PDA

View Full Version : Heath Miller- A waste of $7,000,000/year?

tony hipchest
10-04-2011, 12:39 AM
IMPORTANT NOTE- This post is in no way a slam on our great tight end.

ive heard all the gripes about the money wasted on aaron smith, hines ward, bryant mcfadden, and foote/farrior.

they are all legitimate gripes.

but perhaps the biggest waste (and the highest salary figure) is the 7 mil spent on out TE which is about as useless as tits on a bull in arians offense.

while other teams are utilizing atheletic tight ends and even making them focal points of their offense (think saints, patriots, green bay) bruce arians is too busy dicking around with the smurf wr branch/givens/patten offense the patriots abandoned over 6 years ago, as if it is something new and revolutionary. :muhaha: (that'll trick em).

miller is no more than the 4th option on this team and is on pace for 48 rec/6oo/yds and 0 tds.

we coulda easilly had the same production with matt spaeth for less than a third of the price.

people will cite how important he is to our running game, but we dont even have a running game. we pass about 70% of the time it seems and really only run the ball if ben is suspended or if we have a 10 point lead. are the plays he is lined up as blocker (or even worse a FB) really worth 7 mil/year?

if arians isnt gone next year then miller needs to go. i would love nothing more than to see him in an offense that actually knows how to use his talents. he would be a pro bowler with ATL, SD or AZ and all 3 could be looking for a TE next year.

Big7BenHOF
10-04-2011, 12:46 AM
I actually completely agree with you, and I was thinking about this earlier today. He's a great tight end and has the potential to be one of the best tight ends in the league if used properly, but he won't show that potential in this offense. It's a waste of our money in this sense, and a waste of his talent. He'd succeed much more elsewhere.

Steeldude
10-04-2011, 01:39 AM
i agree. i remember bringing this up when we drafted him. i was asking why draft a TE in the 1st round when you don't plan on using him for anything but blocking. why not add an extra tackle instead?

ricardisimo
10-04-2011, 01:42 AM
How much does Arians make per year?

Fire Arians
10-04-2011, 01:45 AM
How much does Arians make per year?

lol exactly what i was thinking. miller's salary isn't a waste of money, the OC's salary is the waste

tony hipchest
10-04-2011, 02:21 AM
one of heath millers finest years was his rookie season with ken wiz (former NFL TE and current NFL head coach) as his OC.

anyone remember what heath miller did to the leagues best team (colts) on the road, in the playoffs, back when we actually gameplanned to take advantage of, and capitalize on an opponents weaknesses, as opposed to just "running our [predictable] game" and trying to" impose our will"?

pete74
10-04-2011, 04:49 AM
i agree, were wasting 7mil a year on him if were not going to use him. its pathetic

plenewken
10-04-2011, 06:48 AM
I completely agree with you. It kills me that the top offenses in the league use their TEs as receivers, not blockers and Tomlin/Arians still don't get it.
$7M/year for a blocking TE is absolutely ludicrous.
Add to it the fact that Tomlin/Arians don't believe a FB is necessary and you have 2 of the 3 main reasons why our offense sucks,

SteelCityMom
10-04-2011, 07:50 AM
one of heath millers finest years was his rookie season with ken wiz (former NFL TE and current NFL head coach) as his OC.

anyone remember what heath miller did to the leagues best team (colts) on the road, in the playoffs, back when we actually gameplanned to take advantage of, and capitalize on an opponents weaknesses, as opposed to just "running our [predictable] game" and trying to" impose our will"?

Yes, I remember him lighting up the Colts asses in the playoffs, back when keeping a simple gameplan (for the most part) actually worked! Imagine that lol. I like Tomlin just fine (most of the time lol), and I know Wiz hasn't done very well (since Warner retired), but remembering games like those sometimes make me wish they had hired him as coach. I think it might have kept that balance on the team. Oh well. Que sera sera.

And yes, it is extremely unfortunate that he is underused so much. It boggles me that the FO and coaches seem oblivious to this.

ricardisimo
10-04-2011, 02:53 PM
Let's just be clear: Heath is not the waste. He is worth every penny. He works his ass off in all aspects of his game, and although he's had some bizarre drops the past few years, he is money 99% of the time when Ben goes to him. How often is a Heath Miller catch not a first down? Maybe on a few 3rd and 20s, but even then he seems to get it done.

Now, that they are not using him to his potential is a legitimate gripe. It's like the guy who bought the mint green '57 Chevy Bel Air, and just parks it in the garage all year, covered up with bedsheets. Why?

Rick5895
10-04-2011, 03:39 PM
Let's just be clear: Heath is not the waste. He is worth every penny. He works his ass off in all aspects of his game, and although he's had some bizarre drops the past few years, he is money 99% of the time when Ben goes to him. How often is a Heath Miller catch not a first down? Maybe on a few 3rd and 20s, but even then he seems to get it done.

Now, that they are not using him to his potential is a legitimate gripe. It's like the guy who bought the mint green '57 Chevy Bel Air, and just parks it in the garage all year, covered up with bedsheets. Why?
Exactly!!!!!!:drink::tt04:

tanda10506
10-04-2011, 04:03 PM

This^^^ One of the best TE's in football and a true Steeler, Arians is worthless.

Steelerfreak58
10-04-2011, 05:01 PM
Arians is a waste. Heath is one of the best TE's in the game that Arians just never utilizes to his full potential.

stb_steeler
10-04-2011, 05:17 PM
I have to agree that its Airhead that doesnt use Heath to his full potential. Week after week we watch the games and wonder why he isnt. Its pretty much a one sided vote that when it comes to Almighty Bruce, apparently what he says goes!.....GOD i hate that guy....:banging:

JustinM
10-04-2011, 05:23 PM
Heath is the definition of clutch/consistency.

mikegrimey
10-04-2011, 05:28 PM
While I do think Heath is underused some people are totally fantasizing about his production pre-Tomlinn/Arians

In the colts/steelers playoff game in 06 he had 3 catches for 61 yards and
a TD, I think all 3 were on the opening drive, this is good, but hardly pure domination.

His most productive years were 07 and 09, both Tomlin/Arians years.

I really don't like defending the use of Miller in Tomlin/Arians offense but some of the extreme remembrances of seasons past that goes on here is kind of making me now

Sixburgher
10-04-2011, 05:36 PM
I really don't like defending the use of Miller in Tomlin/Arians offense but some of the extreme remembrances of seasons past that goes on here is kind of making me now

Like the unstoppable, 40+ points per game juggernaut that the Steelers offense was under Whisenhunt? :rolleyes:

Goldsteel86
10-04-2011, 06:08 PM
Heath would be more productive IMO, if the Steelers weren't running the Arians "Run and Shoot" style offense, wait a minute lets call it by a more appropriate name, the Steelers "Lack of Run, Always (attempt) to Shoot".

DanRooney
10-04-2011, 06:21 PM
I actually wouldn't mind throwing more if we had an offensive line. Look around the league. What does Green Bay, New England, San Diego, Buffalo and Detroit have in common? All on top of their divisions and all throw a lot more than they run. We have the weapons at receiver and TE, if we just had a LT, LG, RG and RT, we'd be set lol

steelerjim58
10-04-2011, 07:09 PM
I for one fully expected Miller to leave at the first opportunity. Unless he truly likes blocking this much, I am thinking he either believed that things were going to change offensively or was led to believe that by the coaches. In any case it is a shame to see him being wasted like this. It bugs me when some people want to compare him less favorably to other tight ends because of numbers. I am quite certain that it is a very rare instance when Gates, Witten, Finley, Gonzalez, et. al. are held in to block on passing downs.

ricardisimo
10-04-2011, 07:50 PM
I for one fully expected Miller to leave at the first opportunity. Unless he truly likes blocking this much, I am thinking he either believed that things were going to change offensively or was led to believe that by the coaches. In any case it is a shame to see him being wasted like this. It bugs me when some people want to compare him less favorably to other tight ends because of numbers. I am quite certain that it is a very rare instance when Gates, Witten, Finley, Gonzalez, et. al. are held in to block on passing downs.
They all block on passing downs. That's what tight ends do. Unlike the other linemen they then release and go downfield as a pass option. Heath just happens to block more than those other guys (because he can) and he blocks on running plays as well.

finesward
10-04-2011, 10:53 PM
Worth 7 mil? Yes. Utilized? No. If the pats have shown us anything its if u invest in a oline that can give the qb enough time for the te to get free you can find em cheap in the draft. Looking back its safe to say we have had to use his blocking skills more than his catching b/c of the o line. He may have the best hands on the team but when ur getting only a few targets what's the point? Let him walk next year and spend his salary on a solid guard or tackle. Him and smith are great quiet guys that go about their business and I admire that. But as a business move it has to be done to improve the team. Let the young studs we have at wr earn their keep. This team should be drastically different next year.

steelerjim58
10-05-2011, 12:57 AM
They all block on passing downs. That's what tight ends do. Unlike the other linemen they then release and go downfield as a pass option.

No disrespect intended, but I am not sure what you are seeing. The guys I mentioned, I am sure are seen as first or second options on virtually every passing down. They are getting off the line with the snap the vast majority of the time.

steeltheone
10-05-2011, 01:14 AM
While I do think Heath is underused some people are totally fantasizing about his production pre-Tomlinn/Arians

In the colts/steelers playoff game in 06 he had 3 catches for 61 yards and
a TD, I think all 3 were on the opening drive, this is good, but hardly pure domination.

His most productive years were 07 and 09, both Tomlin/Arians years.

Lets remember BR7 was a rookie in 05 and bounced head first off the pavement in 06...

steelerjim58
10-05-2011, 01:16 AM
on most pass plays.

PhantomJB93
10-05-2011, 02:34 AM
You know when you look at it that way Heath is a big waste of money. As much as I love him, the way he is utilized in this offense, the money could be much better spent elsewhere.

plenewken
10-05-2011, 06:43 AM
They all block on passing downs. That's what tight ends do. Unlike the other linemen they then release and go downfield as a pass option. Heath just happens to block more than those other guys (because he can) and he blocks on running plays as well.

If TEs block on passing downs, how come Gronkowski had 42 receptions and 10 TDs in his rookie season with the Pats?

Steel4ever95
10-05-2011, 09:47 AM
Some of you mentioned that Arians is the waste of money and not Heath, I tend to agree with you. Heath if used right can be a top tight end if they use him when the pass the ball, I was excited as hell when the Steelers drafted him. I'm not saying they have to pass it to him every down, but if they go to him a little more often the opposing d will have to account for him, and eventually your gunna hit gold on a play when the d decides to blitz and Heath is wide open for a big play. Arians and to an extent Tomlin are the ones to blame, Tomlin really has to start stepping in and making some calls and the Steelers front office has to give Arians his walking papers very soon.

plenewken
10-05-2011, 11:02 AM
. No disrespect intended, but I am not sure what you are seeing. The guys I mentioned, I am sure are seen as first or second options on virtually every passing down. They are getting off the line with the snap the vast majority of the time.

You should tell him to look at the 2011 stats for receivers on nfl.com and to count the number of TEs in the top.20.

ricardisimo
10-05-2011, 12:55 PM
If TEs block on passing downs, how come Gronkowski had 42 receptions and 10 TDs in his rookie season with the Pats?
He blocks and releases. That's what TEs do. He could be lining up wide, of course, but then he's not a tight end.

plenewken
10-05-2011, 03:13 PM
He blocks and releases. That's what TEs do. He could be lining up wide, of course, but then he's not a tight end.

Show me how a TE can block a DE or a LB, and then go catch a pass 15 or 20yds deep. They block or they run but they don't do both in the same play, no way.

tony hipchest
10-05-2011, 03:31 PM
if you look at the teams that are 4-0/3-1 and with a top 7 offense and top 7 in scoring there is one thing in common that stands out.

their TE's are the #2 recieving options and in the top 20 of receivers in receptions.

bruce arians is running an antiquated patriot offense that was scrapped and abandoned 7 years ago. the run and shoot is dead, as is the "greatest show on turf".

in a weak attempt to be clever, trick and outscheme the league, he has outsmarted himself once again, and turned heath mill into an average, dime a dozen player. one of them is pretty much useless and one of them needs to go before next season. i sure hope it isnt miller.

know how you preserve ben? line up in shotgun, 11 personnel, and split heath out. use a rb as a sidecar for either protection, draws, or an outlet. quit keeping people in for protection and let him read the blitz and get rid of the ball quickly.

or we can keep running those slow developing handoffs and play action where ben actually HAS HIS BACK to the on coming rush, for more than a second. :dang:

ricardisimo
10-05-2011, 03:45 PM
Show me how a TE can block a DE or a LB, and then go catch a pass 15 or 20yds deep. They block or they run but they don't do both in the same play, no way.
But they do it all the time. They don't have to stay put like the other linemen, just force the LBs to take the long route, bump them into an arc rather than a straight line to the QB, then go. I mean, it doesn't happen every single play, especially not in today's NFL where you see tight ends as H-backs and U-backs and lined up wide, etc., etc. but I submit to you that they're not really TEs in those cases, and their agents should be arguing the same thing, getting them WR money instead of the lower-scale TE pay. :tap: