PDA

View Full Version : pocono 500- who to watch/ who will win

tony hipchest
06-10-2006, 12:49 PM
time for a boring, follow the leader race. it seems crazy to not count jimmy johnson, matt kenseth, and tony stewart as the favorites to win. but this race will come down to track position. if youre not out front you wont likely be able to turn the quickest laps. denny hamlin has the pole. he should have a good run. kurt bush starts on the front row. he won here last year with rusty wallace as a runner up. and brian vickers looked to dominate but faded. with the adversity his team is facing (he asked hendrick for permission to find a new team) he could finally crack through. this should be the week for fantasy "b" drivers. all rcr teams should do well. kahne should have a dominant run.

1. b. vickers
2. k. kahne
3. j. burton
4. kurt bush
5. t. stewart
6. m. martin

Fire Haley
06-10-2006, 01:47 PM
Not Matt's best track by a longshot...

Happy Hour speeds look good for a brand spankin' new car...

13th - #17 Matt Kenseth Ford DEWALT 164.995 54.547 -0.853
10th best average...break that baby in slowly...we just need to get out of here alive.

http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/b58647e1-066f-4e41-94b4-4404e294e7cb.jpg

tony hipchest
06-10-2006, 03:00 PM
give us your top 5 killer. im thinking jj, kenseth, both get a top 10 and tony suprises and makes his way up there too. barring a wreck or engine failure for any of the 3.

Fire Haley
06-10-2006, 03:40 PM
1. Jeff Burton
2. Carl Edwards
3. Mark Martin
4. Jeff Gordon (for Suit)
5. Kyle Busch

DIESELMAN
06-10-2006, 08:53 PM
1. Matt Kenseth
2. Mark Martin
3. Jimmie Johnson
4. Denny Hamlin
5. Brian Vickers

Jimmy James
06-11-2006, 01:08 AM
Jeff Burton
Kasey Kahne
Dale Earnhardt Junior
Mark Martin
Jeff Gordon

Pocono is a track that rewards experience. I don't expect any rookie to fare well.

Fire Haley
06-11-2006, 10:06 AM
Pocono is a track that rewards experience. I don't expect any rookie to fare well.

So that's why cousin Carl won last year?...his first time on the track as a rookie?

Nah - it's a shit luck track - just like Talladega...just without the excitement of The Big One.
(Denny Hamlin has a good shot too...I forgot about him.)

daleemnm
06-11-2006, 11:22 AM
1. Mark Martin
2. Carl Edwards
3. Dale Jr
4. Jimmie Johnson
5. Jeff Burton

BB2W
06-11-2006, 11:30 AM
1. Matt Kenseth
2. Kasey Kahne
3. Jeff Burton

Jimmy James
06-11-2006, 02:12 PM
So that's why cousin Carl won last year?...his first time on the track as a rookie?

Nah - it's a shit luck track - just like Talladega...just without the excitement of The Big One.
(Denny Hamlin has a good shot too...I forgot about him.)

Ah, but Carl wasn't a rookie last year. It may have been his first time on track, but he made too many starts the year prior to be considered for rookie of the year.

Tell me you expect Hamlin, Yeley, Bowyer, or any of the rest of *this* crop of rookies to do well today.

BB2W
06-11-2006, 05:01 PM
Tough wreck for Gordon... he looks OK, but he will get bumped from the top ten in points.

Jimmy James
06-11-2006, 05:31 PM
When I'm wrong, I say I wrong.

I'm done underestimating Denny Hamlin. It's not that I dislike him -- he's from just south of the James River, no more than a half hour from where I'm typing this. A rookie just isn't supposed to be able to do this stuff, but it's clear Hamlin is no ordinary rookie.

ETA: I do have to give a shout to Jeff Burton for the 9th place finish after the speeding penalty. He has more top 10s than everybody except Johnson, Kenseth, and Kahne. Yes -- Jeff Burton has finished in the top 10 more than the likes of Stewart, Junior, and even Martin have.

Fire Haley
06-11-2006, 05:32 PM
GREAT JOB DENNY!!!

Woooohooo another top 5 for Matt!!! Way to go!

On to Michigan!

BB2W
06-11-2006, 05:50 PM
Yeah, props to Denny... very impressive weekend for a rookie. :thmbup:

Fire Haley
06-11-2006, 05:54 PM
I couldn't believe how hard Gordon hit that wall...without the SAFER barriers he would have been messed up. That fountain of mud he kicked up was cooooooool.

A good race - minimum of JimmyJimmyJimmyJimmyJimmy comments to piss me off.
They were starting to get on my nerves about Junebug...but he faded nicely.

Good run by Tony.

Now let's tear it up at Michigan!

tony hipchest
06-11-2006, 06:10 PM
time for a boring, follow the leader race. it seems crazy to not count jimmy johnson, matt kenseth, and tony stewart as the favorites to win. all 3 posted top 10 finishes but this race will come down to track position. if youre not out front you wont likely be able to turn the quickest laps. denny hamlin has the pole. he should have a good run. he won kurt bush starts on the front row. he won here last year with rusty wallace as a runner up. he finished 2nd and brian vickers looked to dominate but faded. nice 4th place finish with the adversity his team is facing (he asked hendrick for permission to find a new team) he could finally crack through. this should be the week for fantasy "b" drivers. hamlin, vickers all rcr teams should do well. burton and harvick have got to be disappointed with a 9th and 13th place finish kahne should have a dominant run. not dominant buy any means, but still good.

1. b. vickers 4th
2. k. kahne 7th
3. j. burton 9th
4. kurt bush 2nd
5. t. stewart 3rd
6. m. martin 17th

my top 5 all finished in the top 10. good day. stewart made a hell of a run. and hamlin is making bobby lABONte roll over in his "Im ready to retire" grave. great saves by riggs, hamlin, biffle, especially when it looked like their days were through.

i was wrong about this being a boring race, even though it was alot of the same old follow the leader crap. great race with lots of pit strategies being played out. plenty of contenders fell by the wayside and fought their way back.

nice to see gordon hop out of hids car and inspect the brakes. 5 years ago we would be wondering if hed be racing next weekend. that being said he may wanna consider brian vickers route. it must suck to have the credentials he has and play 3rd fiddle to johnson and bush. its wierd to say earnhardt jr. is an old man in this sport. if he dont do it soon, he never will.

and as many people who gave their predictions this week im suprised noone accurately predicted the winner or any top 5 finishing spot. kudos to deiselman and myself for being the only ones to pick hamlin and stewart in their top 5. thats gibbs power right there.

SteelerzGirl
06-11-2006, 09:13 PM
Tough wreck for Gordon... he looks OK, but he will get bumped from the top ten in points.

I'm really glad Jeff is going to be okay. He really slammed into the wall hard and I was hoping he wasn't seriously injured. He said he had a headache. Did they say if he may have had a mild concussion?

CowherLover
06-11-2006, 11:12 PM
They said they were going to monitor him to make sure he's alright. Scary slam, that was a harder hit in a more sensitive area with Jeff today than what took Dale from us prematurely. Why did he have to be so stubborn?????!!!!! Anyway, this has to be the most interesting Pocono in awhile at least, alot of guys that finished upfront had some stupid sh*t happen and they still managed to finish in the top 10. Whoever made that remark about Junior...... Don't be a hater, be happy that he's happy with the spots he's finishing now because once the field is decided for the chase, it's gonna be ON LIKE DONKEY KONG< BROTHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait, and next year I will definitely be on the Fantasy Nascar, ya all are lucky my dsl took a shit, lol!!!!!!!

blackvelvet
06-12-2006, 08:00 AM
[QUOTE=CowherLover]They said they were going to monitor him to make sure he's alright. Scary slam, that was a harder hit in a more sensitive area with Jeff today than what took Dale from us prematurely. Why did he have to be so stubborn?????!!!!!QUOTE]

Although, you know, if Earnhardt Sr. didn't die, NASCAR wouldn't be as strict with safety, which definatley would have caused Gordon to die yesterday, and to have died ten times worse than Earnhardt (if that last sentence makes sense)

Suitanim
06-12-2006, 08:09 AM
Gordon will be fine...he even had the wherewithall to credit the safer barriers right after the wreck.

My drivers finished 7,8,9,10, which was odd...but I'll take it. It also precludes me, for the second week in a row, from being a candidate for the "Assmove Trophy".