PDA

View Full Version : World Cup Pick'em

SteelerDan43
06-07-2006, 05:00 PM
With the World Cup fast approaching make your picks for the round of 16, then we can do it again as we go... Like the Playoff Pick'em I did for the NFL.

Pick a winner and runner up per group

Group A
Germany
Poland
Costa Rica
Ecuador

Group B
England
Paraguay
Sweden
Trinidad and Tobago

Group C
Argentina
Ivory Coast
Netherlands
Serbia And Montenegro

Group D
Angola
Iran
Mexico
Portugal

Group E
Czech Republic
Ghana
Italy
United States

Group F
Australia
Brazil
Croatia
Japan

Group G
France
South Korea
Switzerland
Togo

Group H
Saudi Arabia
Spain
Tunisia
Ukraine

For scoring, a point per correct team, point per correct position.

SteelerDan43
06-07-2006, 05:37 PM
Here are my Group picks...

Group A
Winner: Germany
Runner Up: Poland

Group B
Winner: England
Runner Up: Sweden

Group C
Winner: Argentina
Runner Up: Ivory Coast

Group D
Winner: Portugal
Runner Up: Iran

Group E
Winner: Italy
Runner Up: USA

Group F
Winner: Brazil
Runner Up: Croatia

Group G
Winner: France
Runner Up: Togo

Group H
Winner: Spain
Runner Up: Ukraine

tony hipchest
06-07-2006, 06:46 PM
i dont follow soccer but im game! (2nd in each grouping is my runner up) my picks arent totally random. iremember that teams like germany, brazil, mexico etc are usually pretty good.

Group A
Poland
Germany

Group B
England
Sweden

Group C
Argentina
Serbia And Montenegro

Group D
Mexico
Portugal

Group E
Italy
United States

Group F
Brazil
Australia

Group G
France
Togo

Group H
Spain
Ukraine

SteelerDan43
06-07-2006, 07:21 PM
I know alot of people are not soccer fans but its still something amusing to do, I for one am going to be watching as much of the World Cup as possible. Watching the MLS while its getting better as a league is no where close to watching the UEFA Cup with guys like Henry and Ronaldahino. That game was watched by almost twice as many people as the Super Bowl. The expected number for viewers of the World Cup final is over the Billion mark.

Livinginthe past
06-08-2006, 01:18 AM
Im going to use my special inside knowledge...and come last.

Group A
1. Germany
2. Poland

Group B
1. England
2. Sweden

Group C
1. Argentina
2. Netherlands

Group D
1. Portugal
2. Angola

Group E
1. Czech Rep.
2. Italy

Group F
1. Brazil
2. Croatia

Group G
1. France
2. Switzerland

Group H
1. Spain
2. Ukraine

Ok thats mine.

Official 'Group of death' has to be group E - all four teams are very talented - the USA and Ghana would have qualified out of some of the other groups.

NM

Ohio Steeler
06-08-2006, 02:13 AM
ok here goes and no I am not a soccer fan and know nothin about the sport... Bold is winner

Group A
Poland
Costa Rica

Group B
England
Sweden

Group C
Argentina
Netherlands

Group D
Mexico
Iran

Group E
United States
Italy

Group F
Brazil
Australia

Group G
France
South Korea

Group H
Saudi Arabia
Spain

shimmysteelerfan
06-08-2006, 09:59 AM
Group A
Germany
Costa Rica

Group B
England
Sweden

Group C
Argentina
Serbia And Montenegro

Group D
Mexico
Portugal

Group E
Czech Republic
United States

Group F
Brazil
Croatia

Group G
Switzerland
Togo

Group H
Spain
Ukraine

i dont really follow soccer so here are my pics, totally random, except for usa, how could you not pick em!!

SteelCityMan786
06-08-2006, 02:15 PM
Group A
Germany
Poland*
Costa Rica
Ecuador

Group B
England
Paraguay
Sweden
Trinidad and Tobago*

Group C
Argentina
Ivory Coast
Netherlands*
Serbia And Montenegro

Group D
Angola
Iran
Mexico
Portugal*

Group E
Czech Republic
Ghana
Italy*
United States

Group F
Australia*
Brazil
Croatia
Japan

Group G
France
South Korea
Switzerland
Togo*

Group H
Saudi Arabia
Spain
Tunisia
Ukraine*

BOLD=Group Winner
*-Runner Up

clevestinks
06-08-2006, 02:32 PM
I didnt have the time for everything, but I think Brazil wins it all, and Spain makes the semis!

SteelerDan43
06-08-2006, 04:04 PM
Better watch out for Italy, they are pissed about all the match fixing accusations.

clevestinks
06-08-2006, 04:44 PM
Whats up with all the Nazi Germans?? They keep showing them holding up Nazi flags and everything. Wilbon from ESPN said he wanted to go now he won`t go at all!

SteelerDan43
06-08-2006, 04:49 PM
Well to put it this way there is no such thing as the civil rights movement in Europe. Even the best players in the world like Ronaldahino and Henry both FIFA world players of the year regularly hear chants of Monkey. Its worse in Italy than it is in Germany. Alot of the Iranian national team plays in the Bundesliga (German League) with out much problem. The Itailian coach was even fined after using racist remarks at practice to motivate his players

tony hipchest
06-08-2006, 09:37 PM
did i win?

seriously, going off cleves remarks (i saw the racism in soccer report too. how they allow a fan in the stands with a MEGAPHONE to yell his spew is beyond me) im rooting for the teams with the most ethnics. except for muslims, i hate them ragheads :sofunny:

pssst... its a joke people

ze germanz are still upset about what jesse owens did in the 36 olympics. stupid krauts

Livinginthe past
06-09-2006, 01:21 AM
Its a pretty embarrassing state of affiars I have to admit - we have next to no problem with racist chanting at football matches in the UK for the last 15/20 years - but they are a long way behind in mainland europe still.

Italy and Spain are two of the worst places - where the biggest sin is that people who are supposed to be setting an example (club directors, team managers) simply put this type of behaviour down to 'high spirits' - or 'fans being fans'.

While the people at the top if the game refuse to show leadership on this issue - the game in mainland europe will be tainted.

NM

SteelerDan43
06-09-2006, 04:05 PM
Germany took care of business minus Ballack with a 4-2 win over Costa Rica while in a shocker Equador beat Poland 2-0.

SteelCityMan786
06-09-2006, 10:34 PM
Germany was on a TEAR. They took care of business. got to get off to a positive start if you want the cup.

Livinginthe past
06-10-2006, 06:48 AM
OK as I type this it is 1.PM GMT - I am getting ready to head round my friends house, where a bunch of us are having beers and a BBQ before the big game - England vs Paraguay - kick off 2pm GMT.

Its hard to find a comparison for the Soccer World Cup in the NFL - even the group games are like playoffs - and the knockout stuff hasn't even started.

The result and my subsequent mood will be settled before many of you ready this.

COME ON ENGLAND!

NM

SteelerDan43
06-10-2006, 09:03 AM
After yesterday that served everyone notice dont take people lightly! Hopefully England will take Paraguay serious especially with the distraction of the Rooney stuff

SteelerDan43
06-10-2006, 09:04 AM
Beckham scores, England up 1-0 just 3 minutes in. Deflected in off a free kick from Beckham buy a Paraguay player.

SteelerDan43
06-10-2006, 10:52 AM
England wins 1-0

SteelerDan43
06-11-2006, 10:27 AM
Trinidad and Tobago tied Sweden 0-0, and this morning Serbia and Montegro fell to Holland 1-0. Mexico vs Iran is starting in a few, should be an excellent game, I highly suggest watching it!!

SteelerDan43
06-11-2006, 11:07 AM
My buddy from Germany just sent me his picks, they are a little late but oh well.

Group A: Winner: Germany, Runner up: Ecuador

Group B: Winner: England, Runner up: Sweden

Group C: Winner: Argentina, Runner up: Netherlands

Group D: Winner: Mexico, Runner up: Portugal

Group E: Winner: Italy, Runner up: United Sates (actually, if i would have to bet i would rather put my money on the czech republic but i absolutly have to support the United States!!!)

Group F: Winner: Brazil, Runner up: Japan

Group G: Winner: France, Runner up: Switzerland

Group H: Winner: Spain, Runner up: Ukraine (that group is kinda tricky too, b/c spain always has a talented team that does really good playing scrimage games and stuff but when it really matters they just cant put there game together. with germany it is the other way around many times (like in 2002)

SteelerDan43
06-11-2006, 03:41 PM
Iran made a valiant effort keeping it at 1-1 for the majority of the game but 1 mistake brought on another and they lost 3-1 to Mexico in Nurnberg. With less than 10 minutes to go Angola is down 1-0 to Portugal

Livinginthe past
06-11-2006, 05:46 PM
Angola have the best retro shirts I have seen so far in the tournament - it was a brave display against Portugal.

What do you think the score will be England v Trinidad and Tobago, Dan?

I think 3-0, and hopefully we will see some action from Rooney.

Oh and the States debut tomorrow - they will have their work cut out against a very talented Czech team.

NM

SteelerDan43
06-11-2006, 07:42 PM
Well the goal for Angola would be a draw but I think they would like to at least keep it a 1 goal differntial but I dont think they will even get that, 2-0 England with Rooney maybey getting some work in during mop up time.

SteelerDan43
06-21-2006, 04:50 PM
Haha I reread my last post and it doesnt make sense, England played T&T not Angola. Hada a brain fart there but did pick the right score

SteelerDan43
06-21-2006, 05:03 PM
Ok so half the groups are decided and here is where we stand...

1. LITP 12, 6 right
1. Christian 14* 12, 6 right, 2 partially right
3. SteelerDan43 10, 5 right
4. SteelCity 10, 4 right , 2 partially right
4. Shimmy 10, 4 right, 2 partially right
6. Ohio Steeler 9, 4 right, 1 partially right
7. Tony Hipchest 9, 3 right, 3 partially right

Even though Christian has more points he got his picks in after the first Ecuador game so he had a slight advantage so I have to take those 2 pts away

SteelerDan43
06-23-2006, 04:05 PM
Here are some of the upcomming games to pick for

Germany vs Sweden

Argentina vs Mexico

England vs Ecuador

Portugal vs Holland

Italy vs Australia

Swiss vs Ukraine

Brazil vs Ghana

Spain vs France

SteelerDan43
06-23-2006, 04:08 PM
Ill update the standings soon, also it will be 1 point for correct team and 1 per correct score.

here are my picks

Germany vs Sweden, 2-0

Argentina vs Mexico, 1-0

England vs Ecuador, 2-0

Portugal vs Holland, 2-1

Italy vs Australia, 3-1

Swiss vs Ukraine, 1-0

Brazil vs Ghana, 2-0

Spain vs France, 1-0

tony hipchest
06-23-2006, 04:33 PM
damn. 7th out of 7. i suck. but i got half as many as LITP right. i'll take that as a positive and that i know half as much as he, which is good cause i know nothing :sofunny:

Germany vs Sweden 2-1

Argentina vs Mexico 1-0

England]vs Ecuador 3-1

Portugal vs Holland 1-0

Italy vs Australia 1-0

Swiss vs Ukraine 2-0

Brazil vs Ghana 2-1

Spain vs France 3-2

SteelerDan43
06-23-2006, 05:30 PM
Ok current standings through the group stage

1. Christian 22
2. LITP 21
3. Tony 20
4. SteelerDan43 19
5. Shimmy 18
6. SteelCity 18
7. Ohio 16

Christians score is without Ecuador

SteelCityMan786
06-23-2006, 09:30 PM
Germany vs Sweden 2-1

Argentina vs Mexico 3-0

England vs Ecuador 2-1

Portugal vs Holland 1-0

Italy vs Australia 4-0

Swiss vs Ukraine 2-1

Brazil vs Ghana 3-0

Spain vs France 2-1

Livinginthe past
06-24-2006, 12:41 AM
damn. 7th out of 7. i suck. but i got half as many as LITP right. i'll take that as a positive and that i know half as much as he, which is good cause i know nothing :sofunny:

Ahhhh compliments, compliments.....hold on a minute twice nothing is......nothing...damn you Hipchest it wasn't a compliment at all!

NM

Livinginthe past
06-24-2006, 12:47 AM
Germany 3 vs Sweden 1

Argentina 4 vs Mexico 1

England 2 vs Ecuador 1

Holland 2 vs Portugal 1

Italy 2 vs Australia 0

Swiss 0 vs Ukraine 1

Brazil 3 vs Ghana 0

Spain 1 vs France 0

Those are my predictions.

Just out of interest, what do we do in the event of a penalty shoot-out?

I was thinking that if the score was 1-1 (for example) after extra time - then whichever team won the shootout would be creditted with an extra goal - so it would be 2-1 to the winning team.

NM

tony hipchest
06-24-2006, 12:50 AM
Ok current standings through the group stage

1. Christian 22
2. LITP 21
3. Tony 20
4. SteelerDan43 19
5. Shimmy 18
6. SteelCity 18
7. Ohio 16

Christians score is without Ecuador ok wait. im confused on the scoring. or did i just miss a point and scoring explanation post?

and i dont understand the 3 right and 3 partially right ofr whatever. does that mean picking the top 2 but just not in the correct order.

and i understand the points/ goals/ scoring in hockey. is that the same in soccer? an assist counts as a point?

Livinginthe past
06-24-2006, 01:44 AM
ok wait. im confused on the scoring. or did i just miss a point and scoring explanation post?

and i dont understand the 3 right and 3 partially right ofr whatever. does that mean picking the top 2 but just not in the correct order.

and i understand the points/ goals/ scoring in hockey. is that the same in soccer? an assist counts as a point?

You get one point for picking a team who qualified correctly.

You get a further point if you get their position right - 1st or 2nd place.

Partially right means the team qualified, but didnt finish in the position you predicted.

NM

SteelerDan43
06-24-2006, 09:25 AM
You get one point for picking a team who qualified correctly.

You get a further point if you get their position right - 1st or 2nd place.

Partially right means the team qualified, but didnt finish in the position you predicted.

NM

Correct!

SteelerDan43
06-24-2006, 09:26 AM
ok wait. im confused on the scoring. or did i just miss a point and scoring explanation post?

You made up a whole lot of points on the second half of the group results, I believe it was 5 completly right and 1 partial for 11 pts on the second half

Livinginthe past
06-24-2006, 10:03 AM
So Dan,

Whats the deal with penalties?

We gonna go with my suggestion about crediting the team that won the shootout with an extra goal?

NM

tony hipchest
06-24-2006, 03:44 PM
So Dan,

We gonna go with my suggestion about crediting the team that won the shootout with an extra goal?

NM
that sounds right to me. mexico and argentina are getting it on. 1-1 with about 6 min left.

Livinginthe past
06-24-2006, 03:54 PM
Well ive already lost money on the damn Argies. So now im pulling for the underdog Mexicans - I think they have run out of gas though.

NM

SteelerDan43
06-24-2006, 04:18 PM
So Dan,

NM

Sorry I didnt get back to you sooner, ya we will just assume a shootout win as an extra goal

Livinginthe past
06-24-2006, 04:35 PM
Sorry I didnt get back to you sooner, ya we will just assume a shootout win as an extra goal

Ok thanks Dan.

Didn't need it in the end - Argentina won the game with a real wonder goal didn't they?

Thought they were very lucky to still have 10 men - Heinze should have been sent off for a professional foul in the first half.

Still its like any sport - you look back at how the Champs won the title and they always need some luck.

NM

tony hipchest
06-24-2006, 04:41 PM
Ok thanks Dan.

Didn't need it in the end - Argentina won the game with a real wonder goal didn't they?

Thought they were very lucky to still have 10 men - Heinze should have been sent off for a professional foul in the first half.

Still its like any sport - you look back at how the Champs won the title and they always need some luck.

NM mexico hung tough. after i saw the highlights of argentinas 7 pass goal in the last game yesterday i realized they were the better team and had a feeling my upset pick of mexico probably wasnt gonna be a good one. that final goal was pretty amazing. ive only checked out soccer sparingly for the past 10 years but definitely the best goal ive ever seen.

83-Steelers-43
06-24-2006, 04:49 PM
Anybody see that nice little fight on FOX News between the Brits and Germans?

I would have loved to heard the insults flying between those two parties......

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/5727114

tony hipchest
06-24-2006, 05:00 PM
Anybody see that nice little fight on FOX News between the Brits and Germans?

I would have loved to heard the insults flying between those two parties......

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/5727114
yes. and im alittle ashamed for thinking it was pretty cool.

someone needs to root for the whooligans.

Livinginthe past
06-24-2006, 05:35 PM
mexico hung tough. after i saw the highlights of argentinas 7 pass goal in the last game yesterday i realized they were the better team and had a feeling my upset pick of mexico probably wasnt gonna be a good one. that final goal was pretty amazing. ive only checked out soccer sparingly for the past 10 years but definitely the best goal ive ever seen.

It w as a great goal to settle a great game.

Things definitely step up a notch in the knockout phases - just like the postseason in NFL.

There have been some real beauties in this WC so far...the refs have pretty poor so far - alot of key decisions wrong - but thats probably the case every WC.

NM

Hammer67
06-25-2006, 10:13 AM
:coffee:

Livinginthe past
06-25-2006, 02:06 PM
Engerland la la la engerland la lahhhhh..

Through to the quarter finals.

NM

tony hipchest
06-25-2006, 02:14 PM
Engerland la la la engerland la lahhhhh..

Through to the quarter finals.

NM last i saw was 1-0. final score? i couldnt watch cause tv land was having a Three's Company marathon.

Livinginthe past
06-25-2006, 02:21 PM
Yep final score. We done just enough again.

It wasn't a perfornace to strike fear into our opponents hearts - but come the big game I know the boys are going to step it up.

NM

tony hipchest
06-25-2006, 02:27 PM
Yep final score. We done just enough again.

It wasn't a perfornace to strike fear into our opponents hearts - but come the big game I know the boys are going to step it up.

NMenglands kinda banged up right now right? i think this was the game i picked to have the 2nd higest point total. i need to get a correct score to make up for my mexico pick.

Livinginthe past
06-25-2006, 02:29 PM
englands kinda banged up right now right? i think this was the game i picked to have the 2nd higest point total. i need to get a correct score to make up for my mexico pick.

England are waiting to catch fire - but in all honesty Germany, Argentina and Brazil are all better bets at this point.

NM

CantStop85
06-25-2006, 02:48 PM
englands kinda banged up right now right? i think this was the game i picked to have the 2nd higest point total. i need to get a correct score to make up for my mexico pick.
Watch out guys, Tony's going to be a soccer expert by the end of this thing. :bouncy:

tony hipchest
06-25-2006, 03:00 PM
Watch out guys, Tony's going to be a soccer expert by the end of this thing. :bouncy: i do learn quickly

Hammer67
06-26-2006, 05:58 AM
To all of you soccer (football) fans: What is up with the reated violence by fans at games??!! Is it just the type of people who are attracted to such events?

Livinginthe past
06-26-2006, 07:02 AM
To all of you soccer (football) fans: What is up with the reated violence by fans at games??!! Is it just the type of people who are attracted to such events?

Well its a cultural thing Hammer.

If we go back in the day to the late 70's, early 80's violence at football matches was a given - it wasn't so much the sport these people were attracted to - just the gang mentality.

These people would have gravitated towards the most popular sport no matter what it was.

These days we get next to no domestic violence at soccer matches in England - the police know who the few trouble makers are and are able to keep them on a short leash or have them banned.

Alot of this good work has gone out the window in international competition - there is alot of history between certain countries ( Germany and England for example) and it doesn't take too much to get some trouble between these fans.

Of course, drinking all day in hot weather doesn't help either.

All in all England fans have a poor reputation, and deservedly so, but Italian, German and especially Turkish fans are allowed to act just as bad without any of the same criticism.

We are moving in the right direction, and although it doesnt seem like it, this has been one of the best behaved Europe based World Cups on record.

NM

SteelerDan43
06-26-2006, 07:14 AM
here are Christian's round of 16 picks. His e-mail was dated 5:09am yesterday so they are ok

england vs. ecuador 2-0

portugal vs. netherlands 2-1

italy vs. australia 2-0

switzerland vs. ukraine 1-2

brazil vs. ghana 2-0

spain vs. france 2-0

SteelerDan43
06-26-2006, 07:18 AM
The Portugal Holland game was a discrace, why whould you put a Russian ref in there?

Livinginthe past
06-26-2006, 07:20 AM
The Portugal Holland game was a discrace, why whould you put a Russian ref in there?

Whats the problem with a Russian ref?

NM

SteelerDan43
06-26-2006, 10:37 AM
Whats the problem with a Russian ref?

NM

I would assume there would be a language barrier happening there. It sure looked like he wasnt comprehending what they were saying. He even had to go over to the other ref to try to talk to him even though they have head sets for that. Im not saying Russians in general are bad refs but you would think they would put someone in there that was at least familier with the languages

Livinginthe past
06-26-2006, 10:51 AM
I would assume there would be a language barrier happening there. It sure looked like he wasnt comprehending what they were saying. He even had to go over to the other ref to try to talk to him even though they have head sets for that. Im not saying Russians in general are bad refs but you would think they would put someone in there that was at least familier with the languages

Aha I see.

I have wondered how you can have a referee from Angola, with linesman from South Korea and Ecuador - or something similar - as you say communication must be very difficult.

Im keeping my eye on this situation, if England fall foul of poor refereeing ill probably try and convince everyone it was a conspiracy!!

NM

SteelerDan43
06-26-2006, 02:54 PM
Aha I see.

I have wondered how you can have a referee from Angola, with linesman from South Korea and Ecuador - or something similar - as you say communication must be very difficult.

Im keeping my eye on this situation, if England fall foul of poor refereeing ill probably try and convince everyone it was a conspiracy!!

NM

Well the conspiracy theory has already started for the USA on the Gooch Onyewu penalty in the Ghana game

As far as the Russian ref goes, since he wasnt able to communicate real well he seemed to use the yellow card instead of pulling the guy aside and thats what lead to it getting out of hand

SteelerDan43
06-26-2006, 04:04 PM
Hoping to see a shootout in this Swiss Ukraine game!!! 0-0 in extra time. only a few more minutes till penalty kicks.... This will make a big chande in standings as two of the top four have either teams and me and LITP have 1-0 scores

SteelerDan43
06-26-2006, 04:29 PM
Time for PK's!!!!!!!!

Ukraine dominates in PK's 3-0

Hammer67
06-26-2006, 05:41 PM
Well its a cultural thing Hammer.

If we go back in the day to the late 70's, early 80's violence at football matches was a given - it wasn't so much the sport these people were attracted to - just the gang mentality.

These people would have gravitated towards the most popular sport no matter what it was.

These days we get next to no domestic violence at soccer matches in England - the police know who the few trouble makers are and are able to keep them on a short leash or have them banned.

Alot of this good work has gone out the window in international competition - there is alot of history between certain countries ( Germany and England for example) and it doesn't take too much to get some trouble between these fans.

Of course, drinking all day in hot weather doesn't help either.

All in all England fans have a poor reputation, and deservedly so, but Italian, German and especially Turkish fans are allowed to act just as bad without any of the same criticism.

We are moving in the right direction, and although it doesnt seem like it, this has been one of the best behaved Europe based World Cups on record.

NM

I guess...thanks for the info. I could never really get into the sport...played it when I was a kid. Where I was from, a lot of the "pretty" boys played soccer (football) and the tougher, cooler kids played American football. I know they both can be physical but that was the way it was...

I tried to watch a game recently and just couldn't get into it at all. I guess it is a cultural thing.

SteelerDan43
06-27-2006, 04:10 PM
Updated standings through the round of 16

1. LITP 29
2. Christian 27
3. SteelerDan43 25 (15 Correct Results or Scores)
4. SteelCity 25 (14 Correct Results or Scores)
5. Tony 25 (13 Correct Results or Scores)
6. Shimmy 18
7. Ohio 16

SteelerDan43
06-27-2006, 04:11 PM
Round of 8 games

Germany vs Argentina

Italy vs Ukraine

England vs Portugal

Brazil vs France

SteelerDan43
06-27-2006, 04:12 PM
Germany vs Argentina, 2-1

Italy vs Ukraine, 1-0

England vs Portugal, 2-0

Brazil vs France, 2-1

tony hipchest
06-27-2006, 04:26 PM
Germany vs Argentina 2-1

Italy vs Ukraine 1-0

England vs Portugal 1-0

Brazil vs France 1-0

sorry but i meant to edi england as my pick earlier and forgot. i picked against france just cause i think the french are wussies. i picked mexico just for local loyalties. (got burnt by both) while i prefer england, i gotta pick portugal. if england is recharged i may regret this but i have to have one upset pick anyways and this is it.

Livinginthe past
06-27-2006, 08:00 PM
Germany 1 vs Argentina 2

Italy 2 vs Ukraine 0

England 2 vs Portugal 1

Brazil 2 vs France 0

Good luck England

NM

SteelerDan43
06-27-2006, 08:59 PM
England got a big boost from that bullshit ref job with two starters for Portugal suspended. Right now the two teams that look the best are last World Cup's finalists. With Klose and Podolski striking like that it will be tough to beat Germany. If Ballack starts playing like Ballack they will be pretty unstopable

SteelCityMan786
06-27-2006, 09:38 PM
Germany 2, Argentina 1

Italy 3 ,Ukraine 0

England 1 ,Portugal 0

Brazil 3, France 0

SteelerDan43
06-30-2006, 07:09 AM
here are Christians picks

germany vs. argentina 2-1 (many people say that this is already the final b/c they think those to teams have been the best so far. the coach of argentina even said that it wouldnt be a shame to lose to germany (no one in argentina would have said that 3 weeks ago...))

italy vs. ukriane 1-0 (the fact that italy is already in the quater finals is unbelieveable. they played so bad in each of their games and always won b/c they had more luck than the other team.... they are going to be lucky again....)

england vs. portugal 1-2 (have to go with portugal b/c england didnt play welll either... the only thing that might become a problem is that 2 players from portugal wont be allowed to play because of yellow and red c ards, and one of them is deco......)

brazil vs. france 2-1 (some people thing france finally put their game together against spain (i know i picked spain as the winner....) and brazil hasnt been forced to play anywhere close to 100% so far. they might have to against france though)

Livinginthe past
06-30-2006, 11:55 AM
All them 2-1 picks for the Argentina v Germany game look to be spot on.

I thought Argetina would wrap this up - but they have faded badly - Germany have all the momentum going into extra time.

NM

tony hipchest
06-30-2006, 05:13 PM
caught the last 20 of the italy game. man they killed them. good call steelcityman 3-0

Livinginthe past
06-30-2006, 05:27 PM
Im hoping Steelcitymans run of red hot prediction form continues for tne next game.

2/2 so far - well done - lets make it 3/3

NM

tony hipchest
06-30-2006, 05:33 PM
Im hoping Steelcitymans run of red hot prediction form continues for tne next game.

2/2 so far - well done - lets make it 3/3

NM

either

a) youre basing all your money bets offa steelcitymans picks, or
b) england has the next game

Livinginthe past
06-30-2006, 05:40 PM
b).....definitely b)

At 2Pm tomorrow I will be hitting the pub - at 4pm tomorrow my heart will be in mouth and a beer will be in my hand - that will be kick-off UK Time.

Im guessing thats about 11am EST.

Come On England.

NM

tony hipchest
07-01-2006, 01:34 PM
b).....definitely b)

At 2Pm tomorrow I will be hitting the pub - at 4pm tomorrow my heart will be in mouth and a beer will be in my hand - that will be kick-off UK Time.

Im guessing thats about 11am EST.

Come On England.

NM well i watched the game and needed an early brew and plenty of cigs to get through the overtime and penalty kicks. englands keeper was simply lost. portugals keeper got a hand on every shot and the one that went in couldve very well been deflected. penalty kicks have to be one of the most nailbiting sport events. you almost feel bad for all goalies. very much like hockey but in soccer the goalies are on a little island whereas in hockey the goalie seems to consume the whole net.

on that note, hopefully im making a little ground in our sf pickem. and thanks sportscenter for keeping me informed. as unpopular as soccer is in america, espn's coverage has been pretty good.

Livinginthe past
07-01-2006, 01:35 PM
I feel sick.

NM

tony hipchest
07-01-2006, 01:38 PM
I feel sick.

NM i guess thats like your version of losing a sb, only on a global scale. i didnt get why beckham was out of the game. he didnt foul out right?

SteelerDan43
07-01-2006, 06:31 PM
Current Standings

1. Christian 31
2. LITP 30
2. Tony 30
4. SteelCity 29
5. SteelerDan 28

Same Procedure for the next matches

Germany vs Italy

Portugal vs France

SteelCityMan786
07-01-2006, 10:30 PM
ITALY 2, Germany 0
PORTUGAL 2, France 1

Livinginthe past
07-01-2006, 11:01 PM
i guess thats like your version of losing a sb, only on a global scale. i didnt get why beckham was out of the game. he didnt foul out right?

Im pretty sure he had an injury.

NM

SteelerDan43
07-02-2006, 10:14 AM
Germany vs Italy, 2-1

Portugal vs France, 1-0

Ambridge
07-02-2006, 07:25 PM
I've been following the World Cup on the fringe and I've found it kind of comical how the majority of the Latin American people I work with have been sulking around the last couple of days now that Brazil and Argentina have been eliminated.

A truly amusing final match would be Germany-vs-France.
Keeping in historical tradition I would expect the Frogs to roll over and surrender......old habits are hard to break. :grin:

tony hipchest
07-02-2006, 11:21 PM
Im pretty sure he had an injury.

NM i saw that after my post. he had a leg injury. that sucks. other than ronaldo, he is the only world cup participant i know. (sad that us americans dont even know our own team but then again it is the usa soccer team- whats to know)

and after years of wondering, i finally know what happened to rob halford (lead singer of judas priest and later FIGHT)

he is the goalie for france.

Livinginthe past
07-02-2006, 11:29 PM
Germany 2 Italy 1

France 0 Portugal 2

NM

SteelerDan43
07-04-2006, 09:28 AM
Here are Christians picks

germany vs. italy 3-1 (the FIFA punished one our guys (Frings) because they said he punched player of argentina in the face after the game. even the guy that he "punched" said that no one did punch him. plus argentinas players were all over our guys not the other way around..... anyways, we never ever beat italy at a world cup before, but then again we never ever lost in dortmunds stadium. stats like that wont matter anyways but you know how sports comentators are......)

portugal vs. france 1-2 (i dont think portugal will make it through this round. france totally turned their game around after the group games..... plus every game could be zidane`s last game, and he wants to end his career with a appearance in the finals (of cause he wants to win to but that aint happening b/ c our guys are going to beat them!!!!) :-)

SteelerDan43
07-04-2006, 09:30 AM
I have to say that the "punch" by Frings was bullshit, it was a mele and the only video they have is Frings in the bottom corner where its real hard to see. Yet the suspend him and do nothing to Figo who blatantly headbutted a Netherlands player.

Livinginthe past
07-04-2006, 01:06 PM
Can't seem to edit my last post.

Got the France v Portugal the wrong way round.

France 2 Portugal 0

Germany 2 Italy 1

NM

tony hipchest
07-04-2006, 01:09 PM
Can't seem to edit my last post.

Got the France v Portugal the wrong way round.

France 2 Portugal 0

Germany 2 Italy 1

NM

damn im stumped on france. i just dont know which way to go with this pick. ive picked against them every time recently just based on politics and got burnt every time. better to pick with your head than your heart though.

tony hipchest
07-04-2006, 03:12 PM
oh shit i didnt realize soccer was back on today, anyways i had

germany 2-1
and portugal 1-0

im not expecting any points for the germany pick. i got it in at 59:00 with the score 0-0. just wanted to get it on record anyways

tony hipchest
07-04-2006, 04:30 PM
holy cow! italy kicked it into overdrive in ot. im guessing since everyone picked germany and i didnt get my pick in time it ended up being a wash? when is the france/ portugal match? i may need to give my pick some extra thought. what an upset!

btw im rooting for italy to win it all now.

Livinginthe past
07-04-2006, 04:46 PM
Italy deserved it on the night - a really fine performance.

They need to tape that perofrmance from the referee and use it as a teaching aid for other refs - fantastic job.

Italy have had some crushing bad luck in the last 20 years in world competition, but have brough some of this on themselves with their negative attitude once ahead - think Marty ball here.

They shed that reputation tonight in style.

Whoever they play in the final, ill be rooting for the Azzuri

NM

SteelerDan43
07-06-2006, 12:31 PM
Third Place game on saturday, Finals Sunday

Germany vs Portugal

Italy vs France

SteelerDan43
07-06-2006, 12:32 PM
Germany vs Portugal 1-0

Italy vs France 2-1

SteelerDan43
07-06-2006, 12:38 PM
Current Standings

1. Christian 32
2. SteelCity 31
2. LITP 31
4. SteelerDan43 30
4. Tony 30

Livinginthe past
07-06-2006, 01:57 PM
Germany 3 Portugal 0

Italy 2 France 1

NM

Stlrs4Life
07-06-2006, 04:38 PM
Go Italia!

tony hipchest
07-07-2006, 10:32 PM
germany 1-0
italy 1-0

tony hipchest
07-09-2006, 03:56 PM
great game! thank you italy for defeating the frogs. viva italia!

brandy chastain in her sports bra is one thing but i really dont need to see these dudes celebrating on the field in their tidy whiteys. thanks for sparing us the banana hammocks. no wonder americans dont understand soccer :sofunny:

Ambridge
07-09-2006, 04:16 PM
That's a Big FU for the French. Certainly deserved of a "Nelson" Ha..Ha!!

Thank You-Italy

SteelerDan43
07-09-2006, 05:04 PM
I was away all weekend but I got Christians picks early in the morning saturday.

germany vs. portugal 3-0 (the only thing i sort of worry about is the japan ese ref. he hardly uses cards and with the way portugal played the last games they might be up for some more unfair behavior....especially if the ref doesnt do anything about it)

france vs. italy 1-0 (i dont want italy to win, and there are several reasons. first of all b/c they kicked us out. second they have already had so much luck the entire tournament. like having to play "only" australia and the ukraine on their way to the semifinals. and then they even had a ref call a penalty kick right that decided the australia game within the last seconds, and they had that last minute goal (the second one was just a consequence of the first) against us too... but the major reason why i dont want them to win is that they are talking about how juventus turin and i think even AC milan and two more top teams that cheated over the last couple of years in the italian league, wont be punished if italy wins the world cup..... have you had any coverage on that in the US? if they rul e out the laws juventus turin, AC milan and some more top teams in italy would have to move down into the third or fourth league b/c they should not get a license to play in nation wide league..... BUT like i said, the italian guys that have to decide on this issue said that they might not punish the clubs if italy wins the world cup. the offical statement is that they "dont want to force players like Cannavaro, del Piero and all the others to play in amteur leagues". thats bullshit, b/c all of those players have contracts that allow them to leave the club if the club doesnt play in the first league and has a chance to compete in international cups (like the champions league). what would probably happen is that not many of those good players are going to stay in italy b/c the only clubs that could effort to pay them would play in amateur leagues, and the italian clubs are going to suck so bad for years to come on the international level... but i kinda doubt that they will ru le out the laws even if italy doesnt win.... the italian league is so corrupt.... like, the former president of italy (berlsuconi, not sure if he is spelled like that) has been the president of AC milan and the biggest guru of all the italian media for years. i am hoping the FIFA or the UEFA (the european soccer association) will force them to rule out the laws....

SteelerDan43
07-09-2006, 05:10 PM
Final Standings

1. LITP 34 points
2. Christian 33 points
3. Tony 32 points
4. SteelerDan43 31 points
5. SteelCity 31 points

Rep to LITP!

tony hipchest
07-09-2006, 05:32 PM
Better watch out for Italy, they are pissed about all the match fixing accusations.
very prescient call made over a month ago.

litp benefitted from all us americans making the obvious homer usa pick. homer picks of poland and mexico hurt me in the early runnings but after that i gotta think i did fairly well (other than picking aginst france every time).

picking the final score of a soccer game is a hell of alot easier than picking a football game

Livinginthe past
07-10-2006, 08:49 AM
Thanks guys.

I was duty bound into a little homerism myself - couldn't pick against the England team.

Excellent competition idea SteelerDan43, and thanks for taking the time to keep scores.

Look forward to a regular season competiton - maybe one based on the spread or something.

NM