PDA

View Full Version : Al Davis dead at 82

SteelCityMom
10-08-2011, 10:49 AM
Oakland Raiders owner Al Davis has died
Posted by Michael David Smith on October 8, 2011, 10:41 AM EDT
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/08/oakland-raiders-owner-al-davis-has-died/

Al Davis, the Oakland Raiders owner who was one of the towering figures of professional football over the last half century, has died.

The Raidersí web site has confirmed that Davis passed away this morning. He was 82.

In 1963, the Raiders, at the time a struggling franchise in the upstart American Football League, hired the 33-year-old Davis to be their head coach and general manager. He instantly reversed the teamís fortunes and was named the AFLís Coach of the Year in their first season.

After three seasons as the teamís head coach, Davis briefly left to become commissioner of the AFL, and his aggressive approach in competing head to head with the NFL was one of the reasons that the NFLís owners agreed to merge with their rival league. With that mission accomplished, Davis settled into a new role as managing general partner of the Raiders, a role he would stay in for the rest of his life.

On Davisís watch, the Raiders won Super Bowls XI, XV and XVIII. He was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1992 and is the only person to serve as a personnel assistant, scout, assistant coach, head coach, general manager, commissioner and team owner.

Davis will be remembered as one of the greatest contributors to the game of football that the sport has ever seen.

davidtrout
10-08-2011, 01:49 PM
R.I.P. Al.

Love him, hate him, something in between? I sure do admire the way he lived his life.

ETL
10-08-2011, 03:27 PM
You were one crazy motherf#*%er but I owe you a ton for helping develop the NFL - my most enjoyable pastime and the biggest waster of time in my life.

Ill root for the "Ray eee ders" this week in your honor

Goldsteel86
10-08-2011, 03:30 PM
RIP AL, one of the last of the original "Founders", have to root for your boys in Black and Silver tomorrow!!!!!

Steeldude
10-08-2011, 03:42 PM
it's horrible when anyone dies, but without sounding cold, the raiders are better off now. look for the raiders to start making moves in these next couple of seasons. no more drafting players based solely on speed.

ricardisimo
10-08-2011, 04:18 PM
Wait a second... Al Davis was alive? :huh:

ricardisimo
10-08-2011, 04:27 PM
it's horrible when anyone dies, but without sounding cold, the raiders are better off now. look for the raiders to start making moves in these next couple of seasons. no more drafting players based solely on speed.
It wasn't just speed he looked at. It was speed and the police blotter.

Wrong forum, by the way.

Atlanta Dan
10-08-2011, 05:51 PM
Wait a second... Al Davis was alive? :huh:

In his own way very much so

http://uvtblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/lane-kiffin-al-davis-funny-uvt.jpg

RIP Al - the greatest sports rivalry i have ever witnessed was the Steelers-Raider blood feud from 1972 - 1976 when they met in the playoffs for 5 straight years

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQPseLKkijZHO24TPNkQ-J5ejp1FDWTUhN2vEmhV7Q0QcpnulKGmw

caplovestroyp43
10-08-2011, 06:43 PM
I heard people talking about him at work today and thought "Who gives a crap?" NOT knowing that he had passed away. Now I know what all the fuss was!

RIP Mr. Davis. The Raiders-Steelers games of the 70's will never be forgotten by this fan!

:tt02:

silver & black
10-08-2011, 07:19 PM

That remains to be seen.

I've wanted Al to relinquish power for some time, now. I never hoped it would come to this.

This is going to be a different world from here on out as far as the Raiders are concerned. I can only hope it is better than it has been recently. Time will tell. I do hope a little of the mystique/Al attitude Remains.

tony hipchest
10-08-2011, 11:16 PM
condolences to raider nation.

the grim reaper showed up, chaufferur of that hearse to hell...
al davis kicked him aside, and took over the wheel.

-TH

tony hipchest
10-10-2011, 02:53 AM
great win for da raiduhz today.

somewhere in a soon-to-be repo'd mansion, a 400 pound jamarcus russell is sitting on a broken sofa, in a codine induced high, wondering "who IS this al davis fellow? i think i met him once".

Atlanta Dan
10-10-2011, 03:43 PM
Based on this story about Oakland Al it sounds as if the owners meetings used to be a lot more fun:chuckle:

Dan Rooney detailed a confrontation with Davis during league meetings working out the merger:

I said we would move over to the AFC and announced our new division alignment: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Houston.

As soon as the words were out of my mouth, Al Davis shouted, "No! We have to debate, then vote on the divisions as we go along!"

"This alignment is set. It's untouchable." I said.

Davis shot back, "No it isn't!"

"Listen, this division is set. I don't care what you do as far as the other divisions, but this division is set. If you don't think so, we're out of here right now!"

Sid Gillman of the San Diego Chargers rose. "Danny," he said, "don't pay attention to him. Your division is set, our division is set - it's good, and that's the way it's going to be."

Then we all sat down and began working out other details of the AFL.

But Davis walked out.

Outside of the Red Room, I heard a commotion. Vince Lombardi had somehow heard of my arguement with Davis. In the hallway Vince grabbed Al by the collar, lifted him up, and pressed him against the wall - hard. "If you're going to cause these people trouble,' he warned, 'you'll be run out of here. You're getting the best teams. Dan Rooney came a long way for this, so settle down or we'll throw you out. We don't need you!"

Lombardi wasn't fooling around and Davis knew it. Al returned to the Red Room visibly shaken and sat down quietly. He said nothing about the Steelers divisional alignment. How could he? It was the best for everyone."

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/home/112402-al-davis-and-the-rooneys-10-10-11

ricardisimo
10-10-2011, 05:55 PM
Lombardi had Dan's back. Fantastic. :thumbsup:

Mattrl42
10-10-2011, 06:56 PM
RIP Al Davis, Definetly in my opinion one of the best the NFL has ever seen, living in the bay, many raiders fans are devistated about this.

GMU Steeler
10-10-2011, 07:24 PM
Based on this story about Oakland Al it sounds as if the owners meetings used to be a lot more fun:chuckle:

Dan Rooney detailed a confrontation with Davis during league meetings working out the merger:

I said we would move over to the AFC and announced our new division alignment: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Houston.

As soon as the words were out of my mouth, Al Davis shouted, "No! We have to debate, then vote on the divisions as we go along!"

"This alignment is set. It's untouchable." I said.

Davis shot back, "No it isn't!"

"Listen, this division is set. I don't care what you do as far as the other divisions, but this division is set. If you don't think so, we're out of here right now!"

Sid Gillman of the San Diego Chargers rose. "Danny," he said, "don't pay attention to him. Your division is set, our division is set - it's good, and that's the way it's going to be."

Then we all sat down and began working out other details of the AFL.

But Davis walked out.

Outside of the Red Room, I heard a commotion. Vince Lombardi had somehow heard of my arguement with Davis. In the hallway Vince grabbed Al by the collar, lifted him up, and pressed him against the wall - hard. "If you're going to cause these people trouble,' he warned, 'you'll be run out of here. You're getting the best teams. Dan Rooney came a long way for this, so settle down or we'll throw you out. We don't need you!"

Lombardi wasn't fooling around and Davis knew it. Al returned to the Red Room visibly shaken and sat down quietly. He said nothing about the Steelers divisional alignment. How could he? It was the best for everyone."

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/home/112402-al-davis-and-the-rooneys-10-10-11

Heh Lombardi was a bad ass. Lombardi's a big part though of why the Packers after the Steelers are the team I respect most. Did anyone see that documentary about Lombardi that was on HBO?

tony hipchest
10-11-2011, 01:41 AM
another cool owners meeting was shared by deirdorf during the broadcast on sunday. when dan had his last meeting with the owners before becoming ambassador to ireland, he told them how great it was to have had work with them and that he'd miss them.

"even you, al"

al was the only one to come up to him and personally shake his hand to wish him well before departing. (goodell probably threatend to fine any owner who did as much and everybody knows al dont give a shit.)

Kanata-Steeler
10-16-2011, 05:18 PM
yep, The King of the Raiders' is dead, Long Live The King.
:)