PDA

View Full Version : The walls are finally starting to cave in

WickedSteel
10-07-2011, 08:40 PM
I have been saying for a while now that I believe the Steelers were in decline over the past few years. I said back in January that if the Steelers didn't win the SB that it would be a while before they make it back. The defense is old, the offensive line is in shambles and the $100 million QB is getting pounded every game. The rebuilding starts now and will take some time which is unfortunate for guys like Ward, Farrior, Harrison and Troy who will likely not see another Super Sunday.

This year has been a disaster from the get go and I believe that it will only continue to spiral downward. The D can't stop the run anymore and the O line can't hold a fly back. This was a season that many predicted the Steelers would dominate in and now they have everyone questioning whether they can even beat the Browns or the Bengals. All of these "cakewalk" games suddenly don't look so easy anymore do they?

The most frustrating part to me is that this has not been a secret for years now and the FO has done little about, just watching as things continue to fall apart all around. While I understand their reluctance in free agency, it's maddening at times to watch quality players that could make an immediate impact passed by year after year. Ben has been getting the poop knocked out of him for years now and yet the same rag tag group of O linemen continue to have jobs here allowing Ben to take it on the chin game after game.

BA's playcalling blows my mind as well. He is insistent on calling plays that take forever and a day to develop knowing full well that the O line can't keep defenders off of Ben for more than 2 seconds. Start adjusting the game plan to allow Ben to get rid of the ball faster. Who gives a shit about 50+ yard bombs? The Pats and the Pack and the Saints play the dink and dunk game and last time I looked their offenses were doing pretty well. Not only do they move the ball up and down the field, they take huge chunks of time off the clock as well, keeping the ball out of the opposing teams hands and wearing down their defense. But BA thinks he's too smart for that apparently. Instead, two run plays up the gut on 1st and 2nd down for 1-2 yards and then a 3rd and long that results in a 3 and out is more his style, not to mention the stupid bubble screens. This results in many 3 and outs for the Steeler offense and more pressure on the aging D to hold the other team. This wears them down and they get no help from the offense whatsoever.

I fully expect Ben to get sacked 4+ times on Sunday and possibly get injured worse than he is. I also expect the run game to get stuffed once again and Ben have little time to find open receivers. This is fast turning into a train wreck.

But, then again, the Steelers could come out Sunday and blow out the Titans while clicking on all cylinders. The offense could make big play after big play and the D could dominate and cause turnover after turnover. They could finally get things straightened out and roll the rest of the season while on their way to a rematch with the Pack in the SB and be putting number 7 in the case in February. Yeah, and then I woke up....

Goldsteel86
10-07-2011, 08:46 PM
I have been saying for a while now that I believe the Steelers were in decline over the past few years. I said back in January that if the Steelers didn't win the SB that it would be a while before they make it back. The defense is old, the offensive line is in shambles and the $100 million QB is getting pounded every game. The rebuilding starts now and will take some time which is unfortunate for guys like Ward, Farrior, Harrison and Troy who will likely not see another Super Sunday.

This year has been a disaster from the get go and I believe that it will only continue to spiral downward. The D can't stop the run anymore and the O line can't hold a fly back. This was a season that many predicted the Steelers would dominate in and now they have everyone questioning whether they can even beat the Browns or the Bengals. All of these "cakewalk" games suddenly don't look so easy anymore do they?

The most frustrating part to me is that this has not been a secret for years now and the FO has done little about, just watching as things continue to fall apart all around. While I understand their reluctance in free agency, it's maddening at times to watch quality players that could make an immediate impact passed by year after year. Ben has been getting the poop knocked out of him for years now and yet the same rag tag group of O linemen continue to have jobs here allowing Ben to take it on the chin game after game.

BA's playcalling blows my mind as well. He is insistent on calling plays that take forever and a day to develop knowing full well that the O line can't keep defenders off of Ben for more than 2 seconds. Start adjusting the game plan to allow Ben to get rid of the ball faster. Who gives a shit about 50+ yard bombs? The Pats and the Pack and the Saints play the dink and dunk game and last time I looked their offenses were doing pretty well. Not only do they move the ball up and down the field, they take huge chunks of time off the clock as well, keeping the ball out of the opposing teams hands and wearing down their defense. But BA thinks he's too smart for that apparently. Instead, two run plays up the gut on 1st and 2nd down for 1-2 yards and then a 3rd and long that results in a 3 and out is more his style, not to mention the stupid bubble screens. This results in many 3 and outs for the Steeler offense and more pressure on the aging D to hold the other team. This wears them down and they get no help from the offense whatsoever.

I fully expect Ben to get sacked 4+ times on Sunday and possibly get injured worse than he is. I also expect the run game to get stuffed once again and Ben have little time to find open receivers. This is fast turning into a train wreck.

But, then again, the Steelers could come out Sunday and blow out the Titans while clicking on all cylinders. The offense could make big play after big play and the D could dominate and cause turnover after turnover. They could finally get things straightened out and roll the rest of the season while on their way to a rematch with the Pack in the SB and be putting number 7 in the case in February. Yeah, and then I woke up....

Gotta a good feeling about this week, three of the four games have been played on the road. Tomlin put them in pads twice, the only time this season he is allowed to, recoginizing the need for a win. Ben is going to play irregardless, he will have more confidence with Starks back, Redman will carry the ball better than Mendenhall and I have a sneaky feeling after this Sunday there will be an air of confidence. I think youth will reign in the Steel Town and put the "older" guys on notice.

tony hipchest
10-07-2011, 08:52 PM
people in the city of pittsburgh after reading this post-

-2onoJLq2-8

Atlanta Dan
10-07-2011, 09:02 PM
Wicked Steel briefs the mayor on what is to come

O3ZOKDmorj0

Goldsteel86
10-07-2011, 09:04 PM
Wicked Steel briefs the mayor on what is to come

O3ZOKDmorj0

Ohhh Damn, can't have that the "Stay Puffed Marshmallow Man" is out this week, didn't you hear Hoke is taking Casey Hampton's place.

tony hipchest
10-07-2011, 09:12 PM
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/panic.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/torchpanic.jpg

Goldsteel86
10-07-2011, 09:25 PM
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/panic.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/torchpanic.jpg

Wallace needs to be the "Human Torch" this Sunday and Ben needs to be "Plastic Man", Mendenhall can play the role of the "Invisible Woman" for all I care!!!!! Rumor has it Starks will play the "Thing"!:tt04::tt02::tt::tt03:

tony hipchest
10-07-2011, 09:45 PM
FAh_8erWyQw

PhantomJB93
10-08-2011, 12:24 AM
I personally think, outside of NT and OL (which can be addressed in the next two drafts) we have the talent to still be a Super Bowl contending team for the next 5-7 years (until Ben retires). The problem is that talent won't all come together and be ready for a year or two, and we're in that frustrating limbo stage where the old guys are too old and the young guys are two young. Curtis Brown, Cortez Allen, Stevenson Sylvester, Jason Worilds, Cam Heyward, and Ziggy Hood all have good potential to be solid, even great replacements for their predecessors(I know some of you may hate on Worilds from this preseason but he showed last year that he can have some mean pass rushing ability and I still have faith he'll be good). And of course on offense we've had the pieces (outside of an OT and OG) to remain good on offense for pretty much the next decade, most of the offense outside of Ben is under 25.

MACH1
10-08-2011, 02:43 AM
_uCm1N-vSHI

MasterOfPuppets
10-08-2011, 04:04 AM
http://www.sevendesires.com/panic%20away%20video%201.png

BlaZeQuietly
10-08-2011, 06:02 AM
I love the steelers, and I pick them this week to win but I think its only because im a steelers fan. The o-line will collapse and big ben will get smashed up even more..... and cj is going to run all over our old rusty defense. I hope not but thats what it looks like, then again in the NFL and in PITT things aren't always that predictable, maybe pitt will pull it off with redman, mendenhall hasnt carried the ball well at all this season, and big ben does seem to be able to play through injuries, harrison gone isnt that big of a deal since he isnt exactly having a great season anyways....

Goldsteel86
10-08-2011, 10:03 AM
I love the steelers, and I pick them this week to win but I think its only because im a steelers fan. The o-line will collapse and big ben will get smashed up even more..... and cj is going to run all over our old rusty defense. I hope not but thats what it looks like, then again in the NFL and in PITT things aren't always that predictable, maybe pitt will pull it off with redman, mendenhall hasnt carried the ball well at all this season, and big ben does seem to be able to play through injuries, harrison gone isnt that big of a deal since he isnt exactly having a great season anyways....

Which one is it, will the Titans and CJ run all over the Steelers or will the Steelers gash the Titans? Choose a side, or do you feel the walls caving in?????

steeltheone
10-08-2011, 10:09 AM
We always stayed on top replacing players before they declined. The last few years we kept resigning 30 something year old players.

Steel4ever95
10-08-2011, 10:36 AM
We always stayed on top replacing players before they declined. The last few years we kept resigning 30 something year old players.

Very good point, hopefully after this year the FO will take notice and make some changes. I do think the Steelers have some good potential on the bench, and I really dont think the walls are closing in, kinda early to panic four games into the season.

Goldsteel86
10-08-2011, 10:46 AM
Very good point, hopefully after this year the FO will take notice and make some changes. I do think the Steelers have some good potential on the bench, and I really dont think the walls are closing in, kinda early to panic four games into the season.

I have to agree, how do you game plan for youth, especially someone who is coming off the bench. Could this be a game to see the future stars step up and get it done? I think that we have seen youth come up big especially last year, Emmanuel Sanders and especially Antonio Borwn coming up big when we needed them. Youth and fresh legs can take over a game and a team for that matter!:tt04::tt02::tt03::tt::thumbsup:

LVSteelersfan
10-08-2011, 10:55 AM
The O-line is a disaster. True. But they did draft Gilbert in the second round. Should have kept Urbik but sometimes they get away. Other than that, WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? There is a solid core of young talent all over the place. We have at least 3 CBs in waiting who could be really good, Hood and Heyward for the D-line (still need a NT) and a great group of WRs and RBs. This team IS NOT IN DECLINE. They look like crap at the moment but the core group that you need for a winning team is in place. Fix the O-line (I know, been saying it for years) and this team is a juggernaut sooner than later. We don't need a monster O-line, just a decent one.

Goldsteel86
10-08-2011, 11:01 AM
The O-line is a disaster. True. But they did draft Gilbert in the second round. Should have kept Urbik but sometimes they get away. Other than that, WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? There is a solid core of young talent all over the place. We have at least 3 CBs in waiting who could be really good, Hood and Heyward for the D-line (still need a NT) and a great group of WRs and RBs. This team IS NOT IN DECLINE. They look like crap at the moment but the core group that you need for a winning team is in place. Fix the O-line (I know, been saying it for years) and this team is a juggernaut sooner than later. We don't need a monster O-line, just a decent one.

Once again, time to see that youth, now is the time, let thatyouth step-up and win this game. Time to see Hood, Heyward, Hoke (if you wanna call him youth), Redman, so on and so forth. Its time, its time for Woodley and Timmons to earn their paychecks.

BlaZeQuietly
10-08-2011, 12:05 PM
I agree the youth on this team needs to step up, bottom line, if they don't we're toast.

ricardisimo
10-08-2011, 01:47 PM
I hear they're looking for quality posters over at patriots4ever.com (http://photobucket.com/images/tom%20brady%20gay/) and ravensfever.xxx (http://deadspin.com/5354697/why-your-team-sucks-baltimore-ravens). You know... quality, winning teams. Better hurry up before all the spots are filled.

P.S. - Just to clarify, this comment was not intended for any of the posters still visible in this thread, but a spammer who has now - thankfully - been banned. Thank you mods.

StainlessStill
10-09-2011, 12:27 AM
Our fanbase when we see Ben in the shotgun just waiting to get sacked on 3rd and 11:

http://youtu.be/1vHRMeRszw4

StainlessStill
10-09-2011, 12:35 AM
Us when Arians calls a bubble screen to Hines Ward for -1 yards:

http://youtu.be/umDr0mPuyQc

StainlessStill
10-09-2011, 12:39 AM
Our reaction to seeing our run defense get gashed so far though 4 games:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6MlaIe1ljs

PINDEL1
10-09-2011, 12:55 AM
I think that the bust of OL Urbik last year has hurt them. That I did not expect. I wonder if Kuegler had some responsibility for that one?

Fact is they have been transitioning for some time and have done really well so far.
Don't forget they have lost Faneca and Bettis and have made it back to the SB.

The sudden failure of the DL this year is rather puzzling. IMO it is not Hampton who is at fault.

Hey they have been draft picking at the bottom for many many years. They have done a fantastic job. I would venture to say there is no team in the league that can match there record in the past 2 decades.

I am with the team all the way win or lose. There is no doubt in my mind the org. knows what they are doing better than I.
It just amazes how people on this board spout the obvious and think they know more than the org. It is obvious to me that our org, knows a helluve lot more that the other 31 NFL org.

ricardisimo
10-09-2011, 03:30 AM
Will somebody ban this mother****er already???

BritishSteel
10-09-2011, 06:35 AM
6bbIBs0P2t0

Bayz101
10-09-2011, 08:46 AM
Breath in and out, it'll be ok. Sky isn't falling, it's my blood pressure rising every time I read a panic post.

finesward
10-09-2011, 09:39 PM

But, then again, the Steelers could come out Sunday and blow out the Titans while clicking on all cylinders. The offense could make big play after big play and the D could dominate and cause turnover after turnover. They could finally get things straightened out and roll the rest of the season while on theirr way to a rematch with the Pack in the SB and be putting number 7 in the case in February. Yeah, and then I woke up....

It never gets old making fun of you gloom and doomers when you show your asses. Tell thumper we would of won by 50 pts if only we had plaxico for me....

Bayz101
10-09-2011, 09:51 PM
It never gets old making fun of you gloom and doomers when you show your asses. Tell thumper we would of won by 50 pts if only we had plaxico for me....

I'm not sure if Wicked is truly a fan of Pittsburgh. I mean sure, he may think he is, in his own mind. But I just don't see it. Every time I see a post of his, it's negative. He lives in a world we're the sky is constantly falling around him.

Listen wicked, every team deserves criticism when they do bad. But it seems to me that's the only time you post, when we do bad. I enjoy weeks in which we win, because I almost rarely see a post of your's, unless you're complaining that we should have won 50-0, and not 24-0.

Please, have some faith in the team you claim to be a fan of.

WickedSteel
10-09-2011, 10:04 PM
I'm not sure if Wicked is truly a fan of Pittsburgh. I mean sure, he may think he is, in his own mind. But I just don't see it. Every time I see a post of his, it's negative. He lives in a world we're the sky is constantly falling around him.

Listen wicked, every team deserves criticism when they do bad. But it seems to me that's the only time you post, when we do bad. I enjoy weeks in which we win, because I almost rarely see a post of your's, unless you're complaining that we should have won 50-0, and not 24-0.

Please, have some faith in the team you claim to be a fan of.

See my post in the game ball thread before you go on another rant about how someone DARES vent frustrations about their favorite team.

Bayz101
10-09-2011, 10:21 PM
See my post in the game ball thread before you go on another rant about how someone DARES vent frustrations about their favorite team.

That was not a rant, sir, it was my personal opinion of your reoccurring subject matter. The post in which starts this thread, is a rant.

I could care less about what you posted in another thread. And listen. I understand that Pittsburgh is your favorite team, as they're mine. But what I can't seem to figure out is why you insist on constantly putting them down?

I won't get into this anymore, as it's a waste of my time. I'll just learn to laugh at it, rather than try and take matters into my own hands. I apologize to all the TRUE fans for anything unnecessary I may have caused.

-Nate "The sky remains afloat" Bays.