PDA

View Full Version : where are all the unconfident doom 'n gloomers...

tony hipchest
10-09-2011, 05:35 PM
...who woulda come flooding this site had the steelers lost?

are they too insecure to even drop on by and congratulate US on OUR win? :tt03:

do they only head here for shelter when the sky is falling?

even in victory, im sure they still have enough misery to spread.

ah well, i guess they will strart trickling in to point out the obvious int & ST mistakes, and tell us all how this win means nothing.

GMU Steeler
10-09-2011, 05:37 PM
On vacation? And you're right. They'd be everywhere on the forum if we had lost today. It's almost as if they get some sick joy out of us losing.

Atlanta Dan
10-09-2011, 05:38 PM
Steelers still suck

Terrible special teams play on the onside kick and the blocked punt:mad:

theplatypus
10-09-2011, 05:39 PM
On vacation? And you're right. They'd be everywhere on the forum if we had lost today. It's almost as if they get some sick joy out of us losing.

A couple of them were active in the game day thread, but they got awful quiet after the Titans 1st drive.

tony hipchest
10-09-2011, 05:41 PM
Steelers still suck

:chuckle: you forgot "insignificant win vs inferior competition".

Goldsteel86
10-09-2011, 05:41 PM
Steelers still suck

This must be sarcasm, no way you could even look at Special Teams after a trick play from Sepulvada, onside kick???? How about Sanders recovering, a total non-hitter with the on-side kick!!!!!!

Atlanta Dan
10-09-2011, 05:43 PM
This must be sarcasm, no way you could even look at Special Teams after a trick play from Sepulvada, onside kick???? How about Sanders recovering, a total non-hitter with the on-side kick!!!!!!

Umm - yeah - it is sarcasm:chuckle:

MACH1
10-09-2011, 05:52 PM
Busy hiding in a cave. Didn't ya know the sky is falling.

GMU Steeler
10-09-2011, 05:57 PM
A couple of them were active in the game day thread, but they got awful quiet after the Titans 1st drive.

I know. I was being facetious with the vacation comment. Just meant yeah they seem to be awfully quiet when we're doing well. It gets old honest. Way you hear them talk you wouldn't know this team has won the most Super Bowls since 2004.

Bayz101
10-09-2011, 06:00 PM
They're busy trying to find every little piece of evidence that supports an argument that we performed badly today. We won't be seeing them for a while.

LVSteelersfan
10-09-2011, 06:05 PM
As stated before, I never give up until the Steelers are finished and out of the playoff picture. It was great to see a butt whooping being put on a good 3-1 team for a change. I also get sick of the gloom and doomers out there. You would think we went into this game 0-4 and have been outscored by 100 points every game listening to them. This game should put Aaron Smith on the bench for good. Unfortunately I think the coaches will go back to their normal rotations because they are so freakin stubborn about it. Mendenhall shouldn't even see the light of day but he will be back as the starter before you know it.

davidtrout
10-09-2011, 06:06 PM
What's the point of being a Steeler "fan" if they're just going to win football games, ruin their chances of getting high draft picks, sign their own players instead of other teams', play their starters instead of their back ups, and not fire half the coaching staff every year? This sucks!

They'll be back as soon as something bad happens, either real or fictional, to say "I told you so."

ricardisimo
10-09-2011, 06:25 PM
I'm ready to move on to the "Redman is washed up/Give Dwyer the start" argument.

DanRooney
10-09-2011, 06:30 PM
Cameron Heyward is a beast. Please keep Smith on the bench.

ricardisimo
10-09-2011, 06:32 PM
Cameron Heyward is a beast. Please keep Smith on the bench.
He looked ready to me.

harrison'samonster
10-09-2011, 06:35 PM
the steelers were terrible. Ryan Clark's late hit out of bounds, giving up the first onside kick, and what's with all the offensive linemen getting hurt. They can't do anything right.

And they only did any good because they were just playing against Hasselback. Come on, what's he ever done but take an annual loser team like Seattle to a Superbowl. There wasn't to much to get excited about today.

stb_steeler
10-09-2011, 06:51 PM
Steelers still suck

You still have to give em credit on the fake punt

harrison'samonster
10-09-2011, 06:56 PM
i think the fake punt only went well because Tennessee messed up, Finnegan took off and never looked back. Even the analyst's said the pass was off. lol

I just thought I'd fill in for the doom 'n gloomers

btaylor179
10-09-2011, 07:00 PM
the analyst was dan so that don't count for shit.....we played a good game.....not ready for dwyer he just had a good game.

pete74
10-09-2011, 07:42 PM
i think the fake punt only went well because Tennessee messed up, Finnegan took off and never looked back. Even the analyst's said the pass was off. lol

I just thought I'd fill in for the doom 'n gloomers

doon n gloomers!! if i remember right wernt you the one blaming tomlin and BA last week for everything

OX1947
10-09-2011, 07:45 PM
The onside kick thing was a fluke. And the blocked punt happened at the perfect time. When they were blowing them out. So, the quota for blocked punts is done for the year as well as on side kicks.

ETL
10-09-2011, 07:45 PM
As one other poster said: THEY WENT ALL QUIET AS THE STEELERS WERE WINNING.

Guys like "Wicked" and others claim to be Steelers fans but they behave very similarly to Ravens fans in that they are loud when the Steelers are doing poorly and silent when we win.

What a sad sad existence for them. To only feel alive when they are miserable.

drizze99
10-09-2011, 07:58 PM
I just call it like I see it and don't have my head up the team's ass. They stunk overall in the first 4 weeks. Sure there were a couple bright spots but even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while. The way they played today is what I expected in WEEK 1 versus the Ratbirds. Today wasn't perfect either with a couple dumb penalties and not being alert enough on the onside kick, but overall it was a dominating performance by the Black n Gold. It was refreshing to see the offense click and the defense impose their will on the Titans. Hopefully they can build on this win and play like this for the remaining 11 games.

ETL
10-09-2011, 08:21 PM
"Call it like I see it" and "don't have my head up the team's ass"

I know this is total judgment because I don't know you from a whole in the ground but ... people who use phrases like the ones you just did ... well, let's say that you would NOT be the person I want to be in the bunker with.

Usually when people are in a "bunker" - things are going bad. And you would be there "calling it like you see it" and your, um, "honesty" - would depress me even further - so forgive me for not wanting to be by your side when, um, negative things happen - which in life, will always happen.

BritishSteel
10-09-2011, 08:30 PM
We needed a boost and you know either the Browns or the Pretend Oilers were gonna give it us, because that's their past, present and future.

Not much to criticise this week eh? Better line play on both lines, new offence philosophy that worked pretty well, players all over the place stepping up.......

harrison'samonster
10-09-2011, 08:31 PM
doon n gloomers!! if i remember right wernt you the one blaming tomlin and BA last week for everything

I probably was, but If I said anything about Tomlin it was because we are continuously seeing the same mistakes over and over, and that ultimately falls on the head coach.

As for Arians, I would stand by anything I've ever said of him. He's got to go.

Atlanta Dan
10-09-2011, 08:31 PM
You still have to give em credit on the fake punt

Pass wasn't a tight spiral - Belichick would have called a better fake and the Patriots punter would have thrown a better pass

But what do you expect = front office has not built for the future by failing to draft a punter who is a better passer

Want1MoreSB
10-09-2011, 09:37 PM
Hmmm...that's an interesting comment. When our team is 2-2 and Ravens seem like a domineering AFC team, this win is anything but insignificant. Also, the Titans are not a bad team, they were 3-1 before today's game. Our team simply were more 'hungry' and played with a chip on their shoulders. Both coaching and players' performance were at much higher level than what we saw in the 1st four games.:applaudit:

Want1MoreSB
10-09-2011, 09:48 PM
I just call it like I see it and don't have my head up the team's ass. They stunk overall in the first 4 weeks. Sure there were a couple bright spots but even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while. The way they played today is what I expected in WEEK 1 versus the Ratbirds. Today wasn't perfect either,,,,,.
:blah: I agree with you to some extent. I had been critical of our team due to their subpar performance in the 1st four weeks. But when they do play well as they did today, I do tend to rejoice. There is no such thing as a 'perfect game'. Having said that, I was a bit annoyed by their mistakes but not outraged. I think Coaches Tomlin and Bruce Arians have finally woke up smelled the 'coffee'. We do need to acquire a couple of great offensive linemen via trade.

ZoneBlitzer
10-09-2011, 09:48 PM
I am a relatively self-confessed doom and gloomer. I still think there are problems with this club which will be magnified when they go on the road. Having said that, I have been calling out the offense for some time now and they finally delivered. It is the offense which will have to carry this team now and they did a good job of it today. Now I hope to see it continue in the weeks to come. I was most impressed by the fake punt. I was stunned really to see the call. It was necessary call to ensure that the offense kept on rolling. If the offense can live up to its potential and deliver at least 3 or more touchdowns a game, I think the Steelers will have a shot at being serious contenders in the AFC. Conversely if they go the other way, they won't have the type of D to bail them out.

SteeleReign
10-09-2011, 10:25 PM
Not a doom & gloomer, but I haven't been the biggest Tomlin fan to date. I must say that it appears that he got in some heads during this past week of practice. I was impressed with the passion these guys played with & much of that credit should go to Tomlin.

The biggest difference in this game was the pressure on the QB. Woodley finally came to play, and I thought Timmons played well off the edge. Of course, BUTT-loads of props go to Big Max...what a gamer.

MasterOfPuppets
10-09-2011, 10:38 PM
Not a doom & gloomer, but I haven't been the biggest Tomlin fan to date. I must say that it appears that he got in some heads during this past week of practice. I was impressed with the passion these guys played with & much of that credit should go to Tomlin.

The biggest difference in this game was the pressure on the QB. Woodley finally came to play, and I thought Timmons played well off the edge. Of course, BUTT-loads of props go to Big Max...what a gamer.
the only head he needed to get into was freakin air head airans. its amazing how you can cover up your weaknesses with a descent game plan. had he used his same old " 6 second to develop" pass plays that he usually calls they most likely would have lost again.

MattsMe
10-09-2011, 11:21 PM
Starks' pink skull cap made him look like a penis. The season is over.

JustinM
10-09-2011, 11:23 PM
This season makes no sense. Ravens CRUSH us. Titans beat Ravens. We CRUSH Tennessee. Lions are undefeated. Bills are winning their division. WTFFFFFF

Steeldude
10-10-2011, 03:34 AM
weren't the so-called doom and gloom fans saying get starks back? how did that turn out? would the game have been better if scott was starting? weren't the doomers also saying get hood in there for smith. how did that turn out? :coffee:

oh yeah, and redman for mendenhall. also, arians to use shorter routes

DanRooney
10-10-2011, 04:14 AM
weren't the so-called doom and gloom fans saying get starks back? how did that turn out? would the game have been better if scott was starting? weren't the doomers also saying get hood in there for smith. how did that turn out? :coffee:

It's unbelievable how bad J. Scott really is. I mean how can an average tackle can sit out an entire season, blow up to 400 lbs., sit at home for the first 4 weeks of the season, and outperform a guy with just 3 practices under his belt? Kugler needs to be held accountable for bringing in that bum.

It just amazes me that a lot of people on here were screaming for Flozell/Starks, Redman, and Ziggy Hood but it takes a spree of injuries to get Scott, Mendenhall, and Aaron Smith off the field. I wasn't part of the doom-and-gloom team but a lot of them were right about personnel moves.

steeltheone
10-10-2011, 05:18 AM
And as soon as he can, Tomlin will start Smith again!

Atlanta Dan
10-10-2011, 07:43 AM

Bob Smizik didn't forget:chuckle:

Thatís all good, but nagging, negative thoughts persist:

* The Steelers were whipped by Baltimore in their first game.
* They struggled to beat a weak and still winless Indianapolis team (23-20) in their third game.
* They could score only 10 points in a loss to Houston, a team that gave up 40 the week before and 25 the week after and whose two others wins are against teams that are a combined 0-9.

That is not much of a resume and those games tower over the one yesterday in compiling a full portrait for this team.

http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/bob-smiziks-blog/30367-nagging-negative-steelesr-thoughts

DanRooney
10-10-2011, 07:57 AM
And as soon as he can, Tomlin will start Smith again!

It's unfortunate. Redman will probably also go back to 6 carries a game when Mendenhall is 100%.

Navy86
10-10-2011, 08:07 AM
I haven't posted in at least a couple of weeks simply because I did not have something positive to say. But I'll start negative in this post just to catch up. The Steelers flat out stunk up the joint the last two games against Indy and Houston. Also, players that need to be gone next year are as follows:

R. Clark--makes too many stupid mistakes and doesn't tackle properly.
MeMo--While playing well this season, Dwyer and Redman showed today that we are good in the RB department.
A. Smith--It's time to retire, my friend. Thank you for being a quality DLmen for so many years.
Gay--Duh...his ONLY contribution is on sacks/tackles (could actually show Clark a thing or two).
And some others like Hampton or Hoke (after yesterday, leaning w/ keeping Hoke), Farrier,and Foote.

Now to the good...
Very impressive win all the way around. Yes, some mistakes were made, but that happens in every game. Ward is still the man and while not fast, he still has a place on this team. Wallace contnues to abuse DBs. And that may have been the PRETTIEST pass I've ever seen Ben throw on that 40 yd TD to Wallace; I honestly do not ever remember seeing a pass by Ben that was THAT on the money...no slowing down or adjustment of any kind by Wallace). And what about our rookies! Heyward was blowin' up today. Gilbert more than held his own before re-injuring his shoulder. Carter was in the mix today as well and while his play was not spectacular, it was good for a Rook. Great hard running by our RB core, minus the one Mendenhall impersonation by Dwyer when he danced behind the line looking for a hole. Anyway, glad to see a Steeler team PLAY like a Steeler team. Let's hope this continues!

StainlessStill
10-10-2011, 08:10 AM
Bob Smizik didn't forget:chuckle:

Thatís all good, but nagging, negative thoughts persist:

* The Steelers were whipped by Baltimore in their first game.
* They struggled to beat a weak and still winless Indianapolis team (23-20) in their third game.
* They could score only 10 points in a loss to Houston, a team that gave up 40 the week before and 25 the week after and whose two others wins are against teams that are a combined 0-9.

That is not much of a resume and those games tower over the one yesterday in compiling a full portrait for this team.

http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/bob-smiziks-blog/30367-nagging-negative-steelesr-thoughts

Expect everyone's best. Every time a team plays Pittsburgh and BEATS us, they come out that next week and lay an egg. Baltimore did it in week 1 onto week 2, and Houston did it last week onto this week. When people are saying "Pittsburgh week" and also "That was the greatest win ever for our franchise" then we are still the standard.

Navy86
10-10-2011, 08:22 AM
Expect everyone's best. Every time a team plays Pittsburgh and BEATS us, they come out that next week and lay an egg. Baltimore did it in week 1 onto week 2, and Houston did it last week onto this week. When people are saying "Pittsburgh week" and also "That was the greatest win ever for our franchise" then we are still the standard.

Ah, yes, the good ol' Tomlin quote, "The Standard is the Standard". Seriously, though, the Steelers are still considered by the media as a good "measurement" for other teams. Even at 2-2, many in the media were saying that everyone would find out if the Titans were for real only after they played the Steelers. So we may have a bad game or two, but we are still the Steelers.

I had my doubts after the past two weeks, but honestly, w/ the signing of Max and the ability for our young folks to get in and play and play WELL, has eased my anxiety/concern for the rest of the season.:tt03:

theplatypus
10-10-2011, 08:26 AM

IF the Steelers win with Smith, Mendy, Scott etc are you going to admit that you were wrong? That you're armchair player assessment isn't worth a hill of beans?

BKAnthem
10-10-2011, 11:01 AM
I'm a doom and gloomer and i'm glad we got the W today! I want them to put it all together on the field, lets see if it carries over into next years draft, and we can get some quality Olinemen we seem to pass on annually...

Steelerfreak58
10-10-2011, 11:26 AM
Glad to see the win hope they can keep the momentum going.

drizze99
10-10-2011, 12:50 PM
"Call it like I see it" and "don't have my head up the team's ass"

I know this is total judgment because I don't know you from a whole in the ground but ... people who use phrases like the ones you just did ... well, let's say that you would NOT be the person I want to be in the bunker with.

Usually when people are in a "bunker" - things are going bad. And you would be there "calling it like you see it" and your, um, "honesty" - would depress me even further - so forgive me for not wanting to be by your side when, um, negative things happen - which in life, will always happen.

LMAO... never knew being a straight shooter was such a bad thing.

Sorry, I can't give praise to a bunch of overpaid men playing a game when there is no praise to be given. My honesty might depress you even further and maybe being in the same bunker is a bad idea. It just kills me how some posters on here watch games with blinders on. Yes, they are my favorite team as with every Pittsburgh team but when they are underachieving, I am not afraid to call them out on it. With that said, I praise their play yesterday for the most part. A lot more good than bad yesterday and this team has the talent to play that way every single Sunday.

It's not all rainbows and unicorns buddy!

DanRooney
10-10-2011, 01:26 PM
IF the Steelers win with Smith, Mendy, Scott etc are you going to admit that you were wrong? That you're armchair player assessment isn't worth a hill of beans?

If the Steelers win with Jonathan Scott (which they have), shouldn't he continue to be the starting LT?

It's not about winning or losing when people criticize a player. It's how they perform in that win or loss. There's always a way to get better. Jonathan Scott obviously blew and the coaching staff finally made a move.

queeg
10-10-2011, 03:58 PM
...who woulda come flooding this site had the steelers lost?

are they too insecure to even drop on by and congratulate US on OUR win? :tt03:

do they only head here for shelter when the sky is falling?

even in victory, im sure they still have enough misery to spread.

ah well, i guess they will strart trickling in to point out the obvious int & ST mistakes, and tell us all how this win means nothing.

Hope OCCUPY PITTSBURGH will not happen....we need supportive fans thick and thin...not negative miserable people with personal issues about success.....

Those who trash coaches and players got their own demons but we do not want to read their unbecoming rants!!!!

steelbad@50
10-14-2011, 06:36 PM
:tt02: I tells it like I sees it, great game by the Steelers. But that Ravens game still haunts me, and the only way to exorcise those demons will be for our Steelers to get pay back when they come to Heinz field in a few weeks. Dont mistake doom and gloom for being a sore loser, i cant help it. :mad: I cant stand them Ratbirds.

Atlanta Dan
10-14-2011, 07:20 PM
Bill Simmons sums up where this may be heading:chuckle:

We're two more easy Steelers victories away from them hosting the Patriots in Week 9, as everyone has a good laugh that we thought the 6-2 Steelers were washed up after three weeks. And then … the Patriots will beat them by 20, and everyone will start wondering if the Steelers are washed up again.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7101566/what-learned-nfl-season

Steelerfreak58
10-14-2011, 09:14 PM
Bill Simmons sums up where this may be heading:chuckle:

We're two more easy Steelers victories away from them hosting the Patriots in Week 9, as everyone has a good laugh that we thought the 6-2 Steelers were washed up after three weeks. And then Ö the Patriots will beat them by 20, and everyone will start wondering if the Steelers are washed up again.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7101566/what-learned-nfl-season

LOL pretty much. I hate the Patriots but they know how to tear us apart like a team playing in quick sand. Hopefully Marsha breaks a nail and cant play! :applaudit:

#1LambertFan
10-17-2011, 02:17 AM
Starks' pink skull cap made him look like a penis. The season is over.

Oh man! I could make penetration jokes all day because of you

SmashmouthFootball
10-17-2011, 11:58 AM
We're not much different from the team that just went 12-4 and made the superbowl in which we had a chance to win at the end even though we spent the entire game giving it away with huge mistake after huge mistake.....

There's no reason we can't win between 10-12 games and have a chance every week in the playoffs which is all any team can ask for.

steelfury02
10-17-2011, 01:53 PM
I can't agree with that.

SB 43 Champs Squad Through First Six Games

Wk1 Home v. Texans W 38-17
Wk2 @ Browns W 10-6
Wk3 @ Eagles L 15-6
Wk4 Home v. Ravens 23-20 (OT)
Wk5 @ Jags 26-21
Wk6 Bye___________________
Wk7 Home v. Bengals 38-10

2011 Squad Through First Six Games

Wk1 @ Ravens L 35-7
Wk 2 Home v. Seahawks W 24-0
Wk 3 @ Colts W 23-20
Wk 4 @ Texans L 17-10
Wk 5 Home v. Titans W 38-17
Wk 6 Home v. Jaguars W 17-13

A few points to make when I'm comparing through first six
- Obviously we had 1 more win and 1 less loss in 08
- In 08 we went 5-0 in first 5 AFC games v. being 3-2 against AFC this year. That could hurt us in the end.
- In 08, we were averaging 23.5 points per game. Today we are averaging 19.8.
- In 08, we gave up on average 14.8 pts/game. Today we are giving up 17 points.
- To summarize, that is 3.7 points less on offense, and 2.2 more on defense. We are getting 5.9 less pts production out of this team as a whole.That is like spotting the opponent two field goals from the get go. That is basically like having 1 less series on offense and having the defense driven on 1 more time.

I just think there is a huge gap in production and in a game of inches, a 3 points less on offense and 3 points more on defense is huge.

As far as last year's through 6 games, we averaged 22.8. and gave up 13.6 pts/game. We were 4-1 in AFC v. 3-2 this year. Again - 6 point gap is huge.