PDA

View Full Version : ESPN - Has the Steel Curtain Gone Soft?

Atlanta Dan
10-15-2011, 07:32 AM
Interesting read on ESPN.com and the lack of turnovers from the D so far - excerpts and link below

Something very strange is going on in Pittsburgh. The perennially superb Steelers defense is off to another great season, ranking first in passing yards allowed per attempt and fourth in points allowed, with the Steel Curtain giving up fewer than 18 points per contest. That's de rigueur by now. Something is missing, though, that doesn't make much sense. For some reason, the great Pittsburgh Steelers defense has stopped forcing turnovers.

Through five games, the Steelers have just two takeaways. That is the second-lowest total for any team through its first five games since 1990,...

While we expect the Steelers to force turnovers more frequently over the final 11 games of the year, let's play devil's advocate and pretend it doesn't happen. Obviously, takeaways are an essential component of a defense's success, but are there teams over the past 20 years that have played great defense without creating turnovers?

As you might suspect, while they exist, those defenses are few and far between. Only four teams since 1990 have ranked in both the top five in (fewest) points allowed and bottom five in turnovers forced over a full season, and nobody's done it since the 2003 Bills. Better than 75 percent of the teams who finished in the top five in points allowed over that time frame did so with an above-average turnover rate. If the Steelers don't start forcing turnovers soon, it's going to be extremely difficult for them to maintain their elite level of performance on defense....

What we're trying to figure out is whether a team's takeaway total during its first five games does a good job of predicting the same team's takeaways during the final 11 games.

The answer is a very swift no...

So, good news, Steelers fans: Polamalu & Co. should start creating takeaways sometime soon.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7101375/has-steel-curtain-gone-soft

fer522
10-15-2011, 08:23 AM
i think we're gona end up with about 15 T/O's
Troy has been getting to the ball just a bit late
but we know that's gonna change and Qb
sacks and fumbles will happen as well
i expect Harrison to come back healthier (back)
and meaner so Flacco watch out:kick:

DanRooney
10-15-2011, 09:15 AM
I'm hoping all of this dime we're playing pays off against the Patriots. It would be nice if those 'turnovers in bunches' happened either in that week or against the Ravens.

truesteelerfan
10-15-2011, 11:29 AM
I think interceptions will happen, the odds are in our favor...but I when we do the gang tackling I love- I do wish I saw more stripping of the ball- once a guy's got his hands on a ball carrier, the next one should be pulling on that ball- get it out of there

ricardisimo
10-15-2011, 05:25 PM
I think interceptions will happen, the odds are in our favor...but I when we do the gang tackling I love- I do wish I saw more stripping of the ball- once a guy's got his hands on a ball carrier, the next one should be pulling on that ball- get it out of there
Interceptions haven't really been been our strong suit since Rod Woodson was a Steeler. I don't see that changing this year. The lack of forced fumbles is a function of not getting guys in the other team's backfield quickly enough. That's on Woodley and Harrison, mostly.

DanRooney
10-15-2011, 06:09 PM
That's on Woodley, mostly

Fixed :wink02:

harrison'samonster
10-15-2011, 06:11 PM
Fixed :wink02:

It definitely seems that way!

55BaileyFan
10-15-2011, 07:02 PM
I don't like them referring to our D as the Steel Curtain...that name was created for the defense in the 70's. and obviously the name has stuck but the defense has went through name changes...there was Blitzburgh in the early 90's and the 2000's brought the "Nasty D"

So, it is unfair to say that the Steel Curtain has gone soft because that name really refers to the 70s guys.

MasterOfPuppets
10-15-2011, 07:42 PM
it's not the "creating" or lack there of , of turnovers thats killing this team. it's THEIR turnovers thats killing them.
they should be examining the turnover ratio rather than the turnovers caused.

thebus36idf
10-15-2011, 08:14 PM
I think things are looking pretty good. We looked leaps and bounds better, hopefully we can carry this over into the next two weeks against The Jags (first year I'll miss going to that matchup in 10 years),and arizona. I know the Jags don't look good, but their D looks pretty solid, and they always play us well, so it will give us a confidence boost if we can dominate them. hopefully we'll do the same to arizona and ride a three game win streak into N.E. with some fire.

JPPT1974
10-15-2011, 08:40 PM
Steelers and the Pats, as that is a game to always look forward to. Well hopefully the Steel Curtain will break the "soft" thing and will go back to playing smash mouth football. As a lot of teams have a soft spell, only to break it!

Atlanta Dan
10-15-2011, 09:27 PM
Steelers and the Pats, as that is a game to always look forward to.

If you are a Steelers fan and always look forward to the Pats game/beatdown you must also look forward to getting a root canal and preparing your tax returns:chuckle: