PDA

View Full Version : Offensive line Problems & Houston thinks this one will be a cake walk...

PeterC042
10-02-2011, 05:45 AM
Some ragging on our offensive like here (http://thexlog.com/201110020628/xtra-point-football/nfl/nfl-game-previews-week-4-easy-like-sunday-morning/). We need to shore this up.

Also, Houston fans obviously think this will be a cake walk (http://thexlog.com/201110020628/xtra-point-football/nfl/nfl-scout-talk-houston-texans-in-depth/).

Brett Cottrell
10-02-2011, 09:24 AM
Won't be a cakewalk, but if I were the Texan defensive front, I'd be excited.

Atlanta Dan
10-02-2011, 10:58 AM
Interesting observation from Ed.B. of the P-G

I don't think there will be a dropoff in the Steelers offensive line at either left tackle with Trai Essex or at right guard with Ramon Foster. Both have been there before and, in fact, Foster won that starting job in the middle of last season.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers

I guess the one advantage of having a horrible O-line is that there is not much drop-off between the starters (excluding Pouncey) and the back-ups:noidea:

FWIW Bouchette picked the Steelers to lose this game at the start of the season and is sticking with that prediction today - he thinks the D is going to get torched in a 31-24 Houston win

StainlessStill
10-02-2011, 11:08 AM
Some ragging on our offensive like here (http://thexlog.com/201110020628/xtra-point-football/nfl/nfl-game-previews-week-4-easy-like-sunday-morning/). We need to shore this up.

Also, Houston fans obviously think this will be a cake walk (http://thexlog.com/201110020628/xtra-point-football/nfl/nfl-scout-talk-houston-texans-in-depth/).

They have every right to be. In fact, if they come out and perform anywhere CLOSE than what they did last week, then I think Houston wipes the floor with us. Lucky for us, it's a new week and we are as a resilient bunch as any in the NFL.

The Steelers are never out but we can't even get out of the way of ourselves at this point in time let alone going up against a team that could score. Hopefully these Texans fans realize and see how good we really are, even playing this badly.

FanSince72
10-02-2011, 11:37 AM
Maybe Arians will finally enter the world of reality and realize that with his present O-line leaking like a sieve, he might want to consider using the passing talents of his 9-figure QB and the promising talents of his young receivers.

In other words; THROW THE DAMNED BALL!!!

Use the pass to set up the run and all the other cliched yak yak and play to our strengths instead of denying our weaknesses.
Maybe at some point in the future we'll be able to develop a good running game, but we don't have that now and I wish Arians would stop pretending that we do.

It's MacGyver time and that means it's time to use what's available and right now we have many healthy and eager receivers and a QB who loves to throw the ball.

Seems like a no-brainer to me.

PhantomJB93
10-02-2011, 12:16 PM
Well so far it looks like a cakewalk for their offense right now...we haven't stopped them once...ugh

StainlessStill
10-02-2011, 12:22 PM
I'll be watching this game watching through the cracks of my fingers. What an embarrassing start, all on the ground. Doesn't get more pathetic than that.

TXSteel
10-02-2011, 12:36 PM
they better do somehting about this oline or ben's in for a short career. They are pathetic.

ZoneBlitzer
10-02-2011, 12:36 PM
It's a cake-walk.

stb_steeler
10-02-2011, 12:37 PM
Looks like the nightmare is true......

ZoneBlitzer
10-02-2011, 12:39 PM
It's time that the FO draft athletic intelligent linemen instead of the fattest and strongest guy out there.

effyou515
10-02-2011, 01:45 PM
this isn't Steelers football getting blown off the ball on offense and defense. terrible just terrible.

right now l'm seeing the Steelers getting a to 10 pick in next years draft.

GunnerB
10-02-2011, 10:02 PM
Our O-line has been barely adequate for many years. This year they are just plain abysmal. Individual players and there ability to make things happen has overshadowed this fact in the past seasons where we were successful.

Sack rates for Bens peers from his draft class.

Rivers: 147

Manning: 176

Ben: 283

Though not in Ben's draft class, I think these numbers bear relevance to the argument:

Brady: 247, with four more seasons under his belt.

I don't buy into Ben holding the football abnormally long. Some of that is a product of him HAVING to leave the pocket to keep the play alive. Our line sucks. While our defense appears to have lost some fire this year, our O should be putting up more than 20 points a game. Probably more. You can't put up points if your QB is sacked or hurried as much as Ben is.

Piss poor job by the FO and HC in getting sustaining the O-line.

Mendy can't even get to the line of scrimmage before he the play is broken. Hell he is running into our own lineman half the time because they are in the backfield.

The bad part, beyond the obvious, is that you don't fix an O-line that is as bad as our is across the spectrum in one year.