PDA

View Full Version : Week 6 Postgame thread/Game Ball

SteelCityMom
10-16-2011, 03:56 PM
Crap. I need a drink now. Happy for the win of course, but that would have been a loss against almost any other team. Game ball goes to Woodley or Keisel. Both had very good games defensively.

Those are my basic thoughts right now lol. Share your postgame thoughts/analysis here!

MACH1
10-16-2011, 03:58 PM
We won despite arians genius.

GMU Steeler
10-16-2011, 04:00 PM
Woodley and Keisel. glad we won but we gotta put teams away offensively. 1st half was great offensively? 2nd half was equally horrible.

stb_steeler
10-16-2011, 04:01 PM
PATHETIC......second half breakdown is back again!

davidtrout
10-16-2011, 04:01 PM
Bad second half, but a win just the same. Gameball could go to a number of players, Woodley had his name called the most, but I'm going to go with Ryan Clark.

I know it will be lost on a lot of people because he doesn't make the big plays, but he just played one of the best games I've ever seen him play.

Mots
10-16-2011, 04:02 PM
Ugh, ugliest win I saw so far...

I would give the gameball to either Troy Polamalu or Brett Keisel, who made some nice plays today.

Overall the Defense stept up today and saved the win. It would never have been that close, If not for the stupid roughing the kicker penalty.
I have the feeling, that when the defense has to come back after they just left the field, it almost always turns momentum.

lipps83
10-16-2011, 04:03 PM
I am embarrassed by this team despite the 4-2 record. Two of those wins were (barely) had against two of the leagues worst teams.

This is not Steelers football.

BritishSteel
10-16-2011, 04:07 PM
Brett or Clark for gameball - Woodley would have got it but for the pushing and shoving stuff. Brett was huge, Clark was a workhorse, doing the thankless stuff on D all afternoon, and with a bad shoulder.

We'd have lost that against most teams, and offensively we stunk the place out 2nd half.

Steeler4life1972
10-16-2011, 04:07 PM
We need to find out polamalus situation..I think its a concussion but as much as i love polamalu his playing style is huge for us but is becoming a liability for his health that you cant count on him for a full season...its frustrating but I still blame this on arians and his play calling...quit trying to go deep when you have a comfortable lead....mix shorter routes in there!!!

GMU Steeler
10-16-2011, 04:08 PM
We need to find out polamalus situation..I think its a concussion but as much as i love polamalu his playing style is huge for us but is becoming a liability for his health that you cant count on him for a full season...its frustrating but I still blame this on arians and his play calling...quit trying to go deep when you have a comfortable lead....mix shorter routes in there!!!

Tomlin said concussion like situation just now.

Steeler4life1972
10-16-2011, 04:12 PM
and yes no turnovers for us...we have to get turnovers to be successful against good teams!!!

fer522
10-16-2011, 04:14 PM
Tomlin said concussion like situation just now.

does he have to sit out a game?
that would kill us

GMU Steeler
10-16-2011, 04:16 PM
does he have to sit out a game?
that would kill us

He didn't say. I expect us to know by Tuesday tho.

steelcityboyz
10-16-2011, 04:18 PM
why all the homerun balls? how about controlling the ball and getting a long drive for a score. Ariens will lose more games for this team than he wins, this season.

GMU Steeler
10-16-2011, 04:25 PM
I was ok with the home run balls the first couple times because going for the kill is good but it wasn't working. Arians should have kept the offense balanced. It was an efficient strategy the first half. Defense looked good other than the TD drive which wasn't 100% their fault since Mundy screwed up on the punt. Overall our record is pretty much where I expected us to be. Hoping the Texans beat the Ravens today, that would be nice.

Kanata-Steeler
10-16-2011, 04:28 PM
BALL GOES to "D" !, ummm, like it has almost EVERY GAME. :)

Horrible game, thanks to the 2nd half "O",
but hey, not every game can be exciting, competetive ,...,
it's an ugly win and I'll take it.
:)
(but the Lions/49ers game right now,, on the other hand, is really tight -Lol)

SH-Rock
10-16-2011, 04:36 PM
Game Ball to either Woodley or Polamalu.

stb_steeler
10-16-2011, 04:37 PM
I was ok with the home run balls the first couple times because going for the kill is good but it wasn't working. Arians should have kept the offense balanced. It was an efficient strategy the first half. Defense looked good other than the TD drive which wasn't 100% their fault since Mundy screwed up on the punt. Overall our record is pretty much where I expected us to be. Hoping the Texans beat the Ravens today, that would be nice.

thats the arians way!!!. last weeks game was perfectly balanced, not that im givin airhead credit for it...lol

DevinX43
10-16-2011, 04:41 PM
What about Mendy. I think he deserves some recognition

GMU Steeler
10-16-2011, 04:41 PM
thats the arians way!!!. last weeks game was perfectly balanced, not that im givin airhead credit for it...lol

He's inconsistent is his problem. The players themselves have to execute though so I can't blame him for all of the failings.

tony hipchest
10-16-2011, 04:45 PM
i give the gameball to isaac redman. he ran the ball with authority. still too much dancing and indecisiveness from mendenhall behind the line....

:laughing:

(i sure hope legursky doesnt have an achilles) how bout the steelers running to jon scotts side? too bad he should be off this team along with mendenhall. :laughing:

Rick5895
10-16-2011, 04:47 PM
My game ball goes to Keisel or Polamalu, They were both studs today. my season MVP will go to who ever the hell fires Arians. I am sick of this crap from our O, Way too much talent on this O to be this bad. Hit our speedy recievers on slants and and watch them run. Same result as the 40-50 yard bomb. And wahtever happened to keep running it until they stop it, the guy is a mess!

GMU Steeler
10-16-2011, 04:48 PM
What about Mendy. I think he deserves some recognition

Had a good bounce back game. Happy with Mendy today and will give him his due but I think Keisel/Woodley are more deserving since they were getting pressure on Gabbart all day. Mendy was solid but had some struggles.

55BaileyFan
10-16-2011, 04:56 PM
http://steelerfreakmov.blogspot.com/2011/10/steelers-nip-jags.html

Where was the offense in the second half? I was impressed by the line until the fourth quarter, but I think those three sacks are on Ben for holding the ball too long.

The rush defense needs more work as well...but I am optimistic

steelfury02
10-16-2011, 05:14 PM
Bury the game ball. Next time our team takes Heinz will be against Patriots and I hope Tomlin reminds them of a certain stench that has made its way back yet again. Not to mention we are going to have a hard time @ Arizona. We should by no means feel comfortable.

caplovestroyp43
10-16-2011, 05:20 PM
Mendy riding the pine was a good thing. That 68 yard run was great! Wished I could have seen it although Tunch, Bill and Craig make it so very exciting listening to them.

What to do, what to do next week...watch it or listen to it? Probably listen to it. I don't watch during regular season much. Playoffs I watch every one.

:tt02::tt02:

On to Arizona to cage the birdies!! Although I have nothing seriously against this team. They sure helped make the Super Bowl against them one hell of a thrilling game. Hopefully their fan base is as respectful as the Packers were. :hatsoff:

tanda10506
10-16-2011, 05:43 PM
Mendy seems to respond to benching's well. He did play good, the line wasn't run blocking too well in the second half. Game ball goes to Keisel or Woodley. Keisel was involved on almost every play and Woodley was an animal again. Overall I'm happy with the defense, the defense was dominant 2 games in a row at least. I think the play calling in the second half was a difference since we we were doing so well with the short passes early, but the long bombs were working except for Ben. The receivers were open deep often and the line gave Ben enough time. Sad to say but I've never seen a QB ever miss that many opportunities. That's the ultimate reason, the play calling could have been better, but we could have scored 35+ if Ben would have completed the open long bombs. The good news is that everybody on here including myself seemed to be worried about 2 things the most after the first 4 games, the O line and the run stopping. Both are going well for us now and IMO the defense played great 2 games in a row. For the most part every body played well except for Ben in the second half and the O line provided Ben with plenty of time but they didn't do well run blocking in the second half. Ben reels in 2 or 3 of those passes and the game is 35+ to most likely 10. If the defense plays as well as these last two games and the running games goes well like the last two games, then it's just up to Arians and Ben. If Arians had better play calling or Ben made those throws it's a blow out. If they miss them all like they did, against a great team like the Ratbirds or Pats, they would have blown us out in the second half.

DanRooney
10-16-2011, 05:46 PM
J. Scott is playing okay at RT but I'm not going to look too far into it because the Jags are ranked 31st in getting to the QB. If he keeps it up good for him. But I feel that Gilbert should get the nod when healthy. Scott is a backup tackle on all teams.

GMU Steeler
10-16-2011, 05:52 PM
J. Scott is playing okay at RT but I'm not going to look too far into it because the Jags are ranked 31st in getting to the QB. If he keeps it up good for him. But I feel that Gilbert should get the nod when healthy. Scott is a backup tackle on all teams.

He probably will if he's healthy. I think there's a lot of upside to Gilbert. Doesn't hurt that him and Pouncey were already good friends we drafted him. Scott is a depth body. Gilbert's the future.

DoctorCAD
10-16-2011, 05:53 PM
Game ball goes to Gabbert.

Any other NFL QB would have beaten the Steelers today.

Good thing he sucks.

Steel_Bus_24
10-16-2011, 05:53 PM
well they're not ready to compete with the big boys yet...........we just keep having these lapses where it looks like we don't give a F****

What was up with Ike today, he got toasted repeatedly, thankfully Gabbert couldn't get it to the WRs

Run D still showing big problems, maybe that gets better with Hampton coming back,

Ben and the O line hit the snooze button for the entire second half......you can't do that when you play the elite of the NFL....they'll be disgustingly embarrassed again by the Pats and Ravens if these jokers don't learn how to keep it going for an entire game

Im not liking the look of this Cards game coming up especially if Troy needs a break

tanda10506
10-16-2011, 06:06 PM
well they're not ready to compete with the big boys yet...........we just keep having these lapses where it looks like we don't give a F****

We have these lapses all years though, even SB years, not saying that it's ok to do or that this year is the same as previous, but it's not new.

Run D still showing big problems, maybe that gets better with Hampton coming back,

I disagree, they did give up 100 yards but they did that while holding the QB to 100 yards while the Jags were running it 55% of the time. I didn't see a time where they really got hurt by the run game.

Ben and the O line hit the snooze button for the entire second half......you can't do that when you play the elite of the NFL....they'll be disgustingly embarrassed again by the Pats and Ravens if these jokers don't learn how to keep it going for an entire game

I agree, this actually could have been a blow out if Ben completed a few of those bombs he missed. Problem is against a team like the Ravens, you won't get those opportunities and that game plan would crash and burn. Ben has to complete those, the game would have looked totally different, but they wouldn't have been there against a great team. I will say though, I think Arians thought it was over in the first half. Last game and the first half he called decent, I know he's an idiot but I don't think he would have just changed it for no reason.

btaylor179
10-16-2011, 06:19 PM
we always play down to our competition

steelfury02
10-16-2011, 06:33 PM
The long bomb calls were far too often. You don't score 17 and then go for the dagger. You keep using what has worked until they prove they can stop it. That is where Arians is mind boggling. He switches the approach way too prematurely. Bottom line - keep going with what has worked until you reach the tipping point (in my mind - up by 3 touchdowns) If it was 31-10, then you go for the home run. If it doesn't connect on the first try - you don't go back to it unless your defense holds it to same score and you are onto your next series.

The second half snooze at home against a 1-4 team is absolutely inexcusable. I'll take the win, but don't think for one second that we won't come out flat out west @Ariz.

I'm just hoping the players realize enough that they better get up and get up by a lot and quick in enemy territory. That crowd and team will get up big time for this one and we need an impressive road victory.

All this said. I am thinkin that based on Pats lack of defense and what I've seen against Cowboys today seems like at the very least we can make it a close one or possibly win. Baltimore doesn't look all that great against Houston thus far. We just need to play up to our potential on offense and for god's sake - keep the turnovers to a minimum.

thebus36idf
10-16-2011, 06:36 PM
MACH1;953844]We won despite arians genius.
Third and short running the ball pretty well HMMMMMM???? Oh I know let's go empty backfield, shotgun it always works. Not!:noidea:

the Jags dropped two easy interceptions. Thank you very much Rasheen Mathis & Co.:thumbsup:

I'm definitly going with keisel They are a entirely different D with him in there. Farrior eased my concerns about his age today as well , and Polomalu well he's frigggen awsome what can I say. Keisel on the line, and Polomalu in the secondary you can't beat it.

MACH1
10-16-2011, 06:39 PM
Third and short running the ball pretty well HMMMMMM???? Oh I know let's go empty backfield, shotgun it always works. Not!:noidea:

the Jags dropped two easy interceptions. Thank you very much Rasheen Mathis & Co.:thumbsup:

:doh:

:coffee:

thebus36idf
10-16-2011, 06:49 PM
[Run D still showing big problems, maybe that gets better with Hampton coming back,Jones- Drew is no slouch I think we handled him pretty well, and with hampton it omly gets better. I HOPE

steelfury02
10-16-2011, 06:53 PM
Well Baltimore is gonna beat Houston now so there goes that tiebreaker. And news flash - we will have our hands full with both Bengals games and the San Francisco game. We have a stretch of 4 very tough games before the bye. And post-bye ain't lookin so easy now does it?

Whodis
10-16-2011, 08:53 PM
- The offensive line is not that bad and take way too much of the blame for the offensive problems. I will second the fact they went after too many home runs.

- Mendenhall looked above average (much better then I thought he would). IMO he still didn't hit the hole as Redman did

- Mike Wallace is awesome! Like no receiver I ever saw (with the steelers). To watch every snap you realize he could get the ball almost every down.

- Ben looked like shit.. Too many points left on field, he still can't snap the ball before 2 seconds and that was the sack after the delay of game penalty.

- Farrior can't cover a TE

- Keisel looks as good as I can remember. he's all over the field and just seems full of energy throughout the game.

- I wish I would have had another hour to tailgate!!

ZoneBlitzer
10-16-2011, 09:02 PM
Ben needs to be pushed. This is his 8th year. I don't imagine him having a long career with his decision making and the O coordinator in house. It's time to start thinking about his replacement.

TRH
10-16-2011, 09:21 PM
[

- Mike Wallace is awesome! Like no receiver I ever saw (with the steelers). To watch every snap you realize he could get the ball almost every down.

You got that right. Just wait until HIS contract is up. He's gonna take HUUUUUUUGE dollars to sign again and other teams will throw ridiculous amounts his way.

Atlanta Dan
10-16-2011, 09:36 PM
Ben needs to be pushed. This is his 8th year. I don't imagine him having a long career with his decision making and the O coordinator in house. It's time to start thinking about his replacement.

It is not time to be thinking about a replacement but I agree a lot of this is on Ben

He was awful in both the Baltimore game and today after the first quarter - the OL did not miss those multiple open receivers today and Ben needs to tell Tomlin what works (assuming Arians is not just calling what #7 wants)

This win to me is worse than the Houston loss with regard to where this team ends up this year

ricardisimo
10-16-2011, 09:47 PM
Ben got super sloppy and Rashard could almost do no wrong. Therefore, obviously, you take Rashard out of the game and you have Ben throw long as often as possible. It's simple. I don't know why everyone doesn't see the genius in it.

MasterOfPuppets
10-16-2011, 11:00 PM
We won despite arians genius.
he out smartyed everybody by not using that successful high percentage short passing game from last week. :tap:

Fire Arians
10-16-2011, 11:18 PM
Mendinghall :P

StainlessStill
10-16-2011, 11:55 PM
Woodley. Did anybody see him completely destroying and wreaking havoc anywhere he decided to be? That's 2 weeks in a row. Let's hope he continues his wrath.

The D is better with Diesel in the lineup as well. Good to see Kiesel in top form.

StainlessStill
10-16-2011, 11:57 PM
[

You got that right. Just wait until HIS contract is up. He's gonna take HUUUUUUUGE dollars to sign again and other teams will throw ridiculous amounts his way.

Ben's in his prime. Wallace is a year away from it and we need a #1 with Hines likely to diminish in the lineup after next season. A lot of older legs will be cut next year and Wallace will be our #1 priority.