PDA

View Full Version : Now this guy is a fan

Ohio Steeler
06-09-2006, 09:53 AM
This is really old but Ifound it to be kind of cool how he had all this work done to support his team...

Ron Vergerio has gone to great lengths to turn his home in Springdale Township into a Steelers museum and his body into a living, breathing shrine.

Vergerio, 48, has more than 1,000 football collectibles, and the detailed, colored tattoo that adorns his entire back is the pinnacle. A dozen players and Steelers founder Art Rooney Sr., are all over him. So is the Pittsburgh skyline.

The work took Chris Blick of American Tattoo in Verona more than 100 hours to complete over 11 months. It is so detailed and eye-catching that it won first place in the Meeting of the Marked contest in Green Tree in October.

Among the 13 figures etched are Jack Lambert, Franco Harris, Terry Bradshaw, Lynn Swann, Rod Woodson, Jerome Bettis and Kordell Stewart

"I'm a Kordell fan, win or lose," Vergerio said, adding, "I'm glad Tommy's playing well."

That's quarterback Tommy Maddox, who rallied the Steelers to victory against Cleveland a week ago and lifted them into today's AFC divisional playoff game against Tennessee at 4:30 p.m. at The Coliseum in Nashville.

"I think they can hang in there with (the Titans). But I think they're going to need a big play from some unknown," said Vergerio, a driver and license examiner for Laidlaw Transit Services Inc.

This is what Vergerio, who also has tattoos on his arms and legs, lives for. And lives in.

The gravel path leading to the front door of his Williams Street home directs visitors into the kitchen, where the cabinets are painted black and gold and photos of every Steeler line the walls near the ceiling.

Through a doorway between the refrigerator and stove sits the living room, where more photos, these of past Steelers greats, decorate the walls above the black leather sofas and chair. Vergerio estimates he owns as many as 800 Steelers photos.

Drapes with the Steelers logo ? sewed by his wife of 26 years, Violet ? hang from all the windows. It is in this living room that Vergerio, Violet and their four children ? Angela, 24; Mel, 21; Teresa, 16; and Sheree, 12 ? gather to watch the Steelers game on a new, 53-inch television. It was an early Christmas gift from their son ? who is named after Vergerio's favorite Steeler, Mel Blount ? and arrived in August, just in time for the preseason games.

Following the Steelers is a passion that has consumed Vergerio since the 1970s, when he first began attending training camp practices and started his photo collection. It is one that will continue to consume him, whether the Steelers win or lose.

"There's a lot of big Steeler fans," Vergerio said. "But I wouldn't think there are too many who are bigger fans."

http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/457/0119rtattooa0xl.jpg
http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/6773/ph20030111fana6bv.jpg

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_112204.html

83-Steelers-43
06-09-2006, 09:59 AM
This guy was on the local news last year around the time of the playoffs. Guy is a nut. When his wife was pregnant he told her that if she gave birth during the draft he would not be able to attend the birth of his kid. The draft!! Not a regular season game, not a playoff game...the draft. He was dead serious.

I have Steeler ink and a "Steeler room", but this guy is on his own level and marching to his own band. God Bless him though..lol.

Ohio Steeler
06-09-2006, 10:02 AM
This guy was on the local news last year around the time of the playoffs. Guy is a nut. When his wife was pregnant he told her that if she gave birth during the draft he would not be able to attend the birth of his kid. The draft!! Not a regular season game, not a playoff game...the draft. He was dead serious.

LOL

yeh I think this guy has some issues if he would not go to his kids birth during the Draft...

83-Steelers-43
06-09-2006, 10:07 AM
Personally, I would not want Plaxico Burress on my roster let alone on my body for life.

Ohio Steeler
06-09-2006, 10:10 AM
The part that got me was about Kordell Stewart, ok there is no way in Hell I would want him on my body for life...

steelerdude
06-09-2006, 10:30 AM
The part that got me was about Kordell Stewart, ok there is no way in Hell I would want him on my body for life...

yeah, especially on your butt. :sofunny:

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-09-2006, 10:37 AM

..and I felt like an idiot for having a Kordell jersey in my CLOSET!!!

clevestinks
06-09-2006, 10:45 AM
I love the Steelers and I have probably close to a 1000 Steelers articles, but I`m not putting no dudes face on my body, sorry gotta draw the line somewhere!

Ohio Steeler
06-09-2006, 12:07 PM
I love the Steelers and I have probably close to a 1000 Steelers articles, but I`m not putting no dudes face on my body, sorry gotta draw the line somewhere!

oh come on not even Mr Rooney

Lyn
06-09-2006, 12:21 PM
In the next few decades we will have a whole generation of fans with tatoos.

SteelerFanInCA
06-09-2006, 01:03 PM
Man, talk about die hard. I don't know about the Kordell tattoo though. Have to agree, that's something I wouldn't want on my body for the rest of my life.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
06-09-2006, 01:30 PM
i think its crazy to put players on your body, with the way the nfl runs things now theres no telling who will or will not be on the same team each year.

Stlrs4Life
06-09-2006, 02:08 PM
Remember seeing him on the news during the playoffs. It's pretty cool, but I don't think he is much more of a fan than me just cause he has a bunch of tattoos.

pitt
06-09-2006, 03:30 PM
lol The guy is nuts but I gotta admit it. I like the tattoos.

RoethlisBURGHer
06-09-2006, 03:42 PM
I plan on getting a Steelers tattoo on my right arm...but not a ton of stuff like that.

I would love to turn my house (when I buy one) into a Steelers shrine but I will probally just end up with a single room (better be a big one) as my Steelers room.

CAH
06-09-2006, 04:17 PM
I don't like tattoos and that guy looks like a freak.

83-Steelers-43
06-09-2006, 04:31 PM
I plan on getting a Steelers tattoo on my right arm...

"Sinners and Saints" in Pittsburgh do excellent work.

blackvelvet
06-09-2006, 05:40 PM
Well, i hat needles, and as long as i have my own free will, i wouldn't go spitting distance near them. I saw that guy on T.V. and thought, wow, that's....special.

That would make a cool painting though, you'd have to admit. Just not, on some guy's body.

Volpe1564
06-09-2006, 05:47 PM
I plan on getting a Steelers tattoo on my right arm....

id say go to Moose in Delmont but he's not around anymore. JUST DONT GO TO PITCARIN TO CAMEL'S TO GET ONE!!!!!:dang:

MattsMe
06-09-2006, 05:52 PM
Here's a video of him.

http://kdka.com/video/?id=12721@kdka.dayport.com

Suitanim
06-09-2006, 06:15 PM
To each his own, I suppose...

clevestinks
06-09-2006, 06:18 PM
oh come on not even Mr Rooney
Not even Mr.Rooney! Possibly my dad or grandfathers!

SteelerFanInCA
06-09-2006, 06:44 PM
That's quite a bit of beer money that went into those tattoos.

SteelCityMan786
06-09-2006, 11:51 PM
HOLY MOLEY! This guys is just like all of us. Die-Hard.

SteelShooter
06-10-2006, 02:50 AM

:stupid: :iagree:

I'm with ya Bro!

SteelerzGirl
06-10-2006, 08:25 AM

I have Steeler ink and a "Steeler room", but this guy is on his own level and marching to his own band. God Bless him though..lol.

So it would be okay for this guy to not attend the birth of his son/daughter if it was a regular season or playoff game...(lol)? :smile:

83-Steelers-43
06-10-2006, 09:46 AM
So it would be okay for this guy to not attend the birth of his son/daughter if it was a regular season or playoff game...(lol)? :smile:

Ummm..uhhh.......*sweating*......:cya:

Ohio Steeler
06-10-2006, 10:42 AM
Remember seeing him on the news during the playoffs. It's pretty cool, but I don't think he is much more of a fan than me just cause he has a bunch of tattoos.

I happen to agree....

slashsteel
06-10-2006, 07:33 PM
I met him at Latrobe. My room is similar if not more crowded than his. I give this guy competition for diehard fanatic trust me ! hehe