PDA

View Full Version : Starks happy to be back

SteelCityMom
10-06-2011, 08:03 AM
Return to Steelers buoys the spirit of Starks
By Scott Brown (sbrown@tribweb.com), PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, October 6, 2011

Sweat dribbled down his face as he not only talked with reporters, but answered questions with a smile.

It seemed like nothing had changed with Steelers offensive tackle Max Starks, and to think a day earlier he had been in Detroit auditioning for the Lions.

Starks signed with Steelers on Wednesday morning, rejoining the team that released him in late July. By the afternoon, the guy who had been unemployed 24 hours earlier was working with the Steelers' first-team offense.

"I definitely feel like I have an opportunity to at least dress Sunday if I continue on this path and keep getting after it like I have been," Starks said after his first practice in 11 months.

Starks said he practiced exclusively at left tackle and split first-team repetitions with Jonathan Scott, who returned to practice after missing last Sunday's game because of a sprained ankle.

It is unlikely that Starks is in good enough football shape to immediately push Scott at left tackle if that's what the Steelers wanted when they signed him to a one-year deal for the $810,000 veteran's minimum.

What coach Mike Tomlin did tell Starks during a meeting Tuesday night Starks met with the Steelers at their headquarters after flying from Detroit to Pittsburgh is that he wants the eighth-year veteran to provide leadership along the offensive line.

"With anything else, the offense has to be on the same page," said Starks, who had started 38 consecutive games at left tackle before sustaining a season-ending neck injury last November. "I always preach it. Run block, pass protect, sustained drives, keep(ing) the defense fresh those all stem from the offensive line, so it's a big thing to have chemistry within that group."

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has been pushing for the Steelers to bring back Starks, one of his closest friends on the team. And it's not just out of guilt, with Roethlisberger conceding that his late July wedding didn't do Starks or Trai Essex any favors.

The wedding gave Steelers coaches an opportunity to see Starks and Essex, each of whom had gained a significant amount of weight during the NFL lockout.

Read more: Return to Steelers buoys the spirit of Starks - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_760430.html#ixzz1a0SMD1vy) http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_760430.html#ixzz1a0SMD1vy

truesteelerfan
10-06-2011, 01:20 PM
I'm glad to have you back to Starks- hopefully you've been working hard and should be able to push Scott immediately out of the line up - just like the opposing DE did

tanda10506
10-06-2011, 02:12 PM
So happy to have him back, probably now our next best o lineman after Pouncey. As mentioned, he probably isn't going to be ready to play a full game, but hopefully he comes in on 3rd downs and in the 4th quarter. Nice to see the team at least try to address the o line problem. When he is ready to start, we better not sit Gilbert and put Scott at RT, that would be horrible, but I don't put it past Tomlin.

DanRooney
10-06-2011, 02:21 PM
Glad Tomlin is finally addressing some serious issues. It's sad it had to come to injuring Ben for him to make a move.

Fire Arians
10-06-2011, 02:25 PM
Glad Tomlin is finally addressing some serious issues. It's sad it had to come to injuring Ben for him to make a move.

he probably thought trai essex would have been adequate, he started at LT in the past and was serviceable. however it just took 1 start to realize he wasn't the answer. i think this change would have been made regardless of ben's foot sprain or not.

i hope when jon rollerskates is healthy again this doesn't mean gilbert is back on the bench though. he's our future rt / lt and i believe the RT position should be his this year unless he proves to be worse than scott, which is kinda hard to pull off.

Atlanta Dan
10-07-2011, 01:31 PM
Starks gets the start at LT after no game time and minimal practices since being injured in teh Bengals game last year

Veteran offensive lineman Max Starks, who has three practices under his belt :toofunny:after being signed off the street Tuesday, expects to be in the starting lineup Sunday against the Tennessee Titans

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11280/1180421-100.stm

The definitiive example of how rotten this OL has become

Fire Arians
10-07-2011, 01:50 PM
well considering who he has to beat, trai essux (who also didn't practice all offseason) and jonathan rollerscates, i don't find that surprising

tony hipchest
10-07-2011, 02:13 PM
SteelersDepot had a great line-

J. Scott is still recovering from the shoulder injury and Trai Essex is still recovering from being Trai Essex. :laughing:

Bayz101
10-09-2011, 09:08 AM
SteelersDepot had a great line-

J. Scott is still recovering from the shoulder injury and Trai Essex is still recovering from being Trai Essex. :laughing:

No, they're both recovering from being themselves :rofl: