PDA

View Full Version : Turning Point of the Game

tony hipchest
10-02-2011, 10:39 PM
in the 3rd quarter the steelers had tied the game on 2 consecutive scoring drives and held the texans to a 3 and out.

on the texans 2nd drive of the quarter it was 3rd and 6 and the steelers were ready for another 3 and out, completely turning all momentum in their favor.

a pass to a wr/te (#81?) was plucked off the grass and ruled a 1st down.

the ball obviously was touching the ground and i have never seen this ruled a completion despite him having control. the only time (since keyshawn johnson inspired the rule change with the buc 10 years ago) i have ever seen this ruled a completion is when the receiver is falling to the ground and has atleast some part of his hand under a significant portion of the ball.

it is understood that when a receiver has his hands underneath the body of the ball and the nose of the ball touches the ground while their is no shift and control is maintained it is a completion.

immediate momentum shift. the texans score within 4 plays to make it 17-10 (which winds up being the final score).

now the steelers still had plenty of opportunities to tie it up, and this error by the refs in no way cost us the game, but it was the turning point of the game....

hence the title of this thread- turning point of the game. as bad as this game was, it was a single blown call away from being completely different.

mashsoccer37
10-02-2011, 10:46 PM
I thought he had complete control and it was a catch.... I don't think there was a turning point of the game, they had control of the game from the beginning to the end with a small period of time where things looked slightly hopeful for us

grward
10-02-2011, 10:51 PM
I agree Mash, there's no such thing as a turning point when the other teams dominates the entire 1st half. I'm getting frustrated watching Tomlin on the sideline acting as though he's watching a Republican debate. If he can't get fired up how will the team get fired up?

OX1947
10-02-2011, 10:56 PM
I agree Mash, there's no such thing as a turning point when the other teams dominates the entire 1st half. I'm getting frustrated watching Tomlin on the sideline acting as though he's watching a Republican debate. If he can't get fired up how will the team get fired up?

Fired up shit is worthless when both your lines are getting destroyed. Also, no pass rush.

tony hipchest
10-02-2011, 11:01 PM
I thought he had complete control and it was a catchit was on the ground. hand wasnt under the ball while it was on the ground as well.

i guess they just started interpreting the rule differently.

either way, many games have a turning point (theres even a new NFL films television show dedicated to it).

not getting a 2nd consecutive 3 and out and allowing a quick td with the score tied, was the turning point in todays game.

teh texans regained momentum and the steelers never recovered.

DanRooney
10-03-2011, 12:46 AM
Really? The turning point in the game. A catch they showed on replay that everyone saw was legit? Not any of the several plays where the Texans dominating our front 7 in the run game? Not the Arian Foster 40 yard TD run where Woodley loops wide and misses him and blocks Troy? A catch that was obviously a catch?

lmao. Delusional.

tony hipchest
10-03-2011, 12:59 AM
how did i know you would object the obvious?

a 10-10 tie.

a third and 6 play that was either gonna turn into a 3 and out or a first down.

it turned into a first down and a 7 point score 3 - 4 plays later.

= 17-10

final score- 17-10.

yes, that play was the turning point.

its a shame i have to explain things so simple. tomorrow, if you go outside and stand on the corner before 8 AM it will be a short little yellow bus picking you up to take you to school. please follow directions.

:hatsoff: thank you.

and dont forget to pick up your report card stamped with "F" for FAIL! :laughing:

PhantomJB93
10-03-2011, 01:59 AM
While we may be able to pinpoint this as a "turning point" we cannot blame the game on this call. I mean, the refs practically went out of their way to penalize the Texans today and we couldn't take advantage of anything.

Fire Arians
10-03-2011, 02:03 AM
farrior getting beat for a huge gain, lamarr "jason gildong" woodley losing contain and not only that but getting in the way of troy making a play that he should have made

tony hipchest
10-03-2011, 02:20 AM
While we may be able to pinpoint this as a "turning point" we cannot blame the game on this call. I mean, the refs practically went out of their way to penalize the Texans today and we couldn't take advantage of anything.

we already covered this point in the first post of this thread.

thanks.:drink:

Acerinox
10-03-2011, 02:21 AM
I'm with Tony. I'm not saying the call was wrong, though it surprised me. I'm not saying that it was the "reason we lost the game", or "OMGWTFBBQ the refz r biassss conspiracy the Mafia!!1!". But that catch was definitely a turning point for momentum. For all sorts of reasons.

I do believe we would have won the game if it was ruled incomplete. Opinion!

PhantomJB93
10-03-2011, 02:30 AM
we already covered this point in the first post of this thread.

thanks.:drink:

Yeah that's my bad, it's 2AM and I was too lazy to read the whole OP I just read like the first half lol :doh:

tony hipchest
10-03-2011, 02:37 AM
I'm with Tony. I'm not saying the call was wrong, though it surprised me. I'm not saying that it was the "reason we lost the game", or "OMGWTFBBQ the refz r biassss conspiracy the Mafia!!1!". But that catch was definitely a turning point for momentum. For all sorts of reasons.

I do believe we would have won the game if it was ruled incomplete. Opinion!

exactly.

Yeah that's my bad, it's 2AM and I was too lazy to read the whole OP I just read like the first half lol :doh:

:chuckle: no prob. its been a looong day and im about ready to crash myself.

the crankiness from this weeks loss has just about subsided (although im sure several nimrod imbiciles will crank it up during the week) and im ready to move on. :tt03:

Steeldude
10-03-2011, 03:05 AM
i thought the turning point of the game was during the coin toss :rofl:

NEWstevo
10-03-2011, 09:50 AM
I saw that too, and it definately wasn't a catch. So instead of 4th down and punting, the Texans scored two plays later. The Steelers were barely holding on to momentum and at that point they either get the ball back tied with some rhythm, or down a TD with ZERO momentum.

Yeah, they had other chances, and there was tons of missed plays... bla bla bla. But I completely agree that (if there was just one, then) it was the game changing play.

Still, the Steelers didn't deserve to win. They were lucky the final score wasn't 34-10. So a record of 2-2, or 3-1 means nothing if they keep playing bad and can't make the playoffs.

ZoneBlitzer
10-03-2011, 09:55 AM
The Steelers blew it offensively when they received excellent field position very late in the fourth quarter. Instead of seizing the opportunity of a great kick return, they choked and did nothing on offense to move the ball. Despite the pounding the D took, the game was still within their grasp and the offense blew it.

Rick5895
10-03-2011, 11:42 AM
It looked like a catch to me, but I am not going to debate that here, the turning point IMO happened after the TD, when our retarded OC decided that because we were down by a TD with a 8=10 minutes left in the game we had to pass and go 4 and 5 wide. To hell with the run that Houston was unable to stop.
That my friends was the turning point. I Bleed Steeler football and am coming to the Burgh to see them (hopefully) lay a smack down on the Titans, but I am getting really tired of seeing this very talented offensive team wasting away under the tutelege of of a guy who couldn't operate a jukebox if you gave him a quarter.

Danny136200
10-03-2011, 12:22 PM
I thought he had complete control and it was a catch.... I don't think there was a turning point of the game, they had control of the game from the beginning to the end with a small period of time where things looked slightly hopeful for us
No, in the 3rd quarter, we started to dominate the game with an effictive running game (with mendenhall, whom i defended in the past, on the sideline). In the 3rd quarter, the texans had a lot of trouble running the ball and passing it too (number one pass defense in the NFL, YAY!!!!) we had control of the game in the third quarter; but then, the pressure was getting on Ben and the offense started to sputter. Thats when the texans got the momentum back.

tony hipchest
10-03-2011, 03:17 PM
Really? ... Not the Arian Foster 40 yard TD run where Woodley loops wide and misses him and blocks Troy?

lmao. Delusional.

are you referring the the TD run exactly 2 plays after (and a direct result of) the play i outlined as the turning point of the game?

LMFAILAO!

most of the time when you disagree for the sake of disagreeing and being argumentative, you dont make yourself look any smarter (if thats possible), especially when you make a point that only strengthens mine.

you just sunk the failboat. thanks though.... 'preciate it! :thumbsup:

lets review-

steelers ended the 1st half with a drive down the field that ended in (much like your post) failed fg attempt.

they immediately got the ball back and drove down the entire field for a lengthy td drive.

after forcing a texans 3 and out, they got the ball back and drove down the field again for a lengthy fg attempt and score. at that point, the steelers controlled the ball for over 15 minutes in 3 drives vs just a minute and a half for texans.

in what was looking to be a huge time of possession change the steelers were on the cusp of another 3 and out. forcing a failed 3rd down conversion would have completely siezed momentum and taken over control of the game.

instead a blown call took the wind out of their sails.

a ball that hits the ground is NOT an "obvious" reception, despite your delusional perception. people who know the game and closely watched the play agree. why do you think TX hurried back to the huddle and snapped the ball before PITT could challenge? :tap: :dang: helloooo... mcfly.....

Goldsteel86
10-03-2011, 03:35 PM
Turning point of the game, that's easy, the Opening Kickoff, getting totally dominated throughout. Being lucky that the Texans made stupid mistakes that two touchdowns were called back, if not it would have been a 34-10 drumming ala week 1.:banging:

tony hipchest
10-03-2011, 04:02 PM
Turning point of the game, that's easy, the Opening Kickoff, getting totally dominated throughout. Being lucky that the Texans made stupid mistakes that two touchdowns were called back, if not it would have been a 34-10 drumming ala week 1.:banging:its very possible d. sepulveda woulda caught the hot dogging texan (joseph?) returning the blocked kick for a td, thus ending the half.

i was also glad that int return was called back. if memory serves me correctly, ike taylor had an int return td called back last year vs the bills, when james harrison hit fitzpatrick late or low. i dont agree with the rule but good to see it doesnt just work against the steelers.

as HORRIBLE as the 1st half was, i find it funny that this team is getting absolutely no credit for having it all squared up midway through the 3rd quarter.

if this team had actually won, i imagine the fans would be even more negative and upset for "wiinning ugly" and "almost losing".

but yeah, the turning point was when they stepped off the bus. :coffee:

cloppbeast
10-03-2011, 04:14 PM
the ball obviously was touching the ground and i have never seen this ruled a completion despite him having control.
I thought the officials made the right call, mainly because it doesn't matter whether or not the ball touches the ground. The announcers even said the ball can touch the turf as long as the reciever has control of it. It looked clear to me that the tight end had control.

Plus, the guy was wide open. That pass should have went for another 20 yards had not Schaub thrown like girl. That was one of the worst passes I have ever seen from an NFL QB - and that's saying a lot considering I've watch almost every game Ben has played! :chuckle:

Goldsteel86
10-03-2011, 04:25 PM
its very possible d. sepulveda woulda caught the hot dogging texan (joseph?) returning the blocked kick for a td, thus ending the half.

i was also glad that int return was called back. if memory serves me correctly, ike taylor had an int return td called back last year vs the bills, when james harrison hit fitzpatrick late or low. i dont agree with the rule but good to see it doesnt just work against the steelers.

as HORRIBLE as the 1st half was, i find it funny that this team is getting absolutely no credit for having it all squared up midway through the 3rd quarter.

if this team had actually won, i imagine the fans would be even more negative and upset for "wiinning ugly" and "almost losing".

but yeah, the turning point was when they stepped off the bus. :coffee:

You my man have a good point, yes at least this Steeler fan would have b***hed if it was an ugly win, not the fact it was a win so to speak, but the the ugly fashion in which it happened. Once again you are correct, Ike did return one for a TD that was called back, correct me if I'm wrong, wouldn't that have been his first pick six of his career?

Also, just like the SB, if you listen to how you will lose all week your back is against the wall, geez, Ed Bouchette even said how the Steelers would lose. You don't have to play up (or down) to those expectations, yes lastly as much as I hate to say it, you're right, the game was over once the Steelers stepped off the bus!!!!!

tony hipchest
10-03-2011, 04:32 PM
I thought the officials made the right call, mainly because it doesn't matter whether or not the ball touches the ground. The announcers even said the ball can touch the turf as long as the reciever has control of it. It looked clear to me that the tight end had control.

Plus, the guy was wide open. That pass should have went for another 20 yards had not Schaub thrown like girl. That was one of the worst passes I have ever seen from an NFL QB - and that's saying a lot considering I've watch almost every game Ben has played! :chuckle:the pressure of the rush was bearing down on him, and that shitty throw reflected as much. he had quite a few crap throws and misfires, due to pressure.

as for the "control" deal, it is a subjective call that changes week to week, crew by crew. there are plenty of times i have seen better catches ruled incomplete.

the ball must be controlled BEFORE it touches the ground, not as it rests upon the ground (thats called cherry picking it off the turf).

and the announcer you speak of was dan deirdorf.

'nuff said. :coffee: (i really wish people wouldnt take announcers word as gospel- deirdork was off the mark all day, and i actually liked him back when he was more lucid on mnf).

tony hipchest
10-03-2011, 04:40 PM
You my man have a good point, yes at least this Steeler fan would have b***hed if it was an ugly win, not the fact it was a win so to speak, but the the ugly fashion in which it happened. Once again you are correct, Ike did return one for a TD that was called back, correct me if I'm wrong, wouldn't that have been his first pick six of his career?

Also, just like the SB, if you listen to how you will lose all week your back is against the wall, geez, Ed Bouchette even said how the Steelers would lose. You don't have to play up (or down) to those expectations, yes lastly as much as I hate to say it, you're right, the game was over once the Steelers stepped off the bus!!!!!im pretty sure it was his first career int return for td. hell, im just happy when he actually catches the ball, i was so pissed they wiped it off the board.

i mean the foul happens long after the errant throw is already made. kind of a dumb rule imo, but if its gonna work against us, its good to see it work for us (it would make more sense if the penalty occured during the act of throwing). last year that penalty enabled OT and almost a loss.

this year it made a win or OT still possible.

stb_steeler
10-03-2011, 04:50 PM
i thought the turning point of the game was during the coin toss :rofl:

Yuuuuuuup......Steelers were beat from the start of the coin toss....

cloppbeast
10-03-2011, 06:06 PM
and the announcer you speak of was dan deirdorf.

'nuff said. :coffee: (i really wish people wouldnt take announcers word as gospel- deirdork was off the mark all day, and i actually liked him back when he was more lucid on mnf).

Deirdorf is an idiot. But he gets some things right, though. He at least understood that particular rule.

I personally agreed with the call, and I didn't think it was close.

You're right though, it is subjective though. I think it's a stretch to say a subjective iffy call was the turning point in the game.

Goldsteel86
10-03-2011, 06:30 PM
Truthfully, I believe the Deirdorf called the game even. Now hold on, it has been known that he has been anti-Steeler in the past, but for conversation he seemed at times very pro-Steeler. He was one of the first ones to stand by the block in the back on the blocked kick. As a matter of fact he was saying the one thing that we all on here are saying, Ben needs help, not that he feels for the Steelers but he did side on times wit the Steelers.

tony hipchest
10-03-2011, 07:36 PM
You're right though, it is subjective though. I think it's a stretch to say a subjective iffy call was the turning point in the game.i think its a stretch to say that particular play wasnt.

anyone with the reading comprehension of a 6th grader, and the attention span capable of getting them through several posts, clearly see's that my take isnt that an iffy call was the turning point of the game, but failure to prevent a a 6 yd, third down conversion. (which would have prevented the WINNING score) was. :dang: we get the ball back there, and i believe we win the game.

do people really believe smoking 8 lbs of reefer is safe and DOESNT kill brain cells? :smoker:

un****ingbelievable.

Truthfully, I believe the Deirdorf called the game even. Now hold on, it has been known that he has been anti-Steeler in the past, but for conversation he seemed at times very pro-Steeler. He was one of the first ones to stand by the block in the back on the blocked kick. As a matter of fact he was saying the one thing that we all on here are saying, Ben needs help, not that he feels for the Steelers but he did side on times wit the Steelers.oh, deirdorf was ballanced, im just correctly pointing out that everything he says cant be taken as gospel. for instance, on the play you refer to, he said a defender wasnt w/in 15 yards. of course he had to go back and ammend that when it was paimfully obvious that one of the quicker and more atheletic punters in the league was almost within arms reach (2 yards).

Goldsteel86
10-03-2011, 08:43 PM
i think its a stretch to say that particular play wasnt.

anyone with the reading comprehension of a 6th grader, and the attention span capable of getting them through several posts, clearly see's that my take isnt that an iffy call was the turning point of the game, but failure to prevent a a 6 yd, third down conversion. (which would have prevented the WINNING score) was. :dang: we get the ball back there, and i believe we win the game.

do people really believe smoking 8 lbs of reefer is safe and DOESNT kill brain cells? :smoker:

un****ingbelievable.

oh, deirdorf was ballanced, im just correctly pointing out that everything he says cant be taken as gospel. for instance, on the play you refer to, he said a defender wasnt w/in 15 yards. of course he had to go back and ammend that when it was paimfully obvious that one of the quicker and more atheletic punters in the league was almost within arms reach (2 yards).

Please by no means was I trying to say the Deirdorf was accurate, and under no circumstances is his or any other announcer's word by any stretch of the means gospel. However, seeing the last couple of announcers we have been subject to, Cris Collinsworth and Phil Simms to name a few lately, Deirdorf was pretty middle of the road with the Steelers, that's all I was trying to say. Please do not think that there will ever be an announcer that will side with the Steelers more than that of the "King of Polka" the late, great Myron Cope!

cloppbeast
10-03-2011, 08:53 PM
i think its a stretch to say that particular play wasnt.

un****ingbelievable.

Will you just take it easy? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCujz2HzE7M)

I understand the play was the turning point in the game. That's a given.

You said the call was the turning point of the game. I don't buy it. The Steelers leaving the guy wide open was the turning point. Whether it was a catch or not was debatable; but I don't think the refs failing side with us on an iffy call should be considered a turning point in the game.

tony hipchest
10-03-2011, 09:13 PM
Will you just take it easy? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCujz2HzE7M)

.:chuckle:

agree. the play was definitely the turning point, and the steelers failure to prevent a 3rd down pick up is ultimately to blame.

just as easilly as the call coulda been called like ive seen it dozens of times before (incomplete), it coulda been a few inches higher and been a spectacular (legit) shoestring catch.

i just like to point out the inconsistancies of calls and how they can contribute to such turning points. if the refs called incomplete there was nothing to overturn it. in a game of inches and momentum, it worked out in the texsans favor.

as i said, there was still over a quarter to right the ship., but the team seemed beaten and deflated after that quick TD.

Stallion
10-03-2011, 11:13 PM
I went to Houston for the game. Yes, O line is patchwork but the D can't stop the RUN. Turning point of the game was when Foster ran onto the field then proceeded to pound out 155 yards, plus another 20 from Tate-almost 200 on the ground. Texans lost Andre early but overcame that plus 14 points off the board from penalties and a sack/fumble overturned. Hard to imagine this team was in SB last February.

Rotorhead
10-03-2011, 11:42 PM
Well there are a few others we could put in place, Woodley losing containment on Foster, and instead of trying to tackle him or even slow him, he tries for a strip and in the process takes out a pursuing Troy, resulting in a Houston TD. Or the end of the first half Pouncey Debacle giving us 0 pts instead a possible 7 or for sure 3. Or BA changing from a power running game (which got us a nice long drive to the redzone) to the crap that didnt work all game resulting in a FG.

tony hipchest
10-07-2011, 02:11 AM
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/08/22/nfl-films-nbc-sports-group-partner-to-present-new-weekly-series-nfl-turning-point/100929/

via press release:

NFL FILMS & NBC SPORTS GROUP PARTNER TO PRESENT NFL TURNING POINT – A NEW WEEKLY SERIES ON VERSUS

NFL Turning Point Debuts Thursday, September 15, at 10 p.m. ET/PT

First NFL Program Ever on VERSUS

NEW YORK – August 22, 2011 – Every game has a turning point and NFL Films and the NBC Sports Group are partnering to cover that crucial moment for football fans in a more in-depth way than ever before by launching a new one-hour program, NFL Turning Point, that will air weekly on VERSUS during the NFL regular season. It is the first NFL program ever to air on VERSUS, which will be re-named the NBC Sports Network on January 2. The announcement was made today by NFL Films President Steve Sabol and Mark Lazarus, Chairman, NBC Sports Group.

Each week, NFL Films will utilize its unprecedented access to cover two games in its traditional behind-the-scenes, award-winning style. The crucial moment in each game -- its turning point -- will be examined in-depth and from all angles using NFL Films’ unmatched cinematography, sideline and on-field audio as well as postgame access to players and coaches.

“Showcasing the sounds and images of the game, from the smallest detail to the big picture has been our strength for nearly 50 years,” said Sabol. “We are thrilled to get an opportunity to produce that type of show with a new partner in VERSUS.”

The new program debuts Thursday, September 15, at 10 p.m. ET/PT and airs a new episode at that time every week through November 3. Beginning on November 10, when Thursday night NFL games begin on NFL Network, new episodes of NFL Turning Point will air at midnight ET.

“NFL Turning Point is symbolic of the high-quality, relevant programming viewers will see more of on our national, all-sports cable platform,” said Lazarus. “It unites two of sports’ premier storytellers in NBC Sports and NFL Films to bring viewers a new perspective on the game.”

NFL Turning Point will often include games featuring teams that are playing against each other the upcoming week on NBC’s Sunday Night Football, providing additional promotion for the No. 1 primetime show of the fall.

-- NBC Sports Group --

so out of 16 weeks per game, the producers pick 2 games, that have the most crucial and obvious "turning point" to highlight.

out of the 16 games in week 4, nfl films production, and nbc sports decided to highlight the texans-steelers game.

:scratchchin: hmmmm.... i wonder what single play in the game was the one they decided to define as the "turning point"? :tap:

NOTE: before the season the VP of nbc sports gave an interview to sirius radio about this show and the target audience. it isnt a typical highlight show for the average fan that only has rudimentary understanding of the game. it targets the die hard fans who search for in depth knowledge and analysis; those whos understanding of the x's and o's and intricate details of wins and losses are above the line. basically, this show targets the die hard football junkies.

they better fire that guy and hire somebody from this message board who knows and understands more football than steve and ed sabol.

they obviously miss the mark by not making an ESPN highlight of a 40 yd td run the central focus of a 20 minute segment.

basically, i started this thread already knowing that single play would make the show. :noidea: some things are only "obvious" to some. :smile: