PDA

View Full Version : Does ANYONE Still Have Faith in the 2011 Season?

RichardCullinanForever
10-02-2011, 06:19 PM
Lots of negative talk on these boards, for good reason. I thought perhaps if we made a statement today, like beating the Texans by double digits our D keeping the Texans under 200 total yards, then we could turn this season around, but now I have no faith for even making the playoffs. I see us finishing 7-9. This isn't a lack of 'hope' or that I'm 'giving up early,' it would be foolish deny the massive problems that this team has. They are just too large to overcome for 2011.

SteeleReign
10-02-2011, 06:23 PM
It doesn't look good. But, like I tell my two die-hard Steeler fan daughters...if you're a Steeler fan for as long as I have been (35 years), you will go through a lot of highs and a few lows. You take the good with the bad & know that we'll claw back to the top of the heap soon...whether it's this year, next year, or the following...we will be back on top!!!

steelfury02
10-02-2011, 06:25 PM
I think at this juncture - all we can hope for is

1. Some sign of progress on the o-line
2. Ben's survival
3. Some change up with play calling to see if there is a spark somewhere
4. The "young gun" receivers continued growth
5. Some youth injected on defense
6. At least winning at Heinz against teams not called New England Patriots
7. If we make it to 9-7 at this rate, consider it a season that shows signs of promise for the future or
8. A wild card spot and we catch some fire at the end
9. Completely shock everyone, do a 180 starting now, somehow win the division and live up to our potential going after #7
10. Above all, hope for #1

cloppbeast
10-02-2011, 06:31 PM
I do. I said on another thread, if Mendenhall's injury amounts to any missed time, Redman could re-establish a running game. Brown looks very good. These terrible offensive performances may convince Arians to play the better players, namely Brown and Redman. I think this offense could score two more TDs per game if they incorporated #84 and #33 in their offensive game-plan.

3rdandlong
10-02-2011, 06:35 PM
The only faith that I could have is that we have a very weak schedule. But even that being the case, I don't see us in the playoffs. I'm not sure we can beat Cleveland

How does the defense go from being one of the best run defenses ever seven months ago to being at the bottom of the NFL this year? With our defense not being able to carry the team this year, the offensive line, Arians play calling, Tomlin's poor coaching, I don't see us being good this year

PhantomJB93
10-02-2011, 06:36 PM
No.

Draft a legitimate OT next year and start Hood and Sylvester and we might have a Super Bowl caliber team again, but there are far too many problems this year to salvage anything.

We'll probably still make the playoffs because of our cupcake schedule but I wouldn't expect any impressive wins (meaning against the Patriots or Ravens) and I would expect to go one and done in the playoffs.

And I am having serious questions about Tomlin as a coach, he says all the right things but it seems like he just has no control over this team and can't get them to make adjustments (or is too stubborn to try making adjustments in the first place). I know he's been to two Super Bowls but he's entering the point in his career where the team is more his than what he inherited from Cowher and it's not looking too bright.

/bridge jumping rant

Atlanta Dan
10-02-2011, 06:37 PM
No faith here

It is October 2 and only 12 games remain in the regular season

After tonight the Steelers will be tied or one game behind the Ravens

All is lost

steelfury02
10-02-2011, 06:45 PM
The bottom line is that the next two games are AFC games at home with 5 of 6 games against AFC opponents before bye. We don't go into the bye with a 7-3 or 6-4 record we are fuked.

steelfury02
10-02-2011, 06:47 PM
Oh yea - and if you are one of the people that think this particular team can't lose against the Browns or Bengals you are fooling yourself. We don't have the mental toughness thus far. Unless we turn it around - I expect to split at least one of those series. You honestly think we are going to win every game after the bye because it is supposedly "cake" - tell that to the 09' version of the Steelers who are seeming more and more similar - oh yea, except the 11' team sucks worse.

Atlanta Dan
10-02-2011, 06:52 PM
Oh yea - and if you are one of the people that think this particular team can't lose against the Browns or Bengals you are fooling yourself. We don't have the mental toughness thus far. Unless we turn it around - I expect to split at least one of those series. You honestly think we are going to win every game after the bye because it is supposedly "cake" - tell that to the 09' version of the Steelers who are seeming more and more similar - oh yea, except the 11' team sucks worse.

ke5Mr5eCF2U

pete74
10-02-2011, 06:56 PM
i dont see us making playoffs this year. our defense is weak and our offensive line is a joke. our entire line needs rebuilt and all there going to do this year is get whatever QB that is back there killed. i said earlier in the year that ben wont make the season and i gurentee that. at least we can get a good draft pick but the question is do we go NT or OT???

SteelCityMom
10-02-2011, 07:00 PM
i dont see us making playoffs this year. our defense is weak and our offensive line is a joke. our entire line needs rebuilt and all there going to do this year is get whatever QB that is back there killed. i said earlier in the year that ben wont make the season and i gurentee that. at least we can get a good draft pick but the question is do we go NT or OT???

I think NT for sure. I'd love to see them draft some decent OT (and lord knows we need them), but we literally have NO ONE to fill Hamptons shoes (except Hoke). That is one of my biggest concerns honestly.

We have guys that we have drafted and are supposed to be molded into OL players...but literally NOTHING on NT. I'd focus on that first (get the best player available) and then address the OT and CB issues. Draft scouts SHOULD be able to handle that.

LVSteelersfan
10-02-2011, 07:00 PM
I always keep the faith until the Steelers are eliminated. It was definitely bad out there today but they still had a chance at the very end. The defense was slightly better in the second half. If Ben is out for any time, it is probably going to be a lost season. But I haven't given up completely yet. I am irritated with the defense for allowing them to run all over us. But even with the butt whooping, they only got 17 points.

frunko1
10-02-2011, 07:06 PM
I think the steelers can turn it around. The key being the running game aka Redman.

Leave Mendy on the sidelines and run Redman hard and often. The defense is doing well keeping points off the board. If we had a run game to eat clock and help out everything would get better.

Redman is running well behind this crap line, let him get 3-4 yards up the middle consistently. It will build the o-lines confidence, allow ben to play action, and give our old defense some rest.

If they keep doing what they are doing, aka letting mendy look like a ballerina, and letting the opposing teams defense tee off on Ben, then this season will be over at the halfway point.

A consistent run game will fix all the offensive issues.

tanda10506
10-02-2011, 07:07 PM
I definetly do because every problem except the o line with our current team. Problem is Tomlin is to hard headed or arrogant to make most of the changes we need. I still think we can make a wild card if the players correct some of the problems that they can on their own. This team has been getting by a long time with a bad o line, if we made big changes that need to be made and at least one more o lineman steps up we could still win the division. I doubt that they will make the neccesary changes though, but due to how easy the schedule is we will still most likely go 10-6 or 9-7. I know we play like a 6-10 team right now, but we will be a bit better then and will beat most of the bad teams. We will see, I still have hope.

Steel4ever95
10-02-2011, 07:22 PM
I still have faith, and will continue to have it until the Steelers are officially eliminated from playoff contention. As of right now the O-line is the biggest problem, really there is no quick fix so I guess we are all gunna have to get used to seeing Ben take a TON of hits. Not to sure whats up with the d, they just dont seem to have it this year at all, hopefully some new blood can come in an shake things up a bit...probably gunna happen next year though, it would be nice to see some sacks or a few turnovers go the Steelers way, that could go a long way in helping turn the defense around.

I think my biggest complaint with Tomlin is he really doesnt do to much to fire up the players, or at least it seems that way to me, it would be nice to see him get in a guys face after a bad play or even a good play.

cubanstogie
10-02-2011, 07:29 PM
If the Steelers don't finish 10-6 with this schedule then they are worse than I thought. The schedule should be a cakewalk. With that said, its a long season and is possible they could get lucky and win the wild card game but I don't see much more.

Wallabeast17
10-02-2011, 07:43 PM
As long as Ben stays healthy, we have a chance...but with this pile of Sh1t OL, look he is in a walking boot probably out for a few games...

steelfury02
10-02-2011, 07:46 PM
The problem is - Arians is probably convincing Tomlin as we speak that it was an execution issue and has nothing to do with personnel and offensive scheme - therefore we will keep running our heads into the wall saying "We aren't worrried, the O-line just needs time to gel, a lot of it is Ben needing to get rid of the ball, :blah:" we are currently the type of team that will split one of the series against eitiher Cleveland or Cincy and will probably lose another one in that "cake stretch" we are all looking at.

55BaileyFan
10-02-2011, 07:54 PM
If the D makes corrections then their is still hope. No one is separating themselves in the division or the AFC for that matter...it is possible and I have faith that they will do it. If they play their best football later in the season...who knows.

PhantomJB93
10-02-2011, 08:16 PM
I think NT for sure. I'd love to see them draft some decent OT (and lord knows we need them), but we literally have NO ONE to fill Hamptons shoes (except Hoke). That is one of my biggest concerns honestly.

We have guys that we have drafted and are supposed to be molded into OL players...but literally NOTHING on NT. I'd focus on that first (get the best player available) and then address the OT and CB issues. Draft scouts SHOULD be able to handle that.

While both need to be addressed, and NT depth may not be good, I disagree; I think it's much easier to find good NT depth later in the draft while good Oline talent rarely escapes the first two rounds.

Rarely do more than 2-3 NTs (Im talking strictly 3-4 NT prospects, not DT prospects in general) go in the first 2 rounds, but 2-3 good tackles can go in the first 16 picks easily.

steeltheone
10-02-2011, 08:53 PM

Hampton the guy that takes up two blockers, is and has been a fairy tail like Smith...You cant start 35 year olds and expect to compete.

OX1947
10-02-2011, 08:59 PM
Faith has nothing to do with it. Steelers are Swiss cheese on the line on both sides. Those are staples of our history. Even, as bad as our line has been the last few years, this year age, injuries and a combination of Big Ben turning the ball over, has been detrimental.

Steel_Bus_24
10-02-2011, 09:04 PM
I always keep the faith until the Steelers are eliminated. It was definitely bad out there today but they still had a chance at the very end. The defense was slightly better in the second half. If Ben is out for any time, it is probably going to be a lost season. But I haven't given up completely yet. I am irritated with the defense for allowing them to run all over us. But even with the butt whooping, they only got 17 points.

thats because of the refs/penalties....Don't be fooled, we are a really crappy team right now

Had we been steadily getting better since the week 1 disaster, I might have more hope.....but it looks very very bleak right now to me that we get to the playoffs.....and maybe not 8-8

ZoneBlitzer
10-02-2011, 10:07 PM
This team is starting the downward slide. They've invested in the wrong talent and there's not much of a bright future waiting in the wings. Trends have developed over the last couple of seasons. Gone is a team that once played situational and complimentary football. This team gives up the ball too easily and earns few takeaways. The offense has also consistently stalled. They are certainly are not imposing their will that's for damn sure. The head in the sand attitude from the leadership group of management and coaches is nauseating to take. The platitudes from Tomlin also make me puke as he continues to reward poor performers despite putting garbage on 'tape". Like I said before, the beginning of the end has started for this corp group. It's time to draft for the O line and at QB. The sun is setting on Ben's career.

RichardCullinanForever
10-02-2011, 10:19 PM
This team is starting the downward slide. They've invested in the wrong talent and there's not much of a bright future waiting in the wings. Trends have developed over the last couple of seasons. Gone is a team that once played situational and complimentary football. This team gives up the ball too easily and earns few takeaways. The offense has also consistently stalled. They are certainly are not imposing their will that's for damn sure. The head in the sand attitude from the leadership group of management and coaches is nauseating to take. The platitudes from Tomlin also make me puke as he continues to reward poor performers despite putting garbage on 'tape". Like I said before, the beginning of the end has started for this corp group. It's time to draft for the O line and at QB. The sun is setting on Ben's career.

Why do you presume that it is Ben's fault for his poor performances? He's got no O-Line. I mean, in 2008 and 2010 we all were whining how Ben hardly had a line (which he didn't, but we actually had a great D to make up for an average offense), but now he REALLY doesn't have one. I bet if the line was decent he'd be throwing the ball as good as ever.

ZoneBlitzer
10-02-2011, 10:27 PM
Why do you presume that it is Ben's fault for his poor performances? He's got no O-Line. I mean, in 2008 and 2010 we all were whining how Ben hardly had a line (which he didn't, but we actually had a great D to make up for an average offense), but now he REALLY doesn't have one. I bet if the line was decent he'd be throwing the ball as good as ever.

Not putting it all on Ben. But he has lost some of his accuracy. I think the beating he has taken over the last couple of years had taken its toll on him as a pro. I don't think he will make it to ten years. He also needs a bit of a push from other talent. He needs to understand that as a veteran leader, turnovers will not be tolerated. He is too careless with the ball. He's becoming a bad gunslinger.

tanda10506
10-02-2011, 10:59 PM
As soon as Ben gets a decent o line he will be as good as he always had. We have not invested in the wrong talent, we just need a bit more on the o line. I agree though that the coaches attitude is stupid and unrealistic. Most of the corp group you reffer to will probably retire this year. We got some good young DE's and CB's and a young replacement for farrior. Our QB and WR's will be here next year as well as Taylor, Clark, and Polamalu. Even more important, Ariabs will be gone. It doesnt have to be a down slude and rebuild, lets start playing the young guys!

Danny136200
10-02-2011, 11:05 PM
Lots of negative talk on these boards, for good reason. I thought perhaps if we made a statement today, like beating the Texans by double digits our D keeping the Texans under 200 total yards, then we could turn this season around, but now I have no faith for even making the playoffs. I see us finishing 7-9. This isn't a lack of 'hope' or that I'm 'giving up early,' it would be foolish deny the massive problems that this team has. They are just too large to overcome for 2011.
Right now, im just hoping Ben survives the season.

But really, we have a pretty easy schedule from here on out. I can see us getting into the playoffs again, but I really dont know about mounting a playoff run.

caplovestroyp43
10-02-2011, 11:16 PM
I still believe! Heck it's only the first four games. We do have troubles, there is no doubt. But I think they will iron themselves out and we'll be fine.

We usually are!

GO STEELERS!!

Fire Arians
10-02-2011, 11:39 PM
I think we are one good offensive line away from being contenders again. problem is that we have zero talent on that line minus pouncey and gilbert, and that's not quite enough to make up a good unit. We don't have any promising up and comers at guard or LT.

we will miss the playoffs. I just hope ben can make it through the season without getting killed

our coaches need to stop playing grab-ass with their veterans and bench them in favor of more effective players. hood should have been a starter from day 1. heyward I think at this point already would be more effective than smith, if he's strong enough to not be knocked on his ass every play. perhaps rotate mclendon with casey hampton. I do like what I'm seeing from keenan lewis and our young secondary players. antonio brown is establishing himself as a playmaker in both the offense and special teams. might as well see what sylvester is capable of and put him in the rotation because farrior and foote aren't the answer. they need someone to call the defenses, can't timmons do that?

plenewken
10-03-2011, 05:46 AM
Based on what the Steelers have shown so far this season, whoever believes they'll make the playoffs should pass around what he's smoking ............
Nothing good will come out of this team offensively as long as Arians is here. And by the way, I don't see Tomlin being capable of righting the boat either.
Sorry.