PDA

View Full Version : Johnathon Dwyer!!!!

Goldsteel86
10-09-2011, 03:55 PM
Is this kid the future, looks like he ran with confidence and aggressiveness, time to see, Mendenhall should be done, as a matter of fact he looked worried!!!!!!!

Fire Arians
10-09-2011, 04:00 PM
no doubt. our running back corps will be deep once we get baron batch ready to play next year too

harrison'samonster
10-09-2011, 04:00 PM
Mendenhall did look worried, but I don't think he should be the starter anymore. I think we should see a good dose of all three.

Goldsteel86
10-09-2011, 04:03 PM
:tt04:Mendenhall did look worried, but I don't think he should be the starter anymore. I think we should see a good dose of all three.

All three, I think this is a two man race, the way Redman ran and Dwyer on top of that, no dancing, straight forward breaking tackles, pushing the ball forward. It IMO is a two man race now, to go back to Mendenhall is two steps back!!!!!!!

:tt04::tt02::tt03::tt:

steelerchad
10-09-2011, 04:05 PM
Maybe running back by committee is the way. Maybe Mendy even benefits from this. Keeps the backs fresh and hungry. If you only get 8-10 carries a game you might be a little more anxious to make the most of them.

Goldsteel86
10-09-2011, 04:08 PM
Maybe running back by committee is the way. Maybe Mendy even benefits from this. Keeps the backs fresh and hungry. If you only get 8-10 carries a game you might be a little more anxious to make the most of them.

I could live with that, but it was so nice to see Steeler footbal, hard running that dominated the game. Using the run to set up the pass, and no fumbles from a running back, Steeler fans have to admit, its been a long time since we saw what we saw today!!!!!!:tt02::tt04:

LVSteelersfan
10-09-2011, 04:09 PM
Get real people. You know this coaching staff. Mendenhall is the starter if he is healthy. It would be a miracle to me to see them take the starting job away from Mendenhall even though that is what I want too.

Goldsteel86
10-09-2011, 04:14 PM
Get real people. You know this coaching staff. Mendenhall is the starter if he is healthy. It would be a miracle to me to see them take the starting job away from Mendenhall even though that is what I want too.

I agree it is Mendenhall's job, but give kudos to Tomlin, he never even looked Mendenhall's way today. I think that at least Tomlin saw something good today, I would say Arians would see the same thing but like you said, it is Mendenhall's job, as a matter of fact Arians would put Dwyer back on the Practice Squad in favor of the "Dance Hall".

casteeler
10-09-2011, 04:20 PM
Let Mendy keep his starting job and watch this team go 7-9, you cannot dance and juke behind an offensive line that is attempting to improve. Redman and Dwyer are a good fit

Goldsteel86
10-09-2011, 04:27 PM
I absolutely loved the Offense this week, Redman and Dwyer such a nice combination, they both ran like they wanted to be there. Its time to take a look, Mendenhall looked scared, he should be scared and quite frankly, I believe we jsut saw the future. Redman looked like Bettis and Dwyer showed he is here to stay!!!!

SteelerFanInATL
10-09-2011, 04:48 PM
Mendenhall did look worried, but I don't think he should be the starter anymore. I think we should see a good dose of all three.

I agree with both of those points. Mendy looked like he knew thats how he should be running. RB by commity might not be a bad idea.

ricardisimo
10-09-2011, 05:31 PM
The amazing Redman averaged 3.3 per carry, more or less Mendenhall's numbers. He clearly sucks and is washed up, and Dwyer should start (until he gets shown up by whoever is running behind him.) You people will perpetually be rooting for the backup RB. That's just the way Arians' offense runs. :noidea:

Twentyvalve
10-09-2011, 07:31 PM
It seems like Mendy waits for a block, and Dwyer and Redman are fluid, and run and adjust with the blocks - if that makes sense.

Honestly, I don't know what to thing regarding the RB situation. I think next week will reveal in which direction Tomlin and company are leaning.

Let Mendy keep his starting job and watch this team go 7-9, you cannot dance and juke behind an offensive line that is attempting to improve. Redman and Dwyer are a good fit

BritishSteel
10-09-2011, 07:44 PM
To be fair, Both Redman and Dwyer were running behind a line today that made holes for them and pushed the Titans D-line around all day - Mendenhall's been playing behind a line that's let run-stuffers through almost before he's picked the ball up. That's no criticism of Dwyer and Redman, who looked like a decent 1-2 punch, but the philosophy changed (we even lined up up with a fullback at one point, even if it was Trai Essex!) - if we stick with this approach, and our O-line play maintains the same standard, it'll benefit whoever lines up as RB.

55BaileyFan
10-09-2011, 08:06 PM
I love the Redman/Dwyer combo because its north and south running...but lets be 100% honest, other than that 76 yarder Dwyer just maintained and controlled the clock (10 carries 31 yards) BUT that 76 yarder is the big play that we are needing from RB.

I do agree, Mendy should be gone and those two should be the work horses. I love Dwyer and Redman....power running at its finest.

PINDEL1
10-09-2011, 09:36 PM
People are too harsh on Mendy and some of the other players. Mendy plays hard just like Redman and Dwyer. I think it is great we have 3 good backs.

Lets face the OL sucked big time in some previous games and they know it.

All the bodies were the same except for Starks. Does that mean Starks should get all the credit? I do not think so they just played well today. Lets hope it continues.

GMU Steeler
10-09-2011, 09:59 PM
People are too harsh on Mendy and some of the other players. Mendy plays hard just like Redman and Dwyer. I think it is great we have 3 good backs.

All the bodies were the same except for Starks. Does that mean Starks should get all the credit? I do not think so they just played well today. Lets hope it continues.

I think you're right kinda but the thing I like about Redman's game as opposed to Mendenhall is that he seems to fight for every last yard. Not a knock on Rashard but I prefer Redman's power running game to Mendenhall. I do agree with you though the o-line looked much better today and I think Starks bing back helped. They say O-line play has a lot to do with chemistry and Ben and Starks I know are good friends. Not sure how he and Jonathan Scott are socially but Starks is a guy who;s been with Ben for much of his career while Scott is a guy we picked up just last year. HOpe they keep it up too.

MattsMe
10-09-2011, 10:16 PM
The amazing Redman averaged 3.3 per carry, more or less Mendenhall's numbers. He clearly sucks and is washed up, and Dwyer should start (until he gets shown up by whoever is running behind him.) You people will perpetually be rooting for the backup RB. That's just the way Arians' offense runs. :noidea:

:stupid:

austinfrench76
10-09-2011, 11:17 PM
Mendenhall definitely is the staryer but why in earth do we see Moore more than Redman?!?! That makes no sense. Let the kid play. He is nothing but productive. Dwyer just made it harder for Arians to keep him out of the line up. Good problem for us to have!!

dreegking
10-09-2011, 11:31 PM
Crazy thread. Anti Mendy? I guess I should start ahead of Mendy for the Steelers. I may not have gotten 31 yards on 10 carries but I am faster than Dwyer and I would have scored a td on the long carry. My average would have been pretty good at the end of the game. i am better than Mendy it seems.

Ps

Mendy is one of the best backs in the league - he had zero room to run for 4 games and got more on his own than the oline got for him that is for sure.

tony hipchest
10-09-2011, 11:56 PM

All the bodies were the same except for Starks. Does that mean Starks should get all the credit? I do not think so they just played well today. Lets hope it continues.:applaudit: im pretty sure mendenhall isnt in our long term plans. i dont think we can afford him when his rookie contract expires (think santonio holmes) so im just gonna enjoy and root for him while we got him. if thats in a reserve role then so be it.

Mendenhall definitely is the staryer but why in earth do we see Moore more than Redman?!?! That makes no sense. Let the kid play. He is nothing but productive. Dwyer just made it harder for Arians to keep him out of the line up. Good problem for us to have!!moore is the best backfield blocker and protection for ben. next year it will most likely be baron batch assuming he is healthy and wins the spot.

Third Rail
10-10-2011, 01:15 AM
Today, the Steelers figured out how to fix their running game.

Bench Mendenhall. I hope Redman and Dwyer get the majority of carries for the rest of the season. I know it was just one game, but Mendy has sucked all year and to be honest, he's never really been that great. I know his totals have looked good at the end of the last two seasons, but he's had way too many games where he's struggled against really weak run defenses. I agree, Redman, Dwyer and hopefully Batch are the future. Let Mendy walk.

Whodis
10-10-2011, 03:59 AM
I don't think it's an ant Mendenhall thread as much as tis a anti "spin at the line thread". It was nice to see a rb hit the line (even if it was for 2 or 3 yards). For one game it kind of felt like it should be (minus a consistent fullback). Hats off to the offensive line and it was good to see 83 back.

steeltheone
10-10-2011, 04:16 AM
Im still not sold on Dwyer...The hole he had any NFL back could have exploited..

MDSteel15
10-10-2011, 08:01 AM
Look, everyone still has the Mendhall "I'm an idiot and should not have opened my mouth speech" stuck in their head! He is a top back in the league, when he hits the hole and doesn't dance like a little b'tch... But t was good to see our 2 backups can handle the job if Mendenhall isn't here!!!

finesward
10-10-2011, 08:57 AM
Im still not sold on Dwyer...The hole he had any NFL back could have exploited..

We get it your not sold on anyone and you will always have something negative to say

ebsteelers
10-10-2011, 09:36 AM
good shyt yesterday, was un able to log in lol... damn passwords...

dwyer still runs like he has poop in his draws, but a hell of a job non to less

ebsteelers
10-10-2011, 09:37 AM
so we can use moore, redman, and dwyer

deuces mendy, trade him for some picks

Wallabeast17
10-10-2011, 10:05 AM
Everyone of the backs have a different style which gives them a huge advantage! With that said they should ALL be played in certain situations that is to their advantage..

stiller39
10-10-2011, 01:25 PM
I agree with steelerchad... running back by committee... use em all.

Goldsteel86
10-10-2011, 02:20 PM
:applaudit: im pretty sure mendenhall isnt in our long term plans. i dont think we can afford him when his rookie contract expires (think santonio holmes) so im just gonna enjoy and root for him while we got him. if thats in a reserve role then so be it.

moore is the best backfield blocker and protection for ben. next year it will most likely be baron batch assuming he is healthy and wins the spot.

I have to totally agree, I'll root for him as long as he's in there, however I like the sound of in a reserve role. I would love to see Baron Batch, time to get back to Steeler football. Never knew a team that had an effective running game to mix with the pass to fail. Arians must have been beside himself yesterday, the run versuses his pass scheme seemed to actually work. Give us some more Dwyer and Redman I say!!!!:tt04::tt02::tt03:

fer522
10-10-2011, 02:40 PM

mendy would have had to dance a little before hiting the hole and by the time he was done dancing that hole wouldnt have been there anymore

SunshineMan21
10-10-2011, 02:47 PM
I kinda think the whole 'feature back' system is outdated anyway--only reason to give one guy 25+ carries is if he's an Adrian Peterson/Arian Foster/MoJo level beast, and while Mendy is a decent back he's not in that league.

Would love to see something like:

Mendenhall: 10-15 carries
Redman: 10 carries
Moore: 1-2 carries + scat-back role.

With Dwyer in reserve in case of injury to any of the above three.

tanda10506
10-10-2011, 03:30 PM
After seeing the way these two guys played, and the whole team for that matter, it's in the coaches hands now. Redman is a Steelers type running back, no BS, hitting the whole and gaining tough yards while still being able to break it open if the opportunity is there. I'm not going to say we should cut Mendy after just one game, but he should not be seeing the field unless Redman and Dwyer start going downhill. Moore is there when we need him too, I can't see paying Mendy big money next year when he's getting outperformed like this and we have 3 good backs already.

lardlad
10-10-2011, 08:01 PM
Remember when Tomlin sat out Mendy one other time. He came back fired up. He wasn't really benched, but was dressed and Dwyer had more carries than him. I think these guys were getting a look, and maybe light a fire.

I get frustrated with Mendenhall too how he runs like the defense has cooties, but man I think he is taking a bad wrap here. Take away dwyer's big run and we don't have 100 yards as a team on the ground. And the run did get stuffed at the goal line.I really like Redman, from the first time I saw him run, but if he was the power back a lot of people are making him out to be, Ben wouldn't have thrown 5 td's.

By the way MeMo doesnt get enough credit, he is a great blocker and has made countless clutch plays on third down.

ricardisimo
10-10-2011, 10:09 PM
:applaudit: im pretty sure mendenhall isnt in our long term plans. i dont think we can afford him when his rookie contract expires (think santonio holmes) so im just gonna enjoy and root for him while we got him. if thats in a reserve role then so be it.

moore is the best backfield blocker and protection for ben. next year it will most likely be baron batch assuming he is healthy and wins the spot.

I don't think Colbert and Tomlin would be capable of flushing away the only pick that stuck from that year's draft. They'd be admitting complete failure. Mendenhall is coming back. Wallace is gone.

SunshineMan21
10-10-2011, 10:23 PM
I don't think Colbert and Tomlin would be capable of flushing away the only pick that stuck from that year's draft. They'd be admitting complete failure. Mendenhall is coming back. Wallace is gone.

Resigning Mendenhall over Wallace would be idiotic, imo, and I have nothing against Mendenhall.

Wallace is, on a per-play basis, one of the best receivers in the game. Mendenhall is a slightly above-average RB. We could probably replace Mendenhall with Redman, an undrafted FA, with very little dropoff.

Unless we're grabbing Fitz or something, Wallace is irreplaceable.

GMU Steeler
10-10-2011, 10:46 PM
Resigning Mendenhall over Wallace would be idiotic, imo, and I have nothing against Mendenhall.

Wallace is, on a per-play basis, one of the best receivers in the game. Mendenhall is a slightly above-average RB. We could probably replace Mendenhall with Redman, an undrafted FA, with very little dropoff.

Unless we're grabbing Fitz or something, Wallace is irreplaceable.

This is where I'm at too. I am not anti Mendenhall but Wallace would be a lot harder to replace than Mendenhall which is why I think Wallace will be the priority by the FA. I saw a stat today that Ben and Wallace have the second most 40+ yard passing plays together of any QB-WR tandem other than Manning and Wayne which is incredible considering Peyton and Reggie have been together since 2001 while Mike's only in his third year. I really hope we can keep Wallace and if we do, I am so getting a #17 jersey. I love the guy. So fast and a real treat to watch.

DanRooney
10-10-2011, 11:08 PM

That would be the worst move in Steelers history. Runningbacks are a dime a dozen. We'd be fine with a Redman+Dwyer+Batch/Moore+3rd round draft pick combo if Mendenhall were to leave. A player like Wallace is few and far between. It's not too often that you have the fastest player in the NFL that has sure hands and almost guarantees you a touchdown on a weekly basis.

ricardisimo
10-10-2011, 11:28 PM
That would be the worst move in Steelers history. Runningbacks are a dime a dozen. We'd be fine with a Redman+Dwyer+Batch/Moore+3rd round draft pick combo if Mendenhall were to leave. A player like Wallace is few and far between. It's not too often that you have the fastest player in the NFL that has sure hands and almost guarantees you a touchdown on a weekly basis.

People fet the same way about Plax. Then he cashed out and bolted. People would have said the same about Holmes, but we dealt him moments before he could cash out. Same with Yancey... he cashed out. Other than Hines, the last Steeler WR we resigned was maybe Lipps.

The Steelers do not resign star receivers. Period. Wallace is gone. Get used to the idea now. Every TD and every 100 yard game pushes him further out of the Rooneys' price range, especially with Brown and Sanders in the wings. He is a Jet or a Raider next.

DanRooney
10-11-2011, 12:25 AM
People fet the same way about Plax. Then he cashed out and bolted. People would have said the same about Holmes, but we dealt him moments before he could cash out. Same with Yancey... he cashed out. Other than Hines, the last Steeler WR we resigned was maybe Lipps.

The Steelers do not resign star receivers. Period. Wallace is gone. Get used to the idea now. Every TD and every 100 yard game pushes him further out of the Rooneys' price range, especially with Brown and Sanders in the wings. He is a Jet or a Raider next.

Trust me we will resign Wallace. Neither of the players you mentioned produced like him (maybe Plax one year but he dropped off his final few years due to injury). Plaxico wanted out of Pittsburgh anyway and got his wish. Holmes smoked his way out.

Third Rail
10-11-2011, 12:35 AM
I think Ed Bouchette said recently that they are planning to resign Wallace, meaning that Mendy is likely gone.

I'm not 100% sure on that though; I might be remembering it wrong. But Ed tends to be spot on.

GMU Steeler
10-11-2011, 12:50 AM
I think Ed Bouchette said recently that they are planning to resign Wallace, meaning that Mendy is likely gone.

I'm not 100% sure on that though; I might be remembering it wrong. But Ed tends to be spot on.

I think that would make sense. Gonna be a lot harder to replace Wallace than Mendenhall. So I imagine because of that and Wallace's talent level that he's the first priority to resign. I think we'll get him done honestly. I was worried about resigning both Woodley and Timmons and we got both. Would hate to lose Mike. He's such a special talent.

Third Rail
10-11-2011, 12:54 AM
I think that would make sense. Gonna be a lot harder to replace Wallace than Mendenhall. So I imagine because of that and Wallace's talent level that he's the first priority to resign. I think we'll get him done honestly. I was worried about resigning both Woodley and Timmons and we got both. Would hate to lose Mike. He's such a special talent.

Yeah, I think that's the key to the whole thing. Wallace is a talent that you don't let go, as long as he wants to stick around. Plax, I think, was a different situation. He was really talented but I think Wallace is one of the best receivers in the game, and could possibly be one of the greatest receivers of all time when all is said and done. Of course, it's hard to say something like that yet, but with his abilities this early on in his career, I'd say the sky is the limit for him.

ricksteelers55
10-11-2011, 09:36 PM
I think that wallace will be re-sign for maybe 3-4 years and then he will leave which will be the time he will be on his downfall.If it comes down to Wallace or Mendancehall,they will choose the fastest WR by a mile.

Specially if they plan to keep Arians,there is no need to have a super talented RB in this offense just get an above average guy surrounded by a couple of good backups and a good 3rd down back and you'll be ok

ricardisimo
10-11-2011, 09:54 PM
Trust me we will resign Wallace. Neither of the players you mentioned produced like him (maybe Plax one year but he dropped off his final few years due to injury). Plaxico wanted out of Pittsburgh anyway and got his wish. Holmes smoked his way out.
And I think all of you are smoking your way out of reality on this one. He ain't coming back, and the better he plays this year the more obvious that should become. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out we don't have the money for either Mike or Mendy, but Wallace is definitely gone.

finesward
10-11-2011, 10:29 PM
Ok allow me to play devils advocate here... before we start calling wally one of the greatest receivers of all time and pay him top 5 WR money lets be honest with where his talent truly lies. He's not a tall Red Zone target that you can just toss it up to no matter who is around and feel confident he'll come down with it (megatron, antonio gates, etc) He is a pure speed guy, not knocking his route running abilities at all I think if he continues to be a student to the game he could become as good as you guys think. But like willie parker who demanded respect b/c of his speed, wally might run into trouble if he loses a step, gets nicked up by injuries, etc... Whatever the reason, do we really want to suffer through more mediocre O line play, and possibly have a weakspot at NT because we paid big money to a receiver? Especially with brown who looks just as promising and would come much cheaper due to his lack of touches? It's anyone's guess as to how that gamble could pay off. He could become a savy vet ala marvin harrison and play his whole career with ben to the point where he can make the catch and avoid all the contact and have a long and productive career....OR he could injure his ankle and never quite recover from it (willie reid baby!!!) lol

Me personally, would take Wallace over Mendy in a heartbeat. Not b/c he is a better player or anything, it's just something about mendy i never liked, he seems like a kid out there playing with men. Mentality wise I love what wallace brings...remember seeing a youtube vid before the draft when he showed that confidence without being ****y at all. He knew he was going to be great with whichever team drafted him. Thank god it was the steelers. :tt:

mikegrimey
10-12-2011, 06:23 PM

While I do think u have somewhat of a point saying "the steelers do not sign receivers" is as silly the people who say "the steelers run power football". We resigned Timmons/Woodley to big contracts this off-season, not necessarily a "Steelers staple" to re-sign 2 LB's to big contracts in the same season.

While Wallace may leave for the cash, the brass may want to keep him because he is showing a lot more than brown, sanders or a lot of WRs.

Polamalu43Defense!
10-17-2011, 01:28 PM
Mendy ain't done!! Did you see his game against the Jags yesterday?? Dwyer looked good last week but come on really???

steelfury02
10-17-2011, 02:59 PM
Well - I think Wallace is staying put. We have a couple of older vets that may or may not be around after this season that are taking up some huge chunks of dough.

You've said it best - in Arians system we don't need a career guy at running back - those days are long gone. We'll on average keep a guy 3 to 4 seasons with this system and then on to the next. My nickname for Mendenhall is Willie Zereoue. Speed like parker but a little more muscle.