PDA

View Full Version : 2-2; The Cup half full thread

ETL
10-03-2011, 11:27 PM
Chug, chug, chug - I just downed by Steeler's Kool-Aid.

Hey people. The sky is NOT falling. We've lost to two playoff caliber teams on their home fields.

The Baltimore loss was ugly with all the turnovers and the final score reflected that but I don't think Baltimore is always 35-7 better than us. The only thing that matters is a L on our record and even the ardent Steeler fan would concede a loss was somewhat likely when we play the Ravens in Baltimore. Even if we lost 17-16, it counts just the same.

We beat a team that we should have 24-0 in the Seahawks. That's a sign of a good team - win the ones that you should.

We beat an AFC team on the road in the Colts. That's always a worthy accomplishment despite Manning being out.

And we lost to a surging playoff-caliber team in the Texans on the road. But we limited their offense to only 17 points. I thought we could win this game but I am not surprised that we lost.

Some other positives:

1. We are only 1 game behind the Ravens right now
2. We have games against the Chiefs, Jags, NFC West, Bengals and Browns left on our schedule
3. Baron Batch will play for us next year
4. We have one of the toughest sonabitches as QB in Ben
5. Gay is having a decent year

I am not blind to the things that are wrong on this team. Our defense looks porous at times and our OL plays like shit. But let the coaches coach and see what they come up with. Let them work on this OL, let them work on the DL and let see. They deserve our benefit of doubt as they have several Super Bowls on their resume.

I confess I bitch and moan just like most of you on gameday. But when I step back, take a deep breath and look at the whole - I still find the cup half full. Go Steelers!

tony hipchest
10-04-2011, 12:03 AM
i find the cup half full as well.

at this point we are one game behind in securing home field advantage throughout the playoffs.

i for one, will never toss in the towel untill officially eliminated, and even then, i will still wave it proudly. :tt02:

shame on me for not being a fair weather fan. i love this team only slightly less in a loss, as i do in victory.

i only wish i can one day achieve the supreme fandom of those who are sour and brave enough to constantly critisize every sign of non-perfection. their unhappiness in embracing reality is commendable. :tt:

Big7BenHOF
10-04-2011, 12:13 AM
i find the cup half full as well.

at this point we are one game behind in securing home field advantage throughout the playoffs.

i for one, will never toss in the towel untill officially eliminated, and even then, i will still wave it proudly. :tt02:

shame on me for not being a fair weather fan. i love this team only slightly less in a loss, as i do in victory.

i only wish i can one day achieve the supreme fandom of those who are sour and brave enough to constantly critisize every sign of non-perfection. their unhappiness in embracing reality is commendable. :tt:

Couldn't have said it better myself. You can't throw in the towel after only four games have been played. We're in playoff contention until we're absolutely eliminated, and even then you don't throw in the towel, as Tony said. You live and die with this team. :tt02:

Fire Arians
10-04-2011, 12:43 AM
good thread, while I don't think playoffs are out of the question, this team has too big of a flaw (o-line) to be a championship squad. of course we even won and made another super bowl appearance with bad o-line, but this year's one is beyond bad.

I hope I'm wrong though.

Regardless every sunday I tune into the game and support my team. Just because I don't think we're going to win it all doesn't mean I'm any less of a fan

ricardisimo
10-04-2011, 12:46 AM
I said elsewhere and I stick with it: we could suck horribly and still go 12-4 with our schedule this year. Will it be enough time to fix what ails us? Not if Arians is on the staff and Tomlin unleashes hell again.

queeg
10-04-2011, 01:03 AM
Steelers need to get line backup...now

steelax04
10-04-2011, 08:41 AM
Steelers need to get line backup...now

Any ideas on how that could happen with the cap troubles they are currently in?

cloppbeast
10-04-2011, 09:03 AM
We have a weak schedule, which will certainly help.

On defense, I don't think we'll get back to the level we've had the past few seasons. We'll just have to accept that teams will probably earn some yards running the ball, but I think our pass defense may be a little bit better. I agree with Harrison - there isn't a schematic problem. Guys are just getting beat. I personally don't see that changing.

With that said, even playing less than stellar defense - or more accurately, worse than what we're used to - we still are only giving up 17-20 points a game. For even an average offense, that should be enough to get some Ws. Our defense really isn't bad, IMO; I think we've gotten spoiled by some ridiculous defenses for the past 10 years or so. We're still top 10, just not top 5.

On offense, I think we have room for improvement. I believe we have some quick fixes.
1) Redman over Mendenhall
2) Brown over Ward (at least between the 20s. Ward in the redzone)
3) Advise Ben to take what the defense gives.

One more tough loss may be enough for Tomlin to take some drastic action. But, if we keep doing the same old same old, I don't think we'll make the play-offs even with our weak schedule. We need to make some offensive changes.

ZoneBlitzer
10-04-2011, 10:24 AM
Considering that it's relatively early in the year, it is definitely half-full. It's best to get these problems out of the way now and yes, they are extremely fortunate all things considered to be 2 and 2.

If they continue to give the ball to Redman like they did in that second half against the Texans, I think they have a shot at a course adjustment.

steelfury02
10-04-2011, 11:09 AM
Ok - I'm gonna try and live in this glass half full world for the next couple weeks. If we go to 4-2 I'll be back to where I was after the @ Colts victory and that was cautiously optimistic.

We HAVE to get a string of victories going with 5 of next 6 against AFC teams.

If they decide to have a protect Ben at all costs mentality - even if that means via penalties then so be it - I will ride the wagon up the bolt of lightning or down in a blaze of glory

Racking up the Ws, one game at a time pre-bye week is more important at this juncture than worrying about supposed post-bye "cake schedule." There is a reason the Bengals QB already has a nickname of "The Red Rifle." Last time I checked, both Cincy and Cleveland are in the same boat we are in - and have actually looked better in some aspects.

We beat the Titans and Jags and then go into Arizona and pull out a win, I'm gonna say we are going to pull at a W against either New England or Baltimore - because if we go into the NE game at 5-2, that means we are probably starting to right the ship . . .

SteeleReign
10-04-2011, 12:39 PM
Ok - I'm gonna try and live in this glass half full world for the next couple weeks. If we go to 4-2 I'll be back to where I was after the @ Colts victory and that was cautiously optimistic.

We HAVE to get a string of victories going with 5 of next 6 against AFC teams.

If they decide to have a protect Ben at all costs mentality - even if that means via penalties then so be it - I will ride the wagon up the bolt of lightning or down in a blaze of glory

Racking up the Ws, one game at a time pre-bye week is more important at this juncture than worrying about supposed post-bye "cake schedule." There is a reason the Bengals QB already has a nickname of "The Red Rifle." Last time I checked, both Cincy and Cleveland are in the same boat we are in - and have actually looked better in some aspects.

We beat the Titans and Jags and then go into Arizona and pull out a win, I'm gonna say we are going to pull at a W against either New England or Baltimore - because if we go into the NE game at 5-2, that means we are probably starting to right the ship . . .

Fair assessment. I'll jump on board with this line of reasoning. :thumbsup:

BKAnthem
10-04-2011, 12:56 PM
having been a Steeler fan since 1978, i've seen the good(Bradshaw) the bad(Woodley) and the ugly(Stoudt) but i also call it like i see it, and if they stink in a certain area or as a whole i'm gonna call it out, just like i will praise them when they do well. i will never not be a Steeler fan but i'm not going full homer mode and act like it's all good either. On any other forum or NFL team board i won't let anyone else badmouth them, but in here i'm not going to hold back anything.

So for now...since i've been spoiled by success of this organization i guess.....i'm going with half empty until i see them put it all together on the field.

DoctorCAD
10-04-2011, 07:13 PM
Still sticking with my 9 - 7 record prediction.

That may change by one or two either way, but I don't see any quick fix in our future.

However, I will bleed black and gold until I die...

btaylor179
10-04-2011, 07:20 PM
be scared be very scared

cubanstogie
10-04-2011, 07:35 PM
Its not being 2-2 that bothers me. Its the way the team looks. The Steelers have always come through even with a bad line , injuries and years ago losing an all pro LB every year it seemed. But this year I am highly skeptical, mainly due to Defense. D has saved our arse in years passed. D line is getting shoved around big time and except for Troy running around making big plays( he has missed a few as well but is human)no one is playing well. Woodley and Timmons have both been huge disappointments and foote and Farrior are aging rapidly. Ike, Troy and Harrison are the only ones playing Steelers football so far. I still think we finish 10-6 or 9-7 at worst due to schedule. Its possible this line builds some continuity and can play better and actually peak at the end of year which could propel us into playoffs. It is a long season and its not like any team out there doesn't have issues, except for maybe GB.

Steeldude
10-05-2011, 01:22 AM
good thread, while I don't think playoffs are out of the question, this team has too big of a flaw (o-line) to be a championship squad. of course we even won and made another super bowl appearance with bad o-line, but this year's one is beyond bad.

couple that with a poor defense makes it an uphill battle.

i believe the true fans will root for the steelers in every game even if they lose the next 12. the steelers could go 0-16 for the next 5+ seasons and i will still be a fan. but people shouldn't expect me to keep my opinions to myself :chuckle:

BossAus
10-05-2011, 07:54 AM
Don't worry guys, Max Starks is here to save the day! I'll go with a 11-5 record with the losses being to NE, Ratbirds, and once to either the Browns or Bengals. This is the same defense as last year, I'm not sure how they've taken such a big step back, but once we get further into the season I think it'll only get better. Keisel coming back and Hood starting for an injured Smith should help. And Woodley and Timmons will eventually come back to form, hopefully sooner than later.

Steel4ever95
10-05-2011, 08:36 AM
Hopefully Hood will provide a spark along the defensive line, he showed potential late last year and now its time for him to really show what he's got. If the Steelers d can start creating some turnovers that would go a looooonnnnggg way in getting the season turned back around, and hopefully give the offense some short fields to work with. To me the defense will find there way out of this funk there in and start knocking people around like were all used to.

I'm still not to sure if the offensive line will improve at all this year, but I'm gunna hold out hope for a bit longer, hopefully Starks can help get this line back on track. The Steelers MUST get there running game going, they showed some good stuff against the Texans last week when they were pulling there guards and I think they had three guys set up in the backfield as well, they were very close to breaking off some long runs. I would like to see what Mendenhall can do if they run the ball like they did in the 2nd half of the Texans game, when he is in the offense just seem kinda ordinary to me, when they run the ball.

The glass is still half full for me, and it always will be year in and year out. HERE WE GO STEELERS! HERE WE GO!

steelfury02
10-05-2011, 09:19 AM
Yup - day 2 of my glass half full - gonna need at least an 11-5 record to get in.

Me thinks it is going to be a log jam down to the wire for the last two playoff spots. Every game is critical - but the next 5 of 6 against AFC - will be very telling of where we might end up if we can take care of business down the home stretch/post bye.

pete74
10-05-2011, 09:54 AM
You say we lost to 2 playoff caliber teams but the teams we beat have a combined record of 1-8. That dosnt look good. We look like shit and if we don't change fast we will be lucky to win 8 games this season. As for our record, were in a 3 way tie with cinncy and clevland. Baltimore is a game and a half up on us since they beat us

ricardisimo
10-05-2011, 12:01 PM
Hopefully Hood will provide a spark along the defensive line, he showed potential late last year and now its time for him to really show what he's got. If the Steelers d can start creating some turnovers that would go a looooonnnnggg way in getting the season turned back around, and hopefully give the offense some short fields to work with. To me the defense will find there way out of this funk there in and start knocking people around like were all used to.

The glass is still half full for me, and it always will be year in and year out. HERE WE GO STEELERS! HERE WE GO!
Hood has already been playing. No sparks to speak of yet. Maybe Heyward will bring it. :noidea:

steelfury02
10-05-2011, 12:24 PM
it will be interesting to see what combinations, if any will work with Harrison out for a little while. As far as a spark goes - as long as we can do damage control in the run game - I'll be happy. I don't see this group being able to stop the run, create pass rush, and create turnovers.

Remember we were able to rely on the old - "So long as we have Troy . . ." well, about that . . .ugh

ETL
10-09-2011, 06:50 PM
Bump!

As stated, the sky is not falling. OL played better and DL played awesome today. Still much room for improvement but we are very much in this thing baby!

ETL
10-30-2011, 06:38 PM
Bump.

Oh how far we have come from 2-2. Nothing like a 4 game winning streak to make us feel good.

I guess everyone is feeling the cup overflowing now...

theplatypus
10-30-2011, 06:46 PM
Bump.

Oh how far we have come from 2-2. Nothing like a 4 game winning streak to make us feel good.

I guess everyone is feeling the cup overflowing now...

Not a chance. THere are few that are only happy when we lose and they can say "see I told you we suck".

steelfury02
10-30-2011, 06:55 PM
oh no an old post has been brought up! oh no you really got me - yea, at the time things were looking pretty mediocre - they've proven a lot since then - your point?

theplatypus
10-30-2011, 06:58 PM
oh no an old post has been brought up! oh no you really got me - yea, at the time things were looking pretty mediocre - they've proven a lot since then - your point?

I think the point ETL was trying to make by bumping his thread is that despite what people like you have been saying, the sky wasn't and isn't falling.

Bayz101
10-30-2011, 07:00 PM

Lol. The sky is falling guys! :rofl:

Ratbirds next week, woohoo!

steelfury02
10-30-2011, 07:07 PM
"people like me" - lol you're hilarious. I love how you completely ignore my first post in this thread where I said I'd live in the glass half full world if we put together a string of victories. Just tell me you'd like me to put on blinders because that is what you are saying a Steelers fan should do.

theplatypus
10-30-2011, 07:20 PM
"people like me" - lol you're hilarious. I love how you completely ignore my first post in this thread where I said I'd live in the glass half full world if we put together a string of victories. Just tell me you'd like me to put on blinders because that is what you are saying a Steelers fan should do.

My apologies. I just went back and read some of your posts. It appears that I've mistaken you for someone else and lumped you in with several others.

sharkweek
10-30-2011, 07:21 PM
give him a break, its not like he said the cup was half empty, its right there in the title he says cup half FULL :wink02: :hug: :tt02:

steelfury02
10-30-2011, 07:24 PM
platypus - a truce? One thing we got in common - we love our Stillers! I drink to you platypus:drink:

theplatypus
10-30-2011, 07:26 PM
platypus - a truce? One thing we got in common - we love our Stillers! I drink to you platypus:drink:

:drink::tt03:

ETL
10-30-2011, 09:23 PM

My point? I'm glad that my faith in the Steelers have come to fruition. Are you upset by that?

There is something called a "bandwagon" and now that we have won some games- you can jump on it. Before we won those games - you said yourself that you were not ready to be on it. You needed proof. So my other point is to tell you that it is safe to be a Steeler fan right now.