PDA

View Full Version : Keenan Lewis should keep his spot even when McFadden is 100% healthy

Fire Arians
10-11-2011, 11:40 PM
I think Lewis has finally turned the corner this season and has been playing very well. With the exception of the late TD where he peeked into the backfield, he was lights out against the Titans. He's not going to take Ike's spot anytime soon, or ever, but all we really need is for him to be an effective #2 corner, and he's doing just that.

The solid corner play is allowing lebeau to put troy where he's best, inside the box and being unpredicatable. Although I was dreading the new england game before the season started, I can't wait for that matchup to see how effective our changes in the secondary really were, and if we will fare better against brady.

also anyone else like the fact that lewis is always lined up at the LoS and jamming the receivers out of their routes? I like that aggressive coverage style over the 10 yard cushions McFadden always gives.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/10/steelers-week-5-coverage-stats-versus-titans/

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
10-11-2011, 11:55 PM
I think Mcfadden should move to nickle just think about that ike on one side and keenan lewis on the other then mcfadden covering the tightends/3rd receivers i dont think no one would pass on us. But that touchdown that keenan gave up was not his fault really ryan mundy was the one that should have been covering him after keenan stoped the coverage. But He Is Getting Very Good/Great

tony hipchest
10-11-2011, 11:57 PM
its not mcfaddens call whether he jams at the LOS or gives a typical, zone blitz, cushion.

with that being said, tomlin already said as much in todays presser in regards to gay and lewis retaining the roles they have had the past few weeks. in his words-

"if it aint broke, dont try to fix it"

Fire Arians
10-12-2011, 12:31 AM
its not mcfaddens call whether he jams at the LOS or gives a typical, zone blitz, cushion.

with that being said, tomlin already said as much in todays presser in regards to gay and lewis retaining the roles they have had the past few weeks. in his words-

good to know. I honestly think mcfadden's coverage skills are lacking, but he's a good tackler, hence the cushion. keenan is a better cover man whose best asset is the jamming at the LoS with those long arms, so lebeau is just allowing him to play to his own strength.

ricardisimo
10-12-2011, 02:13 AM
For the record, Lewis doesn't have McFadden's spot, Gay does, but I think your point remains the same either way. And yeah, there's no arguing with results.
:thumbsup:

Rick5895
10-12-2011, 05:50 AM
For the record, Lewis doesn't have McFadden's spot, Gay does, but I think your point remains the same either way. And yeah, there's no arguing with results.

Gay has been starting at corner, and in the nickel Lewis comes in and moves to corner and Gay goes to the nickel position. They have both been doing very well, and Lewis has been impressing me with his ability to tackle where, he is just as good if not better than BMac.
I think we are starting to see McFadden being phased out in the secondary and I have a feeling that when Smith is ready we will see the same on the DL.

jtbsteeler
10-12-2011, 06:06 AM
I think Mcfadden should move to nickle just think about that ike on one side and keenan lewis on the other then mcfadden covering the tightends/3rd receivers i dont think no one would pass on us. But that touchdown that keenan gave up was not his fault really ryan mundy was the one that should have been covering him after keenan stoped the coverage. But He Is Getting Very Good/Great

Exactly. When the Pats TE's light up Gay again we'll be begging for BMac. Ike, Lewis and Bmac. Gay can play the dime.

jtbsteeler
10-12-2011, 06:07 AM
Gay has been starting at corner, and in the nickel Lewis comes in and moves to corner and Gay goes to the nickel position. They have both been doing very well, and Lewis has been impressing me with his ability to tackle where, he is just as good if not better than BMac.
I think we are starting to see McFadden being phased out in the secondary and I have a feeling that when Smith is ready we will see the same on the DL.

Only a fool gives William Gay his full trust. I'll never do that again.

ebsteelers
10-12-2011, 08:19 AM
either way if all 4 guys corners playing good to great, then its game on

Rotorhead
10-12-2011, 09:07 AM
Will BMac be healthy by the NE game? Or at least by Baltimore? How about Harrison? Any news on their recovery?

Fire Arians
10-12-2011, 11:39 AM
Exactly. When the Pats TE's light up Gay again we'll be begging for BMac. Ike, Lewis and Bmac. Gay can play the dime.

I'm all for using the dime package and having troy cover gronkowski

Rick5895
10-12-2011, 12:10 PM
Only a fool gives William Gay his full trust. I'll never do that again.

Well there sport, I am making an observation. Gay HAS been playing decent football, as has Lewis, and don't forget we also have Brown and Allen learning the position. As I said, Bmac is looking like he is being phased out. Does that mean I think Gay is the second coming of Mel Blount...NO! But I acknowledge he is doing a good job.

Only a "fool" thinks it matters whether or not we as fans trust the players.

People have been bashing the likes of Gay and others (Me included at times) on this forum. Perhaps it's time we applaud the effort and good play the Steelers are getting from these guys instead of waiting for a mistake so you can say "I told you so"

:tt04:

BKAnthem
10-12-2011, 12:29 PM

you are right it's not his call, but his coverage skills are definitely a determining factor in how Lebeau uses him.....But overall Lake has been doing an incredible job with this group

vball
10-12-2011, 01:07 PM
i think bmac would make a good safety. good tackler and closes well he gives a cushion.

would have pretty good speed for free safety and ok size.

Fire Arians
10-12-2011, 01:30 PM

well true, but they are in the nickel package so much that lewis is lined up as the #2 corner at least 70% of the time

also i really liked that dime formation lebeau used vs the titans where he brought in mundy and used troy as a safety/linebacker hybrid. could they be onto something here?

i know mundy/lewis sort of blew it on that late TD, but I think the more they are on the field their chemistry should get better. better to get that out of their system in garbage time

jtbsteeler
10-12-2011, 01:30 PM
Well there sport, I am making an observation. Gay HAS been playing decent football, as has Lewis, and don't forget we also have Brown and Allen learning the position. As I said, Bmac is looking like he is being phased out. Does that mean I think Gay is the second coming of Mel Blount...NO! But I acknowledge he is doing a good job.

Only a "fool" thinks it matters whether or not we as fans trust the players.

People have been bashing the likes of Gay and others (Me included at times) on this forum. Perhaps it's time we applaud the effort and good play the Steelers are getting from these guys instead of waiting for a mistake so you can say "I told you so"

:tt04:

I hope Gay makes the Pro Bowl. Until then I give him luke warm praise. He cost me bragging rights in the SB in February. I've seen what happens when a QB picks on William Gay. It aint pretty...

Rick5895
10-12-2011, 02:09 PM
I hope Gay makes the Pro Bowl. Until then I give him luke warm praise. He cost me bragging rights in the SB in February. I've seen what happens when a QB picks on William Gay. It aint pretty...
William Gay cost you bragging rites after the Super bowl. Yep he was the only reason we lost the game. :banging: On the TD by Nelson, Gay had damn good coverage and it was a perfectly thrown football. Yep, that cost us the game, not the turnovers, 1 of which was a pick 6.

Fire Arians
10-12-2011, 02:19 PM
William Gay cost you bragging rites after the Super bowl. Yep he was the only reason we lost the game. :banging: On the TD by Nelson, Gay had damn good coverage and it was a perfectly thrown football. Yep, that cost us the game, not the turnovers, 1 of which was a pick 6.

gay is actually pretty decent in coverage, he's just to small to cover the larger receivers and TE's. this is where it helps to have an outside corner like lewis who isn't a size mismatch to most receivers unless they're megatron johnson or some genetic freak along those lines. going into dime can allow troy inside which could prove effective at shutting down shorter routes

BKAnthem
10-12-2011, 05:46 PM
gay is actually pretty decent in coverage, he's just to small to cover the larger receivers and TE's. this is where it helps to have an outside corner like lewis who isn't a size mismatch to most receivers unless they're megatron johnson or some genetic freak along those lines. going into dime can allow troy inside which could prove effective at shutting down shorter routes

He was always caught out of position and seemed slow to recognize routes, and it doesn't help that he has no recovery/closing speed....he is light years better this year though...i think seeing 2 corners drafted this year also lit a fire under his ass

SunshineMan21
10-13-2011, 02:59 AM
i think bmac would make a good safety. good tackler and closes well he gives a cushion.

would have pretty good speed for free safety and ok size.

I agree with this--BMac has a FS skill set, and I think he might be more successful there.

steelfury02
10-13-2011, 08:45 AM
I know the players do enjoy the chance to make the Pro Bowl - I just wish the voting system was different and/or that there be Pro-Bowl teams for each division and rotate the match ups every year. (i.e. - AFC North Squad v. NFC North Squad and then following year make it AFC North Squad v. NFC East, etc, etc). This would give other players the chance to get Pro Bowl captain's honors as well. I'd personally get more enjoyment out of seeing Ngata and Harrison line up on defense together and see Ben dump it off to Rice. They could still have the NFL Pro Bowl Squad that was a team formed in name only, honoring the players where they could still meet in Hawaii, but just not play - they could focus a lot of other meaningful events around this day such as the Draft, etc, etc - would be a much bigger draw if the two were combined.

If we went with this set up - the players could decide much like they did Captains who gets to represent their team on the AFC North Squad with the caveat that a player can only represent a max of 8 times for 1 team. The league could decide how many get to come from each position like obviously 1 QB each and each team gets to insert 2 WRs, 1 RB, 1 TE, 2 offensive linemen and for defense - 1 Safety, 1 Corner, 2 defensive linemen, 1 OLB, 1 ILB

Sorry for brain dumping - just always thought the idea from a fan's perspective is that it would be more exciting to see guys who deserve recognition that wouldn't necessarily make what is now the Pro Bowl - i.e. - Ike would deserve to make the AFC North Squad but for some reason - never makes the Pro Bowl.