PDA

View Full Version : Max Starks...

Steelerfreak58
10-10-2011, 10:28 AM
Wow the guy came in off the couch and did a really great job. Hope he realizes this is his second chance and that he stays healthy! Kudos Max!

rd31669
10-10-2011, 10:46 AM
Ben seemed really comfortable with him on his line too. Great chemistry !!!

stiller39
10-10-2011, 01:23 PM
Max Starks has always been the consummate professional during career. He always says the right things through out all of his ups and downs. He has never embarrassed himself or the Team when he was benched or cut. He now returns and gives the battered O line some new life. Anyone who weighs over 300 lbs and can't work out with the neck injury will put on weight without even trying... Stillers should have know that. They should have cut Aaron Smith, whom I love, and signed Starks and worked him into shape...I'm glad he's back!!!!!

fer522
10-10-2011, 02:56 PM

you're right on the money :thumbsup: Ben looked comfortable
something we didn't see in the past 4 games

tanda10506
10-10-2011, 03:04 PM
Not only did he look comfortable, but he had a decent amount of time. He still got rushed a few times but he had 3-4 seconds instead of 1-2 at best, what a difference. 24/34 is not bad, especially with 5 TD's, and the INT was a team fluke not a throwing error. He still had a few throws that were off, but this was the first game where he was able to concentrate down field, he'll reel them in by next week, all around great passing. I had made some comments earlier in the year that if we just got a good LT that the line would be "okay" because there wouldn't be a free rusher blowing by Scott every play and the rest of the line could focus on their assignments. I think that's what we saw, hopefully Gilbert is okay. Thank you Starks!!!

Steel Boss
10-10-2011, 03:23 PM
It seems like there were some issues going on with Max. I've heard stuff suggesting that Kugler and/or Tomlin were not fans of his, though the reasons were obscure.

It's been clear to many since camp, that they needed some help at tackle. After Week 1, with Willie going down, absolutely everyone could see that they badly needed help at tackle. Their reported talks with Flozell only confirm that they knew it too.

Yet they waited forever to sign Max. Who knows, maybe that Houston game unfolds differently with him in there.

I would LOVE to know what their thought process with the awy they've handled the O-line. From the outside looking in, it's looked very bizarre.

stb_steeler
10-10-2011, 03:23 PM

Well being best friends does help.......We hear about teams having chemistry all the time, maybe thats whats been missing!

Drizztbob
10-10-2011, 05:09 PM
Tomlin gave Starks the game ball on Sunday, so they definitely realize what an asset he is to the team.

ricardisimo
10-10-2011, 06:18 PM
I think it's telling that the game plan finally changed this week, shorter passes, more up-tempo, three-step drops instead of five, slightly more balanced running attack. Starks is good, and I'm glad he's back, but I'm sure they felt some pressure to help him out first time back.

steelerjim58
10-10-2011, 06:31 PM
I do not know if the adjective exist to describe how well Starks played all things considered. I have got to believe that possibly he and the Steelers have been in contact for a while. He has to have been working out and getting in shape to have played the way he did on Sunday. But in any case it was good to see him out there.

PhantomJB93
10-10-2011, 06:36 PM
If Starks continues to make a difference like this ans stays healthy, I'd argue he should be given a 2-3 year extension. He's not the greatest LT ever but I think the difference he makes has always been pretty underrated, and I'd feel comfortable with him for another couple years (he's only 29, I've seen people talk about his "age" like he's 35) while we hopefully groom another tackle prospect from the 2012 draft to replace him.

PINDEL1
10-14-2011, 12:00 AM
My theory on the Max Starks drama is that he was punished for coming to camp so much overweight and they gave him a 3 or 4 week suspension to get his butt in shape. I believe they had intentions all the time to bring him back.

tony hipchest
10-14-2011, 12:31 AM
My theory on the Max Starks drama is that he was punished for coming to camp so much overweight and they gave him a 3 or 4 week suspension to get his butt in shape. I believe they had intentions all the time to bring him back.getting ben killed would most certainly teach max the error of his ways. if your theory is correct, it is deffinitely bruce arians' brainchild.

:muhaha: "that'll trick 'em"

i think they just figured scott was the LT starter for over half of last season and into the SB and assumed that he would progress.

"sometimes you're right, sometimes you're wrong". (nature of the game)

DanRooney
10-14-2011, 04:01 AM
If Starks continues to make a difference like this ans stays healthy, I'd argue he should be given a 2-3 year extension. He's not the greatest LT ever but I think the difference he makes has always been pretty underrated, and I'd feel comfortable with him for another couple years (he's only 29, I've seen people talk about his "age" like he's 35) while we hopefully groom another tackle prospect from the 2012 draft to replace him.

Underrated? He was paid like a top 5 tackle just a year ago. No idea what our FO was thinkig there :doh: