Vikings, Rams, Panthers - none of them are any good. The drop-off from a Chris Johnson to a Joseph Addai just doesn't compare to the drop-off from Aaron Rodgers to Colt McCoy, or the drop-off from Joe Thomas to John Scott.

The Steelers should cut Mendenhall right now and go get Flozell. No other immediate action could help this team more.

jjpro11
09-29-2011, 09:51 AM
lol look at all the baseless speculation in this thread.

tony hipchest
09-29-2011, 10:10 AM
I think he will play himself out of the 'burgh.

Plus, any team who pays big money for a running back doesn't know what they're doing.

Look at the teams who have high paid running backs: Titans, Vikings, Rams, Panthers - none of them are any good. The drop-off from a Chris Johnson to a Joseph Addai just doesn't compare to the drop-off from Aaron Rodgers to Colt McCoy, or the drop-off from Joe Thomas to John Scott.

The Steelers should cut Mendenhall right now and go get Flozell. No other immediate action could help this team more.

man, you were on your way to a great post with excellent points and you had to ruin it with the last line. :doh:

the steelers could cut mendenhall, farrior, smith, ben, scott, the punter and anyone else and STLL not be able to afford flozell.

there is a salary cap and their salaries [2011] are guaranteed.

what simple part of this cant steelerfans understand? :banging:

cloppbeast
09-29-2011, 10:19 AM
the steelers could cut mendenhall, farrior, smith, ben, scott, the punter and anyone else and STLL not be able to afford flozell.

I admit, I didn't know this piece of information.

How much does Flozel want, anyway?

I generally tried to make the point investing in the o-line, especially tackle, is a better use of money than investing in running back. So, they shouldn't to resign Mendenhall even if he was good.

tony hipchest
09-29-2011, 10:32 AM
I admit, I didn't know this piece of information.

How much does Flozel want, anyway?

I generally tried to make the point investing in the o-line, especially tackle, is a better use of money than investing in running back. So, they shouldn't to resign Mendenhall even if he was good.

adam schefter reported that the steelers had the least ammt of cap space available before the season started (under 2 mil).

typically all teams like to keep atleast that much for emergencies and replacing players who need to go on IR (which we did by signing jamon meredith- which I would say takes us below 1 mil).

flozell and his $5 million were cut before the season (thus not guaranteed) and reports are he'd gladly sit at home as opposed to rendering his services for league minimum (which after taxes would be about $400,000).

now if you listen to the steelers FO spin, they are saying money is not an issue that is preventing them from signing a player (such as starks or flozell). im not buying it.

unless they really think he is washed up or true market value isnt much more than league minimum.

steelfury02
09-29-2011, 11:02 AM
I'd be interested to know what makes this baseless speculation.

1. I simply posted a link to an article reported by the post-gazette. At the time they thought it worthy enough to publish because it just seemed odd at first

2. I simply reacted to the article and thought it was strange

3. I then said combined with the fact (like someone else mentioned) that it wasn't for the Houston Media call, then on the Houston media call he (Ben) let it be known he is wondering why our guys are hurt all the time, then combined with Mendy's comments and it is a weird/slow week of news

4. I acknowledge that Ben also said he is proud of his O-line in the same call.

5. What else are we to do on a forum other than carry on conversation (which at times, can be speculative ((and just fun to shoot the breeze)) ? Why else is there news reported other than for people to read and come to their own conclusions or agree to disagree. I've never come out and said "Oh there is some big conspiracy and now players are openly bashing the coaches and organization and they are acting weird."

6. If you would like to lay out the rules of what you think I should be posting/talking about then I'd love to know, because while we are on on the matter - what do you have to contribute to the conversation that has any value at all? What's wrong? You don't like me pointing fingers in your direction?

tunes4life
09-29-2011, 11:10 AM
On the other hand, my speculation was definitely baseless.

MACH1
09-29-2011, 11:26 AM
I'm guessing it's something with his lawyers or some sort of family emergency. Wifey being prego isn't exactly an emergency.

FanSince72
09-29-2011, 11:37 AM
I've got it!

It's all part of a ruse cooked up by Tomlin to get everyone talking about this so they won't be talking about the O-line.

Ooooh, that Tomlin's a crafty one!

steelfury02
09-29-2011, 12:15 PM
I knew it! I've been BOON-SWANGLED!

jjpro11
09-29-2011, 02:30 PM
I'd be interested to know what makes this baseless speculation.

1. I simply posted a link to an article reported by the post-gazette. At the time they thought it worthy enough to publish because it just seemed odd at first

2. I simply reacted to the article and thought it was strange

3. I then said combined with the fact (like someone else mentioned) that it wasn't for the Houston Media call, then on the Houston media call he (Ben) let it be known he is wondering why our guys are hurt all the time, then combined with Mendy's comments and it is a weird/slow week of news

4. I acknowledge that Ben also said he is proud of his O-line in the same call.

5. What else are we to do on a forum other than carry on conversation (which at times, can be speculative ((and just fun to shoot the breeze)) ? Why else is there news reported other than for people to read and come to their own conclusions or agree to disagree. I've never come out and said "Oh there is some big conspiracy and now players are openly bashing the coaches and organization and they are acting weird."

6. If you would like to lay out the rules of what you think I should be posting/talking about then I'd love to know, because while we are on on the matter - what do you have to contribute to the conversation that has any value at all? What's wrong? You don't like me pointing fingers in your direction?

easy there... i was only commenting about the random guesses on what the call was about. i.e. pregnant wife, legal matter, etc.

ricardisimo
09-29-2011, 02:57 PM
Conference call with the Rooneys... Art Jr. wanted to know what Ben thought of firing Arians immediately.

siss
09-29-2011, 03:02 PM
Ben told Bouchette that he had a "family matter" to attend to, but everything is fine.

So maybe there is a little #7 on the way...can we draft the kid now?

Fire Haley
09-29-2011, 03:13 PM
Recapping Tomlin, Roethlisberger conference calls

Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger spoke to the Houston media via conference call on Wednesday. Here are some notes and key quotes from their respective calls:

Mike Tomlin conference call

The Steelers entered the week with health concerns at left tackle, right tackle and right guard after their offensive line was decimated by injuries on Sunday. Starting left tackle Jonathan Scott (ankle) and guard Doug Legursky (shoulder) did not practice Wednesday, but Tomlin is confident that whoever plays in Week 4 will get the job done. “We believe that everybody on our football team can be the reason why we win,” he said. “They’re competent and capable men. We try to hold them to that standard. We acknowledge that injury is as much a part of the game of football as blocking and tackling. This group has had more opportunities than others to display that, but it’s not our first rodeo in that regard. We expect these guys to step up, if given the opportunity, and play winning football for us.”

Tomlin was asked about the possibility of Texans running back Arian Foster returning to the field on Sunday and playing along with Ben Tate. “Obviously, we respect him and what he’s capable of doing on the football field, but I think that Tate and others have also shown us that these guys are going to be very capable of running the football and doing what it is they want to do offensively even if he’s not available,” Tomlin said. “We respect Arian Foster, but we also respect the Houston Texans run game in general and any back they choose to give it to. We better prepare ourselves to defend it.”

Tomlin gave a glowing review of Texans rookie defensive end J.J. Watt, the first-round pick from Wisconsin who has made a big play in each of his first three games (fumble recovery in Week 1, blocked field goal in Week 2, sack in Week 3). “I’m impressed,” Tomlin said. “I wouldn’t say that I’m surprised. I was at his pro day. Of course, I studied him leading up to the draft. He’s displaying the same things down there that made him a great player in Madison. He’s very instinctual. He plays with a high motor. He’s taking advantage of the opportunities presented.”

Tomlin said that Texans quarterback Matt Schaub is “tailor-made” to run the Texans’ offensive scheme. “The way they mix the play-action pass and mix the direction pass in with the run game, his ability to throw the ball from a variety of launch points, the rapport that he has of course with Andre Johnson… he needs no endorsement from me,” Tomlin said. “They’ve been doing it at a high level down there for a number of years, and I think the statistics and the video bears that out.”

Ben Roethlisberger conference call

Roethlisberger was comically candid when asked about what he’s looking forward to with the Texans’ defense. “I don’t know if I’m looking forward to it,” he said. “They’re a really good defense. It starts up front, obviously; great D-line, and the linebackers really get after it. (I’ve) got to watch some more film and get ready, because they present some problems.”

Roethlisberger’s take on going against outside linebacker Mario Williams: “Yeah, a little different than the outside linebackers I see every day. Just a freak; one of the, if not the, best. It’ll be a great challenge for our tackles. Last week, they had to go against two of the best that are speed guys and have a lot of moves and this guy’s just an absolute beast, so heck of a challenge.” Williams had two sacks and a forced fumble on Roethlisberger when the Texans and Steelers played in 2008.

The Steelers have turned the ball over 10 times, tied for most in the league, with six lost fumbles and four interceptions. Their -9 turnover differential is worst in the NFL. “I think turnovers is our number one bugaboo right now,” Roethlisberger said. “We’ve got to cut back on the turnovers, and that starts with me.”

With the Steelers struggling to run the ball this season, averaging less than 3.3 yards per carry, Roethlisberger was asked if there’s any sense of panic on offense. “It’s not panic,” he said. “We’re not panicked. I think you guys and the media and people and fans try and panic for us, and that’s fine. We’re a veteran enough group that we don’t do that and we just talk about what we need to do and get it done.” In other words, the sky is not falling after only three games.

http://blog.houstontexans.com/2011/09/28/recapping-tomlin-roethlisberger-conference-calls/

MasterOfPuppets
09-29-2011, 04:37 PM
The wifey called, she wanted him to bring home some bread and milk
and batteries.

MasterOfPuppets
09-29-2011, 04:43 PM
I'm guessing it's something with his lawyers or some sort of family emergency. Wifey being prego isn't exactly an emergency.
doesn't he still have a lawsuit pending ? :noidea:

tony hipchest
09-29-2011, 05:08 PM
it was a booty call.

MACH1
09-29-2011, 05:41 PM
doesn't he still have a lawsuit pending ? :noidea:

In Tahoe I believe. Thats why I thought maybe something happened with that.