PDA

View Full Version : Chris Hoke- Steelers 16-1 when he starts

tony hipchest
10-10-2011, 02:19 AM
this stat has been tossed around here for years, dating back to 2004 when hampton was ou fort the majority of the year and the steelers went 15-1 with hoke filling in.

anytime hoke has played there has been absolutely no noticeable drop off.

except this time there actually seemed to be improvement.

i have often said it is a shame to see his talent wasted on the bench and always wondered why so many teams switching to the 3-4 have never attempted to trade for him. im sure they have, but the steelers were just unwilling to depart. i also have noted how hoke loves being a steeler and has always given a nice hometown discount with his 2 FA contracts.

it looks like his atheletisizm added an extra dimenesion to lebeaus 3-4 (it atleast prevented him from being chopped down, laying on his back, or worse yet, injured.

he anchored and controled the line of scrimmage and was running to the edges real well.

i wonder how long casey's injury will linger.

Steeldude
10-10-2011, 03:27 AM
i caught a lot of heat from the lemmings when i suggested letting hampton go because hoke would be the same or better. hampton got too fat. if hampton could have stayed 320-325 he would have been quite a force. IMO, he is just a fat NT.

Whodis
10-10-2011, 05:02 AM
Hoke was everywhere Sunday. Hampton has turned into a bigger snack and I don't notice the double team as in the past.

steeltheone
10-10-2011, 05:11 AM
I have been saying this since last year...The only drop off is Hamptons 4 mil to Hokes pennys....Problem is Hoke is older too, so enduring a long season could wear him down.

BengalDestroyer
10-10-2011, 09:12 AM
There's no doubt Hoke is awesome and needs to play more, I mentioned this on another thread- Hampton, Hoke, and McClendon all have different styles and all need to be utilized properly. I haven't been impressed with Hampton so far this year either.

stiller39
10-10-2011, 02:28 PM
What a guy to have on the team... WOW... he certainly showed how good he is and how well he steps in. Hampton is good too but he's not an every down player and never has been... Nice game Hoke and glad to have you.

Goldsteel86
10-10-2011, 03:14 PM
I say let Hoke play, that D-Line looked good yesterday, did anyone see what I saw, DL pressure, tackles in the backfield and a QB that at times was forced to make throws he didn't want to. If Hoke is the amswer then I say make the switch. I also believe it is time for more Heyward!!!!!

SunshineMan21
10-10-2011, 03:50 PM
Hoke has been among the most valuable backups in the league for a long time. People were suggesting in the preseason that he might be cut for McClendon--insanity.

fer522
10-10-2011, 03:53 PM
you guys know how stubborn our coaching stuff is
so i expect to see everybody IF healthy (smith hampton mendy.......)to start sunday :banging::banging::banging:

steeltheone
10-10-2011, 04:08 PM
so i expect to see everybody IF healthy (smith hampton mendy.......)to start sunday :banging::banging::banging:

Those 3 names are already penciled in!!!

tanda10506
10-10-2011, 04:14 PM

And I expect to see us get ran all over and not be able to run at all again if that 's the case. D line was excellent, the coaches would be wise not to mess with it. Seemed like Redman had more then 50 yards like the stat chart shows, he definetly ran well, and Dwyer was excellent on his few plays. It could have been the O line difference too which gave us such a great running game, but Redman just put his head down and picked up yards.

stb_steeler
10-10-2011, 04:17 PM
Hokie has that old Steeler look to him....He looks and plays like a Steeler of the 70's.

Goldsteel86
10-10-2011, 04:28 PM
And I expect to see us get ran all over and not be able to run at all again if that 's the case. D line was excellent, the coaches would be wise not to mess with it. Seemed like Redman had more then 50 yards like the stat chart shows, he definetly ran well, and Dwyer was excellent on his few plays. It could have been the O line difference too which gave us such a great running game, but Redman just put his head down and picked up yards.

Time for change, this whole thread makes sense, Hoke and the running back situation needs to change. Casey had his time, seriously being big doesn't fit the need anymore. Time to get back to the basics, if Hoke is getting it done, so be it, Casey needs to sit. It was an awesome sight to see pressure on the QB and the DL sliding down the line to make a tackle. Not at the 2nd and 3rd level, now the RB situation, I think it speaks for itself, Redman and Dwyer ran North and South, Mendenhall llikes to run East and West, the end ends up being North East or Southwest. Redman and Dwyer take what is there, what is given to them, Mendy wants to exploit what is given and tries to let the play develop. Just hit the hole and run, I think Dwyer showed what happens when you hit the hole and run, 76 yards later.

tanda10506
10-10-2011, 06:19 PM
Time for change, this whole thread makes sense, Hoke and the running back situation needs to change. Casey had his time, seriously being big doesn't fit the need anymore. Time to get back to the basics, if Hoke is getting it done, so be it, Casey needs to sit. It was an awesome sight to see pressure on the QB and the DL sliding down the line to make a tackle. Not at the 2nd and 3rd level, now the RB situation, I think it speaks for itself, Redman and Dwyer ran North and South, Mendenhall llikes to run East and West, the end ends up being North East or Southwest. Redman and Dwyer take what is there, what is given to them, Mendy wants to exploit what is given and tries to let the play develop. Just hit the hole and run, I think Dwyer showed what happens when you hit the hole and run, 76 yards later.

I agree with all of that. But to me the bigger difference is Hood playing for Smith. Hoke did play better then Hampton has been, but Hampton wasn't playing bad and wasn't the problem. I agree that Hoke probably should get the start at least next game, but what will kill this team is if we put Smith back in for Hood, he's the main reason we haven't gotten pressure or been able to stop the run.

Fire Arians
10-10-2011, 08:34 PM
we should start him from now on then we'll win the super bowl