PDA

View Full Version : Did someone switch out Ariens Playbook???

California-Steel
10-09-2011, 07:08 PM
The game against the Titants was not the Steelers typical offence. Quick passes to the open man. Running to setup the pass. Screen plays to keep the D honest (still needs work but they tried them). Only one long ball down the field at the right time after quick hitters all day. Attacking a teams weakness.

Either Ariens misplaced his playbook or someone gave him and Ben a stern talking to and told them to run an NFL style offence.

The Steelers looked good except for that "lets get cute" at the end of the half pick that Ben threw.

If Ben and Ariens put togeather game plans like this all the time this team could be scary good. Ben would have 30 plus TD's every season.

Good game Steelers now lets not get cute and let it go to your heads. Keep it up and build off of it.:applaudit:

tony hipchest
10-09-2011, 08:47 PM
i think someone switched out arians brain with one that actually functions.

with bens ijury, it was prudent the gameplan be devised to get it out of his hands quickly. i just figured arians would bee too stubborn to do it.

he admitted last week having about 5 deep bombs to wallace inserted in every gameplan and he hates to not dial them up (hence the garbage time TD to mike to rub the titans noses in it).

arians was also forced to utilize hines and heath more. good things (like moving the chains and scoring td''s) usually happen when they are involved.

OX1947
10-09-2011, 08:53 PM
It all started with Ben not holding the ball every other play for 8 secs. He held on to the ball too long MAYBE 3 times in this game, the rest of the time, he was 5 step and 3 step and pass right away. I know Ben has great improv skills, but from a health and longevity standpoint, he has to do what he did today.

truesteelerfan
10-09-2011, 09:00 PM
I've never said this before, but Ariens called a good game today- now just remember what works Bruce and don't get back to being yourself anytime soon.

stb_steeler
10-09-2011, 09:32 PM
Today's game is the way it should be played... the best game plan so far this year.

Buddha Bus
10-09-2011, 09:54 PM
I'm usually pretty hard on Arians, but today he called an excellent game.

The only question is can Arians stick to a shorter passing game and stay committed to the run game to open up the deep pass? We'll see ,but for now.... good job, Bruce! :drink:

tony hipchest
10-09-2011, 11:41 PM
I'm usually pretty hard on Arians, but today he called an excellent game.

:

eh... maybe not.

i was beginning to think arians may not be so big of an idiot, but once again, he opened his mouth and removed all doubt.

after the game he told reporters he would never tell ben to get rid of the ball quicker. :doh::dang::banging:

really bruce? really?

this is why he was NEVER considered for any position higher than the one (and only one) he currently has. piss poor management from a piss poor manager.

Ben- hey coach, im really beat up and the line is in shambles, but id really like to get in those 5 deep balls you dial up to wallace every game, but i kinda want to take a break from the sacks this weekend and let max get settled in.

Coach Arians- just do your thing ben.

Ben- hey coach, i know i have this lawsuit hanging over me, but i really wanna go out and **** some drunk coeds at the bar tonight.

Coach arians- just keep doin, what you been doin, ben.

Ben- hey coach, hines and heath really look kinda pissed off they been black balled from the gameplan the last 4 weeks. what do you think.

Coach Arians- do your thing ben. just be sure to get my boy wallace his td or 2. he's gonna be my lasting legacy as a receivers coach. people are starting to figure out i really did absolutely nothing for peyton manning as his position coach, other than let him do his thing.

what a dolt.

MACH1
10-09-2011, 11:54 PM
^^^

I'll give him his props for today, but I have a feeling it ain't gonna last long.

http://thatschurch.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/steelersravens6.jpg

tony hipchest
10-10-2011, 12:07 AM
i'll give bruce some props as well. the plays in the book that were ran today were pretty good plays although i woulda liked to see more "banana bunch" (phils simms loves it)/bubble screens :chuckle:.

maybe he has checked out and mike tomlin is now gameplanning and telling ben what to do. :hunch:

i loved the aggressiveness of the late pass to wallace and the failed fake spike. he should probably practice that a few times during the week before they actually run it though.

situational football.

mizzouristeeler
10-10-2011, 12:23 AM
The fake punt even caught me off guard.

SoCalFan
10-10-2011, 01:13 AM
I think Tomlin and Ben had a private meeting and went with a different game plan!BBRRUUUCCCEEE had jack to do with this one! NO PROPS HERE!!!

Steeldude
10-10-2011, 02:28 AM
The game against the Titants was not the Steelers typical offence. Quick passes to the open man. Running to setup the pass. Screen plays to keep the D honest (still needs work but they tried them). Only one long ball down the field at the right time after quick hitters all day. Attacking a teams weakness.

Either Ariens misplaced his playbook or someone gave him and Ben a stern talking to and told them to run an NFL style offence.

The Steelers looked good except for that "lets get cute" at the end of the half pick that Ben threw.

If Ben and Ariens put togeather game plans like this all the time this team could be scary good. Ben would have 30 plus TD's every season.

Good game Steelers now lets not get cute and let it go to your heads. Keep it up and build off of it.:applaudit:

when BR is mobile again he will go back to the long developing plays.

Whodis
10-10-2011, 03:53 AM
I'll praise who ever changed the game plan. I find it hard to believe there was no heat coming down on the offense after 10 points in Houston. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize someone would loose their job if the trend would stay much of the same.

With that said...... How long will it last?

theplatypus
10-10-2011, 08:00 AM
I asked Arians if he had adjusted his playcalling in any way to compensate for the foot injury, and Arians swore that "not one thing" was changed. Earlier in the week, Arians went over play after play with his quarterback to check if he could run it, and Roethlisberger nodded with each. Before the game yesterday, recognizing a brick wall when he saw one, Arians told Roethlisberger: "Play football the way you know how. Don't change who you are just because people think you'll get sacked."

Read more: Kovacevic: Big Ben embodies team resolve - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_761077.html?source=rss_teams_Pittsburgh_Steelers #ixzz1aNpPqz7r

FanSince72
10-10-2011, 08:30 AM
I've never said this before, but Ariens called a good game today- now just remember what works Bruce and don't get back to being yourself anytime soon.

Something else I haven't heard in a long time was when Deirdorf said that the offensive line was playing beautifully and opening up running lanes.

I half expected Rod Serling to pop out of a closet to tell me that I had entered the Twilight Zone.

The team looked pretty good yesterday - even great in some instances.
Whatever it is they're doing or whatever they've spiked Arians' Gatorade with, they need to keep doing.
What a pleasure to just watch a game knowing that we have everything under control and that even with a couple of mistakes there was nothing to worry about.

cloppbeast
10-10-2011, 08:41 AM
Against the Titans, the Steelers had by far there best offensive game-plan I've seen since Arians became OC. I hope they keep the same strategy even after Ben's foot "heals".

Mike Wallace continues to impress. If the Steelers use him the way they did yesterday (not going deep every other play), he could be as prolific as Calvin Johnson, although in a different way.

About they only negative one could find was the miscomunication which resulted in an INT. I don't think any offense is perfect in that regard though. All in all, a great performance. Ben impressed me as well, most notably with his red-zone efficiency.

cloppbeast
10-10-2011, 08:43 AM
I'll praise who ever changed the game plan. I find it hard to believe there was no heat coming down on the offense after 10 points in Houston. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize someone would loose their job if the trend would stay much of the same.

Perhaps Arians started reading posts here at Steelers Fever and we gave him some ideas.....

lardlad
10-10-2011, 11:54 AM
Yeah as some others have said, soon as Ben's foot gets better they'll go back to the 12 step pass plays.

Only hope here is someone stepped in and took control of the game plan. Otherwise the super genus will be back to his 40+ yard routes. Maybe that is what BA meant when I said "I would never ask Ben to get rid of the ball sooner." He also said there would never be a blocking back in his offense. I've seen some of that lately too, ya never know.

Realistically this was a game plan to prevent Ben from being out the rest of the season. It really had nothing to do with scheme, play calling, the OL, or even winning. BA just isn't that bright.

BKAnthem
10-11-2011, 01:46 PM
If he's always had these plays and just never ran them because of some stupid sense of arrogance and taking credit for Bens heroics he should be fired....

Steelerfreak58
10-11-2011, 03:52 PM
I am afraid to tell everyone you will only see it a few times a year....

This next week will be back to bumble stumble football.

When something works right and the offense is clicking Arians seems to go away from it and forget about for at least 8 quarters or so.

Expect to see more...

RUN TO THE RIGHT
RUN TO THE RIGHT
3rd and Long BB SACKED.

I really hope I am wrong and BA has pulled his head out of his ass but then again we are talking about Arians...

ricardisimo
10-11-2011, 04:04 PM
I am afraid to tell everyone you will only see it a few times a year....

This next week will be back to bumble stumble football.

When something works right and the offense is clicking Arians seems to go away from it and forget about for at least 8 quarters or so.

Expect to see more...

RUN TO THE RIGHT
RUN TO THE RIGHT
3rd and Long BB SACKED.

I really hope I am wrong and BA has pulled his head out of his ass but then again we are talking about Arians...
What games have you been watching? Two running plays and a sack? I think you mean two sacks and a running play.

dustyblades
10-11-2011, 05:34 PM
Got to say that while listening to the game on Sunday, I was reminded of Whisenhunt's last year where we were constantly sending Hines on quick slants from the slot. I can't believe it took this long to remember how well that stuff works. Let's just hope that Arians' doppleganger continues to show up and we can keep winning games.

My fingers are crossed, but I'm not holding my breath.

Steelerfreak58
10-11-2011, 07:26 PM
What games have you been watching? Two running plays and a sack? I think you mean two sacks and a running play.

Pardon me. Those are the series I left out when BA decides to "change things up"! :banging:

:toofunny: