PDA

View Full Version : Week 4 Post Game Thread: Good, Bad, Ugly...Puke?

SteelCityMom
10-02-2011, 03:00 PM
Yeah...the game sucked. The seasons not looking good, and I know you all have something to say about it.

Keep your bitching here though please...most will probably be redundant (we know what the issues are).

Receivers had a good game (for what it's worth). Brown and Wallace continue to show promise.

Ben is a tough SOB. Everything else aside, you can't deny that.

OL and defense pretty much suck right now. I get that.

Post your (uncensored) thoughts here though!

DanRooney
10-02-2011, 03:02 PM
****ing disgusting game. Our offensive weapons are irrelevant with that offensive line. Ben doesn't have time to find open receivers, Mendenhall is running like a scared chicken so bad that he gets benched...enough is enough Tomlin. This is all on you. What a failure to address the OL.

Steel_Bus_24
10-02-2011, 03:03 PM
Our guys just sat around and ate Doughnuts all off-season

I guess they think its in their contracts that they get to take years off.....FO included

DanRooney
10-02-2011, 03:03 PM
And on defense, it's the usual suspects:

1. James Farrior
2. Aaron Smith
3. Lamarr Woodley (!)

DoctorCAD
10-02-2011, 03:04 PM
You hit it right on the head.

Ben would be in the hospital if he were any other man.

Both lines blow, but most of us know that.

Texans are NOT as good as they think they are. One Hail Mary pass from tying the game, forcing yet another epic fail.

TENN for next week is not looking good either.

SteelCurtain5643
10-02-2011, 03:04 PM
This offensive line is the worst goddamn thing I've seen in years. Ben has absolutely no time to do anything because as soon as the ball is snapped defenders are there. It's ridiculous. They really need to figure something out or this is gonna be a long season.

Corey_J
10-02-2011, 03:05 PM
That O line was as bad as the D line......absolutley man handled at the point of attack. They better fix some shit or this season is doomed !

steelers33
10-02-2011, 03:05 PM
Hell yes it will be redundant, offensive line I say no words. D front seven gave up 150 yards rushing and got little pressure on Schaub. D front seven is old, while the secondary may possibly be getting better. O-line a problem because of lack of quality from drafting and injuries.

casteeler
10-02-2011, 03:06 PM
How about Redman? Mendy take a seat, even with the WORST offensive line in the NFL Redman looked strong

DanRooney
There's no sugarcoating this game. I really don't want to hear we were only down by 7 because by the grace of God, the Texans kept shooting themselves in the foot. This game was dominated by them.

Sign Flozell. I don't care what it takes. Give him a huge bonus to get under the cap.

Exordium
Steelers are on the downswing. We'll miss the playoffs this year, next year will be "rebuilding", hopefully the year after we'll be competitive. We've had a good couple of years.

SteelCityMom
10-02-2011, 03:07 PM
I'm so disappointed in Woodley too. I've followed him on FB for about a year (which is fun, and hopeful lol), and of course as a player...but he is just not bringing anything right now.

Out of all the defensive players, he's the one that should have the perfect mix of youth and experience...and it just hasn't shown with him at all yet.

SteelCityMom
10-02-2011, 03:08 PM
How about Redman? Mendy take a seat, even with the WORST offensive line in the NFL Redman looked strong

Yes...I didn't think about Redman. He's always impressed me though. I think I just expect him to do well lol.

MACH1
10-02-2011, 03:09 PM
Steelers are on the downswing. We'll miss the playoffs this year, next year will be "rebuilding", hopefully the year after we'll be competitive. We've had a good couple of years.

Arians signs a new 5 year deal.

:couch:

SteelCityMom
10-02-2011, 03:10 PM

Well...I get what you're saying, and you very well may be right. But I kind of felt the same way after the '09 season. That was just a season smushed in between SB appearances that everyone would prefer to forget (mostly on defense). It might take a year of two to rebuild, or they might come out like gangbusters next season and tear the league apart. Who knows?

DanRooney
10-02-2011, 03:10 PM
Yeah great. Now the Bengals won.

SteelCityMom
10-02-2011, 03:12 PM
Yeah great. Now the Bengals won.

That's fine. They were going to have to win a game eventually. :chuckle:

Kanata-Steeler
10-02-2011, 03:12 PM
p-u-k-e
except for our "D".

DanRooney
10-02-2011, 03:16 PM
That's fine. They were going to have to win a game eventually. :chuckle:

Well now we're tied with them and the Browns for 2nd place in the division. Hopefully the Ravens lose...

Steel_Bus_24
10-02-2011, 03:16 PM
Freaking terrible.....Ben usually only has less then 2 secs before someone is in his face

Exordium
10-02-2011, 03:17 PM
Well...I get what you're saying, and you very well may be right. But I kind of felt the same way after the '09 season. That was just a season smushed in between SB appearances that everyone would prefer to forget (mostly on defense). It might take a year of two to rebuild, or they might come out like gangbusters next season and tear the league apart. Who knows?

God I hope so, but with this offensive line, we won't do anything. I figure assemble an O-line next year and give them some time to work together, then the year after have Ben and all our receivers rip the NFL a new one passing.

Arians signs a new 5 year deal.

:couch:

:ouch:

stb_steeler
10-02-2011, 03:18 PM
I'm so disappointed in Woodley too. I've followed him on FB for about a year (which is fun, and hopeful lol), and of course as a player...but he is just not bringing anything right now.

Out of all the defensive players, he's the one that should have the perfect mix of youth and experience...and it just hasn't shown with him at all yet.

Whats funny about watching Woodley's comments on FB is, he never post about himself doing poorly......

rocckbottomxmen
10-02-2011, 03:18 PM
we will be ok...I know its not the way we wanted to started..but it is what it is

Steel_Bus_24
10-02-2011, 03:19 PM
Yeah I really don't want to hear any of this "rah rah sis boom bah" ....we're the Steelers everything will be fine BS....

We truly look bottom of the barrel bad

No Pass Protection
No Consistent Run Blocking
Can't stop the run for sh**
And Sucky DBs still
Oh yeah, our ST still chip in to add to the suckage

Meanwhile we got coaches who would rather be the players buddies then get across a badly needed attitude adjustment, which blinds them from obvious personnel flaws that needed to be addressed

DanRooney
10-02-2011, 03:19 PM
I was just hoping for improvement from last week. I didn't see anything good outside of Wallace, Brown, Redman/Moore and Troy...

Same players playing their heart out. While Woodley, Farrior, Smith, Mendenhall, and the entire OL are blowing games.

NCBlackWolf
10-02-2011, 03:21 PM
Hell yes it will be redundant, offensive line I say no words. D front seven gave up 150 yards rushing and got little pressure on Schaub. D front seven is old, while the secondary may possibly be getting better. O-line a problem because of lack of quality from drafting and injuries.

Exactly what he said. No rushing D today. Woodley and Timmons sleep walk. Farrior gets beat regularly by TE's. Smith was picked on all first half.

I am probably more angry at the D than our NFL worst OL. At least, I expect that.

rgj
Well, the Steelers have convinced me....I don't expect a winning season at all now. No line. I expect Roethlisberger to get hurt in the next couple of games and will not last the season. No protection.

casteeler
How the hell did the Steelers win 2 games?

SteeleReign
p-u-k-e
except for our "D".

Really? Our D? Other than some surprisingly decent secondary play, I didn't see much to get excited about.

SteeleReign
10-02-2011, 03:23 PM
Exactly what he said. No rushing D today. Woodley and Timmons sleep walk. Farrior gets beat regularly by TE's. Smith was picked on all first half.

I am probably more angry at the D than our NFL worst OL. At least, I expect that.

This is exactly how I have felt all year. Our o-line was expected to be bad, but there was no reason to expect such a poor showing by our D so far this year. 1, ONE takeaway all season so far. ONE....

RichardCullinanForever
10-02-2011, 03:31 PM
Our D by no means had a good game; no sacks, no turnovers, allowed huge yardage, got beat on too many plays. But in the end, allowing 17 points is not necessarily a 'bad' game. Of course we let up way too many rushing yards and gave the Texans an easy touchdown at the end, but 17 points put the offense in a good position to win the game. Yet, they are absolutely incapable. Although they were basically turn-over free (penalties saved us about 3 TO, and the last pick doesn't really count), the offense today had to look about as clueless as I've ever seen them play (more so than last week). We couldn't protect worth a damn, and when we would design plays to counter the shotty OL (quick slants or hot routes), the receivers would not even be looking back for the ball. Although it would be hard to blame anything on Ben this season as pretty much every play he is getting hit, he overthrew a TD in the back of the end zone and just doesn't look as fluid as he has in the past. Besides that, I'm pretty much at a loss of words. But I don't think the D is our problem at all. Is it great? No, but good enough to put our offense in a position to win and our offense is absolutely incapable of even appearing to be prepared to play football.

Sixburgher
10-02-2011, 03:36 PM
The Texans offense stopped themselves with penalties more than the Steelers defense ever did today.

JCPsteelers
10-02-2011, 03:36 PM
Defense has underwhelmed all year but the offensive line is the biggest problem on this team right.
We can't get out of our own way on offense because of them.

ZoneBlitzer
10-02-2011, 03:42 PM
The good news is that collectively they are this bad this early in the year. They have the entire year to try and right the ship a bit at a time. Redman also looks good running the ball. I would bench Mendy from here on out and give Redman a shot. This debacle is pretty much all on the offense. For years the defense has carried this team. But now, it is the offense's turn and they are not doing the job. Obviously the line is putrid and that is on the front office and the coaching staff but going beyond that, they cannot put up points when they need to. 1 touchdown per game isn't going to cut it in this league. They are like 26th in PPG and I expect that number to continue to drop. All of this points to Tomlin's initial stated philosophy of adding weapons over building the foundation of an offensive line.

SteeleReign
10-02-2011, 03:42 PM
Our D by no means had a good game; no sacks, no turnovers, allowed huge yardage, got beat on too many plays. But in the end, allowing 17 points is not necessarily a 'bad' game. Of course we let up way too many rushing yards and gave the Texans an easy touchdown at the end, but 17 points put the offense in a good position to win the game. Yet, they are absolutely incapable. Although they were basically turn-over free (penalties saved us about 3 TO, and the last pick doesn't really count), the offense today had to look about as clueless as I've ever seen them play (more so than last week). We couldn't protect worth a damn, and when we would design plays to counter the shotty OL (quick slants or hot routes), the receivers would not even be looking back for the ball. Although it would be hard to blame anything on Ben this season as pretty much every play he is getting hit, he overthrew a TD in the back of the end zone and just doesn't look as fluid as he has in the past. Besides that, I'm pretty much at a loss of words. But I don't think the D is our problem at all. Is it great? No, but good enough to put our offense in a position to win and our offense is absolutely incapable of even appearing to be prepared to play football.

I hear what you're saying. I realize that the scoreboard showed that we still had a chance. But, the defense just doesn't pass the eyeball test right now. Unless we find a way to force the QB to make quicker decisions with pressure, we will get torched by the good QBs. Tom Brady is lurking in a few weeks. We've got to get it figured out. Be it personnel changes and/or scheming.

Steeler4life1972
10-02-2011, 03:44 PM
ok im sorry but im listening to steelers radio and I think the announcer is clueless...first of all yes I think the defense needs a lot of blame but he is halfway defending arians! I'm sorry but the play calling on offense is the problem with this O line. You need 3 step drop type passes with this O line cause they cant keep the blockers in check for more than 2 seconds maybe 3 max. You cant call 5-7 step type passes with that O line...im sorry it will not work and Ben will get killed back there...I think Ben has did well today withn what he has...anybody else agree??????

DanRooney
10-02-2011, 03:44 PM
We can't even move the ball without using trickeration. I will be furious if we don't bring in a tackle. Why the hell is Trai Essex our starting LT?

SteeleReign
10-02-2011, 03:46 PM
The good news is that collectively they are this bad this early in the year. They have the entire year to try and right the ship a bit at a time. Redman also looks good running the ball. I would bench Mendy from here on out and give Redman a shot. This debacle is pretty much all on the offense. For years the defense has carried this team. But now, it is the offense's turn and they are not doing the job. Obviously the line is putrid and that is on the front office and the coaching staff but going beyond that, they cannot put up points when they need to. 1 touchdown per game isn't going to cut it in this league. They are like 26th in PPG and I expect that number to continue to drop. All of this points to Tomlin's initial stated philosophy of adding weapons over building the foundation of an offensive line.

If Mendy is healthy you can count on him starting. The coach seems more concerned with having friends than making some tough personnel changes. Bench Aaron Smith, Farrior, Mendy and Hines. Give me some Heyward, Sylvester, Redman, and Brown/Sanders/Cotchery....please!

SteeleReign
10-02-2011, 03:49 PM
ok im sorry but im listening to steelers radio and I think the announcer is clueless...first of all yes I think the defense needs a lot of blame but he is halfway defending arians! I'm sorry but the play calling on offense is the problem with this O line. You need 3 step drop type passes with this O line cause they cant keep the blockers in check for more than 2 seconds maybe 3 max. You cant call 5-7 step type passes with that O line...im sorry it will not work and Ben will get killed back there...I think Ben has did well today withn what he has...anybody else agree??????

I'm no Arians fan...not at all...but you can't lay the blame for this pathetic line at Arians' feet. Sure, a west coast style offense would be nice, but you can't turn into that type of offense overnight.

steelfury02
10-02-2011, 03:50 PM
Much like 09 - gonna be hoping and praying for the Ravens to lose.

- This team is uninspired, lacks mental toughness and has zero life
- Maybe the critics are right. The defense (especially the line and half our linebackers) are looking old. Combine that with zero contribution by Woodley and Timmons and what - we have some OK play by Harrison and Troy (when they aren't whiffing on tackles)
- I'll go from 60% responsibility by O-line to 95% responsibility. This O-line hasn't been this bad in recent memory and I mean EVER. We were all hoping Essex would be an upgrade over Scott - but just when you thought it was the worse - it got worse. LOL - it is actually comical how bad they are. How are we even 2-2? Easily a 1-3 team right now...EASILY.
- The Titans look good and regardless of us playing at home - even if we win - we will barely get by.
- I'm really giving going to the Patriots game a second thought. Not sure I want to spend my Halloween weekend traveling and watching them get their ass handed to them, probably even worse than last time. Can you imagine if this team showed up against Brady? My god - probably a 50 burger put up on us.
- Part of me actually hopes we get annihilated so bad that some heads will roll. Status quo will just not do anymore. Bruce Arians needs to go and Kugler needs to be put on notice.
- Let's get Mendenhall out of here. I don't want to hear about O-line - 34's first reaction is to take a side step instead of moving forward as soon as the ball touches his hand.
- Don't even get positive on the fact it was only 17-10. We got owned. If it weren't for two bone-headed penalties it would be 31-10.
- We suck in the trenches, we suck in the trenches, we suck in the trenches. Worst lookin team since 2003. Maybe we can finally get that draft spot high enough to get a top 3 offensive linemen.
- This season already hurts like a floppy donkey to the double chin

RichardCullinanForever
10-02-2011, 03:54 PM
Watching the Packers is just depressing. It's like polar opposites, one team gets a lot better after the SB and the other gets a lot worse.

Steeler4life1972
10-02-2011, 03:55 PM
I'm no Arians fan...not at all...but you can't lay the blame for this pathetic line at Arians' feet. Sure, a west coast style offense would be nice, but you can't turn into that type of offense overnight.

I disagree...an offensive coordinator should be able to adjust...that is his job...I totally disagree!!

SteelCityMom
10-02-2011, 03:56 PM
If Mendy is healthy you can count on him starting. The coach seems more concerned with having friends than making some tough personnel changes. Bench Aaron Smith, Farrior, Mendy and Hines. Give me some Heyward, Sylvester, Redman, and Brown/Sanders/Cotchery....please!

I agree with this mostly. I don't think Hines should be completely taken out of the game...but what the hell? Give Cotchery a chance. He had a decent preseason, and I'm sure he wants to do well for the team.

Did Tomlin maybe leave him out to let him heal a bit longer? Other than stupidity, that's the only reason I can think of. Not that he would have helped the OL I guess...but I expected to see him more.

steelfury02
10-02-2011, 03:56 PM
I need some effin' comfort food up in here.

Can you imagine being a 12-4 team now? hahaha. We'll probably go 6-4 into the bye

SteelCityMom
10-02-2011, 03:58 PM

Well, Arians job title is to manage the entire offense. Who do you blame for poor offensive production other than the coach of the entire offense?

It's not like he just came here this year or anything either...he's had plenty of years to adjust.

DanRooney
10-02-2011, 03:59 PM

Prepare to get flammed for making a logical argument.

Hayeksheroes
10-02-2011, 03:59 PM
No one can really run behind the turnstiles, but Mendenhall is finished. He does more dancing with the grass than Ward did with stars. Mendenhall reminds me of Zeroeue a few years ago. There is heart left.

steelfury02
10-02-2011, 04:00 PM
I found our upgrade at blindside!!!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-D1Pobjdu01I/TWXOx73HsNI/AAAAAAAAgCA/YHn9VjQHueI/s1600/Fat-Albert-cartoon.jpg

Steeler4life1972
10-02-2011, 04:00 PM
Well, Arians job title is to manage the entire offense. Who do you blame for poor offensive production other than the coach of the entire offense?

It's not like he just came here this year or anything either...he's had plenty of years to adjust.

I totally agree...just talked about that in a previous post. The defense is gonna be fine...its arians that is responsible for the offense and lack of adjustment!

queeg
10-02-2011, 04:01 PM
And on defense, it's the usual suspects:

1. James Farrior
2. Aaron Smith
3. Lamarr Woodley (!)

It appears Woodley is compensating for blow outs by left side of line.....

Third Rail
Horrible game.

The offense is practically immobile and when they finally do start putting together a couple of good drives, the defense decides to give up a drive so that the other team can get right back into it. Bruce Arians deserves to be fired NOW. He actually deserved it after 2009, but whatever. Time for some personnel adjustments. Get Kugler out of there too.

Even if the season is lost, it's time the Steelers take a cue from other teams who don't possess this bullshit "stay the course even when we suck" mentality. Why? Because A. we can't get any worse than we already are on offense and B. if we continue in this fashion, our QB isn't going to make it through the entire season. Again, Pittsburgh was lucky that Ben didn't wind up with a knee injury that could have ended the season and possibly ruined his career. I know it was a dirty play, but it happened IN THE END ZONE. If there is ONE place where your O-Line shouldn't miss a block, it's right there.

This team is a disaster. The Packers are up 20-3 right now in the first half and the Steelers couldn't get above 10 in the entire game. Anyone who believes that the better team lost the Super Bowl last year has their head up their ass.

SteeleReign
I agree with this mostly. I don't think Hines should be completely taken out of the game...but what the hell? Give Cotchery a chance. He had a decent preseason, and I'm sure he wants to do well for the team.

Did Tomlin maybe leave him out to let him heal a bit longer? Other than stupidity, that's the only reason I can think of. Not that he would have helped the OL I guess...but I expected to see him more.

I'm cool with Hines in the right spot...3rd down. He's great across the middle, but the screens have got to stop.

steelfury02
10-02-2011, 04:03 PM
Oh - Smith was carted off? What a shocker. Maybe Harrison can wear an eye patch and look even scarier and will intimidate the competition into letting us have some pressure and turnovers. A regular Snake Plisken . . .

SteeleReign
10-02-2011, 04:03 PM
I disagree...an offensive coordinator should be able to adjust...that is his job...I totally disagree!!

Adjust to what? When? You can adjust to a degree, but to install a completely different offensive philosophy 4 games into the season is impossible.

The offensive adjustment should have been made in the offseason...by FIRING the idiot.

Third Rail
10-02-2011, 04:04 PM
I need some effin' comfort food up in here.

Can you imagine being a 12-4 team now? hahaha. We'll probably go 6-4 into the bye

I think you're being optimistic there. More like 4-6. And that might be too generous.

SteelCityMom
10-02-2011, 04:06 PM
I'm cool with Hines in the right spot...3rd down. He's great across the middle, but the screens have got to stop.

Oh, I'm in total agreement with you there. The screens have to stop period. It's a fantastic idea...if you have the right OL (which, of course, we do not)...but in the kind of offensive scheme the Steelers need, it'll never work.

More trick plays (giving away offensive plays be damned) and less screens dammit! I know we have great receivers, a very good QB and pretty decent runners...but w/o an OL to protect them, you might as well have nothing. Gotta start gameplanning around your talent....that's what the Steelers are lacking right now.

SteeleReign
10-02-2011, 04:06 PM
Oh, and by the way....GO RAIDERS!!! I love seeing a look of confusion on Belicheat's face!!!

DanRooney
10-02-2011, 04:07 PM
I love how everyone is all of a sudden changing their opinion about Hines Ward...I hate to say I told you so?

How many yards did he have today playing nearly every snap? I remember 1 catch and 1 dropped ball...

Flyboy
10-02-2011, 04:08 PM
I'm so disgusted with this Offensive line.. Actually, I don't know if I can actually call them that.. unreal.. Terrible is all I can say.. How can you allow that many sacks in a game? the D is starting to lose a step too.

Steeler4life1972
10-02-2011, 04:08 PM
Adjust to what? When? You can adjust to a degree, but to install a completely different offensive philosophy 4 games into the season is impossible.

The offensive adjustment should have been made in the offseason...by FIRING the idiot.

I agree to a degree but this offensive plan should have been worked on in the preseason knowing our O line would not hold up. Even if the O line did hold up you would have the advantage of a game plan that can theoretically replace the run game with dink and dunk and yes i think ben could run that type of offense. Arians should have employed this alternative 2-3 years ago but hes not a good OC...arians is just lucky he has a good QB that can improvise!!

SteeleReign
10-02-2011, 04:09 PM
I love how everyone is all of a sudden changing their opinion about Hines Ward...I hate to say I told you so?

How many yards did he have today playing nearly every snap? I remember 1 catch and 1 dropped ball...

Hines ain't what he used to be, but he's being misused to a degree too. On top of that, if Ben had time to throw the ball Hines would get his share of catches too.

ggoldman
10-02-2011, 04:10 PM
Blown opportunities on offence are why we're 2-2

Sixburgher
10-02-2011, 04:11 PM
I totally agree...just talked about that in a previous post. The defense is gonna be fine...its arians that is responsible for the offense and lack of adjustment!

They gave up more than 100 on the ground to Rice, more than 150 to Foster and almost gave up 100 to Addai. Getting consistently blown off the line of scrimmage isn't indicative of everything being just fine.

SteelJones
10-02-2011, 04:12 PM
Okay guys let's examine our known problems....the O line is a mess and we can only hope that the starters returning makes this a little better or Ben will not survive the season. Next year the Steelers need to draft "O" line in the first round and then look for additional "O" line value in free agency.

Things I see from the comfort of my sofa that need to be rectified quickly are as follows:

Running Game: Troubling that Redman and Moore were more effective than Mendenhall. Running the football requires a "want to" attitude and I don't see a lot of "want to" out of Mendenhall right now... Redman and Moore were running behind the same awful line so can't blame his lack of productivity on that.

Antonio Brown - Stop fair catching the ball inside the 10 yard line. Creates terrible field position and puts our inept offense in a hole. Also Antonio Brown needs to get his head in the film room and learn to recognize blitzes and break off his routes accordingly. He is not on the same page with his QB and that should not be the case at this point of the season and KILLS DRIVES!

Big Ben - The man is a tank and he makes plays many quarterbacks can't make, but he needs to take what the defense gives him more often and stop holding the ball. There was a play today where he looked right at Redman (while running for his life) for a checkdown then decided to attempt the long pass instead and was sacked from behind. Ben needs to get rid of the ball! Especially behind this line!

DEFENSE - It is gut check time for Woodley...you get that kind of money in Pittsburgh and you are expected to perform. Troy is an ANIMAL and I feel bad that his effort was wasted today. Where is the pressure? Where are the turnovers? Aaron Smith? James Farrior? Can our D line adjust to cut blocking schemes? -10 football is losing football and if it doesn't get turned around quickly, we could be in for a long season! Silver lining in the dark cloud.... Keenan Lewis is showing flashes that indicate he may be the next solid corner for this franchise.

casteeler
Blown opportunities on offence are why we're 2-2

How are they even 2-2?

SteeleReign
I agree to a degree but this offensive plan should have been worked on in the preseason knowing our O line would not hold up. Even if the O line did hold up you would have the advantage of a game plan that can theoretically replace the run game with dink and dunk and yes i think ben could run that type of offense. Arians should have employed this alternative 2-3 years ago but hes not a good OC...arians is just lucky he has a good QB that can improvise!!

Now THIS is how I feel. IT's what Tom Brady has been doing his entire career. Same thing with no huddle. We seem to move the ball more effectively with the no huddle, Ben wants to run it more often, but Arians doesn't seem to agree. Of course, with our o-line in shambles, the no-huddle may make things worse.

sexyllama
10-02-2011, 04:14 PM
- Love to see all the Tomlin/Colbert defenders come on and tell me all about our great depth is?
-Offensive line is in shambles and we can do nothing because we haven't drafted any starters or depth
-Redman (who I love) was only doing good because the Texans were playing off. Mendy was just trying to make plays when nothing was there
-Luckily we probably won't make the Playoffs as I would hate to get destroyed by Pack again

-Our Offensive Coordinator sucks:
1. 4-years and they still can't get plays in? More burned time out this week. Seriously, how are they barely getting to the line with 6 seconds left
2. How in the **** does he keep calling 5-7 seconds developing plays when Ben has 3-4 max
3. Does Arians know what the **** a crossing or underneath route is?
4. Completely predicatible: We stack the line and RUN, we spread out and PASS. The blitzed every time we spread and luckily Ben is still standing
5. This team is so un-drilled it's ridiculous... we can't evenom ****ing run a SCREEN PLAY. Did you see how bad those were?

Maybe we go 6-6, put it all together and focus, then go on an incredible run :tt04:
But it looks more like our previous after SB crash...:banging:
We really need to ditch our OFF staff and restart like Cowher did. BTW- We really need to pick up some assistants from GB. Watch an offense that has a clue...
Oh, and BEN needs an entire BODY FLAK SUIT. He is going to die out there
Go Steelers! Even though they are hard to watch without something coming up from my stomach:tt:

ggoldman
10-02-2011, 04:15 PM
Why do we stop throwing to Mike Wallace, Ben was 4-4 when throwing to him

tanda10506
10-02-2011, 04:17 PM
It's all on Tomlin and the FO. No matter how bad Smith or Farrior play he refuses to sit them. Arians is still here, enough said there, he's almost as detrimental to the team as the O line and he magnifies how bad the O line is with his head up the ass play calling. The front office drafted Pouncey last year and that worked well, we drafted also this year and that looks like it might work out, but you can't just keep hoping we get a rookie that will be great in 3 or 4 years. Cut the "to arrogant to pay a FA" BS and sign a FA linemen. I have no problem with them not signing a FA for any other spot, but it's either arrogance or stupidity to not at least sign one free agent for the O line. Redman played well as did Moore (give credit where it's due), but it did seem that the O line actually was blocking well for them, regardless, let's see if Tomlin starts either of them vs Tennessee, I doubt it. Bottom line is Tomlin needs to get realistic and start being a real coach before any other issues can be addressed. I usually don't get actually pissed off about my team (football or baseball) doing poorly, but when it's stupidity and denial that makes it that way, that's when I get mad. Seriously, what the hell is Arians still doing on this team? If Tomlin will step up and do his job, bench Smith and Farrior, bench Mendenhall till he get's his sh#@ together, and bench other players for plays at a time if they are not playing with heart then we can start to address the on field, more complicated issues. That's the way I see it, we have common sense issues to address before we address the big problems. Saying it's a down year or just a year between SB's doesn't fly when all 11 starters are the same and they are a veteran team. As for the more complicated issues, we have LB's and DL out of place every single play, we had one play this game where all 11 players were on the right side of the field, guess what, they cut it back for a huge gain to the left, WTF? I think if we get rid of Arians and can get somebody on the O line that the rest will eventually work itself out. It seems like that's unlikely but the O line is so bad that it affects the defense (being on the field all game in bad position) and it completely neutralizes all our offensive weapons. Arians magnifies that, if we fix those two problems, which we won't, then like I said, I think the rest will work itself out. With the exception of Smith and Farrior. Also, I don't know what the hell happened to our pass rush over just a few months off, but it's non existent. Is it Smith and Farrior also, maybe, but Woodley and Timmons are playing almost as bad as Farrior, they should be ashamed of themselves out there, getting big money and not doing a damn thing 4 games straight. I could go on forever really but I won't. I hope nobody posts something claiming Ben is the problem, because me and my friends watching the game were counting after the ball was snapped and Ben usually had less then 2 seconds, sometimes the texans were in the backfield the instant the ball was snapped. And none of this, " Oh it was a 7 point game" or "It's a veteran team they will come around" or "it's only 4 games", none of that is the case. This team is playing horrible and will get worse till they take steps to correct it, period!

SteeleReign
10-02-2011, 04:19 PM
They gave up more than 150 to Rice and Foster and almost gave up 100 to Addai. Getting consistently blown off the line of scrimmage isn't indicative of everything being just fine.

Yeah. I don't get the idea that our defense is okay & that all our problems are on offense. I suggested last week that our defense is more disappointing this year because so much more was expected of them, but I got flamed.

Sure the defense has had it's moments, but they've fallen SO FAR from where they were last year that it's almost shocking. :surprise:

The offense, well, they're just about where we thought they'd be...o-line stinks, Ben running for his life - making plays, getting sacked, holding the ball too long - Mendy dancing, etc......not sure why anyone would be surprised by this. :noidea:

SteelJones
10-02-2011, 04:20 PM
Why do we stop throwing to Mike Wallace, Ben was 4-4 when throwing to him

Mike Wallace isn't Megatron, who by the way caught a TD in triple coverage today. Mike is super quick, but if you put extra help over the top you can eliminate him as a deep option. However, I agree more underneath routes and quick slants should have been utilized. He is by far our most potent offensive weapon!

SteeleReign
10-02-2011, 04:20 PM
It's all on Tomlin and the FO. No matter how bad Smith or Farrior play he refuses to sit them. Arians is still here, enough said there, he's almost as detrimental to the team as the O line and he magnifies how bad the O line is with his head up the ass play calling. The front office drafted Pouncey last year and that worked well, we drafted also this year and that looks like it might work out, but you can't just keep hoping we get a rookie that will be great in 3 or 4 years. Cut the "to arrogant to pay a FA" BS and sign a FA linemen. I have no problem with them not signing a FA for any other spot, but it's either arrogance or stupidity to not at least sign one free agent for the O line. Redman played well as did Moore (give credit where it's due), but it did seem that the O line actually was blocking well for them, regardless, let's see if Tomlin starts either of them vs Tennessee, I doubt it. Bottom line is Tomlin needs to get realistic and start being a real coach before any other issues can be addressed. I usually don't get actually pissed off about my team (football or baseball) doing poorly, but when it's stupidity and denial that makes it that way, that's when I get mad. Seriously, what the hell is Arians still doing on this team? If Tomlin will step up and do his job, bench Smith and Farrior, bench Mendenhall till he get's his sh#@ together, and bench other players for plays at a time if they are not playing with heart then we can start to address the on field, more complicated issues. That's the way I see it, we have common sense issues to address before we address the big problems. Saying it's a down year or just a year between SB's doesn't fly when all 11 starters are the same and they are a veteran team. As for the more complicated issues, we have LB's and DL out of place every single play, we had one play this game where all 11 players were on the right side of the field, guess what, they cut it back for a huge gain to the left, WTF? I think if we get rid of Arians and can get somebody on the O line that the rest will eventually work itself out. It seems like that's unlikely but the O line is so bad that it affects the defense (being on the field all game in bad position) and it completely neutralizes all our offensive weapons. Arians magnifies that, if we fix those two problems, which we won't, then like I said, I think the rest will work itself out. With the exception of Smith and Farrior. Also, I don't know what the hell happened to our pass rush over just a few months off, but it's non existent. Is it Smith and Farrior also, maybe, but Woodley and Timmons are playing almost as bad as Farrior, they should be ashamed of themselves out there, getting big money and not doing a damn thing 4 games straight. I could go on forever really but I won't. I hope nobody posts something claiming Ben is the problem, because me and my friends watching the game were counting after the ball was snapped and Ben usually had less then 2 seconds, sometimes the texans were in the backfield the instant the ball was snapped. And none of this, " Oh it was a 7 point game" or "It's a veteran team they will come around" or "it's only 4 games", none of that is the case. This team is playing horrible and will get worse till they take steps to correct it, period!

Paragraphs, my friend...please....

DanRooney
10-02-2011, 04:21 PM
I don't think Timmons had a bad game. He was dropping into coverage a lot and pretty much smothered his man. He also had a few stops early in the game.

Steeler4life1972
10-02-2011, 04:27 PM
ahha...i was just on steelers radio!!!

SteeleReign
10-02-2011, 04:28 PM
ahha...i was just on steelers radio!!!

Cool! What did you have to say?:popcorn:

steelfury02
10-02-2011, 04:31 PM
I'm actually glad we lost. If we would have pulled this out of our arse it would have just kept that many more Steelers fans in denial about our issues.

I think the look on Ben's face after the last time he went down was priceless - he might just be started to get pissed off about the lack of protection.

Did anyone else get peeved when we ran the no huddle a few plays in a row and then called a time out when we had momentum?

Steeler4life1972
10-02-2011, 04:31 PM
I was complaining about arians and his lack of employment of a 3 step drop type passes behind this O line and I totally said arians is completely to blame that should have been employed 2 years ago...he partially agreed but was being a dick and not agreeing that is arians fault!!

DanRooney
10-02-2011, 04:33 PM
I'm actually glad we lost. If we would have pulled this out of our arse it would have just kept that many more Steelers fans in denial about our issues.

I think the look on Ben's face after the last time he went down was priceless - he might just be started to get pissed off about the lack of protection.

Did anyone else get peeved when we ran the no huddle a few plays in a row and then called a time out when we had momentum?

I'm never glad that we lose, but the optimization after watching our crap performance in week 3 is a little annoying.

queeg
10-02-2011, 04:34 PM
I was complaining about arians and his lack of employment of a 3 step drop type passes behind this O line and I totally said arians is completely to blame that should have been employed 2 years ago...he partially agreed but was being a dick and not agreeing that is arians fault!!

We need a tackle at home eating chips

SteelJones
10-02-2011, 04:34 PM

Wow Tanda... I am a big lurker and don't usually post this much in one day, but I feel your pain and agree with most of your points. I love Tomlin, but I agree he is stubborn when it comes to sitting his veterans. The problem is if you bench a veteran you may lose the locker room. I get the fire and brimstone mentality, but you need these guys to want to play for you and benching guys to make a point is risky. Unfortunately you need an excuse like Mendy's hammy to be able to insert Redman and Moore without raising suspicion. Hopefully Mendy's hammy will be sore next weekend too.

I completely agree with your "O" line points. The Steelers got very lucky with Pouncey and hopefully Gilbert pans out, but they need to cut the dead weight next year and sign some FA offensive linemen. The Steeler way is proven, but they may need to rethink this FA philosophy for key positions like "O" line.

I don't love Arians either, but our problem there is the same as the "O" line and FA philosophy. The Steelers are victims of their own success. They have been to 3 Superbowls in 6 years with guys like Hartwig at center and have been able to win more than lose. Couple that with Arians being the play caller, but constantly being bailed out by a QB that makes even the ugliest play call work (by extending the play) and you have a FO that doesn't see the problem.

I am in agreement with your other points.. the pass rush is non existent, Ben needs more time, players are way out of position, but I would argue that sometimes Ben passes up the easy check down and contributes to the sack total.

SteeleReign
10-02-2011, 04:35 PM

Well...I don't believe it's TOTALLY Arians' fault, but he sure isn't helping matters. I get what you're saying though, if Big Ben had all day to throw the ball then Arians' offense would look great. But, his lack of adjustment to our o-line issues is grounding our offense.

Steeler4life1972
10-02-2011, 04:37 PM
Well...I don't believe it's TOTALLY Arians' fault, but he sure isn't helping matters. I get what you're saying though, if Big Ben had all day to throw the ball then Arians' offense would look great. But, his lack of adjustment to our o-line issues is grounding our offense.

exactly...you have to adjust but you have to mix in more quick throws and no i dont mean the bubble screen to the WR!

SteelJones
10-02-2011, 04:40 PM

I agree with adjusting, but the Steelers buy into the "the standard, is the standard" crap and don't adjust thinking their journeymen lineman can play at a higher level than the starters... :banging:

Steeler4life1972
10-02-2011, 04:40 PM
next year...Ben will have to learn a new offense....this is a passing league and Ben will need to be more of a complete passer...with MORE 3 STEP DROP TYPE PASSES...trust me it will work!!!

queeg
10-02-2011, 04:41 PM
Wow Tanda... I am a big lurker and don't usually post this much in one day, but I feel your pain and agree with most of your points. I love Tomlin, but I agree he is stubborn when it comes to sitting his veterans. The problem is if you bench a veteran you may lose the locker room. I get the fire and brimstone mentality, but you need these guys to want to play for you and benching guys to make a point is risky. Unfortunately you need an excuse like Mendy's hammy to be able to insert Redman and Moore without raising suspicion. Hopefully Mendy's hammy will be sore next weekend too.

I completely agree with your "O" line points. The Steelers got very lucky with Pouncey and hopefully Gilbert pans out, but they need to cut the dead weight next year and sign some FA offensive linemen. The Steeler way is proven, but they may need to rethink this FA philosophy for key positions like "O" line.

I don't love Arians either, but our problem there is the same as the "O" line and FA philosophy. The Steelers are victims of their own success. They have been to 3 Superbowls in 6 years with guys like Hartwig at center and have been able to win more than lose. Couple that with Arians being the play caller, but constantly being bailed out by a QB that makes even the ugliest play call work (by extending the play) and you have a FO that doesn't see the problem.

I am in agreement with your other points.. the pass rush is non existent, Ben needs more time, players are way out of position, but I would argue that sometimes Ben passes up the easy check down and contributes to the sack total.

I saw TE Johnson blocking a Houston Monster to protect Ben....he did good....quick and disruptive....our tackles lumber....conditioning????

Steeler4life1972
10-02-2011, 04:41 PM
I agree with adjusting, but the Steelers buy into the "the standard, is the standard" crap and don't adjust thinking their journeymen lineman can play at a higher level than the starters... :banging:

Like I said...an alternative game plan should have been in play a couple years ago...a good OC does that....arians just does the same year in year out!

Steeler4life1972
10-02-2011, 04:42 PM
Like I said...an alternative game plan should have been in play a couple years ago...a good OC does that....arians just does the same year in year out!

Teams have figured us out cause we dont change...its all about scheme!!!

SteelJones
10-02-2011, 04:43 PM
next year...Ben will have to learn a new offense....this is a passing league and Ben will need to be more of a complete passer...with MORE 3 STEP DROP TYPE PASSES...trust me it will work!!!

I agree, but I don't know if Ben can adjust... Ben is a drop back and wait for it to develop at all costs QB. I hope I am wrong.... I would love to watch our QB drop back in the pocket stand tall and deliver strikes in rhythm all day, but that has never been his game. Of course, the line is the reason for that, but I have no frame of reference because Ben is always running for his life....

SteeleReign
10-02-2011, 04:47 PM

Although I understand what Tomlin is implying, I tend to agree with you on this. To suggest that anybody that suits up for our o-line can get the job done is a pollyanna dream.

Then again, who determines the standard? If the standard is what our starting o-line does, then I guess it is possible to find a dude working at Waffle House to suit up for us.

SteelJones
10-02-2011, 04:47 PM
I saw TE Johnson blocking a Houston Monster to protect Ben....he did good....quick and disruptive....our tackles lumber....conditioning????

I hope it is not conditioning at this point in the season. That would imply that this team has bigger issues than skill and ability within the O line. I feel like our line is just over matched weekly and they don't have the talent to compete. This line needs an overhaul with a blend of young lineman that can play quickly and some key FA signings to sure up the inexperience while the pups learn on the fly.

SteelJones
10-02-2011, 04:48 PM
Although I understand what Tomlin is implying, I tend to agree with you on this. To suggest that anybody that suits up for our o-line can get the job done is a pollyanna dream.

Then again, who determines the standard? If the standard is what our starting o-line does, then I guess it is possible to find a dude working at Waffle House to suit up for us.

Painful analogy, but very true!

Steeler4life1972
10-02-2011, 04:48 PM
I agree, but I don't know if Ben can adjust... Ben is a drop back and wait for it to develop at all costs QB. I hope I am wrong.... I would love to watch our QB drop back in the pocket stand tall and deliver strikes in rhythm all day, but that has never been his game. Of course, the line is the reason for that, but I have no frame of reference because Ben is always running for his life....

I absolutely do think Ben could do that because its mainly 2 reads...he does that anyway with the long routes...its a quicker concept but I do believe he could achieve it...he still can be freelance bec if those 2 reads arent open he will run for his life anyway just like he's doing now. At this point he has to wait for 2 receivers to get open deep down the field...you have to shorten those routes up cause this O line cant stay in check that long!

steelfury02
10-02-2011, 04:50 PM
Hoping and praying the Ravens lose - it will lessen the sting to a degree.

fortmemphis
10-02-2011, 04:52 PM
You hit it right on the head.

Ben would be in the hospital if he were any other man.

Both lines blow, but most of us know that.

Texans are NOT as good as they think they are. One Hail Mary pass from tying the game, forcing yet another epic fail.

TENN for next week is not looking good either.

lets see, Foster ran 30 times for 155 yards. Wonder what Chris Johnson will do?

Ben in a walking boot and having an MRI tomorrow. The offensive line was bound to get him hurt.

SteelJones
10-02-2011, 04:56 PM
I absolutely do think Ben could do that because its mainly 2 reads...he does that anyway with the long routes...its a quicker concept but I do believe he could achieve it...he still can be freelance bec if those 2 reads arent open he will run for his life anyway just like he's doing now. At this point he has to wait for 2 receivers to get open deep down the field...you have to shorten those routes up cause this O line cant stay in check that long!

I agree with shortening the routes. It seems obvious from the comfort of my couch, but the Steelers offense can't see it!

fortmemphis
10-02-2011, 04:59 PM
Okay guys let's examine our known problems....the O line is a mess and we can only hope that the starters returning makes this a little better or Ben will not survive the season. Next year the Steelers need to draft "O" line in the first round and then look for additional "O" line value in free agency.

Things I see from the comfort of my sofa that need to be rectified quickly are as follows:

Running Game: Troubling that Redman and Moore were more effective than Mendenhall. Running the football requires a "want to" attitude and I don't see a lot of "want to" out of Mendenhall right now... Redman and Moore were running behind the same awful line so can't blame his lack of productivity on that.

Antonio Brown - Stop fair catching the ball inside the 10 yard line. Creates terrible field position and puts our inept offense in a hole. Also Antonio Brown needs to get his head in the film room and learn to recognize blitzes and break off his routes accordingly. He is not on the same page with his QB and that should not be the case at this point of the season and KILLS DRIVES!

Big Ben - The man is a tank and he makes plays many quarterbacks can't make, but he needs to take what the defense gives him more often and stop holding the ball. There was a play today where he looked right at Redman (while running for his life) for a checkdown then decided to attempt the long pass instead and was sacked from behind. Ben needs to get rid of the ball! Especially behind this line!

DEFENSE - It is gut check time for Woodley...you get that kind of money in Pittsburgh and you are expected to perform. Troy is an ANIMAL and I feel bad that his effort was wasted today. Where is the pressure? Where are the turnovers? Aaron Smith? James Farrior? Can our D line adjust to cut blocking schemes? -10 football is losing football and if it doesn't get turned around quickly, we could be in for a long season! Silver lining in the dark cloud.... Keenan Lewis is showing flashes that indicate he may be the next solid corner for this franchise.

LOL, concerning Antonio Brown and his fair catching, I posted several times in the game thread asking why the hell does he fair catch the ball on the 5. Then late in the game at the 10 yard line, he runs away from the punt when we desparately need field position and the ball is downed on the 1.

I just dont understand the thought process there.

SteelJones
10-02-2011, 04:59 PM
lets see, Foster ran 30 times for 155 yards. Wonder what Chris Johnson will do?

Ben in a walking boot and having an MRI tomorrow. The offensive line was bound to get him hurt.

I hate to say it, but the FO is not going to address this offensive line until one of two things happens:

the Steelers have a very bad season (say 7-9)
their $100M investment Big Ben sustains a season ending ACL injury

I am amazed that Ben has survived this long.....

SteelJones
10-02-2011, 05:01 PM
LOL, concerning Antonio Brown and his fair catching, I posted several times in the game thread asking why the hell does he fair catch the ball on the 5. Then late in the game at the 10 yard line, he runs away from the punt when we desparately need field position and the ball is downed on the 1.

I just dont understand the thought process there.

Sorry I missed your game thread, but this has to be something that the coaches see in film study... he is hurting an already terrible offense with these decisions...

fortmemphis
10-02-2011, 05:16 PM
Sorry I missed your game thread, but this has to be something that the coaches see in film study... he is hurting an already terrible offense with these decisions...no thats cool. It was in the game thread and several people were wondering why Brown would fair catch it on the 5. You are so right. It just further cripples a struggling offense.

And my point on the last punt was on that particular punt, go ahead and catch it and try to gain any yards you can. The team needed any kind of field position it could get. But that time, he decided to run away and let it bounce. And the result was a perfectly downed ball at the 1. Uggggggh!

steelfury02
10-02-2011, 05:21 PM
God I was hoping for a delusional security blanket of a 3-1 record heading into a home game.

Now I have to face the facts - we might just lose next week too. They look THAT MUD-BUTT UGLY

fortmemphis
10-02-2011, 05:22 PM
I hate to say it, but the FO is not going to address this offensive line until one of two things happens:

the Steelers have a very bad season (say 7-9)
their $100M investment Big Ben sustains a season ending ACL injury

I am amazed that Ben has survived this long.....if they dont start protecting him better or getting ball out of his hands quicker, this type of injury may happen sooner than any of us think. It just takes one play. Just ask Tom Brady.

If the line cant pass block, then by God run the damn ball with Redman, Moore, and Mendy if his hamstring will allow him to hit the hole quickly and not dance.

When there is a hole, it may be open for only a second and the RB has to get there and get thru it. We saw some life in the run game late with Redman. That has got to be part of the Steelers offense. 5 wide and slingin it all over the field is going to get Ben killed and there will be turnovers galore as he fumbles because he keeps getting pummelled in the backfield.

NoFieldFive
10-02-2011, 05:26 PM
just showed a stat on the Patriots game - Brady has not been sacked in the pat 90 pass attempts.

what's Ben been sacked in the past 90 attempts....15 times? 4 fumbles?

btaylor179
10-02-2011, 05:28 PM
i said earlier in the week ben would be out by game 8 but guess its gonna be earlier......o line is worse line in football ....college or pro's......farrior needs to hang it up along with foote...lbs suck o line sucks just bad football !!!!!

Steeler4life1972
10-02-2011, 05:35 PM
is ben out for the year according to a post????

NoFieldFive
10-02-2011, 05:46 PM
Tomlin's post game interview....he says it's an issue of fundamentals - tackling, blocking etc. does he seriously not see an issue with personnel and game planning/play calling?

Steeler4life1972
10-02-2011, 05:48 PM
Tomlin's post game interview....he says it's an issue of fundamentals - tackling, blocking etc. does he seriously not see an issue with personnel and game planning/play calling?

I think tomlin at this point is afraid of stepping on toes which loses some respect in my eyes!!!!

SteeleReign
10-02-2011, 05:49 PM

Well, in that case, it's an issue of coaching. If these guys (veterans) don't have the fundamentals down then the coaches are not getting it done.

SteeleReign
10-02-2011, 05:51 PM
I think tomlin at this point is afraid of stepping on toes which loses some respect in my eyes!!!!

Yep. Tomlin needs to figure out how to stop the "players coach" crap & start rattling some cages.

NCBlackWolf
10-02-2011, 05:51 PM
Well, in that case, it's an issue of coaching. If these guys (veterans) don't have the fundamentals down then the coaches are not getting it done.

Very true. +1

cloppbeast
10-02-2011, 06:01 PM
Receivers had a good game (for what it's worth). Brown and Wallace continue to show promise.

Brown continues to impress. I think he might be our second best WR, easily.

Ben is a tough SOB. Everything else aside, you can't deny that.

Correct. I cannot deny that.:tt04:

OL and defense pretty much suck right now. I get that.

On a positive note, we found out a lot too. For one thing, Redman can run. Unlike Mendenhall, he makes this o-line look good.

Also, Brown and Wallace both have super star potential.

If the Steelers choose, they could seriously improve the offense by giving Redman and Brown more playing time.

Steeler4life1972
10-02-2011, 06:08 PM
Brown continues to impress. I think he might be our second best WR, easily.
I absolutely think redman does need to be in there more as a power back...need to find out if he can block!!

Correct. I cannot deny that.:tt04:

On a positive note, we found out a lot too. For one thing, Redman can run. Unlike Mendenhall, he makes this o-line look good.

Also, Brown and Wallace both have super star potential.

If the Steelers choose, they could seriously improve the offense by giving Redman and Brown more playing time.I absolutely think redman does need to be in there more as a power back...need to find out if he can block!!

SteelCityMom
10-02-2011, 06:09 PM
is ben out for the year according to a post????

No, there has been nothing that has said that so far.

cloppbeast
10-02-2011, 06:12 PM
Yep. Tomlin needs to figure out how to stop the "players coach" crap & start rattling some cages.

I recall him having a much more bad-ass attitude when he first got to Pittsburgh. It seemed to work better.

Steeler4life1972
10-02-2011, 06:14 PM
No, there has been nothing that has said that so far.

ok ty...i do believe he will play...I hope!!! I live in TN near nashville and hope we destroy the titans so I dont have to hear the BS at work!!!

cloppbeast
10-02-2011, 06:16 PM
I absolutely think redman does need to be in there more as a power back...need to find out if he can block!!

Who cares? lol. We know he can run; he runs like a man-child. Just let him run. If Arians has a brain, granted a big IF, he'll start Redman, or at a minimum give him carries before Mendenhall gets hurt next time. I can see no reason why he hasn't already.

Steeler4life1972
10-02-2011, 06:19 PM
Who cares? lol. We know he can run; he runs like a man-child. Just let him run. If Arians has a brain, granted a big IF, he'll start Redman, or at a minimum give him carries before Mendenhall gets hurt next time. I can see no reason why he hasn't already.

I care because we need all the extra blockers we can get...let alone a blocker who can run!!! So yes its a huge difference if he can block!!!

SteeleReign
10-02-2011, 06:19 PM
I recall him having a much more bad-ass attitude when he first got to Pittsburgh. It seemed to work better.

I agree. It all started in training camp when he started going soft on the veterans....giving them days off, etc. I've spent a lot of time at training camp & I remember seeing Tomlin standing on the sideline hamming it up with Hines & some of the other vets....like he's just one of the boys. :noidea:

Steeler4life1972
10-02-2011, 06:30 PM
I knew it...you cant practice in pads to fix our problems....Goodell needs to go...I think he knew it would affect us cause he dont like us...yes Im venting but this new practice rules without pads fukkin suck!!!!

steelfury02
10-02-2011, 06:37 PM
oh penile

cloppbeast
10-02-2011, 06:40 PM
I care because we need all the extra blockers we can get...let alone a blocker who can run!!! So yes its a huge difference if he can block!!!

I guess we can keep him in on pass plays too. But for now we could at least utilize his running ability.

cloppbeast
10-02-2011, 06:45 PM
I agree. It all started in training camp when he started going soft on the veterans....giving them days off, etc. I've spent a lot of time at training camp & I remember seeing Tomlin standing on the sideline hamming it up with Hines & some of the other vets....like he's just one of the boys. :noidea:

I doubt you would ever see the chin fraternizing with the players.....

No disrespect to Tomlin. He took us to the big dance twice and won it, so I can't take anything away from him to this point, but I kind of miss Cowher right now. A players coach doesn't work well in this type of situations. We need a coach who will lay down the law at least with the players, not to mention coaches.........one in particular.

Maybe when we get rid of these senior citizens, Tomlin will go back to his hard-nosed attitude.

SteelJones
10-02-2011, 06:46 PM
if they dont start protecting him better or getting ball out of his hands quicker, this type of injury may happen sooner than any of us think. It just takes one play. Just ask Tom Brady.

If the line cant pass block, then by God run the damn ball with Redman, Moore, and Mendy if his hamstring will allow him to hit the hole quickly and not dance.

When there is a hole, it may be open for only a second and the RB has to get there and get thru it. We saw some life in the run game late with Redman. That has got to be part of the Steelers offense. 5 wide and slingin it all over the field is going to get Ben killed and there will be turnovers galore as he fumbles because he keeps getting pummelled in the backfield.

I agree with your post, but the league is turning into this pass happy score fest. Apparently nobody, but Steelers and Ravens fans like sound defensive football. All of the stats I read show scoring and passing going up. This trend is also forcing the Steelers to adjust and become a passing offense in 5 wide receiver sets.

SteelJones
10-02-2011, 06:49 PM
just showed a stat on the Patriots game - Brady has not been sacked in the pat 90 pass attempts.

what's Ben been sacked in the past 90 attempts....15 times? 4 fumbles?

The Pats use a run alternative passing attack where Brady releases the ball to Wes Welker in rhythm and usually within 1.8 seconds after he has received the snap. Ben does not throw in rhythm, use a 3 step drop or get rid of the ball quickly. Ben is feast or famine... scramble and complete a huge pass, or scramble and commit the huge turnover!

SteelJones
10-02-2011, 06:50 PM

Agreed

SteelJones
10-02-2011, 06:56 PM
I doubt you would ever see the chin fraternizing with the players.....

No disrespect to Tomlin. He took us to the big dance twice and won it, so I can't take anything away from him to this point, but I kind of miss Cowher right now. A players coach doesn't work well in this type of situations. We need a coach who will lay down the law at least with the players, not to mention coaches.........one in particular.

Maybe when we get rid of these senior citizens, Tomlin will go back to his hard-nosed attitude.

Losing will bring back the hard-nosed attitude very quickly. The Steelers and their fans are used to unbelievable success. In a way we sort of expect it and we are shocked when these guys do not win. Reality is they have been king of the mountain for a long time and they will eventually come back to Earth. I don't like it, but you cannot expect to curb stomp NFL teams year in and year out without some down years. With that said, I live right outside of Philadelphia... believe me Eagles fans are crying in their beer right now over their much hyped "Dream Team". They are trying to run Reid out of town with torches and pitchforks!

steelfury02
10-02-2011, 07:13 PM
So what you are saying is if we want to run Arians out of town (and I'm only bringing this up as a HYPOTHETICAL ;) ) I need to find something sharper than a running a bubble screen?

SteelJones
10-02-2011, 07:16 PM
So what you are saying is if we want to run Arians out of town (and I'm only bringing this up as a HYPOTHETICAL ;) ) I need to find something sharper than a running a bubble screen?

Yes and heavier.... :drink: