PDA

View Full Version : who's number one in pass defense ?

MasterOfPuppets
10-10-2011, 12:09 PM
its the pittsburgh steelers .....:applaudit:

EVERYBODY had the defensive backfield pegged as a glaring weakness , so how in the hell can this be ?

thje patriots are dead last.

Merchant
10-10-2011, 12:29 PM
And the "old" defense is #2 overall.

How about that AFC North defense going 1 (Cincy) 2 (Us) and 3 (Baltimore)

http://www.nfl.com/stats/team

Steelerfreak58
10-10-2011, 12:38 PM
They give up the small stuff but don't let anything big get past them. Its the way it has always been.

The only problem is the Patriots, Packers and a few others nickle and dime us to death down the field and score. Not to mention when the Steelers play them they always seem to shoot themselves in both feet and the knee and beat themselves.

To beat teams like the Patriots, Greenbay, Ravens... you MUST play MISTAKE FREE football. You can't give those guys opportunities to put up extra points on the board from mistakes.

ebsteelers
10-10-2011, 12:45 PM
still 3-2 though.. (mainly cause of the poor oline play against texans and ravens)looks like that o line was fixed this week..

dont let the stats fool you though, chargers were number 1 in d last year i believe and missed the playoffs.

i will say swag looks very good so far this year.

and lewis and gay in years 3 and 4 look like they know what the hell is goin on now

steelersfan77
10-10-2011, 06:14 PM
Stats are just stats. They can speak some truth and for the most part they can be misleading. Is it awesome if a running back puts up 1500 yards? Yeah but then you peak at his yards per carry and you see the team he plays for has abused him and his ypc is 2.3.

I love what this defense does against the pass. They play contain and when the ball is delivered they make the tackle. They've been doing that pretty routinely lately. The key is making the tackle.

It's very important that this team find more pass cover guys. Some of the best teams in the league are going pass heavy, the Pats and Packers, because they have great accurate QB's. Last years Pats took us down in the regular season by attacking us down the middle with TE's. Green Bay also attacked our seams. This has to change.

The steelers "D" matches up great with 90% of the league and then there's a few teams that seem to have no problem shredding them.

Lately teams have been able to run on this defense but I think we'll see that come to a stop very quickly.

Just to add I didn't like what the Jets tried to do against the Pats yesterday playing at times 7 Db's. The pats ran all over them. I did like how at times Welker was covered by the best cover CB even though that guy was in the slot. When the time comes the steelers need to think about putting Taylor on Welker and doubling the TE while playing not to get beat on the corners.

ricardisimo
10-10-2011, 06:35 PM
Stats are just stats. They can speak some truth and for the most part they can be misleading. Is it awesome if a running back puts up 1500 yards? Yeah but then you peak at his yards per carry and you see the team he plays for has abused him and his ypc is 2.3.

I love what this defense does against the pass. They play contain and when the ball is delivered they make the tackle. They've been doing that pretty routinely lately. The key is making the tackle.

It's very important that this team find more pass cover guys. Some of the best teams in the league are going pass heavy, the Pats and Packers, because they have great accurate QB's. Last years Pats took us down in the regular season by attacking us down the middle with TE's. Green Bay also attacked our seams. This has to change.

The steelers "D" matches up great with 90% of the league and then there's a few teams that seem to have no problem shredding them.

Lately teams have been able to run on this defense but I think we'll see that come to a stop very quickly.

Just to add I didn't like what the Jets tried to do against the Pats yesterday playing at times 7 Db's. The pats ran all over them. I did like how at times Welker was covered by the best cover CB even though that guy was in the slot. When the time comes the steelers need to think about putting Taylor on Welker and doubling the TE while playing not to get beat on the corners.
I'm not even going to check. I'm just going to dare you to find me the running back anytime in NFL history who ran for 1500 yards in a season with a 2.3 YPC, or any number even remotely close to that. Last year's San Diego Chargers are the exception that proves the rule: being tops in offense and/or defense gives you as good a chance as any to win on Sunday.

Stats are misleading if you're only looking at stats.

steelerchad
10-10-2011, 07:26 PM

You make some valid points, but you've also grossly over exaggerated some of them. The Pats and Packers have shredded most teams the last couple of years and 600 + carries in a season never happens.
What the Steelers really need to do is be able to make a couple of stops or turnovers against those high powered Offenses and then have their own Offense that can keep up in a shootout. Yesterday was a good start.

Danny136200
10-10-2011, 07:31 PM

You would need about 652 carries in a season (average 2.3 a carry) to get 1500 yards.

The Steelers pass defense has been stellar this season (except for the first week, when we decided not to cover their only legit weapon). We stopped Hasselbeck and the Titans, who have been playing good passing he ball, we stopped the high octane PASS offense of the Texans*; so all in all, I think the pass defense has been doing a really good job, hopefully they will keep it up when the Ravens and Patriots come to town.

*We got gashed for over 180 rushing yards, so with the Texans success on the ground, they did not really throw the ball that much. Plus Andre Johnson, their best WR, left before the 1st half.

pete74
10-10-2011, 07:48 PM
guys, i think he was exagerating and just putting up a number to give you an example.

ricardisimo
10-10-2011, 08:01 PM
guys, i think he was exagerating and just putting up a number to give you an example.
Of course he was. A) It's ironic to put up fictional numbers when your point is to claim that stats are misleading (fictional numbers are indeed misleading). B) My position stands no matter what numbers he puts up: stats are only misleading if all you're looking at is stats.

ricardisimo
10-10-2011, 08:04 PM
And the "old" defense is #2 overall.

How about that AFC North defense going 1 (Cincy) 2 (Us) and 3 (Baltimore)

http://www.nfl.com/stats/team
And the Browns are 9th.

Fire Arians
10-10-2011, 08:36 PM
both lewis and gay are playing good football right now

ETL
10-10-2011, 08:40 PM
Its all Gay!!!

Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay

btaylor179
10-10-2011, 08:41 PM
im no rocket scientist but the reason we have #1 pass defense is because houston and baltimore ran all over us....no reason to throw.....give it a lil while we still got to play Brady

Rotorhead
10-10-2011, 09:45 PM
I think our recent run def is partly to blame for the good passing def, but i also think Lebeau is changing up his schemes to fix our issues from last season (& SB). Face it, GB and the pats , etc dont have killer running games, so we need to stop that and make those teams beat us with running games. Foster was one big run from being held under 100 yds so get rid of that (which was a blown contain by Woodley) and we win that game most likely. I think our passing def upgrade is by design more than poor running def. We maybe shouldnt be #1 but top ten for sure.

GMU Steeler
10-10-2011, 09:49 PM
We need to stop obsessing about Brady and the Pats. Yes, we should prepare for that game but we're ignoring the fact that that's only one of sixteen games and the other games also measure the big picture. Not saying the pass D has been amazing but it's been efficient and frankly we did a better job with Scuhab than I thought we would. It's true that Rice and Foster both gouged the run D but this last game especially I was noticing a lot of physicality with the Titans receivers. It did help that they were missing Britt but you don't choose an opponent to be missing their best wideout.

GMU Steeler
10-10-2011, 09:53 PM
[QUOTE=GMU Steeler;952627]We need to stop obsessing about Brady and the Pats. Yes, we should prepare for that game but we're ignoring the fact that that's only one of sixteen games and the other games also measure the big picture. Not saying the pass D has been amazing but it's been efficient and frankly we did a better job with Scuhab than I thought we would. It's true that Rice and Foster both gouged the run D but this last game especially I was noticing a lot of physicality with the Titans receivers. It did help that they were missing Britt but you don't choose an opponent to be missing their best wideout.Also it's clear as day to me that while our secondary needs work still, it's not the bottom tier unit we feared it was. The Pats should be worried about their secondary which is why I think we have a good shot at beating them this year.

wera176
10-11-2011, 12:26 PM
Of course he was. A) It's ironic to put up fictional numbers when your point is to claim that stats are misleading (fictional numbers are indeed misleading). B) My position stands no matter what numbers he puts up: stats are only misleading if all you're looking at is stats.

I think you proved his point for him... :hug:

:drink:

MACH1
10-11-2011, 12:49 PM
The pats* are going to light us up like a christmas tree.

slurp, slurp

:rolleyes:

kirklandrules
10-11-2011, 12:49 PM
im no rocket scientist but the reason we have #1 pass defense is because houston and baltimore ran all over us....no reason to throw.....give it a lil while we still got to play Brady

The Steelers are #1 against the pass because the best QB they have faced this year is ... Flacco? Actually, I think Schaub would have had a chance of looking great if the Texans weren't getting 6 yards a pop running the ball. Hell, he wasn't pressured at all in that game.

I'm glad they've handled their business so far and that they are buying themselves some time to perfect their game before the big challenges come along.

Anybody know why Mundy was playing so much this week?

ricardisimo
10-11-2011, 02:02 PM
I think you proved his point for him... :hug:

:drink:

Oh, really? Please elaborate, Professor Wittgenstein.

MasterOfPuppets
10-11-2011, 02:26 PM
The Steelers are #1 against the pass because the best QB they have faced this year is ... Flacco? Actually, I think Schaub would have had a chance of looking great if the Texans weren't getting 6 yards a pop running the ball. Hell, he wasn't pressured at all in that game.

I'm glad they've handled their business so far and that they are buying themselves some time to perfect their game before the big challenges come along.

tavarus jackson put up 319 yards against atlanta
curtis painter put up 277 against KC
hasselbeck put up 358 against baltimore.

my point is , if given the right oppurtunities these guys can put up the yards , apparently the steeler db's didn't give them those oppurtunities.

ricardisimo
10-11-2011, 02:35 PM

my point is , if given the right oppurtunities these guys can put up the yards , apparently the steeler db's didn't give them those oppurtunities.
You're missing the point, MoP... we suck, the Patriots rule, and there's no point in continuing with the season.

DanRooney
10-11-2011, 04:19 PM

Troy was lining up at ILB on some plays I believe.

wera176
10-11-2011, 08:19 PM
Oh, really? Please elaborate, Professor Wittgenstein.

His point: some (obviously fictitious) RB has a huge total rushing yards and everyone looks at that stat and thinks that makes him a HoF'er (ok, I embellished, but..) without looking deeper into why he had those big numbers. i.e they abused him, or his QB sucked, or.. So you have to look at more than just his stats...

Your point: stats are only misleading if all you look at is stats.

Maybe I'm missing someone's point (very possible) but seems you guys are saying the approximately the same thing, no? :noidea:

ricardisimo
10-11-2011, 08:50 PM
His point: some (obviously fictitious) RB has a huge total rushing yards and everyone looks at that stat and thinks that makes him a HoF'er (ok, I embellished, but..) without looking deeper into why he had those big numbers. i.e they abused him, or his QB sucked, or.. So you have to look at more than just his stats...

Your point: stats are only misleading if all you look at is stats.

Maybe I'm missing someone's point (very possible) but seems you guys are saying the approximately the same thing, no? :noidea:
Hmmm... his claim is that stats are misleading, and to prove that he made up some completely fictional running back; in other words, not stats at all, but a fairy tale. Lies and fictions are misleading, of course.

My point was that stats are not misleading. They provide a good thumbnail sketch with which to begin any decent football discussion. If there's more to be told, then it should come to light at some point in that discussion, whether it's the ice water in Joe Montana's veins or having to work within a Bruce Arians offensive scheme. In any event, the stats are not misleading.

So no, we're not saying the same thing.

MasterOfPuppets
10-11-2011, 10:37 PM
http://www.picpop.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10538/thumb_cbarguing20ju.gif

Steel_Bus_24
10-11-2011, 11:40 PM

*Seahawks didnt have their best WR(Rice)
*Titans were down their best WR(Britt)
*Texans were down their best WR(Scratch that "The" Best WR in Johnson) most of the game(As if they needed to pass anyway)
*Colts played with Collins most of the Game

Do not be fooled, we have a lot of stuff to improve on if we want to have a legit shot this year

ebsteelers
10-12-2011, 09:24 AM
Hmmm... his claim is that stats are misleading, and to prove that he made up some completely fictional running back; in other words, not stats at all, but a fairy tale. Lies and fictions are misleading, of course.

My point was that stats are not misleading. They provide a good thumbnail sketch with which to begin any decent football discussion. If there's more to be told, then it should come to light at some point in that discussion, whether it's the ice water in Joe Montana's veins or having to work within a Bruce Arians offensive scheme. In any event, the stats are not misleading.

stats can be very misleading though.

if a team is winning 38-0 late... and then the losing team drive the field to score 2 trash tds. those are garbage yard on both sides, that can lead to misleading numbers.

either way, there is still work to be done on both sides of the ball, i dont think anyone can disagree with that

Steeldude
10-12-2011, 03:54 PM
its the pittsburgh steelers .....:applaudit:

EVERYBODY had the defensive backfield pegged as a glaring weakness , so how in the hell can this be ?

thje patriots are dead last.

because it's so easy to run against the steelers. also, the steelers haven't faced any decent QBs other than flacco

mcfadden being on the bench helps too :drink:

cloppbeast
10-12-2011, 04:04 PM
Stats can't mislead. Some people just don't know how to interpret them.

Blame people, not stats.

Fire Arians
10-12-2011, 04:09 PM
because it's so easy to run against the steelers. also, the steelers haven't faced any decent QBs other than flacco

mcfadden being on the bench helps too :drink:

that guy schaub isn't too bad

tanda10506
10-12-2011, 06:47 PM
I agree that we haven't faced anybody "great" like Brady or Manning, but Flacco and Schaub are pretty decent and so is Hasselbeck. There's not many "greats", and the one's that are great can pass on any team, having a number one pass D isn't based on if we stop the Pats and Packers alone. I think the CB's are playing well, much better then ladt year. Taylor has been a shutdown corner and Gay and Lewis have played their spots pretty well. This last showing against the titans was great, the pass rush was decent and the corners played well, allowing Polamalu to roam. Hasselbeck threw for 350+ on the ravens and we shut him down well. If the defense continues to play like that we will be a real force this year, and if the offense plays like they did against the titans we can beat the Pats and Ravens. I know it was just one game but the defense played like last year and the offense scored 38 points, and with the right personnel and play calling this team can play like that every game.

wera176
10-12-2011, 07:28 PM

Ok. :doh:

Steeldude
10-12-2011, 07:39 PM
that guy schaub isn't too bad

that's true, but they didn't need him with foster torching the ground