PDA

View Full Version : Wallace: NFL's Fastest Receiver?

Bayz101
09-29-2011, 09:54 PM
PITTSBURGH (AP) — Even if it might just be his greatest asset, Mike Wallace does little to help his own cause.
The Steelers third-year receiver just can't help himself. To him, hey, "An apple is an apple. You know what I'm saying?"
Wallace tells anyone who asks he's the fastest player in the NFL.
"I've always been feeling like that," Wallace said, matter-of-factly. "I'm still feeling like that, and I don't see anything changing."
Opposing cornerbacks who have faced him won't argue. After an electrifying five-catch, 144-yard performance in a 23-20 win in Indianapolis on Sunday that included a career-long 81-yard touchdown, Wallace is second in the NFL in receiving yards and tied for third in receptions.
The secret might be getting out on Wallace emerging as one of the league's best receivers. And Wallace does little to keep his 4.2-speed quiet, either. The irony is that it's the surprise factor that some say has helped Wallace run past so many defensive backs in his first three seasons as a pro.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gRj_6ipgzsmHbaBwH7mNg3UlAAPA?docId=a2185d2fb 75643b28d7b0cb6cb53b6e3

Fire Arians
09-29-2011, 10:05 PM
without a doubt he's the fastest there is. i wanna see a race between him and chris johnson

mizzouristeeler
09-29-2011, 10:13 PM
without a doubt he's the fastest there is. i wanna see a race between him and chris johnson

Or desean jackson

Steeldude
09-29-2011, 10:14 PM

johnson looks slow this year. didn't he just get his raise? that's probably why

tony hipchest
09-29-2011, 10:14 PM
the only suprise is how the hell the raiders didnt draft him in the 1st round.

heres a jim rome tweet from last sundays game-

jimrome

Bob Sanders ain't walking through that door either, Colts fan. And there's no catching Mike Wallace. Fastest man in the league. Ask him.

ricardisimo
09-29-2011, 10:16 PM
Or Heyward-Bey, the WR drafted 3,000 spots ahead of him, based solely on his straight-line speed.

DanRooney
09-29-2011, 11:28 PM
"one-trick pony."

"desean jackson is better."

tony hipchest
09-29-2011, 11:44 PM
"one-trick pony."

-famous last words of thumper.

now theres a poster who deserved to be banned for nothing more than his complete idiotness.

ricardisimo
09-29-2011, 11:58 PM
"one-trick pony."

"Two-trick pony"

"Wes Welker is better."

Just thought I'd preempt some of our less enthused board members.

tony hipchest
09-30-2011, 12:08 AM
"Two-trick pony"

Wes Welker is better."

Just thought I'd preempt some of our less enthused board members.

good call.

it wont be long before one of our disinfranchised steelerfans starts a thread stating why wes welker is more deserving of the HOF than old man, washed up, should be benched, hines ward.

....and THEN stating he's why the patriots will kick the steelers ass later in the season.

i dont think ike has ever shadowed welker. id rather have ryan clark on him anyways.

belichick will probably have tom brady on wallace to eliminate his threat.

Aussie Steeler
09-30-2011, 03:45 AM
Haha gotta love that arrogance!!

And to the guys above; it would have been fairly accurate to have described Wallace a one-trick pony up until around the second half of last year where he really started developing his routes. This year's been exceptional and this kid will keep getting better.

kirklandrules
09-30-2011, 08:06 AM
it wont be long before one of our disinfranchised steelerfans starts a thread stating why wes welker is more deserving of the HOF than old man, washed up, should be benched, hines ward.

Tony, are you telling us that you'd rather have a crafty veteran who still runs excellent routes, is the best blocking WR in the league, knows how to read the defense and find the seams, has great hands and is still reliable for getting that key first down ... instead of replacing him with a young guy that has "potential", who decides to jump over a db that just picked off a pass thereby allowing another 25 yards in a tight game? And you would also have us believe the coaching staff is doing everything they can to win games (which is the one key metric for their employment) and not just falling for loyalty of a beloved player? (end heavy sarcasm now)

It's funny how some "fans" spend more energy sh!tting on the team and it's decisions than actually enjoying one of the best franchises in the sport. It's good to question or have differing opinions, but you really have to wonder when you see an abundance of negativity toward a team that has enjoyed great success.

Atlanta Dan
09-30-2011, 08:36 AM
Steelers could be sandbagging, but Wallace probably will not be the fastest WR in the league this weekend with a rib cartliage injury that will require him to wear a flak jacket

FanSince72
09-30-2011, 10:09 AM
Haha gotta love that arrogance!!

And to the guys above; it would have been fairly accurate to have described Wallace a one-trick pony up until around the second half of last year where he really started developing his routes. This year's been exceptional and this kid will keep getting better.

There you go!

Wallace is developing and he's getting better as time goes by.

Did Wes Welker enter the league fully formed and fully able to do what he does now? Did Jackson?

No.

They, like everyone else took time to develop.
Whether Wallace is the fastest is really of no concern to me because it's always been more about WHAT you do as a receiver than HOW FAST you do it and I think Wallace (barring injury) will one day be spoken of in the same conversation with Swann, Stallworth, Rice and many of the other "best ever" receivers in the game.

madtowndrunkard
09-30-2011, 11:00 AM
Could you imagine how bad our offense would be with out Wallace?

Wallace is drawing safety help on every deep route. He will continue to get more attention as he lights up defenses with big plays. This should be helping the run game and short passing game if our OC would maybe try to disguise our pass plays. You can pretty much call every steeler play when they lineup.... it's like we are saying - it's coming what you going to do about it? Well we aren't good enough to do that. Either Arians is arrogant or stupid. (my guess is both)

Wallabeast17
09-30-2011, 11:05 AM
Steelers could be sandbagging, but Wallace probably will not be the fastest WR in the league this weekend with a rib cartliage injury that will require him to wear a flak jacket

I thought I heard (or read) somewhere he wasn't going to wear one..?

cloppbeast
09-30-2011, 11:31 AM
Tony, are you telling us that you'd rather have a crafty veteran who still runs excellent routes, is the best blocking WR in the league, knows how to read the defense and find the seams, has great hands and is still reliable for getting that key first down

I wish those excelent routes, good hands, defensieve reads would net some results. Through 3 games he has 12 catches (half of which have probably come from bubble screens) for 117 yards, putting him on pace for 468 yards and 48 receptions. Granted, 5 of those receptions earned first downs, but Emmanuel Sanders also has 5 first downs.

Antonio Brown has 10 receptions for 156 yards and 7 first downs, and he's probably seen half as many plays as Hines. I wouldn't doubt most of Hines catches have come when Brown sat on the sideline, also.

I'd personally rather see the best player on the field. I'll give you that Hines blocks better, but I don't see what the value in WR blocking for a RB who doesn't even get passed the LOS. Maybe they should just put in Hines when Redman is in the backfield.

Look, I love Hines Ward. I appreciate everything he's done for this franchise. I love the way he plays the game. He's one of my favorite players of all time. He's probably the franchise's greatest reciever. He'd get in the HOF on the first ballot if it were up to me.

With that said, nobody can play forever, especially the way Hines has played his entire 14 year career. I want nothing more than him to get his 10,000 receptions. I'd personally rather the Steelers sacrafice some skill at WR for Hines to get there.

But if you ask me what the Steelers should do to win, then I'd have to say sit Hines. He's probably the 3rd or 4th best WR on the team.

... instead of replacing him with a young guy that has "potential", who decides to jump over a db that just picked off a pass thereby allowing another 25 yards in a tight game?

Sanders has made some mistakes. He had a huge drop against the Colts, and made a poor decision to jump over that guy. But you can't seriously suggest Hines is better solely on that play. They play WR, not LB. Tackling ablity shouldn't recieve much consideration.

Perhaps we should just ask our $100 million quarterback not to make terrible throws. Just a suggestion.

In this offense, I still say Sanders fits better. If Arians was smart enought to incorporate a Wes Welker type of role in this offense, I'd be all about it. Hines would fill that role perfectly. But frankly, I don't see that happening.

And you would also have us believe the coaching staff is doing everything they can to win games (which is the one key metric for their employment) and not just falling for loyalty of a beloved player? (end heavy sarcasm now)

Yes, I would.

Perhaps you missed Arians quote where he said he keeps Mendy in on goal-line plays because he deserves the TD.

For Arians winning is a key metric for his employment; fortunately for him whether he implements a good offense or not, apparently has little to do with whether his team wins. Evidenced by his 2 Super Bowl appearences while never actually implementing a good offense.

It's funny how some "fans" spend more energy sh!tting on the team and it's decisions than actually enjoying one of the best franchises in the sport. It's good to question or have differing opinions, but you really have to wonder when you see an abundance of negativity toward a team that has enjoyed great success.

Some fans just call it like they see it. Sometimes they see it positively, other times they see it negatively. Personally, I'm not just going to be positive all the time just because they've won a lot. What happened the last 10 years has nothing to do with happens this year.

kirklandrules
09-30-2011, 12:04 PM
Perhaps you missed Arians quote where he said he keeps Mendy in on goal-line plays because he deserves the TD.

What Arians actually said was that they pulled Mendy because he bounced outside on a prior play that called for him to run up the middle. After seeing the tape, they found he made the right move to the outside and they should not have pulled him ... he did deserve it. Here's his quote so you get the context ...

"That's Rashard's job. There was one play [against the Seahawks], he bounced the play outside and he actually made the right read. We took him out because he didn't hit it straight up in there, but he was right, we should have left him in there.

"He's done too good a job inside the 5. That goal-line run against Seattle where he spun and hit it, that was a great job. No, that's his job."

For Arians winning is a key metric for his employment; fortunately for him whether he implements a good offense or not, apparently has little to do with whether his team wins. Evidenced by his 2 Super Bowl appearences while never actually implementing a good offense.

Look, I'm not a huge fan of Arians (don't even get me started about the lack of a true FB on this team), but I do believe the guy puts his best into making the right substitutions to give the team the best chance to win and that he truely believes in his play calls. I just don't buy that he plays favorites. Brown and Sanders have awesome talent and will no doubt be #2 & #3 next year (or maybe later this year).

Some fans just call it like they see it. Sometimes they see it positively, other times they see it negatively. Personally, I'm not just going to be positive all the time just because they've won a lot. What happened the last 10 years has nothing to do with happens this year.
The past 10 years? How about since 1970? You seem to think this franchise has suddenly fallen off a cliff this year? Hell, I remember the 3-4 start of the '95 season when it looked like the Steelers appeared totally inept. Although they lost to the Cowboys in the SB that year, our team was still playing in the final game when most others were on the golf course. Hey, I have plenty of opinions, but the complaint department is well secured by a few posters (probably multiple accounts under one person ... Thumper reincarnated).

cloppbeast
09-30-2011, 12:19 PM
Look, I'm not a huge fan of Arians (don't even get me started about the lack of a true FB on this team), but I do believe the guy puts his best into making the right substitutions to give the team the best chance to win and that he truely believes in his play calls. I just don't buy that he plays favorites. Brown and Sanders have awesome talent and will no doubt be #2 & #3 next year (or maybe later this year).

Either way, we make an assumption.

Often, we assume these coaches are infallible, but actually they're people like everybody else. Just like any other boss, he could possibly play favorites. We've all had bosses who do. Neither you, nor I know whether Arians would or wouldn't play favorites. We just guess.

We've all read the articles of former Steelers players suggesting Cowher and Tomlin both treated Ben differently than other players. Coaches do it sometimes, and there's really no way for fans to know either way.

So, for the sake of this discussion, we should at least consider the possiblity Arains could play favorites, because we really don't know.

The past 10 years? How about since 1970? You seem to think this franchise has suddenly fallen off a cliff this year?

I don't discredit what this franchise has accomplished through the years. The past success doesn't ensure future succes, that's all.

Hell, I remember the 3-4 start of the '95 season when it looked like the Steelers appeared totally inept. Although they lost to the Cowboys in the SB that year, our team was still playing in the final game when most others were on the golf course

I really enjoyed the '95 season. They made me proud.

This is 2011.

Hey, I have plenty of opinions, but the complaint department is well secured by a few posters

I don't think they're very good. That's my opinion. I admit that I hope I'm wrong, but my opinion is what it is. I call it like I see it, and I'm not a bad fan for doing so.

This is a forum, which I thought was a place to discuss our opinions. Apparently, it's just a place where fans discuss how their team is better than everybody else, even dispite contrary evidence.

This is the first year I can recall ever complaining about the Steelers, at least in this decade. I've had no reason to complain untill now because they've always been good.

ETL
10-01-2011, 03:44 PM
i thought ike was faster than Wallace

DanRooney
10-01-2011, 04:00 PM
Tony, are you telling us that you'd rather have a crafty veteran who still runs excellent routes, is the best blocking WR in the league, knows how to read the defense and find the seams, has great hands and is still reliable for getting that key first down ... instead of replacing him with a young guy that has "potential", who decides to jump over a db that just picked off a pass thereby allowing another 25 yards in a tight game? And you would also have us believe the coaching staff is doing everything they can to win games (which is the one key metric for their employment) and not just falling for loyalty of a beloved player? (end heavy sarcasm now)

Emmanuel Sanders made a rookie mistake. Probably because he's getting playing time like a rookie. You also have to remember that Hines Ward, the guy who's "better than Andre Johnson," had a total of 6 yards through 50 minutes of game time. And this is a guy playing for the ENTIRE GAME without leaving for 1 snap. The other 11 yards came from a pass that Emmanuel Sanders threw...

Wallace and Brown on the outside (#1 and #2) with Emmanuel Sanders/Hines Ward rotating in the slot would be great. You also don't realize that Sanders is a great blocker as well. You act as if Hines is the only receiver in the league that can block.

tony hipchest
10-01-2011, 04:27 PM
Emmanuel Sanders made a rookie mistake. Probably because he's getting playing time like a rookie. You also have to remember that Hines Ward, the guy who's "better than Andre Johnson," had a total of 6 yards through 50 minutes of game time. And this is a guy playing for the ENTIRE GAME without leaving for 1 snap. The other 11 yards came from a pass that Emmanuel Sanders threw...

Wallace and Brown on the outside (#1 and #2) with Emmanuel Sanders/Hines Ward rotating in the slot would be great. You also don't realize that Sanders is a great blocker as well. You act as if Hines is the only receiver in the league that can block.

atleast get your facts straight before you go off with your misdirected anger.

outta 68 snaps-

miller- 66
hines-56
wallace- 47
sanders- 37
brown- 35

maybe you and manny should be so mad at miller for stealing his snaps. he was only targeted about 7 times for a team leading 5 receptions.

maybe you and manny should just worry about beating out another 2nd year receiver drafted 3 rounds later, who is being treated like a rookie and getting even fewer snaps, but seems to have no problem pulling in 4 receptions for 75 yards.

mannys problem isnt hines ward who is still the best blocking wr the nfl has ever seen (thats not just my opinion- thats the opinion of his peers and all the professionals who will be casting votes for his induction to the HOF in 5-10 years).

mannys time will come. unfortunately it will not be soon enough for a message board jockey who pretends to be the team owner.

oh well.

heres a hint- people who misrepresent everybodys stance and takes (nobody thinks hines ward is better than andrae johnson), and cant even bring the simplest of obvious facts to the table to support their own, will always be seen as invalid and somebody who is just spewing BS.

DanRooney
10-01-2011, 05:03 PM
atleast get your facts straight before you go off with your misdirected anger.

outta 68 snaps-

miller- 66
hines-56
wallace- 47
sanders- 37
brown- 35

maybe you and manny should be so mad at miller for stealing his snaps. he was only targeted about 7 times for a team leading 5 receptions.

maybe you and manny should just worry about beating out another 2nd year receiver drafted 3 rounds later, who is being treated like a rookie and getting even fewer snaps, but seems to have no problem pulling in 4 receptions for 75 yards.

mannys problem isnt hines ward who is still the best blocking wr the nfl has ever seen (thats not just my opinion- thats the opinion of his peers and all the professionals who will be casting votes for his induction to the HOF in 5-10 years).

mannys time will come. unfortunately it will not be soon enough for a message board jockey who pretends to be the team owner.

oh well.

heres a hint- people who misrepresent everybodys stance and takes (nobody thinks hines ward is better than andrae johnson), and cant even bring the simplest of obvious facts to the table to support their own, will always be seen as invalid and somebody who is just spewing BS.

I wouldn't say nobody. I've heard it from 3 people on this forum lol. 56 out of 68 snaps...I'm guessing he was off the field for the hurry up and the victory formation at the end of the game. Still 20 more snaps than Manny is a bit much. Miller is irrelevant to the discussion. He should be on the field at all times since he is a good TE on a poor blocking team.

There's no anger here. I'm actually not big on Sanders anyway. I'm more of a Brown fan as you saw all through my offseason/preseason hype. But I would like to see equal reps between him and Ward. Especially seeing as how this is Sanders' second year.

ricardisimo
10-01-2011, 05:28 PM
I think we should just leave it at "We've got arguably the best collection of young receivers in the league right now, along with a probable future HoFer - who's still producing - to help them develop." What's to argue about here?

Our passing game is not exactly suffering right now. Our rushing game is. So I'm not sure why would would argue that Ward should be pulled in favor of either Sanders or Brown. That's the odd part for me.

tony hipchest
10-01-2011, 05:44 PM
I wouldn't say nobody. I've heard it from 3 people on this forum lol. 56 out of 68 snaps...I'm guessing he was off the field for the hurry up and the victory formation at the end of the game. Still 20 more snaps than Manny is a bit much. Miller is irrelevant to the discussion. He should be on the field at all times since he is a good TE on a poor blocking team.

There's no anger here. I'm actually not big on Sanders anyway. I'm more of a Brown fan as you saw all through my offseason/preseason hype. But I would like to see equal reps between him and Ward. Especially seeing as how this is Sanders' second year.

there is no doubt that brown and sanders have all the physical tools it takes for this league, but what you fail to acknowledge is the mental aspect of the game (as seen by sanders not tagging a guy down on the ground).

they are 2nd year players who have missed a complete off season, and another 4 games with their qb being suspended in their rookie season. they are behind the curve yet still playing amazing ball for such young players.

back to the mental aspect-

hines ward typically only leaves the field for a blow, injury or in the case of vs colts, when the steelers utilize '13' or '22' personnel package (3TE's).

the steelers will not change the playbook just to accommodate two second year players. for them to steal snaps from hines they must know every wr's role on every personnel grouping. theres no way they know all of hines wards assignments. hell, mike wallace is just now learning to read the defenses and run hot routes.

hines ward knows all this (for the X, Y, and Z positions) like the back of his hand.

teams have 45 seconds to switch personnel, get lined up, make possible adjustments, and/or audible if needed.

the kids simply arent ready for more to be put on their plate than they are already chewing on.

i cant say this is football 101. it is more like 400 level.

DanRooney
10-01-2011, 06:35 PM
I think we should just leave it at "We've got arguably the best collection of young receivers in the league right now, along with a probable future HoFer - who's still producing - to help them develop." What's to argue about here?

Our passing game is not exactly suffering right now. Our rushing game is. So I'm not sure why would would argue that Ward should be pulled in favor of either Sanders or Brown. That's the odd part for me.

The first part is true but I feel like we can be a lot more explosive if Sanders is on the field more. We're not exactly lighting teams up in the passing game. We have 3 TDs by our receivers in 3 games.

I'm not saying take Ward out completely. We just need to use a little less of him in favor of some of our guys that can make big plays when they get their hands on the ball.

And Ward may know the playbook at all of the WR positions inside and out, but he doesn't line up on the outside anymore. He hasn't for a couple of years now. He's pretty much exclusively a slot guy.

ricardisimo
10-01-2011, 07:41 PM
The first part is true but I feel like we can be a lot more explosive if Sanders is on the field more. We're not exactly lighting teams up in the passing game. We have 3 TDs by our receivers in 3 games.

I'm not saying take Ward out completely. We just need to use a little less of him in favor of some of our guys that can make big plays when they get their hands on the ball.

And Ward may know the playbook at all of the WR positions inside and out, but he doesn't line up on the outside anymore. He hasn't for a couple of years now. He's pretty much exclusively a slot guy.
We are explosive in the passing game. Unfortunately, that's all we are. A little more consistency, and some more shots in the middle of the field (which is, specifically, Ward's forté) would be nice.

And the accepted truism that Ward is exclusively a slot receiver doesn't seem to be true. Every time I see him on the field he is in one of three positions, conveniently telegraphing our play to the opposing team:

in motion (running play towards the side he's running;)
tight up against the line (running play;)
out wide, more than half of his plays (pass play)

Look at the last game, including the very first play to Wallace. He's wide right. I think he was in the slot about five or six times all game (including the long bomb to Wallace).

JPPT1974
10-01-2011, 08:17 PM
johnson looks slow this year. didn't he just get his raise? that's probably why

That happens a lot when you do get a raise. You have a bad year.:doh: