PDA

View Full Version : Harrison at it again. Calls out a certain someone on defense.

DanRooney
10-04-2011, 01:46 AM
James Harrison: If one person doesn't get the job done, it looks bad for the whole squad
Steelers linebacker goes off on team again - this time on defense's effort in Houston
Tuesday, October 04, 2011
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Dave Einsel
The Texans' Arian Foster (23) breaks away from Steelers outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley Sunday.
A perturbed James Harrison suggests that if the Steelers defense cannot play better than it has, they must make some changes. He did not say who should be involved in those changes, but made it clear the defensive scheme is not to blame.

"Every man needs to do his job, take care of his responsibilities," Harrison fumed after the Houston Texans gouged his defense Sunday. "It's not the scheme, it's not other BS; it's each man doing his job, and, right now, every man is not doing his job, period."

How's that?

"People are getting beat. You have to come out there and work the man who's in front of you, and we're not doing that right now."

Harrison pointed no fingers, at least not specifically, in the direction of any individuals.

"They came out there and did what they had to do," Harrison said of the Texans, who beat the Steelers, 17-10, to drop them into a three-way tie for second with Cleveland and Cincinnati in the AFC North at 2-2.

"They executed, they got us up out of there, they opened up holes, they opened up gaps. We didn't do our job, and they did theirs. Give them all the credit.

"Each man needs to nut up, look at himself and get in there and take care of his responsibilities. Each play is 11 individuals; if one person doesn't get the job done, it looks bad for the whole squad."

And then the four-time All-Pro linebacker came to his conclusion that something needs to change because he never has seen anything like it in games that count.

"Worried? No," he said. "Concerned? Yeah. We have to get things shored up. Whether that's changing this and changing that, I don't know, but we have to get something done because it's not working so far.

"I haven't seen it like this, maybe a preseason game here and there, but not like this the way it's going right now."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11277/1179589-66-0.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz1ZmzO8vix

NoFieldFive
10-04-2011, 02:00 AM
too bad it is not Tomlin talking like that.

Fire Arians
10-04-2011, 02:06 AM
about time someone on the team told it like it is. james is entitled to say what he wants because he's one of the few people on the team who actually put in some hustle on the weekends

Sixburgher
10-04-2011, 02:06 AM
too bad it is not Tomlin talking like that.

Who's to say he isn't behind closed doors?

tony hipchest
10-04-2011, 02:09 AM
just guessing here but....

after james comments last week vs colts i though he might be talking about polamalu because he was out of position the most and doing more than the defense asks him to do.

even fans were bitching that polamalu was linned up 30 yds off the ball, essentially taking him out of the play (a gripe i dont agree with).

this week polamalu also was freelancing a great deal and seemingly trying to overcompensate everytime he lion leaped on a gazelle err... ball carrier.

troy has been amazing and made some great plays this season. he has also been caught out of position and rushing so fast to get into position he is easilly juked out of a tackle.

the rest of the defense could completely suck, but they are all (with exception of troy freelancing) playing within the system. important to note that polamalu is the only player given the green light to do what he does.

:hunch:

Rick5895
10-04-2011, 05:12 AM
just guessing here but....

after james comments last week vs colts i though he might be talking about polamalu because he was out of position the most and doing more than the defense asks him to do.

even fans were bitching that polamalu was linned up 30 yds off the ball, essentially taking him out of the play (a gripe i dont agree with).

this week polamalu also was freelancing a great deal and seemingly trying to overcompensate everytime he lion leaped on a gazelle err... ball carrier.

troy has been amazing and made some great plays this season. he has also been caught out of position and rushing so fast to get into position he is easilly juked out of a tackle.

the rest of the defense could completely suck, but they are all (with exception of troy freelancing) playing within the system. important to note that polamalu is the only player given the green light to do what he does.

:hunch:

Maybe, but I think Troy is allowed to play that way and the system lets him. He has always played this way and we've been pretty good. From what I have seen, My guess is he's talking about Woodley and Farrior and possibly Smith.
Who ever he is talking about, it's about time someone stepped up with some fire on this D. Glad to see it.

BIGNASTY91
10-04-2011, 06:27 AM
I have watched the interview after the game in which this came out of. He is not calling out any particular person. He is calling out the entire defense, including himself, saying that they need to step it up and get on the same page together!!!:tt03:
One can only hope after their embarrasement this weekend someone steps up on defense and becomes a leader, and lights a fire under this teams ass!!! :tt03: :tt03:

SteelCityMom
10-04-2011, 07:57 AM
Well, I'm glad he's speaking out about this. And someone (actually all of them) need to get pissed off real quick.

But who is the certain someone he called out? He didn't name any names, just gave an overall generalization, and you never gave your opinion on who you think he's calling out specifically lol.

cloppbeast
10-04-2011, 08:27 AM
James is a leader and a true competitor; on top of being a complete beast. I'm gald he's on my team.

I think he was just calling out the entire defense, or Woodley.

smheart78
10-04-2011, 09:18 AM
He was calling out the other players who were talking to the media and suggesting, or at least not discounting, that the problem was the defensive scheme that was being used. These were, at least, Farrior and Hampton.

Rockonsteel
10-04-2011, 09:30 AM
I agree completely with NoField. I reeally hope Coach T takes note of what James is saying, because his "cool" cliches are starting to sound like Charlie Brown's teacher.

Rockon

jtbsteeler
10-04-2011, 10:00 AM
I agree completely with NoField. I reeally hope Coach T takes note of what James is saying, because his "cool" cliches are starting to sound like Charlie Brown's teacher.

Rockon

I agree 100%. That BS he tried to pull in '09 won't help him. He blew his load on that ka ka. "Changes will be made" "We'll unleash hell on December". No changes were made. He was stupid for starting Aaron Smith after Hood helped this defense to a record breaking season of run defense. I'm pissed at him about that.

He's trying to be politically correct and not try to offend some of these slow ass veterans. It's winning time, not placate to old geezers. Speaking of Geezer,Lebeau is the head Geezer.

And Lamarr Woodley is stealing money. there was a backlash on his Facebook and Twitter feeds...

James Farrior is useless right now. All he does is call out the defense then gets embarrassed for his slow feet and non physicallity..

Fire Haley
10-04-2011, 10:05 AM
Shut up and play

nobody likes a finger pointing bitch in the locker room telling reporters you suck

MACH1
10-04-2011, 11:29 AM
Now they just need someone on the O to step up and tell it like it is.

fivedawg
10-04-2011, 11:56 AM
I love james, but he has to show by example, when was the last game he dominated, how about getting a sack, when was the last time he was even defensive plater of the week...thats how you call out your defense....GET A STOP!!! doesnt help the o-line is horrible either

wera176
10-04-2011, 12:05 PM
I love james, but he has to show by example, when was the last game he dominated, how about getting a sack, when was the last time he was even defensive plater of the week...thats how you call out your defense....GET A STOP!!! doesnt help the o-line is horrible either

I didn't get to see Sunday's game, but James looked solid against the Colts, almost dominate imo. They didn't run at him much (as I recall) it was mostly at Smith and Woodley, and when they did he was the guy making the stop more times than not it seemed. Not to mention he caused the only turnover this year... Hard to be dominate when the offense doesn't even NEED to test your side once in awhile...

Could he do better, ? He'd probably be the first to tell you he could, but I think he's played well over all...

Atlanta Dan
10-04-2011, 12:38 PM
He was calling out the other players who were talking to the media and suggesting, or at least not discounting, that the problem was the defensive scheme that was being used.These were, at least, Farrior and Hampton.

I do not recall Farrior was questioning the scheme but players not handling their role in the scheme

Farrior: “Sometimes you get a guy trying to do too much or a guy not quite fitting right. It’s been hurting us a little bit.”

http://twitter.com/#!/ScottBrown_Trib/status/119101347047022592

More from Farrior: “Guys have to be responsible and trust each other and play the technique that goes with the defense."

http://twitter.com/#!/ScottBrown_Trib/status/119100805390417920

finesward
10-04-2011, 01:31 PM
James is a leader and a true competitor; on top of being a complete beast. I'm gald he's on my team.

I think he was just calling out the entire defense, or Woodley.

This. Woodley was swinging so wide on that long Td run by foster. Piss poor effort so far by him this year.

tanda10506
10-04-2011, 02:23 PM
Hope it lights a fire for the defense! To many players on the D are under performing, especially Smith and Woodley. I believe that's who he is talking about. Maybe Farrior too, he has been behind everybody he covers, but he was saying similar things as Harrison so I kind of doubt it's him. Harrison is right though, this D can't just play better without changes. Smith needs to sit and Farrior does too, most of all when Farrior sits DO NO BRING IN FOOTE. Foote sucks and he has no future with us. We still have the talent to be a great defense, young guys like Woodley HAVE to step up and a few players need benched.

fer522
10-04-2011, 03:54 PM
Who's to say he isn't behind closed doors?

he's a p u s s y we all know that
he won't say shit like that b/c
he doesn't wanna hurt anybodys feelings

solardave
10-04-2011, 04:44 PM
about time someone on the team told it like it is. james is entitled to say what he wants because he's one of the few people on the team who actually put in some hustle on the weekends

Coming from him or Troy would be fine with me.

Stallion
10-04-2011, 04:46 PM
Sat behind the Texan bench Sunday. Andre was out already, Texans had several three and outs to start the 3rd Q. Kubiak called entire offense over to one bench and was literally yelling at them. Next series things changed. Harrison was correct..Texans did their job. That combined with not being able to stop the run (175 total rushing yards) was the story of that game.

Fire Haley
10-04-2011, 04:49 PM
"Troy, Woodley and Timmons - - you have to save the season" - - signed; James Harrison's busted eye bone

stb_steeler
10-04-2011, 05:26 PM
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t181/Mike4333/20051225mf_fbn_fan_takedownPJ_450.jpg
If he has to kick some ass and take names......So be it!

Goldsteel86
10-04-2011, 06:15 PM
H**L yes, Silverback didn't injure his tongue. Now this could work both ways, it could motivate the Defense or it could cause animosity amongst the bunch in the locker room. I guess only time will tell, however, I personally think that it shouldn't have been Harrison, it should have been LeBeau or Tomlin or the Captain of the defense Farrior. It is what it is, kudos to James, now maybe Ben can take a page from Harrison's book and do the same to the offense. We all know Arians won't he'll devise a game plan for his failures, that plan will once again FAIL!!!!!!:banging::banging::banging:

austinfrench76
10-04-2011, 06:49 PM
I don't know how anyone wouldn't agree with James here. People are getting beat, plain and simple. Whjere has Woodley been!?!? If we are talking scheme, well, in the 3-4 defense his job is to get to the QB. I know Lebeau drops him into coverage but watch the game tape. He is getting his ASS handed to him. Timmons hasn't really shown up either but Woodley doesn't look the same. Don't know what it is?! Our DB's are actually holding the D up right now. And Farrior? Let's leave that for another thread. This week our starting ILB's will be Farrior and Foote. TE's and RB's are going to murder us.

Riddle_Of_Steel
10-04-2011, 07:28 PM
he's a p u s s y we all know that
he won't say shit like that b/c
he doesn't wanna hurt anybodys feelings

Wow. You talk like Tomlin walked in here and did nothing for the team the last four seasons. You talk like he didn't win us our 6th SB a few years ago and almost take us to another one last year.

We ALL know he is a p u s s y? I know of no such thing-- but I do know one thing.....fans of one of the most winniest and most celebrated sports franchises have no business talking this way after just two losses.....

Sorry to call you out-- but that is just plain, weak.

Got fair weather?

:doh::doh::doh::doh:

Steeldude
10-04-2011, 07:43 PM
i don't read where he is implying it an particular player.

only 3 people have showed up on defense this year. those people are harrison, polamalu and taylor.

as for woodley, i am not shocked at all. he always plays this way. i guess because he doesn't have some cheesy sacks that fans are finally noticing. it reminds me so much of the 97 kordell era. he had so many fans fooled. how? because for some absurd reason these fans thought running is more important than passing and football IQ for a QB :noidea:

ricardisimo
10-04-2011, 08:09 PM
He's talking about his own, for sure: the linebackers. Aaron Smith is not being caught out of position. He's being pushed out of position, which is different and will be next week's critique from James.

btaylor179
10-04-2011, 08:18 PM
i m glad he did it......our d is old and slow

Goldsteel86
10-04-2011, 10:15 PM
i m glad he did it......our d is old and slow

Yes we have the oldest Defense in the NFL on paper, but lets keep in mind, alot of the Defensive scheme is made up and executed by the schemes called. The players only need to execute, now I am not saying the execution has been spot on, but I believe it is fair to say the schemes haven't always been spot on either.

Steel4ever95
10-05-2011, 10:02 AM
Nice to see that he is calling out the d, hopefully he address the defense as a whole and gives them the same speech, if he hasent done it already. The defense may be old, and maybe slowing down a bit, that means they gotta play smart and pick up on what the offense is doing, and try to put themselves in a place to make a play.