PDA

View Full Version : Redman ready to handle the load

SteelCityMom
10-06-2011, 09:00 AM
Redman ready to handle the load
By Teresa Varley - Steelers.com
Posted 10 hours ago

With Rashard Mendenhallhttp://www.steelers.com/assets/nflimg/icon-article-link.gif (http://www.steelers.com/team/roster/rashard-mendenhall/3e1ac879-3146-46f4-946b-216532a371b1/) and Mewelde Moorehttp://www.steelers.com/assets/nflimg/icon-article-link.gif (http://www.steelers.com/team/roster/mewelde-moore/a971937b-8bca-4747-a9f4-88706292e800/) just spectators at practice on Wednesday a lot of the workload at running back fell into the welcoming hands of Isaac Redmanhttp://www.steelers.com/assets/nflimg/icon-article-link.gif (http://www.steelers.com/team/roster/isaac-redman/5250dc8c-d3c1-4001-9e55-b6c6d991bb84/).

“I just try to make the best out of every situation,” said Redman. “If they can’t go, I will probably be out there first, second and third down. It will be a lot to take on, but I welcome it.”

Redman has been spelling Mendenhall all season to keep him fresh, but getting the extra reps in practice with the first team is something he knows will be beneficial if he does have to start against the Titans on Sunday at Heinz Field.

“It’s a lot easier for me,” said Redman. “If Mendenhall goes out the first series and I am in there, you aren’t as prepared. You aren’t used to it. In practice I will get more reps, different looks and run the plays that will be called. I will be prepared for that.

“I am preparing like I am going to be the main guy carrying the ball in the game. I have to prepare to carry the load.”

Through four games Redman has 22 carries for 107 yards, a 4.9 yard average. He has two receptions out of the backfield for 18 yards.

“You can’t do too much dancing in the backfield,” said Redman. “That is how we lose yards. I would rather have a zero yard run than a loss. Our line is beat up, there is some inexperience. We have to establish the run. We need it. We need to shut people up. We have Max Starkshttp://www.steelers.com/assets/nflimg/icon-article-link.gif (http://www.steelers.com/team/roster/max-starks/7df7af66-c7ff-472b-bcd8-a6a73f94467a/) back. Hopefully he can add some spark to the offensive line and we can get some movement.”

More here: http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Redman-ready-to-handle-the-load/bd9a18ed-da30-4ba7-a4e3-31b4f22c67ba

casteeler
10-06-2011, 11:34 AM
Redman says " you can't dance around in the backfield" he should know first hand since he watches Mendy do this every game

steelfury02
10-06-2011, 11:35 AM
If Mendenhall would get out of his own head - we have already proven we can run all over people just like in the AFC champ game v. Jets

We really have a nice 3 headed monster of running backs if they are at the top of their game

Here's to getting it kick started :drink:

RichardCullinanForever
10-06-2011, 11:48 AM
Redman says " you can't dance around in the backfield" he should know first hand since he watches Mendy do this every game

I have an odd feeling that the 'dancing in the backfield' part was directed at someone on our team...

wera176
10-06-2011, 12:12 PM
I have an odd feeling that the 'dancing in the backfield' part was directed at someone on our team...

Who might that be, Hines? :wink02:

I'd love to see Redman kick some booty and light a fire under Mendy.

Lokki
10-06-2011, 12:21 PM
I don't wish injuries on anyone, but I'm excited to see Redman get a chance.

cloppbeast
10-06-2011, 12:54 PM
“You can’t do too much dancing in the backfield,” said Redman.

I'm pretty sure he took a shot at Mendy here. More power to him.

kirklandrules
10-06-2011, 12:59 PM
Mendy has great skills, but this year he looks like Madden 2012 when the Wii remote is on the fritz. Time to change the batteries!

cloppbeast
10-06-2011, 01:11 PM
Mendy has great skills, but this year he looks like Madden 2012 when the Wii remote is on the fritz. Time to change the batteries!

If you watch his highlights and Illinious, he did most of his damage past the line of scrimmage. He has great moves in the open field, but struggles running up the gut without impeccable blocking. Arians needs to find ways to get Mendy the ball in space, perhaps catching passes out of the backfield.

Redman has a running style and build to carry the load on first and second down, running up the gut. I just don't see it from Mendy. Very glad to see 'Redzone' Redman get an opportunity. I have loads of confidence in him; I'm even starting him on my fantasy team.

In the long run, perhaps this will encourage a backfield by committee.

kirklandrules
10-06-2011, 01:29 PM
If you watch his highlights and Illinious, he did most of his damage past the line of scrimmage. He has great moves in the open field, but struggles running up the gut without impeccable blocking.

He had a run in the playoffs against the Jets that offered the slightest of seams and he hit that thing for a TD. I remember thinking that this kid is finally making it.
Then this year happened. :crying02:

Of course there are plenty of times that smashing it up in the middle when the line hasn't opened any holes just isn't going to work for anyone. But maybe watching Redman hit the small holes that do exist will give Mendy the idea.

Steel4ever95
10-06-2011, 02:13 PM
Its nice to see Redman get a shot, we will finally get to see what he can do as the lead back, hopefully he comes out and runs angry and knocks people around. I'm still thinking Mendenhall will turn his season around though, sucks to see a talented guy having trouble running the ball like he has done this season.

truesteelerfan
10-06-2011, 02:16 PM
Glad to see a change of pace here...I hope he does a great job! But based on how many seemingly Mendy haters we have on here and lovers of Redman....Will it be his fault if he has a bad game, or the OL?

austinfrench76
10-06-2011, 04:42 PM
Very excoted to watch Red-Zone start!!!

ricardisimo
10-06-2011, 05:10 PM
Not only did he take a shot at Mendy, he passed the buck entirely onto the O-line. I'm sure they'll appreciate that. Or not. We'll see.

Very excoted to watch Red-Zone start!!!
Don't get excoted yet. Wait until game time.

stb_steeler
10-06-2011, 06:41 PM
I hope Redman has a 100 yard game and blows some peoples minds. I have a feeling this dude will do good!

FanSince72
10-06-2011, 06:48 PM
“You can’t do too much dancing in the backfield,” ...That is how we lose yards. I would rather have a zero yard run than a loss."

This should be engraved on a piece of granite and placed over the door to the locker room (or maybe on the wall above Mendenhall's locker).

Exordium
10-06-2011, 07:31 PM
“You can’t do too much dancing in the backfield,” ...That is how we lose yards. I would rather have a zero yard run than a loss."

This should be engraved on a piece of granite and placed over the door to the locker room (or maybe on the wall above Mendenhall's locker).

:iagree:

harrison'samonster
10-06-2011, 08:05 PM
i've been a pretty big Mendenhall fan over his career so far, but I do look forward to seeing Redman get a chance. Mendenhall hasn't been getting it done this year.

Steeldude
10-06-2011, 08:12 PM
i'm excited to see what he can do. it's going to be a very tough game.

on a different note, i don't know about that title the article was given :chuckle:

tony hipchest
10-06-2011, 08:30 PM

on a different note, i don't know about that title the article was given :chuckle:

he's tired of giving mendenhall a blow, here and there. he's ready to handle the load.
i dont see the problem. :hunch:

:laughing:

harrison'samonster
10-06-2011, 08:49 PM
they just mean that Redman's ready for his chance on top. He's been waiting to show his ball handling skills. He's ready to ride his blockers. There's nothing dirty about that.

tony hipchest
10-06-2011, 08:51 PM
:sofunny: bravo!

:applaudit:

SteelCityMom
10-06-2011, 08:59 PM

I was curious as to how long it would take for someone to point that out lol. I thought about changing it, but it's just too good.

I swore ric would have been first out of the gates though. :chuckle:

ricardisimo
10-06-2011, 09:34 PM
I was curious as to how long it would take for someone to point that out lol. I thought about changing it, but it's just too good.

I swore ric would have been first out of the gates though. :chuckle:
I have no idea what you people are talking about. :angel:

madtowndrunkard
10-07-2011, 08:51 AM

Definitely Ben.... he's doing the Tango with the defenders on every pass play.

kirklandrules
10-07-2011, 11:18 AM
he's tired of giving mendenhall a blow, here and there. he's ready to handle the load.
i dont see the problem. :hunch:

:laughing:

I realize several posts deviate from the original intent of the thread, but I'm thinking your post might just get this thread combined with the Gay Meter threads.