PDA

View Full Version : Mendenhall getting start?

Bayz101
10-13-2011, 02:51 PM
Isaac Redman, who made his first career start last Sunday, said he expects Mendenhall to start against Jacksonville. Mewelde Moore is likely to miss a second straight game because of a high ankle sprain, leaving Redman and Mendenhall to split carries.

fer522
10-13-2011, 02:55 PM
Steelers' Mendenhall likely to start vs. Jags :banging::banging::banging:

Rashard Mendenhall practiced Wednesday, and he is expected to return to the starting lineup at 1 p.m. Sunday when the Steelers host the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Mendenhall missed last week's game with a hamstring injury. He is only averaging 3.0 yards per carry.

His struggles and coach Mike Tomlin's vague answer when asked Tuesday about Mendenhall's role has raised questions about how the Steelers will distribute carries between Mendenhall and the emerging Isaac Redman.

"If Rashard stays patient, he'll get his time," Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said.

Redman, who made his first career start last Sunday, said he expects Mendenhall to start against Jacksonville. With Mewelde Moore likely to miss a second straight game because of a high ankle sprain, Redman will spell Mendenhall on Sunday and serve as the third-down back.

Read more: Steelers' Mendenhall likely to start vs. Jags - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_761579.html#ixzz1ah3nlcbs

Bayz101
10-13-2011, 02:58 PM
I guess it's time for him to show us something now, isn't it? I won't get too pissed about this, and i'll put my faith in his ability yet again. However, if he blows it, ONCE AGAIN, i'm done with him.

cloppbeast
10-13-2011, 03:00 PM
He's Tomlin's guy, after all.

I hope they still give Redman some carries.

Fire Arians
10-13-2011, 03:01 PM
to be fair to mendy, redman didn't do much better in his start, only averaging 3.3 yards per attempt.

but the post did say they were going to split carries. I'm sure if redman is doing much better in his attempts they'll stick with the hot hand

in any case i'd rather have a 2 headed monster attack anyway. switching em off always ensures your runners have fresh legs

PhantomJB93
10-13-2011, 03:04 PM
I'm not pissed that he's starting, I'll just be pissed if he's still dancing around in the backfield.

He used to run hard like Redman is now, he needs to do it again.

Bayz101
10-13-2011, 03:08 PM
to be fair to mendy, redman didn't do much better in his start, only averaging 3.3 yards per attempt.

but the post did say they were going to split carries. I'm sure if redman is doing much better in his attempts they'll stick with the hot hand

in any case i'd rather have a 2 headed monster attack anyway. switching em off always ensures your runners have fresh legs

I agree, we'd be much better with multiple runners. It just throws the defense off so much. I think the way things have been set up with the NFL are pretty dumb. Instead of using your speed back in the early downs, and then using the power backs as a third down back, why not reverse it?

Use Redman and Dwyer in the early downs, and put Mendenhall in on third. I don't know, it'll never happen. Mendenhall is Tomlin's boy. Jonathan Dwyer and Redman will probably get traded for a 7th round pick and then average 199 yards a game with the gaytriots.

fer522
10-13-2011, 03:15 PM
Use Redman and Dwyer in the early downs, and put Mendenhall in on third. I don't know, it'll never happen. Mendenhall is Tomlin's boy. Jonathan Dwyer and Redman will probably get traded for a 7th round pick and then average 199 yards a game with the gaytriots

:chuckle::chuckle:

Sixburgher
10-13-2011, 03:33 PM
Mendenhall is Tomlin's boy.

Is that why he got benched two years ago?

Fire Arians
10-13-2011, 03:51 PM
I agree, we'd be much better with multiple runners. It just throws the defense off so much. I think the way things have been set up with the NFL are pretty dumb. Instead of using your speed back in the early downs, and then using the power backs as a third down back, why not reverse it?

Use Redman and Dwyer in the early downs, and put Mendenhall in on third. I don't know, it'll never happen. Mendenhall is Tomlin's boy. Jonathan Dwyer and Redman will probably get traded for a 7th round pick and then average 199 yards a game with the gaytriots.

haha doubt it, i think they will be here to stay unless offered money we can't afford. i could picture a scenario where either of em could blow up on another team, sorta like how priest holmes became a star overnight after getting traded by baltimore years back

Steelerfreak58
10-13-2011, 03:51 PM
I'm not pissed that he's starting, I'll just be pissed if he's still dancing around in the backfield.

He used to run hard like Redman is now, he needs to do it again.

This

ricardisimo
10-13-2011, 04:07 PM
I guess it's time for him to show us something now, isn't it? I won't get too pissed about this, and i'll put my faith in his ability yet again. However, if he blows it, ONCE AGAIN, i'm done with him.
I'm sure he's losing sleep over that.

Bayz101
10-13-2011, 05:19 PM
I'm sure he's losing sleep over that.

Smart Ass :chuckle:.

If everyone here says "We" when referencing the Steelers, as if they play on the team, I will openly express my feelings towards players in the same way. It's ok, don't be mad :D

Bayz101
10-13-2011, 05:20 PM
This

I agree with that as well. Mendy used to run like Redman does now. We need that again.

Goldsteel86
10-13-2011, 05:22 PM
Well some things never change, once again if its "not broke, don't fix it" certainly applies here. I get it Redman only averaged 3.3 yards per carry, however it was 3.3 of positive yards. Redman was spelled and when he wasn't in, there was suitable replacement that filled in, my point is Redman and Dwyer were eager to play, they were eager to perform. Lets not forget this was against the 11th ranked rushing defense in the NFL. I would put Mendenhall on notice, he has a short leash this week, start tiptoeing around in the back field and he'll see alot of the bench and will consume alot of Gatorade. I disagree with this decision, hopefully it will be early in the game that Tomlin sees the light, especially if the offense has to revert to solely the pass.:mad:

Goldsteel86
10-13-2011, 05:27 PM
Smart Ass :chuckle:.

If everyone here says "We" when referencing the Steelers, as if they play on the team, I will openly express my feelings towards players in the same way. It's ok, don't be mad :D

Really???? Hmmmm, "we" suffer through the losses just like the team does, yes we are not a player on the team but "we" are also a valuable member of the team. The "we" you speak of fills the stadium seats, buys the jerseys, sports cards, etc... So the "we" shows pride and ownership, it shows the true aspects of a fan, so if the Steeler faithful feel the need to use the term "we" when talking about the Steelers I truly believe they have earned it!

truesteelerfan
10-13-2011, 06:07 PM
I don't care who they really list as the official "starter", if one guy struggles, try the next one...if someone is having a great day finding holes and finishing runs, leave him in there- a variety of runners coming at the defense will not only keep our legs fresh, but will tire down a d line hopefully. I don't think its as important for backs to get into the so called "rhythem" like they discuss the QB position needs- so give all of them carries

Bayz101
10-13-2011, 06:18 PM
Really???? Hmmmm, "we" suffer through the losses just like the team does, yes we are not a player on the team but "we" are also a valuable member of the team. The "we" you speak of fills the stadium seats, buys the jerseys, sports cards, etc... So the "we" shows pride and ownership, it shows the true aspects of a fan, so if the Steeler faithful feel the need to use the term "we" when talking about the Steelers I truly believe they have earned it!

I never, not once in my post, said anything negative about that. I do the same thing every Sunday, and the days leading up to the game. You can read through it if you'd like, because I NEVER said that anything was wrong with us referring to the team in that manner.

I simply responded to a users post regarding my opinions of a player, noting our closeness to the Steelers organization.

harrison'samonster
10-13-2011, 06:51 PM
I agree that Mendenhall use to hit the line harder. Let's not forget that it all begins with the blocking. And I was happy to see Redman do well last Sunday, but he got some good agressive blocking. Hopefully regardless of who is running, we will see that same kind of play from the offensive line.

ricardisimo
10-13-2011, 07:14 PM
I'm actually a little peeved that the running numbers weren't higher. Not the yards per carry, necessarily, but the number of carries. It's disturbing to me that these Steelers can be up by 18 points or so halfway through the 3rd, and that they're still predominantly tossing it. Especially given Ben's recent troubles holding onto the ball and throwing it to the wrong team. It wasn't quite 2:1 passing like in other games, but it wasn't that far off either.

harrison'samonster
10-13-2011, 07:17 PM
I wonder if they keep throwing with a lead to keep Ben happy. He never seemed to like it when Cowher use to run the ball down opponents throats. I miss those games

shaner82
10-13-2011, 08:18 PM
I'm actually a little peeved that the running numbers weren't higher. Not the yards per carry, necessarily, but the number of carries. It's disturbing to me that these Steelers can be up by 18 points or so halfway through the 3rd, and that they're still predominantly tossing it. Especially given Ben's recent troubles holding onto the ball and throwing it to the wrong team. It wasn't quite 2:1 passing like in other games, but it wasn't that far off either.

Agreed. I read a lot of praise for BA after the last game, but I still wasn't happy at all with the playcalling. We were up by a lot, yet we kept going with an empty back field time and time again. I remember at one point we passed about 10 times in a row, and that was with a big lead.

BA has a crush on Big Ben and seems to call plays to keep him happy, rather than call plays to ensure we win the game. If a player isn't happy with a win because he didn't get the personal stats he wanted, then he needs to be cut or traded, and Big Ben is no exception to that rule.

ggoldman
10-13-2011, 09:25 PM
Agreed. I read a lot of praise for BA after the last game, but I still wasn't happy at all with the playcalling. We were up by a lot, yet we kept going with an empty back field time and time again. I remember at one point we passed about 10 times in a row, and that was with a big lead.

BA has a crush on Big Ben and seems to call plays to keep him happy, rather than call plays to ensure we win the game. If a player isn't happy with a win because he didn't get the personal stats he wanted, then he needs to be cut or traded, and Big Ben is no exception to that rule.

If Ben started to throw picks, or was getting beat up in that Titans game, then BA would've called more runs. But, the O was just taking what the D gave em, and Ben had a clean pocket on nearly every play.

ricardisimo
10-13-2011, 10:10 PM
If Ben started to throw picks, or was getting beat up in that Titans game, then BA would've called more runs. But, the O was just taking what the D gave em, and Ben had a clean pocket on nearly every play.
That's fine, to a point. It only takes one play to lose your franchise QB for the season, especially against a losing team that is feeling disrespected. Not smart on Bruce's part. Of course, he doesn't gameplan based on personnel, so it's no big deal to him if Dixon is the starter the rest of the way...

cloppbeast
10-14-2011, 07:27 AM

Like somebody just said, it only takes one play to ruin a QB's season. Just ask Bernard Pollard or Kimo Von Oelhoffen. Then consider Ben has taken two similar hits this season.

steelfury02
10-14-2011, 08:44 AM
I find coach speak quite hilarious - being that Arians speaks from both ends (and Tomlin to a degree)

i.e. - "Mendy is the man" comment when I'm pretty sure I can count numerous times the coaching staff as a whole, including Arians said "There are no #1s, #2s, #3s - everyone is a part of the roster, the usual suspects will get the nod on gameday" or my favorite "We have a roster filled with starters in waiting . . . " and "If a guy is given an opportunity and takes advantage of that we'll see where we go from there . . " leading up to "Not broke - don't fix"

Well - if it were me and Mendy comes back and does more of that dancing around BS and then Redman or even Dwyer comes in and plows ahead for positive yardage (and I don't care if it is even just 2-3 yards a gain - they aren't getting stuffed 3 yards in the backfield due to thinking way too much) he would be on a real short leash in the ol' doghouse.

And besides - I think the Steelers could use some more unconventional approaches on the offense - because the empty backfield where I'm just waiting for a season ender to Ben. The Panthers used the freakin' option to some success over the past couple of games so why not do running back by committee? We have 4 very good guys with different skills sets. Good lord.

55BaileyFan
10-14-2011, 09:09 AM
http://steelerfreakmov.blogspot.com/2011/10/rb-controversy-begins.html

Controversy?

cloppbeast
10-14-2011, 09:20 AM
Controversy?

Does anybody else think we should start C.Batch?

Third Rail
10-14-2011, 02:08 PM
I like the "RB by committee" approach, but if they're going to start Mendy, than fine... however, if he still puts in a weak performance, than I hope they'll be smart enough to yank him and work in Redman and Dwyer. No more 3 & Outs. Please. Whenever Mendy is running the ball, it always seems like we start off with one. Or several.

ricardisimo
10-14-2011, 03:18 PM
I like the "RB by committee" approach, but if they're going to start Mendy, than fine... however, if he still puts in a weak performance, than I hope they'll be smart enough to yank him and work in Redman and Dwyer. No more 3 & Outs. Please. Whenever Mendy is running the ball, it always seems like we start off with one. Or several.
The playcalling has been pretty much two-to-one passing over rushing this entire season so far, so when there are three-&-outs, it's kind of strange to put that on the RB, no matter who it is.

Third Rail
10-14-2011, 03:51 PM
The playcalling has been pretty much two-to-one passing over rushing this entire season so far, so when there are three-&-outs, it's kind of strange to put that on the RB, no matter who it is.

Don't worry, I never forget that we must blame Ben for everything that goes wrong on offense AND defense.

Busman
10-14-2011, 03:53 PM
I was a staunch supporter of Mendy and last year he had a great year but this year he shows too much hesitancy . As others have described its as though he was with Hines on DWTS

Sure the Oline is not providing many gaps for him but he never has nor will he hit the hole with the kind of force displayed by Redman. Even Dwyer does not excite me that much. Against the Titans he found a huge gaping hole and ran for some serious yardage but can he do it consistently. Redman is consistent week in and week out. His after contact is what 5th in the league? Pretty amazing. You can just see the strength and determination on his carries. He is no JB but he at least runs north and south.

I dont give up on our personnel easily and being a fan for over 30 years through the good and bad I have learned to trust our FO . We pretty much have a competitive team year in and year out even when Tommy Gun was around.

Go Steelers. Pimply Dan

Bman

stb_steeler
10-15-2011, 04:01 PM
That's fine, to a point. It only takes one play to lose your franchise QB for the season, especially against a losing team that is feeling disrespected. Not smart on Bruce's part. Of course, he doesn't gameplan based on personnel, so it's no big deal to him if Dixon is the starter the rest of the way...

yeah but Arians thinks Ben is SuperMan....so he doesnt expect nothing to happen to Ben!

ricardisimo
10-15-2011, 04:49 PM
Don't worry, I never forget that we must blame Ben for everything that goes wrong on offense AND defense.
Huh? Who was blaming Ben?

harrison'samonster
10-15-2011, 05:13 PM
Huh? Who was blaming Ben?

that must be my fault. I think I brought him up. I should have started out saying: "Now I love Ben Roethlisberger and think nothing but the best of him..."

Seriously though, I do think he's a great QB, I'm just concerned that as a team we are getting away from a physically dominating style on offense and trying to conform to more of a finesse passing team. Our win-loss record always seems to suffer when we do try to change.

Atlanta Dan
10-15-2011, 06:53 PM
I like the "RB by committee" approach, but if they're going to start Mendy, than fine... however, if he still puts in a weak performance, than I hope they'll be smart enough to yank him and work in Redman and Dwyer

Adam Schefter at ESPN thinks you will get your wish as Tomlin runs the wheels off another RB

Mendenhall is coming off a season in which he led the NFL with 324 carries, then had 61 more in the postseason. Any running back with more 370 carries in a season in recent history -- from Larry Johnson to Jamal Anderson to James Wilder to Eric Dickerson to Eddie George to Gerald Riggs to Ricky Williams to Terrell Davis to Barry Foster -- has suffered a noticeable drop-off the next season.

Now Mendenhall is battling the same fate. Mendenhall is nursing a hamstring injury, but in his absence Dwyer and Redman have proved that Pittsburgh might have two hammers capable of carrying the football and this team into the winter. The Steelers will need them.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/10spot-11week6/nfl-five-sensible-trades-probably-made

truesteelerfan
10-16-2011, 01:34 PM
based on his first half stats...i think it looks like a good move. Now in 2nd half, use Dwyer and Redman to pound them and run the clock.

ricardisimo
10-16-2011, 01:36 PM
based on his first half stats...i think it looks like a good move. Now in 2nd half, use Dwyer and Redman to pound them and run the clock.
Pound them and run the clock? You haven't been paying very close attention these past four years, have you?