PDA

View Full Version : Mendy taking shots at Arians?

steelfury02
09-29-2011, 07:25 AM
Alright ladies and gents. I do NOT want to get the rumor mills churning. However - IMHO I think there are some peculiar things/attitudes going on in the Steelers locker room regarding both the O-line and the play calling. Combine this with Ben's comments regarding health and patchwork of O-line. I think some guys are starting to get frustrated.

Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall is on pace to rush for just under 800 yards, which would be about a 40 percent decline from a year ago.

Mendenhall, who is averaging 3.0 yards per carry, acknowledged the lack of production is "frustrating" but stressed that the team isn't panicking. The Steelers rank 23rd in the NFL in rushing.

"It's a lot bigger than one person," Mendenhall told The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. "It's a whole mindset. It's a whole attack from the top, offensive coordinator [Bruce Arians], plays that are called that matches what we have. It's a collective effort of everybody that has to be clicking to be successful."

When asked if the philosophy of a pass-first offense has hurt the running game, Mendenhall told the paper, "We're just running what's called. We're the low men on the totem pole, and we're just trying to carry out what our duties are."

Hensley's slant: This seemed like not one, but two, jabs at Arians. Remember earlier this week that a team source told The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that the run calls against the Colts looked nothing like the ones they practiced the week leading up to the game. Still, it's hard to put all the blame on the offensive coordinator when the offensive line isn't opening up running lanes.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/32403/wake-up-call-decline-of-steelers-run-game

Initial thoughts? I think Mendy will be gone if he keeps it up. We can certainly find another RB. I just don't think he has ever clicked with this set of coaches and is building a little reputation here.

Rockonsteel
09-29-2011, 08:14 AM
Alright ladies and gents. I do NOT want to get the rumor mills churning. However - IMHO I think there are some peculiar things/attitudes going on in the Steelers locker room regarding both the O-line and the play calling. Combine this with Ben's comments regarding health and patchwork of O-line. I think some guys are starting to get frustrated.

Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall is on pace to rush for just under 800 yards, which would be about a 40 percent decline from a year ago.

Mendenhall, who is averaging 3.0 yards per carry, acknowledged the lack of production is "frustrating" but stressed that the team isn't panicking. The Steelers rank 23rd in the NFL in rushing.

"It's a lot bigger than one person," Mendenhall told The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. "It's a whole mindset. It's a whole attack from the top, offensive coordinator [Bruce Arians], plays that are called that matches what we have. It's a collective effort of everybody that has to be clicking to be successful."

When asked if the philosophy of a pass-first offense has hurt the running game, Mendenhall told the paper, "We're just running what's called. We're the low men on the totem pole, and we're just trying to carry out what our duties are."

Hensley's slant: This seemed like not one, but two, jabs at Arians. Remember earlier this week that a team source told The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that the run calls against the Colts looked nothing like the ones they practiced the week leading up to the game. Still, it's hard to put all the blame on the offensive coordinator when the offensive line isn't opening up running lanes.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/32403/wake-up-call-decline-of-steelers-run-game

Initial thoughts? I think Mendy will be gone if he keeps it up. We can certainly find another RB. I just don't think he has ever clicked with this set of coaches and is building a little reputation here.

Mendy is not the one that needs to go. The village idiot is hurting this team every day he gets to decide the direction this offense goes. Mendenhall has his flaws, but he is getting no help from his retard of a an OC. Not with the long developing runs, or the predictable, moronic playcalling and certainly not by eliminating the FB, and then trying to get TEs to play like FBs. Like Mendy said, the problems start up top. And that is Bruce "Airhead" Arians. And I'll go a step further and put it on Tomlin, because he continues to idolly stand by and watch it happen. As long as he does, we're going to see the same inconsisent, non-efficient offense we're been seeing. I take that back, it's going to get progressively worse.

Rockon

madtowndrunkard
09-29-2011, 08:48 AM
I don't think he's taking shots...I think he's just telling the truth.

He's saying what everyone's been saying ever since Arians took over the offense.

steelfury02
09-29-2011, 08:50 AM
Yup. Unless the offense comes out firing and we actually blow out a team I can agree with that. If we are not getting progressively worse it is at least obvious we can't put a string of great offensive executions together whether that be games in a row or even just a couple series in a row.

Ben has been more outspoken about using the no huddle but then also stating guys aren't up to speed on it enough to use it consistently. Now Mendy's comments. I think because we have all this talent and almost a quarter through the regular season we have nothing to show for it it is starting to boil a little. We need to seriously improve in terms of both scoring, inventiveness, and more importantly - utilizing plays that cater to the strengths of the guys they have it the correct situations.

The lack of a good fullback is astounding to me. It was just like "hey it has been working so well but now I'm here and I've never used one before so why would I now." Even though Tomlin came in and purposefully didn't try to change Lebeau's defense. It is much easier to put your stamp on something but much smarter to know when not to mess with a good thing, ego or pride be damned.

Seems like some things are also coming to a head with the protection issues. Comments being made by Ben about how it always seems their O-linemen are going down compared to other teams. (I'm thinking there might be a serious conditioning issue going on there) and then Kugler, by a combination of sticking by guys for too long and mechanics should be feeling some heat.

UGH - it is so frustrating to see a great D not being complimented by at least an offense that doesn't turn the ball over and can keep the other offense off the field by burning the clock and has some red zone efficiency. Even if we were scoring a few touchdowns in a row then just field goals in the end we would still be so much better than now. DUH!

Rick5895
09-29-2011, 09:04 AM
Typically when players start"questioning" coaches in any organization in any sport things start to unravel. This will get interesting, stay tuned.

Danny136200
09-29-2011, 09:33 AM

So he says what everybody here is saying, that the Steelers are not really committed to the running game.

jjpro11
09-29-2011, 10:01 AM
Typically when players start"questioning" coaches in any organization in any sport things start to unravel. This will get interesting, stay tuned.

i'd be a bit more concerned if someone like Ben or Farrior started complaining about the coaches.. this is Mendenhall we are talking about... he's a loose cannon when it comes to talking.

Fire Arians
09-29-2011, 11:45 AM
i like mendenhall a little more now. fire arians!

Atlanta Dan
09-29-2011, 12:06 PM
Rather than start another thread regarding why the offense is horrible, i will post the link to this insightful column in the Trib-Review here

The NFL is a scoring league. The Steelers don't score enough. They have long been dependent on phenomenal defense. Isn't it time the offense stepped up, particularly with the defense looking less than phenomenal?

Did I mention the Steelers don't score enough? They're ranked 26th in points per game and only that high because the defense scored one of their six touchdowns. They have cracked the top 10 in scoring once in coordinator Bruce Arians' five years, tying for ninth in 2007....

Yeah, the line is beat up and below average. Fall's here, too. Deal with it. The Steelers have stubbornly refused to dial up reinforcements, the way Baltimore did with Bryant McKinnie, so they must believe in their people.

Roethlisberger does. He was asked yesterday how the offense might react to a Texas shootout.

"We'll be ready," he said.

The line proved it could protect Roethlisberger during a 10-point, 177-yard first quarter Sunday. But that was before Roethlisberger got careless, allowing Robert Mathis time enough to take five laps around the stadium and crash into his back, forcing a fumble that gave the Colts life.

Two turnovers later, Indy had a halftime lead...

Finally, this offense needs to find its personality. Seems obvious the quarterback and coordinator want to be a passing team. So be one. Break out the no-huddle attack that sped 60 yards for the winning field goal Sunday.

Don't abandon Mendenhall. Run to complement the pass, the way Green Bay does.

Or go out and get somebody like Vonta Leach and smash people's faces in all day. I don't care. Just score.
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/columnists/starkey/s_759292.html

If the Steelers are blown out Sunday (a definite possibility) the "who's to blame" anonymous quotes that have been coming from players (and coaches?) are going to ramp up

steelfury02
09-29-2011, 12:18 PM
Thank you - the article boils it all down very nicely.

Again - the mind scratching "Let's stop doing what has worked because I'm (Arians) supposedly too smart for my own good" has got to stop. Why would you stop doing something that has worked all by yourself. You usually do it until the other team proves it can stop it right?

Steel4ever95
09-29-2011, 02:18 PM
Rather than start another thread regarding why the offense is horrible, i will post the link to this insightful column in the Trib-Review here

The NFL is a scoring league. The Steelers don't score enough. They have long been dependent on phenomenal defense. Isn't it time the offense stepped up, particularly with the defense looking less than phenomenal?

Did I mention the Steelers don't score enough? They're ranked 26th in points per game and only that high because the defense scored one of their six touchdowns. They have cracked the top 10 in scoring once in coordinator Bruce Arians' five years, tying for ninth in 2007....

Yeah, the line is beat up and below average. Fall's here, too. Deal with it. The Steelers have stubbornly refused to dial up reinforcements, the way Baltimore did with Bryant McKinnie, so they must believe in their people.

Roethlisberger does. He was asked yesterday how the offense might react to a Texas shootout.

"We'll be ready," he said.

The line proved it could protect Roethlisberger during a 10-point, 177-yard first quarter Sunday. But that was before Roethlisberger got careless, allowing Robert Mathis time enough to take five laps around the stadium and crash into his back, forcing a fumble that gave the Colts life.

Two turnovers later, Indy had a halftime lead...

Finally, this offense needs to find its personality. Seems obvious the quarterback and coordinator want to be a passing team. So be one. Break out the no-huddle attack that sped 60 yards for the winning field goal Sunday.

Don't abandon Mendenhall. Run to complement the pass, the way Green Bay does.

Or go out and get somebody like Vonta Leach and smash people's faces in all day. I don't care. Just score.
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/columnists/starkey/s_759292.html

If the Steelers are blown out Sunday (a definite possibility) the "who's to blame" anonymous quotes that have been coming from players (and coaches?) are going to ramp up

Very nice article. It would be nice to see some more no huddle for sure, maybe to start out the game to get the defense on there heels early. When it comes down to the team needing to find its identity, its gotta be that they will run you over no matter if your the Ravens or a high school team, thats the Steelers I think we all wanna see, and you get to that by using a FB like the article mentioned, to bad Arains cant see that.

I'm not to sure if Mendenhall was taking a shot at Arians or just saying that the offense as a whole must preform better, I kind of took it that the offense in general has not lived up to expectations. If the offense continues to struggle like this and the line continues to suck as much as it has I would hope the front office makes these problems a priority in the offseason.

ricardisimo
09-29-2011, 03:26 PM
Indeed, nice article, and it calls both Ben and Arians to task, which is cool. The line is shit, we knew that coming in, and Mendenhall needs to fix his game. But Ben and Bruce are what appear to be holding this team back the most lately.

MACH1
09-29-2011, 04:13 PM
Airians is such a genius he called plays that even the offense wasn't ready for.

Buddha Bus
09-29-2011, 04:20 PM
Airians is such a genius he called plays that even the offense wasn't ready for.

Yeah. Too bad nobody told him there's a DEFENSE on the field as well. :chuckle:

Fire Haley
09-29-2011, 05:08 PM
Mendy is going back in Tomlin's doghouse with that kind of talk.

Give dancing Mewelde a shot out of the backfield on swing passes, dink and dunk the blitz teams. Something besides running it up the gut all the time. Steelers have gotten too predictible.

But Ben & his puppet Arians will have none of it.

Bomb Mecca

Rick5895
09-29-2011, 05:14 PM

Give dancing Mewelde a shot out of the backfield on swing passes, dink and dunk the blitz teams. Something besides running it up the gut all the time. Steelers have gotten too predictible.

But Ben & his puppet Arians will have none of it. We're a finesse passing team now, get over it.

Hey diddle diddle, ...Rogel up the middle!! :rofl:

fer522
09-29-2011, 05:15 PM
i like mendenhall a little more now. fire arians!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Fire Haley
09-29-2011, 05:23 PM
"As far as the run game, it's a lot bigger than one person, than the offensive line. It's a whole mindset; it's a whole attack starting from the top, the offensive coordinator, the plays that are called, the matchups we have. It's a collective effort of everybody that has to be clicking to be productive."[

Did Mendy just call out Tomlin?

Where's old man Rooney?

Atlanta Dan
09-29-2011, 05:29 PM
"As far as the run game, it's a lot bigger than one person, than the offensive line. It's a whole mindset; it's a whole attack starting from the top, the offensive coordinator, the plays that are called, the matchups we have. It's a collective effort of everybody that has to be clicking to be productive."[

Did Mendy just call out Tomlin?

Where's old man Rooney?

Mendy might need to recall what happened the last time a running back said the Steelers needed to commit to the run

Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin was not happy with comments made by two-time Pro Bowl running back Willie Parker, saying they could be misinterpreted as uninformed and selfish, and said he told Parker and all the players about it today in a team meeting.

"The issue for us has been, is and hopefully will continue to be winning -- that's my interpretation of Steelers football," Tomlin said. "Every morning I come to work I walk past five Lombardis, not five rushing titles. The issue is winning."

Parker said yesterday that the offense, which ranks 20th in the NFL in rushing, has gotten away from "Steelers football" and that the two-tight end offense used by offensive coordinator Bruce Arians is not effective for running the ball....

Do we need to get better in terms of running the football? Absolutely," Tomlin said. "And the reason is this -- because it increases our chances of winning.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08346/934535-100.stm

Parker was on the bench the next season:chuckle:

MACH1
09-29-2011, 05:43 PM
You should see them. :chuckle:

http://www.herdhaven.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/CircleTheWagons.jpg

ricardisimo
09-29-2011, 07:26 PM
Mendy might need to recall what happened the last time a running back said the Steelers needed to commit to the run

Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin was not happy with comments made by two-time Pro Bowl running back Willie Parker, saying they could be misinterpreted as uninformed and selfish, and said he told Parker and all the players about it today in a team meeting.

"The issue for us has been, is and hopefully will continue to be winning -- that's my interpretation of Steelers football," Tomlin said. "Every morning I come to work I walk past five Lombardis, not five rushing titles. The issue is winning."

Parker said yesterday that the offense, which ranks 20th in the NFL in rushing, has gotten away from "Steelers football" and that the two-tight end offense used by offensive coordinator Bruce Arians is not effective for running the ball....

Do we need to get better in terms of running the football? Absolutely," Tomlin said. "And the reason is this -- because it increases our chances of winning.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08346/934535-100.stm

Parker was on the bench the next season:chuckle:
Parker was criticizing a Steelers team that would go 12-4 and eventually win the Super Bowl. Obviously he was just pissed that Mewelde Moore was almost as big a part of the offense as he was. And obviously Tomlin had a right to tell him to sit down and shut up.

If you're suggesting that this year's team is going to go 12-4 and eventually win the title, I'd like to know where you're getting your drugs. There are profound problems with this offense, and the lack of a running game is just the most obvious symptom.

Steel4ever95
09-29-2011, 07:26 PM
Mendy

Bomb Mecca

The dink and dunk idea, really isnt that bad imo. The Pats ran a lot of short routes down the field in Brady's first few years as the starter, those plays really were there running plays. The short quick passes would also save Ben from getting murdered, and could set up a few bombs for Wallace. I really dont see this happening but its something that could work....maybe.

Atlanta Dan
09-29-2011, 08:05 PM
Parker was criticizing a Steelers team that would go 12-4 and eventually win the Super Bowl. Obviously he was just pissed that Mewelde Moore was almost as big a part of the offense as he was. And obviously Tomlin had a right to tell him to sit down and shut up.

If you're suggesting that this year's team is going to go 12-4 and eventually win the title, I'd like to know where you're getting your drugs. There are profound problems with this offense, and the lack of a running game is just the most obvious symptom.

I am suggesting that the last time a running back popped off about the running game Tomlin slapped him down hard - you will note I concluded my post by noting Parker lost his job after 2008, not that the Steelers won the Super Bowl that season

Nothing in my post says anything about this year's team being bound for Super Bowl glory (although with this schedule the only regular season game in which the Steelers probably will not be favored after this Sunday will be New England)

The Steelers will lose some of the games in which they are favored, but although I know the sky is falling a worst case scenario for this team with this schedule probably is 10-6

WickedSteel
09-29-2011, 08:14 PM
I am suggesting that the last time a running back popped off about the running game Tomlin slapped him down hard - you will note I concluded my post by noting Parker lost his job after 2008, not that the Steelers won the Super Bowl that season

Nothing in my post says anything about this year's team being bound for Super Bowl glory (although with this schedule the only regular season game in which the Steelers probably will not be favored after this Sunday will be New England)

The Steelers will lose some of the games in which they are favored, but although I know the sky is falling a worst case scenario for this team with this schedule probably is 10-6

Ha. If the Steelers continue to stink it up bad on offense this Sunday, they will not be favored in any game the rest of the season. Seriously, they look like the Raiders of a few years ago who couldn't get anything going out there.

Atlanta Dan
09-29-2011, 08:32 PM
Ha. If the Steelers continue to stink it up bad on offense this Sunday, they will not be favored in any game the rest of the season. Seriously, they look like the Raiders of a few years ago who couldn't get anything going out there.

Yeah - they are going to be underdogs at home to the Bengals, Jaguars, and Browns

Consider putting down the crack pipe before your next post

WickedSteel
09-29-2011, 08:49 PM
Hmm, Cleveland and Cincy rank higher than the Steelers in scoring with Jacksonville only being slightly behind. They are also ahead of the Steelers in rushing. They are all in the top 10 in passing defense. Cincy and Jacksonville are also ahead of the Steelers in rush defense.

Through 3 weeks now the Steelers have played one good team in Baltimore and two teams in shambles in Seattle and Indy. They did ok against Seattle by shutting them out but the offense still sputtered. They barely beat Indy, a team that Cleveland ran all over a week earlier.

tony hipchest
09-29-2011, 09:06 PM

Bomb Mecca

no doubt.

may it rain hail marys upon thine enemy like a meteor shower....

hWapkENMp94&feature=related

leave the hip-hop dance classes and poetry to Bel Biv Devoe.