PDA

View Full Version : Drop 11 or hit the dirt

Hayeksheroes
09-29-2011, 03:09 PM
It will be interesting to watch if the Steelers D can effectively counter the chop block.
So far, they have not be able to do it. Chop blocks are legal if they happen within 3 yards of the line of scrimmage. So dropping back all 11 players would render the chop block ineffective and might draw a penalty. And the steelers might also give up a ton of yardage to the RB.

Another counter is to get lower than your opponent. The idea behind the chop block is the first lineman raises you up and the second line cuts out your legs. To prevent that, just hit the dirt, like an army soldier and perhaps the two linemen will crash into each other.

For other methods to counter the chopblock click here.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/421045-how-to-stop-a-chop-block-in-football/

BGSU A Dub
09-29-2011, 03:35 PM
I think this rule needs to be looked at and addressed. It is incredibly dangerous to allow players to legally dive at other players' knees.

If Tom or Peyton played D-line, there would have been a rule 2 years ago.

BIGNASTY91
09-29-2011, 04:24 PM
It will be interesting to watch if the Steelers D can effectively counter the chop block.
So far, they have not be able to do it. Chop blocks are legal if they happen within 3 yards of the line of scrimmage. So dropping back all 11 players would render the chop block ineffective and might draw a penalty. And the steelers might also give up a ton of yardage to the RB.

Another counter is to get lower than your opponent. The idea behind the chop block is the first lineman raises you up and the second line cuts out your legs. To prevent that, just hit the dirt, like an army soldier and perhaps the two linemen will crash into each other.

For other methods to counter the chopblock click here.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/421045-how-to-stop-a-chop-block-in-football/

Someone needs to send that link to the defense!!! :tt03:

steeltheone
09-29-2011, 05:11 PM
Hampton and Smith can barely move as it is...Hampton is fat and slow and Smith has a 55 year old body.

harrison'samonster
09-29-2011, 08:02 PM
I'm still confused, I thought the chop block was always illegal. Is this a new rule change?

This rule does need to be addressed. If this league is really concerned about safety, which they want us to believe, then it will be changed. If however, this league is actually concerned with making this game suck, which I truly believe, then they will keep rules like this that favor high scoring games.