PDA

View Full Version : Cowher criticizes draft pick Holmes after arrest

Ohio Steeler
06-08-2006, 10:41 PM
PITTSBURGH -- Steelers coach Bill Cowher on Thursday criticized No. 1 draft pick Santonio Holmes for his arrest last month in Miami, but said he will not hold the incident against the former Ohio State receiver.

Holmes, who missed four weeks of coaching sessions due to NCAA regulations, was arrested in South Beach for disorderly conduct during a Memorial Day weekend crackdown by local authorities.

"Whatever he did wrong, I don't think he handled it properly," Cowher said. "I think he'll learn from it and understand the scrutiny he's under. We have not talked face to face about it. I don't have any long-term concerns."

Holmes and fellow rookie Mike Kudla were prohibited from participating in the minicamp because of an NFL-NCAA agreement that a college player cannot take part in NFL spring workouts until his college has had its graduation.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2476138

SteelShooter
06-08-2006, 10:50 PM
Bill is always the fatherly mentor.

Actually, this is kind of big for Bill. He rarely says a word of any negativity. He must be thinking of how bad Cincy looks with the Prison crew over there and is worried we could get a bad reputation like that.

I'm thinking the "talk" he will eventually have with Santonio will be mostly one-way.

Steelersfan
06-08-2006, 10:52 PM
Bill is always the fatherly mentor.

Actually, this is kind of big for Bill. He rarely says a word of any negativity. He must be thinking of how bad Cincy looks with the Prison crew over there and is worried we could get a bad reputation like that.

I'm thinking the "talk" he will eventually have with Santonio will be mostly one-way.

I agree while I also don't think this is that big a deal at this time.

Ohio Steeler
06-08-2006, 10:56 PM
man how I would like to be a fly on the wall for this one, I am sure Cowher will have some stern words to say to Holmes about this

tony hipchest
06-08-2006, 10:58 PM
well cowhers comments were stronger than what marvin lewis has to say about his hoodlum draft picks but i dont see the critisizm this shoddy piece of journalism tries to portray.

MattsMe
06-08-2006, 11:02 PM
well cowhers comments were stronger than what marvin lewis has to say about his hoodlum draft picks but i dont see the critisizm this shoddy piece of journalism tries to portray.

Me either. :confused:

83-Steelers-43
06-08-2006, 11:03 PM

Very good point.

DC compared to flashing a gun, concealing a gun, DUI and theft.

Haiku_Dirtt
06-09-2006, 01:33 PM
Once this kitten steps into the huddle with Faneca and Hartings he'll choose one of two paths. We can only hope and pray it's the right one.

The guy he really screwed is his agent. He is not negotiating with Al Davis. Without a doubt the stunt in Florida cost him some bling.

RoethlisBURGHer
06-09-2006, 02:06 PM
Once this kitten steps into the huddle with Faneca and Hartings he'll choose one of two paths. We can only hope and pray it's the right one.

The guy he really screwed is his agent. He is not negotiating with Al Davis. Without a doubt the stunt in Florida cost him some bling.

I don't think it's as big of a deal as the media is making it out to be.

For the Urban Music Festival there are a ton of plain-clothes police out there.One tells him to "get moving" and with the guy being out of uniform and no badge being shown Holmes does what most anyone would do to some stranger telling them what to do,and that is say something like "F--k you".

I doubt it's gonna cost him anything,he's still gonna get 1st round money.

Santonio4
06-09-2006, 09:50 PM
Hopefully this is a one time thing. Holmes is a good kid. He is a very confident in his abilties and thats what you need to play at a high level in the NFL.

SteelCityMan786
06-09-2006, 10:44 PM

I am sure Bill will set him right. He is a no non-sense coach.

SteelerzGirl
06-10-2006, 07:19 AM
I hope Coach Cowher rips Santonio a new one. I don't want Holmes turning into the likes of those Bengals hoodlums.

Ohio Steeler
06-10-2006, 10:11 AM
I hope Coach Cowher rips Santonio a new one. I don't want Holmes turning into the likes of those Bengals hoodlums.

oh he will do just that, and I dont think we have to worry about Holmes turning into a thug like the Bungals players