PDA

View Full Version : A possible reason for Mendy's struggles

SteelHaven
10-10-2011, 11:00 AM
The coaching staff: it was clear to me yesterday that we don't use our other running backs enough thus making it easier for teams to game plan against Mendy. Does anyone else think this now too?

I feel they need to mix it up now with the running backs. It not only gives us options but it could confuse teams especially if we can find a way to bring 2 of them on the field before plays

wyn50
10-10-2011, 01:04 PM
It seems it was a combination of things. Most of all the line played better. Also the running game was more of a typical run north south style. Less spinning and dancing that mendy likes to do. Plus we kept their defense on the field and wore them out.

SoCalFan
10-10-2011, 01:21 PM
I agree with wyn50,the line play was MUCH improved this week! Mendy can hit the holes quick too,alot of his spin/dancing was done in the secondary last year! I feel if he started the game at full health,he would have had a good game!

Whodis
10-10-2011, 05:20 PM
I think it been the same struggle since last season

-happy feet at the line
-the over used spin move

FanSince72
10-10-2011, 05:56 PM
The coaching staff: it was clear to me yesterday that we don't use our other running backs enough thus making it easier for teams to game plan against Mendy. Does anyone else think this now too?

I feel they need to mix it up now with the running backs. It not only gives us options but it could confuse teams especially if we can find a way to bring 2 of them on the field before plays

I get what you're saying but then how would you explain all those years with Bettis?

Everyone knew Bettis was going to get the ball yet time and time again he'd get us the two yards or three yards for a 1st down or a TD and no one ever really seemed to know how to stop him.

Granted, Bettis was sometimes his own blocker and he also had a great line in front of him, so it's a combination of things, I guess.

I'll tell you what though... I watched a lot of video from the Thumbtacks game and I saw both Redman and Dwyer (mostly Dwyer) shoving themselves into the backs of guards and tackles and pushing them forward until a crack opened up to squirt through and THAT reminded me a lot of how Jerome got it done and it was good to see for a change instead of Mendy standing there like he's waiting for an elevator door to open.

ricardisimo
10-10-2011, 06:21 PM
The starter - Redman - averaged just over 3 yards per carry, just like Mendenhall when he's the starter. The change-of-pace back - Dwyer - blew those numbers away, just like Redman when he's the change-of-pace.

I've got my own theory as to what's going on, but whatever it is, you can't criticize one starter for his production and praise another for the same production.

Rotorhead
10-10-2011, 06:27 PM
I will take 3-4 ypc if it is 3-4 y EACH carry like redman does. Not stuffed 9 times because he is auditioning for dancing w the stars then then bust a 30-40 yarder. Redman is the better type of back for our scheme until we commit to a FB.

Rotorhead
10-10-2011, 06:29 PM
And you cant just look at YPC and get a full picture of their production as shown above. Same YPC doesnt mean squat if you arent getting those YPC when it is 3rd and 2.

ricardisimo
10-10-2011, 06:53 PM
And you cant just look at YPC and get a full picture of their production as shown above. Same YPC doesnt mean squat if you arent getting those YPC when it is 3rd and 2.

1-8-TEN 8 (3:50) 33-I.Redman up the middle to TEN 8 for no gain (56-A.Ayers, 98-D.Ball).
"Redzone" getting stuffed, followed by Ben's first TD pass.

1-1-TEN 1 (6:55) 33-I.Redman right guard to TEN 1 for no gain (30-J.McCourty, 91-J.Jones).
"Redzone" getting stuffed at the one, followed by Ben's 3rd TD pass.

1-10-TEN 11 (6:16) 33-I.Redman right guard to TEN 11 for no gain (99-J.Casey, 31-C.Finnegan).
"Redzone" stuffed yet again in the redzone, just before Ben's 4th TD pass.

I have absolutely nothing against Isaac Redman, and I think he would be the starter on probably more than half the teams in the league this year. I also think Mendy needs some straightening out to fix the dancing, which has become excessive.

That said, Mendenhall is the better back, and he'll return to the starter's position the moment he is healthy, and not a second later. There are problems with our running game which have absolutely nothing to do with our running backs. Eric Dickerson in his prime would be averaging an ugly 3 YPC on this team.

OX1947
10-10-2011, 06:55 PM
Something is going on in Mendenhall's head. He isn't right. He has a history of not using it effectively all the time. I think this will be his last year with Pittsburgh.

Steelerfreak58
10-10-2011, 07:04 PM
THE LINE PLAYED BETTER ALL THE WAY AROUND.

btaylor179
10-10-2011, 08:38 PM
mendy is too busy dancing at the line

lardlad
10-10-2011, 08:41 PM
Doesn't seem like Mendy gets low enough. I really like Redman, but I still think Mendy is the best back they have. Although it seems like he just drops at any point of contact.

It's good to have this kind of problem. I just hope we don't go back to the 80 yard touchdown scheme on EVERY play. Defense played better, but I think all the good things we saw from the offense was due to play calling, from the line to the backs the quick plays made everyone look good.

Rotorhead
10-10-2011, 09:01 PM
Ok you take me to literal, the point is mendy gets his ypa much differently than redman. Mendy gets large runs, usually off tackle, then stuffed more often. Redman doesnt get stuffed nearly as often. We all agree that mendy is the better back, but not for this BA offense.

ricardisimo
10-10-2011, 11:16 PM
Ok you take me to literal, the point is mendy gets his ypa much differently than redman. Mendy gets large runs, usually off tackle, then stuffed more often. Redman doesnt get stuffed nearly as often. We all agree that mendy is the better back, but not for this BA offense.

You're suggesting that Mendy would completely suck but for the occasional long run, and your counterpoint to this is this last game, where if you take away the one long run our rushing attack... well,... sucked. You gotta do better than that.

Mendenhall is very good, just needs to think less, go more and he'll be great. Furthermore, no running back can truly thrive in a Bruce Arians offense. Period.

DanRooney
10-11-2011, 12:21 AM
The starter - Redman - averaged just over 3 yards per carry, just like Mendenhall when he's the starter. The change-of-pace back - Dwyer - blew those numbers away, just like Redman when he's the change-of-pace.

I've got my own theory as to what's going on, but whatever it is, you can't criticize one starter for his production and praise another for the same production.

How many 3rd and longs did we have last game? Not many. Redman was getting a good 3-4 yards on every first and 2nd down. This is a case where the paper stats are irrelevant. It's like saying the Jerome Bettis sucked his last 4 years because of his low YPC. We both watched the game and know Redman played great.

BlaZeQuietly
10-11-2011, 01:03 AM
to think we passed on cj2k for mende in the draft

Third Rail
10-11-2011, 01:37 AM

Ugh, yeah. We could have had Ray Rice too.

Of course, it's possible that neither of them would be good in a Bruce Arrogance offense. But I still think that Mendy is mediocre at best, especially compared to those two.

tony hipchest
10-11-2011, 01:45 AM
and to think we coulda kept john kuhn.

big bad john.

Third Rail
10-11-2011, 01:56 AM
LOL

F*** John Kuhn.

tony hipchest
10-11-2011, 02:27 AM
LOL

F*** John Kuhn.

:cya:

h6fxkdGgx3s

cloppbeast
10-11-2011, 08:56 AM
Mendenhall is very good, just needs to think less, go more and he'll be great. Furthermore, no running back can truly thrive in a Bruce Arians offense. Period.

Didn't Willie Parker (before he broke his leg) lead the league in rushing in Bruce Arians offense?

wera176
10-11-2011, 12:15 PM
Didn't Willie Parker (before he broke his leg) lead the league in rushing in Bruce Arians offense?

Yeah, and everyone complained Bettis didn't get the ball more... :wink02:

ricardisimo
10-11-2011, 01:47 PM

Ah, yes, Arians' first year on the job, and as the Trib points out the only year we cracked the top 10 in yardage, and all for nothing, pure garbagetime. They "ran the tires off" and he finished with a whopping 2 TDs, the true Arians signature: rack up the yards, but no points. The previous year (pre-Arians) he had more yards and 13 rushing TDs to go with them.

Ask Willie if he was thriving that year.

Sixburgher
10-11-2011, 02:48 PM

Yeah, he's been playing just awesome since he got paid, huh?

cloppbeast
10-11-2011, 02:58 PM
Yeah, he's been playing just awesome since he got paid, huh?

I highly doubt we would have paid him anyway.

Sixburgher
10-11-2011, 03:02 PM
The previous year (pre-Arians) he had more yards and 13 rushing TDs to go with them.

And the Steelers finished 8-8, speaking of garbagetime and all for nothing.

DanRooney
10-11-2011, 04:12 PM
Willie Parker sucked in 2007 year despite leading the AFC in rushing.

Third Rail
10-11-2011, 04:27 PM
Willie Parker sucked in 2007 year despite leading the AFC in rushing.

Yep.

That season made me HATE Parker. The only reason he was compiling so many damned yards was because they handed the ball off to him on almost every down. I think the team actually started playing better when he broke his leg.

ricardisimo
10-11-2011, 04:55 PM
And the Steelers finished 8-8, speaking of garbagetime and all for nothing.
Yes, but neither Willie nor Bruce were responsible for Ben's shenanigans that year. Not quite sure what the point here is any longer. Average out Rashard's 2009 and 2010 seasons, and you have pretty much what I think are the optimal numbers that one can expect from a Bruce Arians RB. Redman and Dwyer will not be exceeding that.

The problem is not Rashard, I guess that's my only point. He's got something to figure out this year, to be sure, but I'm confident he'll do it.