PDA

View Full Version : Redman over Mendy?

55BaileyFan
10-02-2011, 05:44 PM
Redman went into the game late and destroyed the Texans, I think it might be time for a switch. Redman is a bruiser and seems to always get the yards he needs.

Mendy had four carries for 34 yards while Redman had six carries for 40 yards. I don't know what they should do, but they need to do something quickly.

casteeler
10-02-2011, 05:48 PM
Seems Mendy can't be convinced to run north-south, Redman 100%!!!

SteeleReign
10-02-2011, 06:01 PM
I'd be happy to see him get the chance.

RichardCullinanForever
10-02-2011, 06:03 PM
Redman absolutely no doubt

SteeleReign
10-02-2011, 06:03 PM
I'd expect the Steelers to go after an RB in the first 4 rounds of the draft. I'd go back to the old days of Bettis/Willie. Redman to ground & pound, and a young speedster, a la Chris Johnson or Jamaal Charles, to get to the corner and up the field.

RichardCullinanForever
10-02-2011, 06:04 PM
But obviously our coaching staff isn't ballsy enough to make the switch.

3rdandlong
10-02-2011, 06:30 PM
Redman absolutely. I've been saying this for at least a year. Mendenhall is terrible!

cloppbeast
10-02-2011, 07:09 PM
I'm in the Redman camp.

frunko1
10-02-2011, 07:21 PM
Redman, over the length of a game he will force the defense to bring up an extra defender opening up the passing lanes.

He just gets positive yardage, and fights for them.

Atlanta Dan
10-02-2011, 07:31 PM
Bouchette votes for Redman

The more I watch, the more and more I'm convinced that for this offense right now Isaac Redman is a better fit at running back than Rashard Mendenhall. Redman runs straight ahead, pushes linemen back and can get yards when the holes are not there and also hits the holes quickly when they are. Mendenhall is a thorougbred once he gets through the holes, but he cannot for the most part. Mendenhall has 173 yards on 48 carries (3.0), and Redman has 107 on 22 (4.9).

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers

55BaileyFan
10-02-2011, 07:44 PM
I am glad that I am not alone on this one. I just think that Mendy shakes and jives too damn much, he needs replaced but it seems like the coaches are holding onto the past so much...that SB really messed him up or something because he is getting worse.

NoFieldFive
10-02-2011, 07:57 PM
unless a starter is hurt then Tomlin is going to start them. if you start on this team its' tough to lose your job

steelbad@50
10-02-2011, 10:04 PM
Tomlin please start Redman over Mendenhall, if he hasnt done enough to get the starting job then tell us what more he has to do. OPEN YOUR FREAKIN EYES MAN

ETL
10-02-2011, 10:10 PM
If Mendy can learn to stop dancing, then he's the better RB with more speed

since Mendy is a blockhead and can't be taught new things (what else do you expect from a Niles West high school grad) - I vote for Redman

ricksteelers55
10-03-2011, 12:14 AM
I've said it in the preseason they need to get Redman in this thing and not only that but we need to run more than ever.Our OL is banged up and we pass the ball 30+ times a game ? You kidding me ? You pound the rock and you get the tough yards.

Btw one of the reason why Redman is the perfect fit for this offense is because of his speed.He has the perfect speed for this OL who his slow to open the holes.Mendenhall is too quick that when he gets the ball he's already behind the blocker and the holes arent there yet.Redman and Moore gets more yards because they are slower.Run Redman and get Mendenhall 5-10 carries a game you will see how this offense will be improve.You can still stretch the field deep with Wallace with a playaction so that it will help our running game even more

Fire Arians
10-03-2011, 12:18 AM
redman!

PhantomJB93
10-03-2011, 12:51 AM
I think Mendenhall can be 10x the back Redman will ever be, but he's not right now and I also think he needs a message sent to him to make him reach that level. I'm in favor of completely benching him for a game or two and going with Redman, than moving back to Mendy as the starter, and if he still has issues than sharply decrease his carries.

Seriously though Mendy's been way better than this in the past, has a vastly superior skill set, and has not played long enough/been injured enough for his problem to be "wear and tear," it's something wrong with his instincts/mental game and might need some time in "the doghouse" to cure it like it did back in '09

Fire Arians
10-03-2011, 12:59 AM
I think Mendenhall can be 10x the back Redman will ever be, but he's not right now and I also think he needs a message sent to him to make him reach that level. I'm in favor of completely benching him for a game or two and going with Redman, than moving back to Mendy as the starter, and if he still has issues than sharply decrease his carries.

Seriously though Mendy's been way better than this in the past, has a vastly superior skill set, and has not played long enough/been injured enough for his problem to be "wear and tear," it's something wrong with his instincts/mental game and might need some time in "the doghouse" to cure it like it did back in '09

i agree with this 100% mendenhall is the much more talented of the two, but redman lighting a fire under is his may be a good thing. mendy hasn't been running with authority all year

skinart82
10-03-2011, 01:34 AM
REDMAN, this team needs a back that will make a defense hurt. Defenders use to hate tackling Bettis, Redman isn't as big, but he hits as hard!

Lokki
10-03-2011, 07:30 AM
Redman! :tt02:

ZoneBlitzer
10-03-2011, 08:59 AM
The scary thing is that it took an injury to Mendy for the coaching staff to figure this out. Tomlin always talks about accountability and what's on tape etc. Yet here's Redman performing better than Mendy every chance he gets. Tomlin must not be hitting record on the Tivo. Glad to see Redman in there, finally.

steelax04
10-03-2011, 09:46 AM
I was on the fence with this, thinking it was more of an O-line issue... but what I saw of the Texans game, Redman and even Moore got it done. After this showing, Mendy needs to be the change of pace back and not the heavy carrier. It's time for a shake-up and this would be my first order of business.

HAWK
10-03-2011, 10:06 AM
I don't think we should bench Mendy, but I've been saying for the last few years that Redman should get his share. He makes the most out of every opportunity he gets.

Buddha Bus
10-03-2011, 11:54 AM
I'm on board with Redman getting the bulk for awhile at least. Make Mendy sit and watch. Maybe it'll get him to wake up again like it did a couple of years ago when he got benched.

Sadly, this won't happen under Tomlin's watch without an injury. At least we get to see Redman start for a week minimum. But I assume Mendy starts as soon as he's healthy again.

deathrow821
10-03-2011, 11:59 AM
I've been saying this since last preseason. Glad to see my fellow Steelers fans feel the same way. It's definitely time for a change, Mendenhall has just been plain awful this year.

truesteelerfan
10-03-2011, 01:57 PM
Can Redman block? I'd like to see them both in there at the same time...instead of Johnson as a blocker...Redman gives his all every play, and not saying Johnson doesn't, but that pass that went right by Johnson was not a good effort.

Third Rail
10-03-2011, 02:07 PM
If we had a coach with balls like Sean Payton, Mendy would be riding the bench right now and Redman would be getting plenty of carries. Because some coaches understand that winning is more important than the guy with the big name or a big contract.

Meansteel
10-03-2011, 02:13 PM
Redman as 1st RB and Mendy as backup. Redman "the bowling ball" knows the direction of the end zone, something Mendy seems to have forgotten. And don't even get me started on Mendy's permanent audition for DWTS!

FanSince72
10-03-2011, 02:25 PM
Redman.

Mendy may one day write a book about the existential quiddity of holes in an offensive line,
but Redman seems content to just run through them - and right now we need that more than we need contemplation.

JustinM
10-03-2011, 05:11 PM
Running back committee!

steelcity1974
10-03-2011, 05:15 PM
But obviously our coaching staff isn't ballsy enough to make the switch.

That and since we all agree on the obvious, tomlin won't make the change out of spite. How dare anyone make a good suggestion.

Big7BenHOF
10-03-2011, 05:30 PM
Mendenhall's lack of performance was excused because of the offensive line complaints, but when Redman and Moore can contribute while Mendenhall can't, there's no excuse anymore. I say Redman starts next week and Mendenhall gets five-to-eight carries a game until he can prove that he deserves to start again. Mendenhall's been a head-case so far with his Twitter issues and his lack of production, and he's making me less and less of a fan of him every week.

fer522
10-03-2011, 06:23 PM
tomlin knows redman is better than mendy right now
but he's so stubborn that he will not do anything about it
he's gonna try to prove everybody wrong and keep playing mendy
even if that means losing games or the QB