PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin hangs up on Jax media during conference call

tony hipchest
10-12-2011, 03:42 PM
4 minutes into the mandatory interview with the opponents media, tomlin became irritated with repeated questions about the 07 playoff loss. he said that was in the past, and he was sure that it was a big deal down there but is behind them. he asked if anyone had anything about this weekends game.

"Nope?"

*click*

sounds like someone's a little "salty" and ready to exact some revenge.

BIGNASTY91
10-12-2011, 03:45 PM
I love it!! Finally a little emotion from Tomlin. Maybe he can carry that over to the game this weekend!!!!!!:tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03:

tony hipchest
10-12-2011, 04:25 PM
the full transcript-

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2011/10/12/tomlin-vs-jacksonvile-media/#.TpYETNzZj_c.twitter

Tomlin vs. Jacksonville media
October 12th, 2011 Mike Tomlin’s conference call with the Jacksonville media got a little tense today and didn’t end with friendly farewells.
The last question, as seen at the end of the transcript, was asked by Tomlin, and he hung up a couple of seconds later. Here is the full transcript:

Talk about how your team has had to change things up a little bit in trying different things to win this year
“First of all, this is still a very early portion of the season and we’re trying to find ourselves like everyone else, and you’d better win games along the way. That’s simply our process. We don’t go into any season holding on to any personality traits. We build it from ground zero every year with the understanding that we’re trying to be a good football team. We want to play to our strengths and try to minimize our weaknesses. So we’re a work in progress, no doubt, and we’ll just continue to walk the journey. And like I said earlier, we’d better to find ways to win along the way.”

On Ben Roethlisberger’s play so far this season
“Ben is very consistent. He’s a competitor. He realized, of course, the gravity of last week’s game. It’s always important that you bounce back from the type of performance that we had in Houston. He’s always kind of delivered those kinds of timely performances for us.”

On your run defense against Maurice Jones-Drew
“Jones-Drew, of course, is a spectacular player. We’re going to have our hands full there trying to slow him down. We respect him for what he’s capable of and we’ve got a lot of work to do.”

What’s been the problem with the run defense?
“We’ve given up some big runs.” :chuckle:
Why?
“A myriad of reasons. There are usually reasons why people give up runs. People are not where they’re supposed to be or they’re getting physically whipped and/or both, and I think such has been the case with us. We don’t run away from that. We’re working hard on a daily basis trying to right those things.”

Is the age of your defense a concern for you?
“No.”

Why not?
“It just isn’t. We’re very comfortable where we are from a personnel standpoint not only with our starters but with our backups. We believe we’ve got good quality depth. I think they’ll be given plenty of opportunities to prove that.”

This is Jacksonville’s first game up in Pittsburgh since the 2008 playoff game. Any memories of that playoff game?
“Not really. I remember David Garrard of course on the draw on fourth down. That’s one of those plays that you’ll never forget. It was a big play.”

Did you send tape of that play to league office?
“No.”

Why not?
“Why would I?”

Wasn’t there a questionable non-call holding on that play?
“Guys, come on man. I’m not going to cry over four-year-old spilt milk. Anybody got any legitimate questions?”

It was a big game from Jacksonville’s standpoint
“Guys, that was four years ago. I understand that might have been a big game in Jacksonville four years ago but that’s old news. Many of those guys are no longer here and definitely many of the guys that were in Jacksonville are no longer there. Anybody got any questions relative to this week?”

[*click*]

Curtain_of_Steel
10-12-2011, 04:27 PM
Tomlin should've asked this.

The 07 playoff game? Is that the game where there was blatant holding penalties and none were called? Is that the one where you let a subpar qb names Garrard run through 2 holdings to win the game?

Than hang up.

Hopefully some of these stupid questions ignoted a no holds barr approach to games agasint lessor teams and we run it up for a change without backing down and letting the other team pass for 700 yards in mop up fashion. Belicheck would drill it home till the drill won't work no more.

fer522
10-12-2011, 04:32 PM
its about time he shows some emotions :wink02:

ricardisimo
10-12-2011, 04:38 PM
Tomlin should've asked this.

The 07 playoff game? Is that the game where there was blatant holding penalties and none were called? Is that the one where you let a subpar qb names Garrard run through 2 holdings to win the game?

Than hang up.

Hopefully some of these stupid questions ignoted a no holds barr approach to games agasint lessor teams and we run it up for a change without backing down and letting the other team pass for 700 yards in mop up fashion. Belicheck would drill it home till the drill won't work no more.
Yup. That's what Belichick would have done. A shame we don't have Belichick for a coach, cuz Belichick is a great head coach. We could use one of those. :rolleyes:

WickedSteel
10-12-2011, 06:11 PM
Man, things are bad in Jacksonville when the media is still gloating about a 1st round playoff win 4 years ago...

Sixburgher
10-12-2011, 06:14 PM

Who gives a flip about Belichick? And as far as "letting the other team pass for 700 yards", the Patriots are the same team that gave up 400+ against Chad Henne and are currently dead last in pass defense.

Whodis
10-12-2011, 06:16 PM
It was the Jags super bowl

mikegrimey
10-12-2011, 06:30 PM
I love it!! Finally a little emotion from Tomlin. Maybe he can carry that over to the game this weekend!!!!!!:tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03:

I fail to see how hanging up a phone is a substantial show of emotion

or understand why u want Tomlin to "show emotion" in front of u

Maybe some people on here associate verbose and dramatic behavior with caring, but Tomlin just doesn't seem to be the kind of guy to go ballistic on the sideline. I've seen him get into players before, most recently Ike Taylor during the Colts game, but he isn't a Tom Coughlin or Bill Cowher and that's okay, either way can be successful, don't get why when the STeelers lose some goons on here immediately point to Tomlin not swaggering or berating people in public as a bad trait.

harrison'samonster
10-12-2011, 06:50 PM
Tomlin should have started shouting in his best Jim Mora Sr. voice, "2007 Playoffs!!! Don't talk about...2007 Playoffs!!!!" and then hung up

Atlanta Dan
10-12-2011, 07:00 PM
When I read Tomlin hung up after being asked about the 2007 playoff loss to Jax I thought it was because a reporter might have asked why he still went for a 2 point conversion in the 4th quarter of that game from the 12 yard line after the Steelers were called for holding:chuckle:

That was a raggedy game - if I were Tomlin I would have hung up as well if I was asked about it

stb_steeler
10-12-2011, 07:45 PM
Tomlin should have started shouting in his best Jim Mora Sr. voice, "2007 Playoffs!!! Don't talk about...2007 Playoffs!!!!" and then hung up
Your right, that shit would of been funny......:rofl:
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l267/BeeBeeGamer/JimMora.jpg

steelerchad
10-12-2011, 08:36 PM
4 minutes into the mandatory interview with the opponents media, tomlin became irritated with repeated questions about the 07 playoff loss. he said that was in the past, and he was sure that it was a big deal down there but is behind them. he asked if anyone had anything about this weekends game.

"Nope?"

*click*

sounds like someone's a little "salty" and ready to exact some revenge.

Revenge is fine. Let's just hope Tomlin doesn't "unleash hell" on them.

Anyway, Tomlin's coached in 6 games that were bigger than that game since then and the Jags loss the next week in 07 was their last playoff game I believe. That may have been a top 3 win all time for the Jaguars organization.

DanRooney
10-12-2011, 09:42 PM
Tomlin must have been still salty about the Arians' Abortion that gave them the ball back in the first place :chuckle:

Fire Arians
10-12-2011, 10:04 PM
Your right, that shit would of been funny......:rofl:
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l267/BeeBeeGamer/JimMora.jpg

they are who we thought they were.. they are who we thought they were..

we played em in the 2007 postseason, who plays the 1st game of postseason like it's ****in bullshit?

THEY ARE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE! NOW IF YOU WANNA CROWN EM THEN CROWN THEIR ASS!

Gumdrop
10-13-2011, 12:24 PM
Hahaha good job Tomlin!

FanSince72
10-13-2011, 12:38 PM
Tomlin should have just said:
"Yeah, I was thinking about that 2007 playoff loss all through our 12 and 4 2008 season (when you guys went 5-11) and especially after we won the Super Bowl the following February... no doubt about it...that loss served as a real inspiration to us as a team and we sure thank you for it!."

Next question?

Third Rail
10-14-2011, 12:51 PM
What's so silly about this is that the Steelers already beat Jax in 2008 en route to a Super Bowl, and that team was a lot closer to the squad that beat them in the 2007 playoffs. I believe that game was IN Jacksonville as well.

It's bizarre that the Jax media would be so arrogant as to think that the Steelers would play worse in their own stadium to a Jax team with the worst offense in the league, currently. I know the playoff loss occurred at Heinz Field, but given how many playoff games they've won there since Ben has been the QB, I wouldn't take that 07 game as the norm.

ricardisimo
10-14-2011, 12:53 PM
What's so silly about this is that the Steelers already beat Jax in 2008 en route to a Super Bowl, and that team was a lot closer to the squad that beat them in the 2007 playoffs. I believe that game was IN Jacksonville as well.

It's bizarre that the Jax media would be so arrogant as to think that the Steelers would play worse in their own stadium to a Jax team with the worst offense in the league, currently. I know the playoff loss occurred at Heinz Field, but given how many playoff games they've won there since Ben has been the QB, I wouldn't take that 07 game as the norm.
If you've had nothing since, you would cling to that game like Linus clings to his little blue blankey.

Atlanta Dan
10-14-2011, 01:06 PM

Jax has always played the Steelers tough given that the Steelers were the measuring stick since Jax entered the league with Tom Coughlin as the coach in 1995 and played in the Steelers division - the Jax media accordingly appears to think this is some sort of rivalry

Jax beat the Steelers at Heinz twice in 2007, in Jax in 2006 (week 2 when Ben was back from his appendix being removed) and at Heinz in 2005 when Roethlisberger was hurt and Tommy Maddox threw a pick 6 in overtime to seize defeat from the jaws of victory

Third Rail
10-14-2011, 01:59 PM
Jax has always played the Steelers tough given that the Steelers were the measuring stick since Jax entered the league with Tom Coughlin as the coach in 1995 and played in the Steelers division - the Jax media accordingly appears to think this is some sort of rivalry

Jax beat the Steelers at Heinz twice in 2007, in Jax in 2006 (week 2 when Ben was back from his appendix being removed) and at Heinz in 2005 when Roethlisberger was hurt and Tommy Maddox threw a pick 6 in overtime to seize defeat from the jaws of victory

Fair enough, but man, I am so sick of the "rivalry" talk. I swear, every game on Sunday is some sort of rivalry these days. I can understand if it's a divisional opponent or someone that you routinely face off with in the post season, but Steelers/Jags is not a rivalry. Hell, I don't even think the Jags have a legitimate rivalry with anyone because of how little they've accomplished in their short and putrid existence. Good for them that they've managed to beat us a few times, but they're still kind of a joke and likely always will be because I foresee the franchise eventually being moved to LA. After that, people will forget that Jacksonville had a team (the ones that haven't already, that is).

Third Rail
10-14-2011, 02:02 PM
If you've had nothing since, you would cling to that game like Linus clings to his little blue blankey.

I read your post really fast and thought you said "LIMAS clings to his little blue blankey."

I was like WHAT?! because Limas can't cling to anything. :chuckle: